Necromic Armor

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

The armor could be white and then the fabric sections could be ashlander grey. That would make a nice contrast.
Lord_Gallant
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lord_Gallant »

I know I haven't actually made any concept art for the project, but I have had substantial instruction in visual arts. What Dexter and I are saying is very important; contrast is everything. I like the idea of the cloth being dark and the armor plates bone-like, but either way there needs to be decent color contrast or these guys will look bland.

Actually if anyone here is good with color drawing with photoshop, I think it would be a good idea to color in Dexter's last drawing in several ways just to illustrate this point.
Trudging through the relentless Skyrim snowstorms, the lone Paladin looks on in sorrow as the land of Tamriel evolves without him; his mind occupied with other matters.
Uldar

Post by Uldar »

Just a quick job here, perhaps not the exact colors you are thinking, but you get the point...

[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/Uldar/Necromic.jpg[/img]
I have decided to change my name to Art, that way everything I do will be a work of Art!

The Official 'Howitzer Wielding Jazz Musician' of the Tamriel Rebuilt Forums (est. 3/19/05)

The Artist Formerly Known As Uldar Gerzae
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

One the right but with more white with the plates would be good.
Túrelio
Developer

Post by Túrelio »

White doesn't really equal "holy" to the Dunmer I don't think, more accuratly I think it equals healing, or in other words, Restoration and especially white equals "peace"(Necrom could be all white, for the final "resting" place of all those souls). Just recall the life of St Meris, that is a good example if I remember correctly. The color isn't that signifigant, so I think it is ok to have something that helps contrast.

If anything, blue and gold are the holy colors of the Temple.

Edit: Let me try something with it in PS real quick, see if I can get it to show up better...
My Art: [url]http://demi-urgic.deviantart.com/[/url]
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Wow, that's too much trim if the gold is going to be that color. The cloth is good. Make the trim a lighter color.
The armor needs to be darker, much darker. Especially the bracers.
Off-white and yellow do NOT go well together here.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

White is the colour of necrom so it stands to reason that the armor would have white elements.
Lord_Gallant
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lord_Gallant »

Just as a suggestion, with the gold trim, make it so that it is black trim with gold detailing inside. That separates the gold from the off-white and provides better contrast. I also think that the either 1) the chest cloth should be much darker or, failing that, 2) the chest cloth has a thick black trim on its edges.
Trudging through the relentless Skyrim snowstorms, the lone Paladin looks on in sorrow as the land of Tamriel evolves without him; his mind occupied with other matters.
Túrelio
Developer

Post by Túrelio »

Ok... this is my impression of that description, dunno if I got it right but we'll see.
[img]http://img144.echo.cx/img144/3549/necromordinator2gold1b6rv.jpg[/img]
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

That's the closest to what I was thinking that I've seen so far.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

You REALLY don't want me to come back.
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

Looks really sexy.
[img]http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/3336/oblivionforum5tb.jpg[/img]

Your friendly slavedriver.
Túrelio
Developer

Post by Túrelio »

Stalker wrote:Looks really sexy.
Oh, the sexy part is all Dexter's :P
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I think that loks great but for total contrast it might be an idea to make the currently light-yellow armor pieces pure white. Just a thought.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

That would give it a manufactured look, which is bad.

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

The cloth could be a tad darker, but the armour pieces are good as is. Maybe some gold runes or rims on the loincloth? Just a bit, to toe it in with the skirt piece.

But the face remains my favourite part. It looks just awesome.
Elder Mod.

For now, I'm sleeping in my lightless city beneath the waves.

But someday ... I will be back.

Fthagn.
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

We don't want the armor to be pure white. I doubt anything in Morrowind could stay pure white for more than five minutes. What we want is a bone color for the armor plating.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Fair enough.

It would be nice to have it quite shiny but I dont know if that is possible with the MW engine.
Vegor
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vegor »

If this doesn't deserve a place in the Concept Art section on the main site I'll set my ass on fire.

Looks perfect to me. I think this would work fine instead of a robe. Especially the mask looks perfect.
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

If its going to be a full set(or close to it) then its best to leave it to asylum for now. I don't want to wind up overwhelmed and discouraged by my first morrowind modeling project.
"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact, it's all dark."
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

I like Uldar's, to the left, with a black trim instead of gold. It'd be fine, the "white" is offwhite enough that it does have contrast. It's more of a light yellow.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

It may look good on paper, but in the game it will be very different. With a light, bone-colored armor, you should not group it with a dominant white cloth. The black trim will not be enough to balance it out. This will create an aesthetic that will cling to darker colors. Unfortunatly for the concept, Dunmer skin will show in the hands and neck. Without dark cloth to balance this out, the Ordinators will be eyesores.
Trust the artist on this one.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Grey just seems weird, maybe red? And then the skirt can be white with red trim?
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

Well, it'll be a gray with a cyan tint to it. It won't be a colorless gray.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Actually, red makes more sense. Like a maroony type of red. It could symbolize the blood of those who had died valiantly, or something.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Maybe outline the streaks of tears on the face with red? To signify the noble and valiant blood that has been shed by the tombs' occupants, with the normal tear-streak in the center of the outlines to signify the sadness of the Dunmer for the loss of such great blood?

Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

Me and Uldar will be discussing the textures more later tonight. In terms of aesthetics, I can tell you right now that a cyan-gray will look best. Red holds a lot of significance in terms of blood and whatnot, but it is also a very heavy color. The Dunmer do not seem to use red very often, and the Temple uses blue fairly often.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

It's not hard to make both of them, right? They're just retextures, after all. Then we can decide.
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

What pieces are to have new meshes? I'm good for the pauldrons, but not quite ready to take on more than that yet. I could model it fine, but with morrowind's body part system, it might wind up really odd looking.
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

Everything but the boots will have to be new. Most of them can be slight modifications of existing meshes, however.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

I'll give the whole thing a try. but beware, this is the first time I'm making a model for morrowind. all my previous work has been from detailed scaled plans and tons of reference photos(mostly aircraft).
Vernon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vernon »

Can you physique? That material will be really hard to physique realistically.
welp
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Explanation of the Necromic Ordinator's armor (ingame dialogue style)
A Necromic Ordinator with grey cloth wrote:Yes, I am Necromic Ordinator. Our armor is whiter than the common Ordinators who guard other Temple districts such as the outer streets of this city, Neommaeor, Vivec, and Molag Mar. Our helms bear the proud and noble face of St. Olms, like all Ordinators', but his face is sad to mourn for those who died young and his hair is white to celebrate those who lived a full life. Our cloth is grey, the color of ash. We humble ourselves before those who gave their souls to the Great Ghostfence of Vvardenfell, for their lvies alone keep the true evils of the ash away from our lives.
A Necromic Ordinator with red cloth wrote:Yes, I am Necromic Ordinator. Our armor is whiter than the common Ordinators who guard other Temple districts such as the outer streets of this city, Neommaeor, Vivec, and Molag Mar. Our helms bear the proud and noble face of St. Olms, like all Ordinators', but his face is sad to mourn for those who died young and his hair is white to celebrate those who lived a full life. Our cloth is red, the color of blood. We thank those who gave their lives at the Red Mountain and who gave their souls to the Great Ghostfence of Vvardenfell.
Túrelio
Developer

Post by Túrelio »

That sounds pretty good, but two things I would change. I don't think they should be called Necromic Ordinators, that still seems to much like an Elite Elite thingy, they should be Ordinator Honor Guard, or Necrom Honor Guard.

Also, we shouldn't say specifically that it is St Olms' face, that is still very much a theory not a confirmed fact of lore. We can still say that the tears represent his mourning however, and just leave the face up to the player to guess at, just like it always has been.
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

can't physique yet, but making the armor is no trouble.

on the pauldron, should that double don't know what to call it be part of the upper arm mesh or the shoulder mesh? its kindof right in the middle.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

On the normal indoril the upper 'wing' was part of the clavicle (shoulder bit) and the lower one was part of the upper arm. Since these point downwards they should probably be part of the Upper arm and then the topmost one should be the shoulder bit.
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

Shoulder mesh. Upper arm is only the part which reaplces an upper arm. Everything which is on it is shoulder. Also those things to which cloth is attached to must be on cuirass I think.
[img]http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/3336/oblivionforum5tb.jpg[/img]

Your friendly slavedriver.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

If you need help assigning body parts with armor, give me a call. I got to know them all intimately with NAoT. Thanks for that, by the way, Stalker. :-P

Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

No, what I was looking for was actually what part of the mesh (upper arm sleeve or shoulder pauldron) to attach the "double wing" to. not in tescs.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Im Pretty sure it goes with the upper arm sleeve, looks that way with regular indoril
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

The plates Eraser is referring to are part of the shoulder piece, as you can see with the other Indoril armors.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie