I'm implementing The Exiled Duke's Affair as my showcase. It was probably supposed to be simpler than that, but I wanted to try out a bit of everything. If something doesn't fit, it can be removed, I'm not touchy about that.
"You know of Phyrios Mattimus, the exiled Duke of Deshaan? There's a rumor going on that he's having a love affair with a Dunmer commoner. And not just any commoner--a convicted thief who's being held in the Legion dungeons!" -> there's a Dunmer woman in the dungeon whom the Duke supposedly fancies, could be a social quest there. The thief stole something from the Duke’s chambers; the Duke caught her red-handed and fell in love at the same time. The thief’s in the dungeon cell, showered with fancy gifts. She isn’t into him.
What I actually did:
(maybe don't read this if you want to play the quest blind)
- The quest can be started either by talking to Beru Vesuri (the commoner in question) or by hearing the rumor (you will still need to talk to Beru though). The Duke doesn't mention his affair because I though that would be weird, but if you have the topic already you can ask him about it.
- Beru will ask for help beginning the first stage of the quest. You need to ask an alchemist to make you a drain personality potion and bring it to her. She'll ask you to wait a day, fail and begin the second stage.
- Second stage is you talking to people around Old Ebonhear (Ebon Tower's fine too) and spreading rumors about her. You need to all the different responses, they're random, but there're only 3 of them so it's not too hard. This will fail again and the last stage begins.
- The last stage is you beating her or using a really strong drain fatigue spell to render her unconcious, you then wait another day and it actually works, you go to Raleth and get your reward (amulet with constant effect fortify personality 10 pts. and a thank you note).
During any of the stages you can try to rat her out to the Duke, but it will only work if she told you about the last stage plan, but you didn't go through with it yet. It's supposed to be this secret little ending for people who try these sorts of things. The reward is 500 gold and 25 disposition with the Duke.
Also edited the rumors to reflect what's going on.
Things that I'm not sure about and other notes:
- I don't know how I feel about giving "drain personality potion" dialougue to every alchemist in the game, it works great and makes sense, I just hope it won't cause issues with other mods. Also it might not make sense for some people to be helping you.
- While Beru doesn't fight back after she asks you to hit her, she still yells hurtful things like "You n'wah!". I'd like her to stop, but I don't know if that's even possible, looks hardcoded.
- I added a condition to "His grace Phyrios Mattimus, Duke of Deshaan, came to visit the Ebon Tower palace some months ago and he's still here. Can't say I blame him. His duchy, the Deshaan District, is inhabited by unruly Dark Elves who have no respect for the Empire. It's better to be an exiled Duke than a dead one." rumor, but I'm not sure if that's okay because it's a bit outside this quest. Still, it didn't make sense to me that one rumor acknowleges his death and another ignores it.
- I used Raleth as the person to give you the reward because he's not involved in anything else and poor people knowing each other makes sense.
- I'm not sure if the quest is balanced well (prices, rewards, that sort of thing), it would totally work for me, but I'd like more opinions.