Interior Rules & Guidelines (UP-TO-DATE NOV 2011)

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Arcadea
Developer Emeritus

Interior Rules & Guidelines (UP-TO-DATE NOV 2011)

Post by Arcadea »

Welcome to TR, and the Interior Boards! :-) These are probably the busiest and most active sections of Tamriel Rebuilt at any given time, and the most common. Below are a list of guidelines you should follow when creating and dealing with interior claims in general. Morrowind interior rules are listed first, with anything changing for Oblivion interiors listed below.

Morrowind Interiors

Cells should be named as follows:
TR_i#-###
i#-### is the claims browser ID. So for example: TR_i3-180

ID Creation
All IDs must start from TR_ prefix. Following this should be the normal prefix of what the item is (key, cont, bk, etc.) After this comes the mX (where X is the number of the Map said interior is on) Next is the claim's ID, finished by a VERY short descriptor.
Example: TR_key_m1-100_PrivateDoor

Please use common sense when putting objects in! Putting a 'Flaming Sword of Death' or something illegal in the claim is a very bad idea. Please play-test it before submitting!!!
  • When Claiming
    It's necessary to lay out a basic or detailed plan for the interior, or the interior may not be granted. If you mention 'oh I'll make the fort good and cool', you have less likelihood of granting than if you went into more detail and used better English.

Make sure to download the exterior your interior resides in; this is very important! Check it out from several different angles to size up and fit your interior properly. For example, no triangular shaped interiors in a small rectangular exterior.

Lore
    TR's policy is to generally follow lore when it is given. If you think there is a dire need to bend lore, please take it up with a moderator!

Snap Grid
    Make sure all your interior tiles are aligned with snap grid. To do this, click on the button in your CS that looks like a coordinate plane. You can also access it via 'File > Preferences...'. Now try moving your tiles. As you can see, they move a very even number of points, and quite rigidly, with no weird decimal numbers. The snap grid works for all tiles and some objects. However, in cases such as object placement, it's better to manually place things. Interiors turned in without snap grid used may be revoked immediately in the event that the modder is no longer with TR. Another thing to note is that you may have to change the setting of snap grid (only accessible via 'File > Preferences' method) to a smaller number for better accuracy when placing certain tilesets. The biggest offender of weird numbers in this case is the Imperial Fort tileset.

Lighting
    Make sure to check your lighting to make sure it matches that of Bethesda interiors of the same style and size. The default lighting settings are a little too bright, and should be toned down to your tastes. (Please, test this in-game!)

North Marker
    The northmarker is essential, and should always be the first thing you place in your cell. It tells the interior in which direction North lies, so that the in-game mini-map will work properly.

"Cookie Cutter" Interiors
    The Reviewers will not accept "cookie cutter" interiors. In other words, do not copy and paste entire shelves and such from other interiors. This greatly cuts down on the uniqueness of TR. A person who has played Morrowind a few times can easily look at a shelf and instantly remember seeing it. Also, please do not copy individual items from prefabricated interiors either. The ownership stays with them, and has to be removed from each item one by one. Please click and drag items fresh from the object menus. We will catch you.

TR Moderators and Administrators will revoke any interiors that have copied materials with or without notifying the Modder. We will not revoke if we cannot prove that there is copied material, however proving so tends to be quite easy, so please don't try and slip anything by us. We'll catch you. ;-)

Cleaning
    Make sure your plug-in is clean before you turn it in. Use the program TESAME to do this. For an in-depth tutorial, please look at the Tutorials section of our Website found [url=http://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/?p=modding_data/tutorial]HERE[/url].

IMPORTANT!
    Please do not link your interiors to an exterior. This will be done at a later stage! If you have more than one interior cell in a claim, you may link the interiors together, but please do not make doors teleporting to the exterior.
    Please do not add NPCs/creatures to your interior! Those will be added later.

Review
    Luckily for the Modder, any errors found in the Reviewing Board are fixed there as well, so all you have to do is make the interior, and we'll fix any errors you make! :-)
I said I would return and I may have been right. The past must stay in the past as agreed. If the core needs me or has a job for me just ask for now I watch and write.

Former Moderator of the Core.
Was once called the Sotha Sil of the core.
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

Slight update on December 13, 2006

MORROWIND
It is a well known fact that Imperial and Nordic style items cannot exist in Dunmer style buildings, or vice versa. This small guide will tell what imperial, Dunmer, and Nordic style items should only be used in particular spots, and what can be safely ignored. Imperial things can be identified with the word "imperial" in their name, or by having "com" or "imp" in their ID. Nordic things usually have "nordic" in their name. Dunmeric things typically have "de" in their name.

Note:
  1. Furniture (including desks: Bethesda used table in imperial style buildings, since their desk style is Dunmer)
  2. Lights
  3. Armor
  4. Weapons
  5. Tapestries
  6. Mead
  7. Books
  8. Clothing
  9. Containers
  10. Chests
  11. Silverware
  12. Glassware
Ignore:
  1. Drinks other than mead
  2. Some houseware objects (a lot of the decoration things)
  3. Redware
  4. Rugs
  5. Bottles
Other faction based things to watch out for:
  1. Indoril(MH) display stands/planters, etc.
  2. Great house books.
  3. Imperial Guild based books (Mages Guild books for ex.)
  4. Ashlander/Nordic tribal clothing.
  5. 6th house things
  6. Make sure the right great house armor is in the right place.
Also look out for quest related things. For example, books like "The Lusty Argonian Maid" should be unique.

Remember to check for illegal items as well:
  1. Dwemer items
  2. Skooma and Skooma pipes
  3. Moonsugar
These things can only exist if they are VERY well hidden. Of course, the Dwemer items can be in the ruins.

MH plants should be found very rarely outside of Map 3, and northern map 6.

Expense with items is also an important issue. Just use your best judgment here.

Book placement is very important. Each faction has a different viewpoint on other factions. For example, since the Hlaalu like the empire, they will have imperial books. Since the Telvanni hate the Empire, however, they won't have any imperial books at all. This also goes for other factions. The Telvanni hate the Mages Guild, and won't have any Mages Guild books. Just use your best judgment here. The following link gives a page that will tell what book belongs to what category:

http://www.imperial-library.info/mwbooks
Elder Mod.

For now, I'm sleeping in my lightless city beneath the waves.

But someday ... I will be back.

Fthagn.
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

Here's a list of abbreviations you can and should use in your IDs.

Repair -- repair
Activator -- active, ac, act
Furniture -- furn
Exterior -- ex
Interior -- in
Terrain -- terrain
Magic event -- VFX
Armor (body part) -- a
Skin (body part) -- b_n
Clothing (body part) -- c
Creature -- cr
Apparatus -- apparatus
Light -- light, l
Lock pick -- pick
Probe -- probe
dunmer -- de
imperial -- imp
Common -- com
Rich -- r
Poor -- p
Intermediate -- pr, rm
Book -- bk
Scroll -- sc
Writ -- writ
Blood Moon -- bm
Tribunal -- tr
Fighter’s guilt -- fg
Mage’s guild -- mg
hlallu -- hh
redoran -- hr
telvanni -- ht
Imperial legion -- il
morag tong -- mt
Thief’s guild -- tg
Temple -- tt
Vampire -- va
Potion -- p
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

RULES FOR PROBLEM CLAIMS/MODDERS

Any interior that is sent back 3 times is revoked

Any modder who has 3 interiors revoked this way will be sent back to the showcase.

I do not forsee this being a problem, but I want this to be known on the off chance it needs to be enforced.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo