Children of Tamriel WIP May 5 2021

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mordigant's picture
Mordigant
1 year 2 months ago

I have decided to share a WIP demo verson of my Children of Tamriel project, so that COM fans on this forum may review it if interested and provide feedback.  This is still a pre-alpha, meaning it is not at all polished at this time.  There is no readme yet at this early stage, so I will share relevant information in this post.  I have copied (and updated where relevant) most of the original info posted in the previous WIP version’s thread so people who look at this WIP have an understanding of the ideas behind this mod without having to refer back to the other thread.

Only keep one version of my WIP at a time, and installing the new one will likely cause issues with save games where a previous WIP version was active. Since the kids don't really do anything yet such issues shouldn't be particularly terrible, though areas in the previous WIP will likely see their characters cloned as I changed the naming scheme I use in the editor since the last WIP.

Requirements: Children of Morrowind, TR Mainland, TR Data.

Currently, there are child and/or teen npc’s in the following areas:
 1 Acre of Saint Meris
 2 Adurin-Ouaka
18 Akamora
 4 Alt Bosara
 3 Ammar
 2 Ashamul
 4 Bahrammu
 1 Baldrahn
13 Bal Oyra
 1 Cephalod Keep
 1 Denaven Manor
 7 Dreynim and Spa
 6 Enamor Dayn
 2 Evos
 1 Felms Ithul
27 Firewatch
 1 Fort Umbermoth
 2 Gol Mok
 1 Hla Bulor
 4 Hlersis
 1 Hunted Hound Inn
 3 Ildrim
 3 Indal-ruhn
 1 Kellidan
 1 Lan Orethan Outpost
 1 Melethi Lighthouse
 2 Mundrethi Plantation
16 Necrom
 9 Ranyon-ruhn
 1 Rilsoan
 1 Sacred Lands Sanctuary
 9 Sailen
 1 Sarvanni
 1 Seitur
 1 Tahvel
 2 Telvanni Library
 1 Telvanni Waystation
 2 Tomaril Manor
 1 Verulas Pass
 5 Vhul
 1 Vlars Manor
 1 Windmoth Legion Fort

Details:
The plan is for “Children of Tamriel” to add kids and/or teenagers to settlements in TR.  My plan is with each release version of CoT to include whatever TR settlements are on Mainland at that time.  The CoT project will not touch Preview towns no matter how complete they look, due to various reasons including the demographic research I do on each town, some players choosing not to run incomplete lands, etc.  With each Mainland update I will go through and see if new towns have been moved out of Preview and into official release, and add them accordingly.  If and when TR is officially complete, there will probably be several hundred kids and teens all over Morrowind province!  There are approximately 400 in the original CoM on Vvardenfell and TR is much bigger so this project is likely to grow a lot over the next few years.  I am also trying to fit the kids to the town populations demographically, though in the case of teenage apprentices I am allowing myself a small degree of flexibility.  No little kids of a race in a town where there are no adults of that race, etc.

Younger kids I am setting up similar to the original CoM, with a sandbox in the settlements and the kids mostly centered around there.  I have scaled back the playgrounds from original CoM to just sandboxes for CoT as I feel the full playgrounds are out of place, though kids would likely have a play area in medium to large sized cities, towns, and villages.  The exception is Necrom, where I did not put a sandbox or play area due to its sacred nature. 

The original CoM mostly treated teens as big kids, and I am taking a radically different approach with those characters which is likely more lore-friendly.  Elder Scrolls is set in a fantasy world loosely based on ancient and medieval civilization, during which by teenage years people were already training for their careers.  Therefore, I believe that the teens of Tamriel, particularly in a dangerous and conflicted province such as Morrowind, would already be apprentices in their chosen (assigned?) careers.  For example, I have a few young soldiers in training for the Legion, amongst many other teenage apprenticeships.

I am not entirely satisfied with my additions to Dreynim Spa. Specifically, I have a teenage elf couple swimming together in the hot spring. I feel they are out of place given the more serious nature of the rest of my teen characters, though at this time I'm not sure what else I can do with them. After all, Dreynim Spa is a popular vacation resort.

Due to CoM usage rules each of the kids has a schedule script so they only appear during in-game daylight hours.  Also, they are unkillable.  If you attack one, they are scripted to teleport away, and even if there are no witnesses you receive a bigger bounty than for any other crime.  Guards will have a death warrant on your head pretty quickly if you decide to be a creeper.

I also decided to include a few of the isolated manors and farms because if there are children in a world there might be some families out away from settlements, and the teenagers in those isolated areas often count as the training apprentices I discussed earlier.

Finally, the CoM assets include baby carriers and pregnancy robes.  I have not currently implemented these features.  I do plan to put in some babies, though am undecided about whether to include pregnants.  Unlike the kids which are whole npc’s, using babies and pregnancy robes involves either adding or modifying existing adult npc’s.  I’m not sure how I want to implement this.  Also, original CoM only gives babies to women.  When I add my baby carriers, I plan to include a few dads too.

I will probably continue to post WIP versions periodically here until I have caught up with all the complete Mainland towns at which point I will release it to the normal places. After that updates will be whenever TR releases move new completed towns from Preview to Mainland.

If interested, please take a look and comment below!  Also, if you have ideas or suggestions, I’ll be glad to hear them.  I can’t guarantee I will take every idea into consideration, due to my limited modding experience, but I do not work in a vacuum.  TR is collaborative, always evolving, and this addon will likely reflect that as it rounds out an important part of Morrowind’s society.

AttachmentSizeDate
Binary Data _ TR_COM WIP 050521.ESP147.94 KB2021-05-06 01:36
Mordigant's picture
Mordigant
1 year 2 months ago

Quick update on the project. Work continues slowly. I have been juggling several projects representing a few different fandoms I'm in so if you want to look at how the project is going this is still my most recent WIP. I have added more kids since this file, I'm up to just under half the total number of planned children for this version. In addition, I have expanded the scope of the project. While my plan for the TR patch has not changed, I have decided to also make children ESPs for the Project Tamriel Skyrim and Cyrodiil projects. Each province mod will have a different ESP. Cyrodiil in its current state is just one island with one city, so its patch will likely just be something I can throw together in a weekend afternoon. Skyrim has more substance right now, but after preliminary demographics research I found that even though there are a number of small villages about 80% of the kids in that project will be located in the two cities of Dragonstar and Karthwasten, both of which will likely be multi-sandbox cities because they are so big. I plan to juggle the Morrowind and Skyrim projects as I have time to work on modding so I have a little variety in what I am doing. Do I want to spam-make Dunmer or Nords on a given session.

Atrayonis's picture
Atrayonis
Developer EmeritusInterior DeveloperQuest Developer
1 year 11 months ago

Good to hear you're still progressing!

I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do in Skyrim. It's even less childfriendly than Morrowind, I feel.