Conversion of Tamriel Rebuilt 16.03 to Morroblivion

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
ponyrider0's picture
ponyrider0
7 years 6 months ago

Hi everyone!  Thanks for doing such an incredible project!  I wanted to let you all know that I have successfully converted the exterior worldspace (height maps, landscape textures, statics) of TR 16.03 (TR_Mainland and TR_Preview) to Morroblivion.  Conversion of the interiors, NPCs, and other objects may be completed soon too.  Currently, I am discussing the methods I used at the Morroblivion Developer Forum on TESRenewal.com (https://tesrenewal.com/forums/morroblivion-development/tamriel-rebuilt-conversion-update-full-landscape-from-1603-complete (link is external)) and have several screenshots there as well.

While I feel that the process is not at the point yet of producing something that end-users could use, I thought it might be helpful to start a conversation of how a conversion of Tamriel Rebuilt to Morroblivion could play into the rest of the TR project.  My guess is that eventually it could be kept as a separate “fork” of the TR project with hopefully permission to distribute either the converted datafiles from TR or just the ESM, but are there any issues which would require a different approach?

Here is a screenshot of Baan Malur integrated into the Morroblivion worldspace:

Templar Tribe's picture
Templar Tribe
4 years 12 months ago

Interesting….

10Kaziem's picture
10Kaziem
Asset DeveloperInterior Developer
2 years 7 months ago

Well, I would say, 1, that looks pretty cool, but 2, them some dangerous copyright waters. This needs some input from other leads.

Does: concepts, textures, youtube vids, admin stuff e.g. PR, handbook, assets, small website things. Activity level: wildly unpredictable. Still active. Find me on Discord.

Atrayonis's picture
Atrayonis
Developer EmeritusInterior DeveloperQuest Developer
1 year 11 months ago

First of all, this is pretty impressive. Congratulations on your achievement!

I’m however extremely sceptical on how this should impact TR.
For the record, we are first and foremost a Morrowind mod (and will most likely in the very long term turn into an OpenMW mod out of sheer necessity). The last time TR tried to mod TES4, the project ended up being scrapped and if you are looking for some official place or code support, I’m not sure that would be feasible.

Of course, as you want to distribute the ESM (the BSA, even a bulk converted one, is pretty iffy due to the many many copyrights involved), we’ll have to get back to you on that.

Kevaar's picture
Kevaar
Developer EmeritusQuest Developer
1 year 7 months ago

I’m of the opinion (+) it’s pretty darn cool! (+) it could bring more interest back to TR, but (-) care should be taken about the copyright issues, and (-) we’re a Morrowind mod team primarily and don’t want to get distracted into supporting a side project.

ponyrider0's picture
ponyrider0
7 years 6 months ago

Thanks for all the positive feedback!  An update on the progress: I’ve figured out a method which can batch convert almost all interiors/exteriors cells, statics, items and NPCs.  Creatures will take more effort.  Conversion of dialog, quests and scripts are not automated and will likely be a big undertaking and I’m not sure when/if that will happen.

Integrating the converted output into Morroblivion is the bulk of the work right now.  Specifically, it involves modding for the TES4 engine.  So probably the Morroblivion community will be the main place of discussion and support of this conversion.  However, I think it would be sensible to maintain an open dialog with the original authors of the Morrowind-based content when possible.

So thanks again for the amazing content and work you all have done over the years!