As per the discussion on Discord, there was talks of making things a little more coherent with the existing Bethesda concepts that we know about now. Anything on Mainland that requires to rename would be part of 2090, and not something to worry about right now as we have other releases to deal with.
Old TR used the names for places from Arena, which is a good base as it is the only thing we have for canonical locations on the Mainland and where they would be. Of course, Morrowind retconned some of the names for something more interesting, but still didn't go really crazy with the changes, such as the concept map for it's early developement. Bethesda did still stick to their guns for the concept map for vvardenfell at least (as far as the major settlements are concerned). As they did have to sqaush as much as they could into Vvardenfell with time constraints, they did do a good job at following their own concepts from the beginning as much as they could have done.
This is just some ideas and what was proposed to change. And it isn't as bad as it looks considering for mainland the redo proposition is a village and Daedric Ruins (daedric ruins were brought up last year so figured to tie it into here too for safe keeping).
- Ildrim - Ildrim used to be called Darnim (as per it's Arena name Darnim Watch). Morrowind's concept map is called Darvonis Watch. Rename to Darvonis, which the V makes for a more distinct pronoucation when placed alongside Dondril and Dreynim Spa (which is what caused the rename in the first place). This would be best handled when Sundered Scar is getting it's volcanic makeover, so that it can all be handled at one time, and not getting in the way of current development on the areas that are not finished yet.
- Some Daedric Ruins have names that don't follow the typical rule of thumb for Daedric shrines. Such as starting with a not-established letter, or adding in letters that are not seen anywhere else. The following shrines from what can be seen to fit the redo are: Oethadapilu, Kharalambos Ruin, Lambinatha, Kisrashallat, Hesadsadshamallu, Hassulsallusalkit, Boethian Deeps, Hashucivodulnassu, Cirtiritashpi, Aurmazdi, Sirsadorran. These could do with a renaming to bring them in line with the rest of the Daedric ruins in TR and Vvardenfell
- Adurin-Ouaka - Could just call this Adurin. The added Ouaka is unnecessary.
- Kogo'Bal - Rename to Valandus
- Turen - Rename to Turendas
- Lumber Camp should be given a Morrowind-y name.
- Velothis Haven - This was supposed to be a settlement on the east coast of telvanni mainland (or possibly Glen Haven in arena). A small Velothi settlement. This place is refereced in dialogue during the Zainab Nerevarine quest from the slave bride. Open top canton with a port, Velothi population, Canal and Underwork overgrown by sadrith that have overlapped and expanded the port with the downside of making the lower levels flooded and inaccessible, waistworks residences, plaza converted to a farm set-up. There is a tower that has poked up through the middle of the canton, to which the Velothi were hopeless to stop it. The tower is known as Tel Llervu. Tel Llervu's lord is Andrano Llervu who is a sleaze that uses illusion magic to sleep around. he has a lot of kids as a result of womanizing and also illusion coming into play (chameleon, paralysis). He has a daughter known as Falura Llervu, who by accident, is a name Savile Imayn came up with for the telvanni bride for the zainab quest. Due to there being so many children, this has ended up being an actual person and so there would be two Falura's (one real one fake). Falura (the real one) is a daughter of a womanized mother who was a velothi and Andrano. Possible quest here and also a crossover quest for the mainland and vvardenfell.
The Llervu's are redoran, but as the battle of Molag Beran described, there are Redoran that fought the Telvanni on telvanni soil, so this could explain there being a redoran telvanni, a survivor who was a traitor to the redoran that settled down and basiclly doubled the family from his own loins. Redoran are known to have affairs so this is very much in character for Andrano.
- Norenen-Dur would be cool to have as a innaccessible ruin on the surface on the side of almalexia (like Sotha Sil or also like Anudnabia in Omaren Ancestral Tomb).
- Molag Beran and Tadras River - Rename Bosouada River to Tadras River (ouada means river, so river river looks odd)
- Bthalag-Zturamz, dwemer fortress with Azura ties.
- Khomayon (stronghold)
- Othandus (stronghold)
- Andvaryon (stronghold)
- Mora Ancestral Tomb
- Sailen - Salen Vulgate on the concept map. Vulgate would make for an awesome temple relic in Sailen's temple. Propped up for offerings and as a shield that heals warriors (ala. Vivec ashmask). This could make for a good pilgrimage site alongside greenheights mentioned earlier.
- Verarchen - Veranis. These are the arena name and the concept map name. It doesn't really need a rename as both are valid. Though Veranis is more dunmeri sounding. Either name works, it's just here as it was brought up.
- Silgrad - Silgrad Tower was a settlement on Arena and concept map. Repurposed as old Nordic Ruins under the now modern day Kogotel.
- Gaitaryon - Rename to Mandaryon
- Raled-Makei, Kherakah, Mkalzand and Bthulzand - Switched these three around. Raled-Makei is hard to get to (moved to mountains where Mkalzand used to be), Kherakah is an dwemer balistics school (moved to what used to be marked as Raled-Makei, as the structure is big and has lots of Dwemer turret crossbows on the exterior). Mkalzand moved to where Kherakah used to be (as this is a made up ruin and serves no purpose so far, so goes whereever really). Bthulzand shifted down to the small ruin so that Raled-Makei can be moved up into the mountains with at the large Dwemer fortress.
- Othrobar - A legit stronghold between Vvardenfell and Skyrim that has not been discovered. Put in the western inner sea because...it's not not been discovered.
- Frimvorn Pass - A pass in Marahk-Bazhul to Cyrodiil.
- Akgun - An Orcish settlement (a large orc camp) built from the remains of a Dwemer tower.
- Duathand - Dwemer stronghold with a massive underground section.
- Gunal - Dwemer Stronghold with a few shacks using it for cover (mini Dagon Fel).
- Ald Olyra - A second era Redoran fortress full of undead in the Grey Meadows
- Noormoc - The inspiration for the name Gnaar Mok. Noormoc is a Dagon shrine in the inner sea (across from Gnaar Mok). Settlers were searching for the fabled Noormoc. After not being able to find it, they settled for the swampy island off the west bittercoast with the creation of the village Gnaar Mok. Scouts and Catographers in the clambering Moors could tell the player about the Old Noormoc Ruins in the area, and how the settlers of Gnaar Mok never found it. This could encourage the player to go searching (and actually find it) as well as add some history to Gnaar Mok (origin story) which is always cool for world building.
- Vyndismaren (stronghold)
Changing of planned locations:
- Uneyn - Hla Rud. This is Hlarud made to look more dunmeri. Hlarud is another planned location in the Narsis district.
- Hlarud - Andrethis. The area west of Narsis has a lot of soft spoken settlment names that are quite short (Uneyn, Hlarud, Narun). It all starts to be a bit samey. Andrethis is one to break up the manotony, and is the name of a location from the tes3 concept map. This is an official name and also has more umph to it, which makes the other settlements nearby not seem so soft, as there is less of them and they are seperated. It looks like a memorable name, and it begs you to explore as it just has this sort of draw to it. It sounds like an important place in other words.
- Ald Lambasi - Ruined redoran outpost (redoran dungeon).
- Ferventhil - Hlaalu village part of Narusa's Winery. Local workers live here, as this is Narusa's stronghold.
- Old Keep - Having outlander farmers in the Thirr Valley call Ald Iuval the old keep (not capitalized) would be quite fitting. As that is what it is, and being farmers, they don't have time to get all fancy and call things by their name. This is dialogue flavour, nothing more. Example: "Could you bring these goods over to the old keep for me? It's just a little ways west of here."
- Ald Erfoud - Underground redoran ruins built under modern day Arvud.
- Ald Umbeil - Coastal outpost, redoran, destroyed (redoran dungeon).
- Chinzinch Pass (this I would like to do as it is the pass between Leftunch and Hendor-Stardumz. Thinking just having some dwemer statues with a map marker in an area that looks like a canyon top). Possibly the dwemer concept art recreated as statues (the staff and the hammer wielding dwemer concept is the one I am meaning).
Other places that don't need much discussion as they are lore locations. Again this is just for safe keeping:
- Vounoura (Morag Tong retirement island, probably too far away to even worry about)