I don't know if this has been suggested yet but...

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

I don't know if this has been suggested yet but...

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

would it be physically possible to make a program (hardcoding not scripting) that would be able to take the data files for oblivion, and convert (through shinking of exteriors and removal of buildings and caves) it into a morrowing file? Or am I just a hopeless dreamer?
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Xui'al
Developer Emeritus

Post by Xui'al »

Not a clue. While I am sure there is someway as nothing is totally impossible, Oblivion has yet to be released and almost nothing has been said about the new CS. I would assume that there is no quick or easy way.

Just wondering...
Are you worrying your PC won't be able to play Oblivion and you want to play it in the Morrowind engine?
'What if man is not really a scoundrel - man in general, I mean, the whole race of mankind - then all the rest is prejudice, simply artificial terrors and there are no barriers and it's all as it should be.'
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

If it were possible it would be illegal. They have said that they will prosecute anyone messing around like that.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

NetImmerse technolgy has been replaced by Gambryo.

This would effectively mean that the NetImmerse File (NIF) format probably won't be used. Or if it is, it will be a modified version.

So, if by 'data files', you mean 'meshes', then I suspect that porting any data elements betwen game versions just won't be possible, including textures. Most of the tools you are using now will be redundant with TES4 game elements.

TES3 models were done Max4(?). I doubt that TES4 models will be. Bethesda will be using as many of the new features available in MAX6/7 as possible.

Whilst Oblivion looks great and I really want to see Radiant AI in action, there is still of lot of life left in Morrowind. I am actually hoping that TR will stay around for a long time after Oblivion comes out.

With all the things that other people have worked on and given away, I can't justify just dumping them all and the associated knowledge just for 'the latest version'

I spent four years fidling about with 'The Sims' I threw out 30,000 downloads of other people's work at the end of it. I never bought SIMS2.

It's crunch time folks....
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

I am not worried that my computer will not be able to play oblivion, I know it won't, I am saving every penny I get to fix that. What I was thinking was that if we could convert the basic terrain from oblivion to morrowind (all buildings excluded, I mean ONLY the basic terrain) then it would take a huge part out of the work will need to do for cyrodill
Reviewing Administrator

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Xui'al
Developer Emeritus

Post by Xui'al »

What engine to do is a decision that the core will make in the future. (Not the hear future, because I don'tr believe for a second that it is going to come out Sept. 30. Read the newest article, the Bethsoft guy says he doesn't even know what medium it will be on for PC.)
As for your new PC, if you want power for a decent price get an X800XL ($350CAN) Athlon XP 3200+ (much cheaper then 64-bit, but the FSB sucks) and a gig of RAM. We don't know yet, but I would think that a 256meg video card is basically essential to make ESIV look and play really, really good.
'What if man is not really a scoundrel - man in general, I mean, the whole race of mankind - then all the rest is prejudice, simply artificial terrors and there are no barriers and it's all as it should be.'
Vernon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vernon »

Actually, FFVT3R uses Gamebryo and it has a NIF exporter. The story may be different with TES4, however. Also, Beth are using max 5 for TES4, so porting would be easy enough, but we already know there is no importer that can deal with morphing or animation. :( And Gamebryo is only middleware. It isn't the whole engine.
welp
Assassinace
Developer

Post by Assassinace »

Not that that's that important as getting cyro in morrowind won't be on the list till after we finish morrowind :p
(I'm not going to say discussing things like this is pointless but it is a bit silly at this point.)
Xui'al
Developer Emeritus

Post by Xui'al »

The core will decided later on anyway. I would assume that we will be seeing Elder Scrolls V only a short time after Oblivion, as I would assume that Bethsoft will use an enhanced version of the current Oblivion engine. Which, provided that we went on to use the new engine, would make things alot easier. (so long they used an enhanced engine and not a new one.)
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

I was just thinking that if this is possible it might be a good idea to start planning, and finding good people that know how to program.

oh, and I thought it was already decided that we were going to stick with the morrowind engine for TR.
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Xui'al
Developer Emeritus

Post by Xui'al »

Not that I know of. I would assume the core will decide as soon as we see Oblivion.
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

it was decided we would finish morrowind province in the tes3 engine. chances are we'll be switching afterwards, the devs have specifically said that making projects like tamriel rebuilt would be easier in the new CS. how insulting would it be for them to mention us specifically and then ignore the new engine?
"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact, it's all dark."
Xui'al
Developer Emeritus

Post by Xui'al »

But we can't just import meshes over can we? (We would need new textures as well, as the TES3 ones would stand out in the new engine.) Do you think that Bethesda has some special interest in TR? That perhaps we could port over our work from Morrowind (provided that is semi-possible) in exchange for their exclusive rights to use Morrowind in a future retail product?
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

Here is the answer:
Until Oblivion comes out, we don't know. I have said this over and over in many different threads around the forum. The Oblivion thread in the Lounge, for example, probably should have listened to this. Anyways, what I am saying is that without Oblivion installed on our computers, there is no way to answer this question, and so discussion about it is pointless.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

You REALLY don't want me to come back.