Hi all. I've been following TR for a while, but am only recently looking to become an active developer. From that perspective, one reservation I had when deciding whether to join -- which I'm sure other potential developers share -- was that I couldn't find much specific information on the current state of the project. While the Progress Report gives an overview of current and upcoming regions, and the planning documents cover the project's philosophy, I feel that putting more effort in this direction will help attract new developers. Specifically, here are some of the questions I had when perusing the website:
- Almalexia. It's clear from what I've read that we're postponing any development of Almalexia for the time being, but the city is also a bit of an elephant in the room for the mod's users. Do we have any ideas on integrating Tribunal content into TR? Are we keeping the rest of Almalexia from TR_Preview (I'm personally a fan)? At a more basic level, are we doing away with Tribunal's "quarantine" narrative for Vvardenfell?
- Sotha Sil is another, perhaps simpler concept. Although Bethesda's concept art shows it in the far south of Morrowind, someone here (can't remember who, sorry) had the interesting idea that Vivec/Almalexia/Sotha Sil should form an equilateral triangle. To maintain compatibility with SSE, we could always make the Clockwork City unreachable from the overworld. Hell, the exterior part could potentially be deserted for some plot-related reason.
- Great House Questlines. I've heard mention that each House will have its own questline. What forms will these questlines take? Is the Telvanni one done, or at least planned out in full? How will these work with the Vvardenfell chapters of each house?
- Other Factions. Similar questions as above. The factions of Vvardenfell are largely self-contained, so how can we integrate mainland content smoothly? For the Morag Tong, will every questgiver give the same writs, or will it be regional? For the Imperial Legion, are we going to stick with "Gnisis is the only place looking for new recruits"?
- A nice idea I read for the Temple (sorry I don't remember from whom) was that Vivec, Almalexia, and Sotha Sil each have their share of starting pilgrimages, and the player chooses between the three. Vivec's can be largely composed of Vvardenfell content.
- "Touching Up" Existing Content. I hear a lot that we're going to go back and "touch up" previously released regions, but what exactly does this mean? Do we only want to de-clutter cities, or are we looking to add novel content?
- And what about the content of TR_Preview? The western end of Morrowind looks great (although it's clearly incomplete). Are we keeping all of that work, or is any or all of it deprecated?
- Where Do We Go From Here? A big question I have is simply where (and what) we are developing next. Clearly the Aanthirin is the next immediate step, but it apparently (unless I have the wrong idea entirely) involves a lot of work on House Hlaalu, among other things. What's after that?
- On a related note, what are the bottlenecks to sort out for content we want to develop soon? I've heard that the Deshaan Plain requires new assets, for instance. Which assets, and what about other regions?
I understand that much of these answers can probably be found with enough digging, but potential developers might be turned away by that. Can we keep a well-advertised document or web page to answer (and explain) all of these progress-related questions? I would be happy to contribute to it myself -- I just need the answers first.