Quest Idea: A Weakened Vampire

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Dr.Evil

Quest Idea: A Weakened Vampire

Post by Dr.Evil »

(my first constructive post :) )

For the quest, we need:
-NPC: 3 lvl 1 Commoners with no other purposes
1 Vampire of average strength
-Reward : Gold (about 300) / Scrolls or Spells (with vampire-style effects)

Plot:
Either guided by local rumors or by chance you find a strange hideout with a vampire in it. He won't attack and as you approach there will be a forced dialogue, in which he tells you that he is injured and needs fresh cattle, but is too weak to get it himself (he's afraid of the guards or something like this).
So he asks you to help him... If you don't agree, he will see his last chance in feeding on YOU and attack you (which should be a challenging fight for lower level pcs). When you kill him, you can take his gold and the quest is done.
if you agree, he will tell you to lure some commoners to his place, who can easily be disposed. So you go to the village and ask the people in the street, whether they want to travel with you to the hideout. The npcs will ask you why they should and only to the 3 special commoners you can give a reason in a dialogue (choise between "reason" and "nevermind").
One of the commoners will be a male orc, whom you can tell that you found a great treasure in that hideout and need help with carrying it away. For a disposition of about 60 he will agree.
Another person you might ask is a dunmer woman (neither exceptionally good looking nor well dressed). Provided a disposition of 80+, she will trust your judgement and come with you to "meet a promising mister, who sent you to arrange a meeting".
The last option is a weak-looking bosmer male (for the less persuasive) who can be threatened to follow you or come willingly if he likes you enough ("for some adventure or so").

If you lead a victim to the vampire, the screen will blacken a while, you hear some noise, and your "companion" will be lying dead on on the ground.

For the first victim, the vampire will give oyu his gold, saying the he would appreaciate some more fresh blood.
After the second he feels strong enough to either teach you an absorb health spell or give you some absorb-health-scrolls he just made for you (so you wouldn't get them by killing him). He would also appreciate one last piece of cattle to regain his full strength.
If you bring it to him, he might make you some good scrolls - e.g. Scroll of the Windwalker or teach you another spell like levitation/charm person or anything that's linked with vampires.

A vampire hunter might also be added to the quest, so you can lead him to the vampire and let him finish him of. But in my opinion, more than one vampire hunter is already too much even in a mod of this size (the topic has been used too often) and there is already a vampire hunter quest as i see.

So far - what do you think of it???
Abramul

Post by Abramul »

At first, it sounded like one of the Vampire quests on VF, but seems unique enough to me.

Nitpickage: Term shouldn't be "Cattle". That is a non-vampire who is kept for food, rather thatn being killed.

Second thought: Why doesn't he attack YOU? Maybe this should be a Vampire quest only?
Tamriel is an impossible place, built on impossible precepts. It's, frankly, a magic ball of sentient schizophrenia. --MK
Animunculi

Post by Animunculi »

Maybe the vampire doesn't attack the player because the player is ready for a fight already and the vampire himself is too weak to kill someone who might struggle against him.
Abramul

Post by Abramul »

Sounds like a good explanation.
Tamriel is an impossible place, built on impossible precepts. It's, frankly, a magic ball of sentient schizophrenia. --MK
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

Actually it might work better if you bring him some cattle that he does NOT kill. Gives the PC that nice, warm, tingly, I did the right thing feeling that just makes them want to write home to mom and tell her about their day!

-Starcrunch
Dr.Evil

Post by Dr.Evil »

or maybe that way.......
like this, the evil players could still rejoice on the "how could you betray me" part of the tricked companions. :twisted:
ChickenHawk

Post by ChickenHawk »

i like it, just add some reason why the vampire is so weak and it'll be a great quest.
cool
Dr.Evil

Post by Dr.Evil »

He could have been hurt by the guards the last time he searched for a victim in the town and since he was noticed, the guards were more careful from that day (especially because the vampire escaped). So he no longer dared approaching the city and nobody came along his hideout, whom he could have fed on. Consequently his hunger kept growing and now he is near starvation and even weaker. So he has to be tricky and asks the player for help, because he isn't sure, whether he could handle him in this state and considers him a threat. And soon as the player brought him the first victim the vampire is thankful and no longer wants to attack the palyer.
The rumor of the failed vampire attack might also lead the player to his hideout (something like "he left that way") and could result into an extra reward from the locals for killing him.
Rishanor

Post by Rishanor »

Possibly add another option to bring the vampire some real 'cattle', like a Guar or maybe even another creature.

This may irritate the vampire (since the player somehow mocks him), so that it attacks the player after completely draining the cattle.

------------

Another addition to this quest may be to, in continuation of the guard-plot in one of the posts before, to tell the guards about the hiding place of the Vampire and give the player the option to kill the Vamp with a guard as a companion, preferably the guard that wounded the Vampire.
This may possibly add the option to 'give' the guard to the Vampire, upon which the player would get a nice reward from the Vampire, information on the different clans of Vampires, possibly the choice of becoming one. This may be a nice reward for low lvl characters.
Dr.Evil

Post by Dr.Evil »

I don't believe that vampires can feed on animals (otherwise he could have been living on the rats in the cave or some creatures coming along) - at least not well. They need humanoid blood.
Your second part is a plot I had planned with a vampire hunter but dropped it (except that there are no vampire hunters, this topic is far from originality). But the way you put it, it could be implemented again and the player has all the options I had in mind :D very well