First and foremost I must say a formal greetings to the people of TR. I am new to the forum, and thusly lack much of the experience in how the project works in terms of who is listened to, how much say is up to who, what goes where, etc. So I beg forgiveness of those if this post is poorly placed or otherwise insulting to the core functions, ideas, philosophy, and such of the TR project. It is not born of anything but ignorance on my part. Now to the actual post
Looking around, I have seen some discussion regarding the Deshaan plains, a salty wasteland mostly populated by argonian slaves unless I am mistaken, under the warrant of House Dres. I have done a small amount of reading on the region, and the more I read about it, the more I start to think about what a perfect place it would be for vampires, or perhaps even a clan of vampires. The following should tell more about where I am coming from:
- The population of the region is mostly comprised of expendable humanoid cattle, cattle that nobody would care to search for in the event one had gone missing. Not only this, but if one were to find themselves dead and drained of their fluids, the plains would almost certainly make quick work of the body before it would ever be found, leaving it dificult to determine the cause of death to be vampires.
- The landscape provides a perfect hiding place. From what I’ve read, the Deshaan area is mostly a hazard to anyone there for prolonged periods of time. This means anybody searching around on the plains is going to rush things, and likely won’t search for too long anyways. Even if they get close to finding the hideout, there is plenty of time to pick up and leave to a new one. Not only this, but there is also an abundance of caves in the region if I am not mistaken, caves that I am fairly sure would more than likely provide the perfect hiding hole. It would be near impossible for them to collapse without some jostling do to how hard and strong the soil has become.
- The region is a backwoods one. This would fit well with the idea that vampires are a threat in the less inhabited bits of morrowind, especially since it is connected to the mainland, and by proxy Cyrodil, a place NPC’s will say (if I remember correctly) has a much worse vampire problem than morrowind do to the temple. Speaking of the temple…
- Conflict would be inevitably rich for quest exploitation. The Dres are much more traditional in their ways, and would likely see the vampires as an affrontment to their presence, and to the temple as a whole, more than the other houses, but the landscape means they can’t cleanse them as effectively. The fact that the primary victims would be slaves would also mean there wouldn’t be much of an outrage from anyone outside of House Dres to send warriors to deal with the problem, so they might have to rely more on mercenaries and hired hands to help ease the problem a little without endangering more of their own number. You probably see where I am going with this.
- These vampires could be significantly different from normal vampires elsewhere. This means it could provide something new and challenging for the players to overcome as they reach this area and move about more. Maybe these vampires are horrifyingly disfigured by the conditions of the plains, or look dried out and husklike to fit in with the theme? Perhaps the conditions have lead the vampires to become more ravenous than normal?
Now there is an issue/question that I have that must be answered: how tolerant are vampires to the toxic conditions of the Deshaan at its worst (flooding the caves with toxic chemicals), and could the caves provide adequate protection from these hazards?