Problems with 18.09

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
VorynDagoth's picture
VorynDagoth
4 years 12 months ago

Been trying to get 18.09 to work the whole day and I haven't a clue what to do at this point.

Did a clean install of MW and wanted to use my old saves that ran 16.09. Installed TR and MGSO, I run the two together, registered BSAs, ran saves through the patcher, wrye mashed everything, it still crashes every time I try to load.
Worth noting my old saves had other minor mods installed, houses and whatnot, which I haven't reinstalled but I assume it won't cause an issue like that.

Mlox kept telling me that TR_Data.esm is missing and the latest version came with Tamriel_Data.esm, dunno what to do about that. I read it could be a master file reliance issue but again, not sure what to do.
Before it gave me the “plugin couldn’t find the right master file” popup and now it just crashes.

Repeated the aforementioned clean install step about 3 times, same result. New TR seems to work with a new save file but I'm not sure yet, and either way, I would really like my old playthrough back if possible.
Devs, community members, anyone, any help would be tremendously appreciated

Telumendur's picture
Telumendur
3 years 10 months ago

Hey there!
I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble updating TR... It's difficult to determine what exactly is causing the problem, since the potential sources are numerous: you're using an outdated mod (MGSO), trying to import saves which contain references to not-reinstalled mods... It's a tough one.

This error message referencing TR_Data is weird, as well: 16.09 was the first release to use the new Tamriel_Data, so I'm not sure what this is all about. Was your 16.09 install itself an update from an earlier release? Also, were you running TR_Preview on that 16.09 install? This can break saves upon update, sometimes...

Here are a couple other questions & things to try out:

• Have you tried installing TR only (i.e. not MGSO), then importing your saves?
  • What do you mean when you say "I'm not sure new saves work"? If you get through character creation and can then reach the Mainland, then I'd say it's working.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Atrayonis's picture
Atrayonis
Developer EmeritusInterior DeveloperQuest Developer
1 year 11 months ago

VorynDagoth

Mlox kept telling me that TR_Data.esm is missing and the latest version came with Tamriel_Data.esm, dunno what to do about that. I read it could be a master file reliance issue but again, not sure what to do.
Before it gave me the “plugin couldn’t find the right master file” popup and now it just crashes.

The mlox that shipped with MGSO is outdated and, because MGSO is a collection of outdated and unpatched mods, will never be correct unless you yourself get the more up-to-date version from Github. Please read this: https://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/about/frequently-asked-questions/trdata

If your new game saves and loads correctly and your old game doesn't, then it's likely that the save game is simply fucked up beyond repair. It's ultimately impossible to know what is wrong with your game and if one of the mods you are missing is causing this or if TR is.
The only suggestion I can give you is to try if the pre-cleaning version loads with TR1609 (it's still available on our Nexus page) and then continue playing that version or try updating everything very slowly from this base.

VorynDagoth's picture
VorynDagoth
4 years 12 months ago

Hi, thanks a lot for getting back to me and for your help! I have since gotten my old character/playthrough back, sans 100 or so in game days and most of my mainland exploration, which rules out the crashes being caused by my Vvardenfwll house mods that were not present when I updated TR (had to re-acquire a few important items through console). As for the issue itself: before posting on here I did start a new save and got to the mainland without issues. And I am fairly certain I used TR Preview when I ran 16.09 (hence so much time spent sightseeing). Now, 16.09 is the first version of TR that I got to run, and when I was updating to 18.09, the mlox I have basically told me I’m missing TR_Data.esm *not* bsa, which in the latest version comes as Tamriel_Data. A bit of reading on this basically told me it’s an dependency issue with TR relying on a master file that’s missing and I need TR_Data.esm Pretty much everyone I asked said that MGSO causes a lot of problems because it’s an old mod, which sucks because I’m really attached to it. Those sakura forests in Lan Orethan are breathtaking. I wonder if there’s a similar overhaul that you guys would know of? Last unrelated question: What happened to Id Vano and the cherry gardens in Roa Dyr? I really miss those, but I’m seriously loving this mod!