Parent claim: TR_1-9-Tel (#25)
Claimed by: Parted User
Files: None

---

Quest Title: In Search of an Apprentice

Quest Type: Misc.

Quest Maker: Starcrunch

Story:
Background: Inera Ilneram's sone now works for her ally in PT Rantella Irenam. Inera is a very strict Wizard in House Telvanni and works on use sorcery to improve the art and power of alchemy (all of this already exists in Map 1).
Initiation: If the player is in the mainland Telvanni faction a possible latest rumor in PT will be that the reclusive Inera Ilneram is searching for an apprentice. The player must be in the Main Land Telvanni faction, though the quest has no bearing on the main quest line (starts in PT, Ilneram Manor). This is because Inera is not very friendly to non-Telvanni and won't give the PC the time of day unless they are a member. She mentions that she needs an apprentice to aide her with her research and asks that the player find on for her while the PC travel through Telvanni cities and towns. The player is told that the candidate must have the following properties:
1.) Interest in the subject of alchemy.
2.) Interest in the subject of sorcery.
3.) They must be talented in the area of magic.
She suggests that the player look around and to not be concerned with the candidates race, sex, or upbringing. This starts an open ended quest the PC can complete while working on other things. The PC is also told to interview any potential cnadidates and consult with Inera before one can be accepted.
Search: The following people will be potential candidates; the PC can speak to them about being Inera's apprentice (an * denotes a character that will be created as part of the quest, the letters in brackets indicate the city they are in).
1.) *Malethan Ilnene - She will look ok and demonstrate some knowledge of magic, Inera will hire her (long run this ends less well). Consult the section titled Option: Malethan Ilnene for more details. [PT]
2.) Dro'Khatsire - A free Khajiit in PT, declines offer on grounds of not knowing magic. [PT]
3.) Dunel Varys - Declines, no reaoson given but suggests asking Mila and Tenos Siratha. [PT]
4.) Ero Endravel - Is a Dunmer alchemist. He declines because he is not magically able and knows it. [PT]
5.) Maja Timys and Gulnel Timys - Put forth their son (Malenes Timys) as a possible candidate. They say that he is an adventurer and is now in Gah Sadrith working in the service of House Telvanni [PT]
6.) Lothros Ildia - Declines, as he knows only a bit of magic. [PT]
7.) Lervathi Arvel - A mage. Accepts and makes the PC a potion to demonstarte his alchemy skill (which he is very proud of). If the player takes the potion to Inera she is very disappointed. She claims she can train someone in alchemy but first they must recognize they need training. She does not offer him a postion and he is most unhappy with the player who he accuses of sabotaging his chances, this leads to a disposition drop. [PT]
8.) Tenos Siratha - Declines, as he doesn't want to be away from his wife. [PT]
9.) Mila Siratha - Declines, as she can't bare to be separated from her husband. If the PC is in good standing with her she admits it's really because she is having an affair with Ero Endravel and it would cut into her time to spend with him. The player can tell her husband, but he already knows (that's his reason for not wanting to become Inera's apprentice). [PT]
10.) Sharn Mantiti - A Dunmer battlemage. He has other obligations to House Telvanni. He suggests Ilwer in Gah Sadrith. [PT]
11.) *Varnes Eram - The grown son of Drelo and Adaisi Eram. He works in Tel Themin as a servant. His realtionship with his parents is strange, and they basically use him as their property. He will be the best choice and gives a nice demonstration of the magic he has picked up just by watching the archmagister. There is more to his story and the PC has to do more, this is described later in the the section entitled Option: Varnes Eram. [PT]
12.) Ilwer - An Altmer spellsword. Declines, he has served his mistress for over a century and being very loyal. [GS]
13.) *Erinis Timys - She is in GS as her parents say. She has passable knowledge of both magic and alchemy and will accept. Consult Option: Erinis Timys for more details. [GS]
14.) Gavis Thelas - Wants the job but won't give a demonstration. If you speak to Inera about him she won't take him. [GS]
15.) Gavat and Dralsen Reram - Bemoan the death of their son who they say would have been perfect...nothing more to this just some atmosphere. [GS]
16.) Dran Solobar - Declines, he says he knows no magic. [GO]
17.) Adryn Seloth - Suggests his sister Atrenis Seloth [GO]
18.) *Atrenis Seloth - Demonstrates some spell knowledge, and Inera grudgingly takes her. This ends badly. Consult Option: Atrenis Seloth for more details. [GO]
19.) Triva Andolril - A Dunmer noble. She will suggest that as a noble her son is the only logical choice. [GO]
20.) *Garres Andolril - Declines, he wants nothing to do with magic. [GO]
21.) Arthel and Verana Eindari - Suggest both their grown children as worthy candidates. [RR]
22.) *Tenen Eindari - Will fight a duel with his sister as part of his demonstration. The winner of the duel will be accepted by Inera. Consult Option: Eindari Twins for more details. [GO]
22.) *Vetes Eindari - Will fight a duel with her brother as part of her demonstration. The winner of the duel will be accepted by Inera. Consult Option Eindari Twins for more details. [GO]
The instant the player informs a candidate they have been accepted by Inera (who must be consulted) this part is over and the PC may not choose a second one. This means the player can interview many potential candidates but until a final decision is made the PC can keep looking.
Option: Malethan Ilnene: The interview goes well enough, Malethan shows basic knowledge of magic, demonstrates a few simple spells. Inera will accept him when the PC consults her. The PC can now return and tell him, he will appear in the Ilneram manor if the player visits inside of 1 week and disappear from his current location (it will be an exterior in PT.) Inera pays the PC 150 gold for finding the apprentice (regardless of what happens, even if Malethan is already dead). After a week has gone by the Malethan is gone. Inera will tell the player he died in an accident involving not taking care while practicing alchemy. Nothing further may happen, Inera has decided she doesn't want another apprentice.
Option: Atrenis Seloth: This goes pretty much like above, only he died by poisoning himself because his theoretical knowledge of magic far exceeded his practical knowledge and common sense. Again the player is given 150 gold whether or not Atrenis has died yet (he lasts a week too).
Option: Erinis Timys: This goes rather better. He gives a pretty good showing of his skill and Inera takes him. She pays the player 150 gold. Erinis appears in the manor. After more than a week has gone by Erinis is very happy with his job and gives the players some pretty nice potions (Exclusive Invisibility and Exclusive Chameleon). [If you play Murder and Intrigue quest you know Inera is very good at making Illusion potions.]
Option: Eindari Twins: This one is a bit longer. The twins will be near each other in the exterior of Ranyon-Rhun. They will agree to fight a duel to demonstrate their abilities (this is not to imply they hate each other, they are competitive but still blood). This duel is NOT to the death, and if one dies the other will not accept (this will only be possible if the PC interferes). They will be evenly matched; the loser is decided by the first one whose health falls below a certain level. You may consult Inera about both (regardless of the winner) but she will only take the winner. The winner will appear in the manor after they are informed of Inera's decision (and the PC get 150 gold). After 1 week the winner will say they miss their sibling who they had never been separated from for so long in rural Ranyon-Rhun. The PC is asked to give the sibling 100 gold for traveling to PT (this is provided by the winner). If the player does so the sibling will appear in PT (just outside the Ilneram Manor, or maybe inside depends on space). If the player talks to Inera they learn that she has decided to retain the sibling as well for making the right impression (and giving some nice suggestions, which while Inera had already explored them impressed her). Inera gives the PC another 150 gold and the twins will give several potions of their own making (unique, rather strong but not on level with the potion Inera gives you to kick off part 2 of Murder and Intrigue).
Option: Varnes Eram: This one is more difficult for the player. Varnes grudgingly agrees to give a demonstration, though he is very unsure of how it will go. His first spell is an attempt to summon a Flame Atronach. The atronach arrives but turns on Varnes. If the player does not intercede Varnes will die and this option is cut off. If the PC does save him he will explain that he'd never tried that spell before but had seen the archmagister (his boss) do it once. If the player knows the spell (and has Willpower>80, Conjuration>80) the PC can tell Varnes how to do it correctly. Varnes will then do it properly (this has an impact on the interaction of Varnes and the PC throughout and effect Varnes's reward at the end). Varnes does a few other spells he's seen other Telvanni wizards do. He doesn't read all that well because his parents basically didn't feel it was important. The player consults Inera who really likes what she hears (this guy is a magical prodigy). When the player returns the Varnes he says he won't do it. His parents want him to continue the job at Tel Themin so they can use the money. While he hates them they are still family and he won't disobey his father (basically Varnes doesn't stand up for himself and has been beat down so many times by his parents that there is nothing left). If the PC speaks with the parents (Drelo and Adaisi, who are in their housepod in PT) the player is told that nothing short of 1000 gold pieces are acceptable, for letting go of their grown son. The player has two ways to deal with this:
1.) Pay them (or of the PC is of high rank just flat out threaten them, Inera won't pay).
2.) Kill them.
3.) Consult Varnes and go with him to bargain with them.
Option 1.) and 2.) are both fine, and Varnes will take the position. He is sad they are dead if the PC kills them, but he is also relieved. Option 3 involves taking Varnes back to his home. The parents are unhappy and Drelo will basically beat his grown son up verbally before he starts a figth (Hand-to-Hand). The player both interferes and kills Drelo or doesn't. If the PC does not interfere Varnes will acquiesce to his father's wishes, if the PC does kill him (and his wife who will join the fight) then Varnes goes with the PC as in option 2.). If Varnes makes it to the Ilneram Manor then the PC is given 150 gold by Inera. After a week if Varnes's parents were alive he will admit to having murdered them (basically they fucked him over his whole life and he snapped). If the PC goes to their home they can loot the bodies. They can turn in Varnes to the guards, but the guards basically ignore it and won't do anything about it as they consider the killings justified (and what killing isn't in Telvanni lands!). After 2 weeks (regardless of the status of the parents) Varnes is feeling better and Inera is thrilled by the progress he's made. She gives you a nice potion (the same one she gave the PC in the Murder and Intrigue quest). Varnes will teach the player a spell with a rare (though not unique effect). Absorb Magicka or Fortify Attack being top choices (both are pretty rare).

New NPC's Involved: (** = dialogue only)
Malethan Ilnene [PT]
Varnes Eram [PT]
Erinis Timys [GS]
Atrenis Seloth [GO]
**Garres Andolril [GO]
Tenen Eindari [RR]
Vetes Eindari [RR]

Old NPC's Involved: (** = dialogue only)
** Inera Ilneram [PT], quest giver
Drelo Eram [PT], father of Varnes (he may end up dead)
Adaisi Eram [PT], mother of Varnes (she may also end up dead)
**Dro'Khatsire [PT]
**Dunel Varys [PT]
**Ero Endravel [PT]
**Maja Timys [PT]
**Gulnel Timys[PT]
**Lothros Ildia [PT]
**Lervathi Arvel [PT]
**Tenos Siratha [PT]
**Mila Siratha [PT]
**Sharn Mantiti [PT]
**Ilwer [GS]
**Gavis Thelas [GS]
**Gavat Reram [GS]
**Dralsen Reram [GS]
**Dran Solobar [GO]
**Adryn Seloth [GO]
**Triva Andolril [GO]
**Arthel Eindari [RR]
**Verana Eindari [RR]

Locations Involved: I list only those that will need to be changed not those with NPC's that only have modified dialogue or only NPC's modified.
1. Port Telvannis, Ilneram Manor -- Quest given, apprentice will appear here.
2. Port Telvannis, Tel Themin -- Varnes Eram will be found here
3. Port Telvannis -- Malethan Ilnene will be here, and one of the twins may appear here (this is an exterior)
4. Gah Sadrith--Erinis Timys is here (this is an exterior)
5. Gah Oudarhun, Wetstone Tavern--Atrenis Seloth is here (this may be the wrong tavern, it may be Gah Sadrith's tavern name instead, can't recall)
6. Ranyon-Rhun--The twins are here.

Dialouges:
favor
apprentice
Malethan Ilnene
Varnes Eram
Drelo Eram
Adaisi Eram
Erinis Timys
Atrenis Seloth
Garres Andolril
Tenen Eindari
Vetes Eindari
demonstration
murder
latest rumor

Thanks for your patience,
-Starcrunch
Last edited by Starcrunch on Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Wow, that's crazy cool. My only thoughts...

-This shouldn't be House Telvanni only. It's so big that I think it needs to be something more people will get.

-The whole Eindari Twins afterquest seems like a lot of additional questmaking for nothing. You could probably make another quest in the time it takes to make this, and it's not very likely that the player will find the twins AND come back to do the afterquest.

-Varnes going to his parents seems like a lot of additional qusetmaking for nothing too. The player isn't likely to go ask his advice, considering they already have his stance. Leaving it at him begging the player to do something would be better, in my opinion.

-You may want to cut out 1 or 2 of the noes, it just seems overwhelming.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

Whoa! That was excellent, open-ended questmaking there.

I disagree with Sload Lord and think it should be restricted to House Telvanni members only. In fact, I go as far as say all Telvanni mage-lords should have a mini-quest series available only if they are House Telvanni. In similar fashion to the ones you get from the councillors and Baladas on Vvardenfell?

Indeed, the Eindari twins after quest might be a bit too much unless a questmaker is commited to seeing it all through.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Actually, Nomadic, this is not a Magister who is giving the quest. The Map 1 Magisters are: Mistress Eldale, Master Mithras, Archmagister Rilvan Dral (or something similar)), Mistress Rathra, and Mistress Faruna.

Also, I am fine with each magister having a quest for the player. I, however, think that this is to huge a quest for Telvanni-only. It makes it seem less worthwhile (to me atleast) to make it when you know that around 1/5 players is even going to have the chance to get it, and probably less than half of those are going to even find it.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

Oh yeah :) Anyway, I still don't mind the idea of it being Telvanni-only.
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

It will change Inera's character to make this available to everyone. I made her long ago with an eye toward her being rather severe. She doesn't deal with people of Non-Telvanni standing, but other than that she has nothing against the player (or anyone else). I do wish this could be available for everyone but unfortunately that really isn't the Telvanni way, and Inera is very proto-typical of the Telvanni (except she own no slaves; though it's really because she thinks all slaves are untrustworthy, she'll tell the player this if they ask). Quests open to everyone in Telavnni lands really need to come from commoners, paupers, some poorer store keepers and maybe an independent minded and very isolated higher members. And maybe Mistress Eldale she seems like the type that may use non-members to do things that need doing. BTW Telvanni Counilors are of rank Master, there are actually no Magisters in all of Map 1 or on Vvardenfell (that's the deadend rank the PC can achieve but means he has bowed out of the race to be Archmagister [my interpretation of the rank based possibly on what was a bug on Vvardenfell]).

Nomadic1: I intend to make this myself, though it will be slow going since I'm working on the FG questline too.

Sload: As for stumbling on the quest, if the player is Telvanni they will have a better chance than you may think. Inera is mentioned in dialogue for the Odrethi's (she is their enemy) and Rantela Irenam (her ally). In addition the Murder and Intrigue quest sends you to her for the final act if the player is in Telvanni (she comes up with what is a very nasty plan for getting revenge on the Odrethi's), that quest can be started in the Irenam Manor or in Redram Oran's House (he is the murdered retainer of Rantela). I also intend to right some misc. dialogues in PT latest rumors that refer to her (I have amended my 1st post to reflect this).

-Starcrunch
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

Dex: Can I get this approved? I'm submitting FG 2&3 and I can get to work on this one while I await reviews.

-Starcrunch
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

Okay, here is how I want the dialogue to be handeled:
In each town where a potential apprentice is located, there should be a dialogue topic for everyone in that town about the apprenticeship. If the NPC is not one of the NPCs given custom dialogue to fit their reasons, their response should be something like "oh no, I've not the talent for it" or "no, I've got a job, thanks". This way, the PC will not think "why does this person have a response, but not this person?"
Besides that, it is good for me. It won't matter of the other NPCs are involved in quests, since one little dialogue topic won't mess with any scripts or activators that may be attached to them.
Green light.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

You REALLY don't want me to come back.
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

Ok. Generic dialogue will probably go for something a little more vague along the lines of not interested, no real reason given. Also Slaves, Ranking Telvanni (Rank>Mouth, maybe they can add some suggestions on who to ask with specific dialogue), anyone with NoLore (which should also cover all slaves if their makers knew what they were doing, it really pisses me off when NoLore checks aren't put on general dialogue), and gaurds will not reply as this is not really a topic pertainent to them. This means all Shopkeepers, Commoners, and Paupers (and other people) should still reply to the topic. I have also noticed I forgot the town of Tel Ouada, there will be no acceptable people their (i.e nothing but some dialogue). I'll start this tommorrow I think.

-Starcrunch
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

Great. Approved.
Edit: I know I didn't make this an actual claim, I am still trying to headbutt my way into understanding the claims browser for quests. Majra didn't really explain it all that well to me...
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

You REALLY don't want me to come back.
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

This is on hold until Map 1 is up and running again (interiors fixed, ect.).

EDIT: I have made this a real claim rather than an announcement like it was before.

-Starcrunch