Mournhold area terrain

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Anonymous

Mournhold area terrain

Post by Anonymous »

I know you've already done the area around Mournhold and Almalexia, and it looks great. I was wondering about how accurate the terrain is, though. Tribunal added alot of new plants and trees that are seen around the city in planters, and also new rocks if I'm not mistaken. While I see that you've used these items in minimum, it seems to me like the developers were implying that the terrain around Mournhold was based entirely off these features. I was wondering if there wasn't a way to create a new texture set out of these items, and if so, how feasible it would be that we could change some claims to accomodate it. I still have alot to learn about editing this game, so I'd love to be corrected or just yelled at if I said something stupid in this post.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I like to think that because Mournhold is so Holy ((with a godess around the corner and all)) they have all these werid god made plants. Like Alma was bored so she invented a couple new plants that are now planted around mournhold ((there seeds got out of mournhold in small douse but for the most part they don't exist anywhere else.)) Of cousre this is just a cheap reason for why there are like no morunhold plants in the rest of Almalexia.
Arthmodeus
Developer

Post by Arthmodeus »

That doesn't make any sense at all. No lore states that any of the Tribunal "got bored" made a new type of plant (that I know of).

Vvardenfell is a very unique place in terms of flora because of the Volcano and the fact that it is an island. It would be very plausible for Mournhold flora and textures to be in the rest of the mainland.

EDIT: @Littlebros: Ok, I read the rest of your post. You weren't serious.
Kothloth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Kothloth »

We tried to mix the new plants with a mixture of old texturesets (westgash and ascadian isles) to give it a different, yet familiar look. We thought this worked well, especially since a lot of stuff was missing from the mournhold flora to make up an entire new textureset.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Ok, that's what I was wondering. I'm going to try to make it a goal of mine, once I learn how to use the construction set to make a convincing texture set for the Almalexia area. Even if it's too late to use in TR, I still really like the style of plants they came up with for Mournhold, so it'll be fun for me.
Earl
Developer Emeritus

Post by Earl »

The impression I always got from Mournhold was "We're a big important city, and as a big important city we're going to plant and maintain stuff native to other regions to show how cosmopolitan and superior we are. That, and these foreign plants look really nice."

Although I never checked dialog for more details about the plants.
I have kleptomania, but when it gets really bad, I take something for it.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

thats what i thought
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

There's really no way to prove that those plants are native to the Mournhold area. When I think back to Morrowind, though, I sort of remember the planters you saw in that game always featured plants native to the region the city was in. It doesn't really matter though, since there's no specific lore pertaining to that subject anyway.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I dont think that the cacti would be native to morrowind, more likely Elsweyr
Arthmodeus
Developer

Post by Arthmodeus »

Of course, because of the xenophobic nature of Morrowind, they would probably not traverse into other provinces to get things besides slaves. I say put Cacti in Amalexia.
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

The cacti are actually native to the fairly arid southwestern region of morrowind.
As for people not using those plants, I'm equally (if not more) stupefied. How can people WANT to make some bland clone of vvardenfell, which is supposed to be unique anyway? I like what they did with "mixing up" regional flora in the almalexia area, but I dont see it anywhere else, sadly.
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload