CS Questions

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Thane

CS Questions

Post by Thane »

1. Are any of TR's interiors copied from original Morrowind interiors? (I do this and was just wondering if it was okay for people working on claims to do)
2. How do you take a screenshot of the render window in the CS?
3. How do you take a screenshot in Morrowind?
"We are the Knights who say-NI!"
"Now bring us a shrubbery"
"A nice one, but...not too expensive..."
Kothloth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Kothloth »

1. Are any of TR's interiors copied from original Morrowind interiors?
No! This is strictly forbidden, you'll see it being to referred as "cookie-cutting" and something of the worst things you can do for the project. Interior-makers who repeatably do this will be banned from making interiors.
2. How do you take a screenshot of the render window in the CS?
Use "printscreen" button, and then paste the image in a graphics tool such as paint or whatever.
3. How do you take a screenshot in Morrowind?
You have to put this line in your morrowind.ini file:

Screen Shot Enable = 1

Then you just have to press F12 ingame and the screenshots will appear in your morrowindfolder.
[/quote][/list]
Thane

Post by Thane »

Kothloth wrote:
1. Are any of TR's interiors copied from original Morrowind interiors?
No! This is strictly forbidden, you'll see it being to referred as "cookie-cutting" and something of the worst things you can do for the project. Interior-makers who repeatably do this will be banned from making interiors.
Why? Sea of Destiny did that, but as long as you redo the furnishing you can't tell it's the same room. Heck, didn't Bethesda do that in Morrowind?
Kothloth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Kothloth »

We're not Sea of Destiny, and cookie-cutting is more of a problem then simply a moral one; when you copy a whole interior you'll also get all NPC owner ships, possibly hidden(or not hidden) unique quest items as well as the possibilty for the player to recognize himself from Vvardenfell is there. No, modding this way is strictly forbidden. And if you're going to copy an interior and reset all ownerships, remove all quest-related stuff and throw around all objects you can just as well start over from the beginning, there shouldn't be any more work (and it will also guarantee that your interior will be totally unique, and that's always a good thing)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

If you are making an interior you could always look at an identical building and copy the architecture of the inside, but dont copy anything else. By arcitecture, I mean all statics marked with 'in_'.
Vegor
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vegor »

As Koth said, we are NOT Sea of Destiny and cookie cutting is strictly not allowed. This has been announced in several forums already. If you feel the need to just bluntly copy Vvardenfell (or anything else, for that matter) in the sake of progress you shouldn't do any interiors at all. Every interior should have some uniqueness to it and just copy pasting other stuff does not help the quality of our interiors and/or the quality of our mod in general.

Additionally, copy-pasting of other TR interiors or your own interiors (provided those were submitted for TR) is also not allowed. Copying the shell of an interior is fine (which is what Jale suggested), but even for that I would advice you to try and be creative and do it yourself, especially with larger buildings. I do suggest you to look at similar interiors in game first and compare their size to their exterior. Then you know the general size your interior should be.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

:lol: Did you really say we should do something like Sea of Destiny? If I remember correctly that was one of the mods that didn't get good reviews.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Thane

Post by Thane »

That's I meant copying the shell of the interior. That's what I do, I hate wasting time putting the interior pieces together, but I enjoy furnishing the interiors and such. SoD was once ranked #1 on a Morrowind Mods site, not that it matters because that mod is very poorly done. However, it has been downloaded a lot.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

I did some playtesting on SoD, and I created some tree houses. It's a nice mod, and 'clone is a nice guy, so it's unecessary to draw his effort (which was really good considered him doing almost everything) into this discussion. TR won't accept copy-paste interiors. Period.
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
Cjad the Nord

Post by Cjad the Nord »

I don't understand. Putting together an interior out of the building statics is pretty much connecting around 10-15 pieces if it's slightly bigger than a small house. With Snap to Grid and Snap to Axis, this can be completed in 5 minutes if you're familiar with which parts you want to use. Then you can move right on to decorating. I find that building interiors from scratch is not only more enjoyable and accomplishing, but it doesn't take that long.

Deleting everything from a cookie cutter takes as much time as it should to piece together an interior of your own. There's no point.
Pwn: "The term has become so ubiquitous in Internet circles that it is often used outside of gaming contexts; for example, "he just got pwned in that debate" or "the hunters pwned that bear."
Thane

Post by Thane »

For those of us who can't get Snap to Grid and Snap to Axis to work it makes plenty of sense.
Vegor
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vegor »

Well even if you copy past the stuff it should be grid snapped. I really can't see grid snap being to hard for anyone. There's just an icon on the top of your screen, click it and grid snap is on. It's the small grid icon. Read my tutorial in the tutorial section if you can't find, it has the pic of the icon.
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

If you can't get snapping to work, then chances are won't get anything else to work (it will look horrible) and the interior will be revoked.
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
Thane

Post by Thane »

lock this thread-my questions have been answered
wishmaster

Post by wishmaster »

[img]http://www.abfnet.com/forum/images/smilies/locked.gif[/img]