The Writings of a Bored Dunmer

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Sniper4
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sniper4 »

by Drulam Punasin

For days I have kept myself inside my shack. I'm too tired to work, but I'm so bored that working almost sounds like a good idea. I must admit that I am quite lazy. I will sometimes go for several days without eating, because I don't feel like hunting. Sadly, I have nothing else to do. I simply spend these days staring at the candle in front of me, and doing unusual, unnecessary chores around the house. I have become tired of this as well. Thus, I have decided to waste some time and write something. I'm honestly not sure what to write.

There's really not much around here for me to write about, other than my own laziness. The flame on this candle seems to be dying down. I need to get a new candle sometime, since this one has lost most of its wick. I need money to do that, however. Sadly, in order to get money, I must hunt and sell some of what I catch. That would also mean hunting even more than usual to make sure that I have enough to eat. I just wish that this wasn't the case. I really need a new candle, however.

Maybe I could give up this life as a poor hunter and become a thief. At night, I would go from house to house plundering all that I could get my hands on. Then I would be able to afford my candle, as well as a few other things. The nearest town is far away, however. I really don't feel like going that far. Plus the town guards are supposed to be quite clever. I doubt that my thievery career would last very long.

It's still early in the evening. I can't think of anything that I want to do right now. I have rearranged the furnishings in this little shack twice today. Maybe I need to get a real hobby. I can't think of anything for me to do out here in the middle of nowhere though. Instead of hunting, I have considered taking up farming. The only problem is, I don't have the money to buy the tools that I would need to do this. The only tool I have is a cheap iron spear that I use for hunting.

After all this boredom, I suddenly feel like hunting. However, it is too dark outside to do so. I really can't think of anything else to write at this moment. I will just go to bed.
Earl
Developer Emeritus

Post by Earl »

Instead of hunting, I have considered taking up farming. To sit in the shade and watch plants grow... such a thing sounds just this side of pleasant. And rather than hunt every so often out of necessity, I would simply plant. Maybe the crops would even grow year after year, so I wouldn't have to reseed them. The only problem is, I don't have the money to buy the tools that I would need to do this. The only tool I have is a cheap iron spear that I use for hunting. I suppose I could get some use out of it, scaring away wild guar that try to pillage my fields... but now this is sounding like far too much work as well as investment.
I have kleptomania, but when it gets really bad, I take something for it.
Sniper4
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sniper4 »

by Drulam Punasin

For days I have kept myself inside my shack. I'm too tired to work, but I'm so bored that working almost sounds like a good idea. I must admit that I am quite lazy. I will sometimes go for several days without eating, because I don't feel like hunting. Sadly, I have nothing else to do. I simply spend these days staring at the candle in front of me, and doing unusual, unnecessary chores around the house. I have become tired of this as well. Thus, I have decided to waste some time and write something. I'm honestly not sure what to write.

There's really not much around here for me to write about, other than my own laziness. The flame on this candle seems to be dying down. I need to get a new candle sometime, since this one has lost most of its wick. I need money to do that, however. Sadly, in order to get money, I must hunt and sell some of what I catch. That would also mean hunting even more than usual to make sure that I have enough to eat. I just wish that this wasn't the case. I really need a new candle, however.

Maybe I could give up this life as a poor hunter and become a thief. At night, I would go from house to house plundering all that I could get my hands on. Then I would be able to afford my candle, as well as a few other things. The nearest town is far away, however. I really don't feel like going that far. Plus the town guards are supposed to be quite clever. I doubt that my thievery career would last very long.

It's still early in the evening. I can't think of anything that I want to do right now. I have rearranged the furnishings in this little shack twice today. Maybe I need to get a real hobby. I can't think of anything for me to do out here in the middle of nowhere though. Instead of hunting, I have considered taking up farming. To sit in the shade and watch plants grow... such a thing sounds just this side of pleasant. And rather than hunt every so often out of necessity, I would simply plant. Maybe the crops would even grow year after year, so I wouldn't have to reseed them. The only problem is, I don't have the money to buy the tools that I would need to do this. The only tool I have is a cheap iron spear that I use for hunting. I suppose I could get some use out of it, scaring away wild guar that try to pillage my fields... but now this is sounding like far too much work as well as investment.

After all this boredom, I suddenly feel like hunting. However, it is too dark outside to do so. I really can't think of anything else to write at this moment. I will just go to bed.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

It could be part of a collection of early works/journals written by this guy, who later became famous, and is revered enough to have his earlier life documented in some sort?
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Sniper4
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sniper4 »

Hmmm... I was planning for it to just be some random book. I wrote it when TR's hard drive went down and I had nothing to do. If it's of no use or interest to TR, then by all means, get rid of this thread, please. I'm sure we've got plenty of well-written adventure stories to make books like this useless.
Earl
Developer Emeritus

Post by Earl »

I was planning for it to just be some random book.
Is there some way to make an item appear in random loot only once?

It'd be funny to have a few books -- or other things -- show up randomly, but uniquely. This book, for example, would give a nice WTF moment. "What the hell is it doing here?"

You know. If people noticed at all.
I have kleptomania, but when it gets really bad, I take something for it.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

A unique chest. Or it could be a random book on a desk or something.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Sniper4
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sniper4 »

By random book, I meant just a casual, normal book... but it is kinda boring for that.

However, about the WTF moment idea, what one can do is make a container that has objects in it that, even though they are not randomly generated, match the types of objects found in the original leveled lists perfectly, and add the book in with that. That way, it appears as if it came randomly, but it didn't.
Abramul

Post by Abramul »

Or have it use leveled lists, for actual randomly generated items...and also have the book.
Tamriel is an impossible place, built on impossible precepts. It's, frankly, a magic ball of sentient schizophrenia. --MK