New Literature Moderator

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Earl
Developer Emeritus

New Literature Moderator

Post by Earl »

New lit mod.
Majra was in charge first, then Jacurutu, and now me.
The forum was Arcadea's idea, and Yinnie did much of the initial moving-in.
I mention that, of course, so I can delete some threads :D It was looking like a TR history lesson in here.
I'll be doing more of that as I go along. Cleaning things up. Don't worry. I know what I'm doing. If you really must flail your arms in alarm, take care not to knock anything over.

General guidelines are similar to those that have gone before.
But just to review:

1) When submitting a new book, create a thread who's title is the name of your book.
2) Please include the general idea of your story BEFORE anything else. If your work is lore-heavy, you might want to clarify here exactly how your story fits into lore before people who might know less about your specific subject get riled up. Also, it's helpful if you state the author's name and race so if there's some kind of bias in the writing, it's clear why.
3) Copy and paste your story into the body of the post. Don't add it as an attachment. That's just silly.
4) If your story contains multiple acts or chapters, or other divisions (or hell, you've only written it up to a certain point)... just add those parts later by posting in the thread when the first has been more or less okayed, or when you've got 'em done.
5) The story will be reviewed for lore. If the story doesn't fit into established lore, the burden to fix any issues is squarely on the writer. While TR members might be full of suggestions, don't expect them to write your story for you.
6) Once lore is cool, then spelling and grammar will be checked.
7) Once the three moons of lore, spelling, and grammar align properly... I'll give the writer some time to confirm that yes, (s)he has nothing left to add or modify, and the story can be considered finished.

a) If your story is (or will be) long, it's a good idea to post part of it... so if it's lore-breaking, we can reject it right away and save you time :)
b) If you don't give an author name and race (and the book isn't supposed to have an anonymous author), those will be provided by... whomever suggests something halfway decent.

This is the kind of thing we're looking for. Just so, if you do want to write something, you're not left with the "Open ended essay" feeling. The "Not entirely open essay" feeling being presumably better. These aren't specific guidelines of OMFG YOU MUST WRITE SOMETHING LIKE THIS, just general ideas to think about if you want to write, and have trouble thinking of an area to write in.

REFERENCE - Guides to flora and fauna, details about geographical regions, language, various how-to books (eg "How to forge a really really kick ass sword", "The ins and outs of castle construction"). Basically anything not remotely adventurey, things that fit well in a list structure, things that the regular person might consider dry and boring.

RELIGIOUS - Propaganda and deep study, compare and contrast Tamrielic pantheons, observe legends and myths... Add detail to belief structures. You know how certain people mouth off about Tribunal Temple saints? Something like that in book form.

SOCIO-POLITICAL - Detail of social structures, caste systems old and new. Propaganda and demonization of "the enemy". Things that sway the reader to see the inherant justice in a given cause. Social dos and don'ts of various cultures, anecdotal examples, racial legends.

GUIDES - Differentiated from reference materials by a more general or local interest, or marginally more adventury. Things like "Basic survival in Morrowind", or "Guide to [City]".

HISTORY - Who was king when, and what did he do? The Brief History of the Empire books would be good starting points to help flesh out Tamrielic history. If you're going to go this route, I expect you to be more familiar with lore, and have done some research to avoid lore conflicts. Although if a point is fuzzy, by all means ask. That's what geeks are for.

POETRY - For the love of God, people. I know you're going to write some regardless of what I say. From what I've seen, most of the poetry we have is relatively short and abstract. So if you want to do something epicky or write a play, knock yourself out. Or even just specific to some TES event, war, person to take it out of the completely abstract... Just for variety, you know.

ADVENTURE - omfg yes! TR needs adventure stories so badly that you just wouldn't believe. Seriously. I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but I'm pretty sure we have what's called a "super mega glut". Really, we can do better. Let's shoot for "unscaleable mountain". So go ahead and write adventure stories, but they better be good. I will be a dick about this. If you must write an adventure story, by all means try and fit it into one of the other categories to escape brutality. Mysteries and horror stories would, I suppose, fall into this category. I will, however, be nicer about those because they stand out from typical adventure stories.

SPELLBOOKS - Spellbooks are a special case, and while they will fit into the above categories there are other considerations. Historically, they have been mostly adventure-types and poems. Like my lungs, spellbooks are close to my heart.

You may have noticed that the Majra Decimal System post is gone. I'm not sure what I'll be doing in terms of organization -- whether I'll use that or not -- but either way I figure that the information isn't useful to posters. I copied and pasted the post into a txt file, so if I do decide to use it, it's not just gone. Just letting you know where another ancient sticky post went.
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

Jac's left, has he?

Anyway, congrats and good luck :)

BTW: You might want to add though "Please very few assassin stories" in the ADVENTURE category, since before that was stipulated, TR was swamped with them and nothing else. There is probably more than enough of them already.
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

First, congrats.
Second, for futher reference, do not delete threads (of course if they aren't in and out stupid) - move them to Forum Archives instead.
[img]http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/3336/oblivionforum5tb.jpg[/img]

Your friendly slavedriver.
Earl
Developer Emeritus

Post by Earl »

From the Spellbooks, Part I and Spellbooks threads. I'll be moving Spellbooks to the Finished forum, because I think I'd be shot if I just deleted it. But there was so little going on with Spellbooks, Part I I just axed it. All these books are [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/?p=lore/books]here[/url], so I'm guessing they're all done. No need to clutter up the lit forum with done things.

A Frozen Instant
Stedfast
Reunrefined
Pride Unbound
New Found Health of Galodus
The Faithful
Various Uses of Magika volume 1
A Taste of Sugar
Means to a way of life
Runaway
The Bone Song
Hands Off
A Mother's Diary
Still Image
Silver Wing
Olgol gro-Muk's Private Notes
Dalgor's Journal, Part 1
Kindled Fire
A prayer to Azura
Weight of Guilt
To entangle a dream
Reverence
Battlecry
Jorin’s Jornal
Letter of a Vampire’s Mistake
Foundations of Protection
Three Sonnets
Ill-Fated Vengeance
Chaotically scrawled note
Beast War Song
A Small Kindness
Interrogating Dunmer
A Just Punishment
Blood Beat
A mason's song
Hand in Hand
On elemental Daedra
The Torment of Klausein, Act I
The Torment of Klausein, Act II
The Four Rings of Eternity
An Adventures End
The Spectrum study
A Fable from the Valenwood
The Emperor's Hand, Part 1
Seeking Home
Meeting Across the River
On The Move

[Should have unstickied the post before moving it. I'm such a n00b :D]
Last edited by Earl on Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have kleptomania, but when it gets really bad, I take something for it.
Earl
Developer Emeritus

Post by Earl »

Stalker wrote:for futher reference, do not delete threads (of course if they aren't in and out stupid) - move them to Forum Archives instead.
I figured with a project like this, whatever saves space would be a good thing.
...Although with Grafield offering webspace to members all the time, I should have realized it's not much of an issue.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Kudos, Earl.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Good job.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

Earl wrote:
Stalker wrote:for futher reference, do not delete threads (of course if they aren't in and out stupid) - move them to Forum Archives instead.
I figured with a project like this, whatever saves space would be a good thing.
...Although with Grafield offering webspace to members all the time, I should have realized it's not much of an issue.
If we were worried about the space we wouldn't have created Archives in the first place :) Forum post database is not that big actually. I remember it wa around 8Mb... Plus every spring Forum Archives will probably be flushed leaving half of members postless. Mwahahaha :)

Xui'al
Developer Emeritus

Post by Xui'al »

Where would plays fit in?
'What if man is not really a scoundrel - man in general, I mean, the whole race of mankind - then all the rest is prejudice, simply artificial terrors and there are no barriers and it's all as it should be.'
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Poetry.

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

Xui'al
Developer Emeritus

Post by Xui'al »

Even when they aren't written in an iambic format?
'What if man is not really a scoundrel - man in general, I mean, the whole race of mankind - then all the rest is prejudice, simply artificial terrors and there are no barriers and it's all as it should be.'
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Yup. And you shouldn't be so picky, because there is such a thing as Dactyllic Hexameter. :-)
Last edited by Haplo on Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

Congrats Earl, this forum really needed some cleaning and makeover.
THEO
Xui'al
Developer Emeritus

Post by Xui'al »

Yes, I did forget that, I am not a huge lover of poetry or plays. What has been written for plays? Perhaps someone could right some more under the name of whoever wrote 'The Horror of Castle Xyr,' and make the playright for that a sort of Tamrielic William Shakespeare.
Psyborg

Post by Psyborg »

Good job, Earl.

One question, though, wasn't it just like four months ago there were too MANY adventure stories, and there was a sticky on "no more adventure stories, or else"? Maybe not. Oh well, I guess I'll get back to writing them, then. Never was very good at essays.

Psyborg
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

reread what he actually posted and you will see what hes saying. In fact he is reemphasizing that very point
R:6 I:22 N:30
Screw it, I'm back for sweet sweet TR

Uldar Gerzae: Expect no dodgeballs out of my arse. Though if something were to shoot out of me nether regions it mgiht be wise to dodge it all the same
Zalzidrax
Developer

Post by Zalzidrax »

Couldn't think of a better person for the job, meself. Excellent work Earl.
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

Congrats Earl :) I'm sure you'll do an excellent job.
Psyborg

Post by Psyborg »

Majra wrote:reread what he actually posted and you will see what hes saying. In fact he is reemphasizing that very point
Ah yes. Sorry.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
Kasan Moor
Developer

Post by Kasan Moor »

So, I guess I need to send you my updates of BoT, so you can merge it with BoT? I used to send them to Majra.
"Bling shizzle, here's a revizzle . . .oh god, I'm so white. . . "
-Jacurutu

"and since Armor of Tamriel has been delayed longer than Half Life 2, I have no idea if it exists or not." -Dexter
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

Actually I'm now the merger of OoT. And I'm absolutly unware how BoT mergin took place, who assigned the meshes etc. etc. etc.

Kasan Moor
Developer

Post by Kasan Moor »

I added books to BoT. I got to choose from the BoT meshes and icons. I gave them values (Majra was supposed to check them, don't know if he did, I guess he did) etc. I made the ingame books. Then I submitted my update to Majra. He ran through them and merged it with BoT main.
-Jacurutu

"and since Armor of Tamriel has been delayed longer than Half Life 2, I have no idea if it exists or not." -Dexter
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

OoT Main you mean. OK. Than please do the same. If you'll take a look at all previous books and reasign the meshes for some of them it will be great too.

Kasan Moor
Developer

Post by Kasan Moor »

No, BoT main. Majra always put up a new version of BoT here at the forums. I don't know if these are included in OoT main.

And I could check them, I'll look into it.
-Jacurutu

Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

All books are included to OoT main.

Xui'al
Developer Emeritus

Post by Xui'al »

How often are the books updated to OoT main? I could really use my own Basic Guide to Telvanni Construction in one of the caves I am doing for Earl.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Um...as soon as Stalker talks with Earl, and gets the new BoT merger situation situated, we'll be good.

Kasan Moor
Developer

Post by Kasan Moor »

I am willing to give BoT a boost, but I need to talk with Earl first. I have his email, but he hasn't been online yet.
-Jacurutu

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Kasan! Are you back? Or just visiting?

Earl
Developer Emeritus

Post by Earl »

Kasan Moor wrote:I am willing to give BoT a boost, but I need to talk with Earl first. I have his email, but he hasn't been online yet.
HAHAHAHAha. hrm.

Considering the time difference, it might actually be possible. I don't know. I'm usually on around 11:00 pm - 3:00 am eastern standard time.
Kasan Moor
Developer

Post by Kasan Moor »

Well, technically, I never left. I was just lurking for some time. Earl, maybe we should discuss this through PM?

Zephyr said he needed someone to help check the spellbooks and add them to OoT.
-Jacurutu