Propylon Chambers, A Study [Awaiting Grammar & Lore Check]

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Anonymous

Propylon Chambers, A Study [Awaiting Grammar & Lore Check]

Post by Anonymous »

Ok this should be correct:

Written by an Imperial

Propylon Chambers, A Study

Theorising on the chambers
Not much is known about the Propylon chambers, except that they were built by the ancient Chimer (the race now known as the Dunmer) in their topside Keeps, (often referred to as ‘Old Dunmer Forts’) to protect against attack from the Nords. They can also be used to travel vast distances quickly, not unlike the transportation services offered by the Mages Guild.

To initiate the Propylon, a stone known as an Index is required, and it is thought that there should be an Index for each Propylon around Vvardenfell. The only known location of an Index stone (besides my own) is in the possession of Mage Lord Diavyth Fyr, of Tel Fyr in the Azura’s coast region.

The places on Vvardenfell known to have these chambers are Falensarano, Marandus, Andasreth, Berandas, Falasmaryon, Indoranyon, Hlormaren, Rotheran,Telasero and Valenvaryon, and they seem to be arranged in a rough circle around the island. The tactical importance of these chambers is immeasurable; the Chimer would have been able to instantly reinforce any of their keeps across Vvardenfell within minutes, allowing for them to have a constant supply of troops should any of their strongholds fall under attack, turning the tide of the battle in the Chimer’s favour.

To examine the use of the chambers in the context of the time they were built in, when the Chimer were threatened by the Nordic presence, they would be able to use the fast travel offered by the Propylon chambers to make their numbers seem greater than they actually were; the psychological effect of this upon the tough, fearless Nords is unknown, but it would have succeeded in breaking a superior Nordic force into fragments that the Chimer could handle.

Although the secret behind the magicks employed to enable this unique mode of transportation are unknown, perhaps one day they will be unlocked and implemented across Vvardenfell, and maybe even the whole of Tamriel, providing a reliable way of moving vast amounts of troops or supplies quickly and easily.

A practical experiment
I myself stumbled across the Hlormaren Index stone, and with the protection of a couple of mercenaries I travelled to Andasreth, whose Chamber contains the Propylon that would take me to Hlormaren. We reached the ancient fort without any hindrances; the guards having not yet paid for themselves. Better safe than sorry, I suppose.

I entered the chamber, and stepped up to one of Platforms that contained the swirling magicka and tall Propylon, inscribed with runes. With the Hlormaren Index stone in one hand, I reached out and touched the tall Propylon with my other. My stomach lurched, and I felt like I was being pulled away…and then there I was, at Hlormaren. Unfortunately my bodyguards had remained outside the chamber back at Andasreth, so I had a reasonably nerve-wracking time making my way back to Balmora.

Unfortunately I was unable to glean any knowledge about the intricate workings of the Index stones and Propylons. I am curious though about the swirling purple magicka that surrounds each Propylon, but I have no idea as to what purpose it serves. I can only speculate, but my first guess would be that the presence of the purple magicka indicates that the Propylon is active, able to receive and transport, and that maybe the help of the Dwemer was enlisted to implement the magicks used.

I thought that maybe with a practical experiment I would be able to further explain the Index stones and Propylons, but the ancient runes and inscriptions on the Propylons, and the magicka surrounding them, remain a mystery to me. I subsequently sold my Index stone to a pawnshop in Caldera.

Edited, thanks Gez.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
presh
Developer

Post by presh »

I like it. One thing though, I don't think they were built by the dwemer. The fortresses they are in are old chimer forts, not dwemer ruins. But I could be mistaken, I'm not sure if the chimer built them.

If you are planning to lengthen the piece it would make a good book.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence."
-- M. Ghandi
ThorFluff

Post by ThorFluff »

in game they are referd to as old dunmer forts
Works in Progress:
i4-17-Red ; The Fine Clothiere
i4-16-Red ; The Bachelor Pad
Finnished:
Ironbane ; The disintegrate armor spellbook
Jacurutu
Developer Emeritus

Post by Jacurutu »

You should write "the places on Vvardenfell known to have these chambers are . . ." I'm not sure whether or not we have some on the mainland as well.

BTW, the Dwemer had their own transport systems (I think someone wrote a book about them too).
Only the prospect of death makes life worth living.
Earl
Developer Emeritus

Post by Earl »

If I recall correctly, the strongholds were built as proof against the Nords, although by Dunmer of Chimer I'm not entirely sure. I'm leaning toward Chimer, since the Chimer had to do a superhero team-up with the Dwemer to oust the Nords and the best time to build those strongholds would have been shortly thereafter.

It's also interesting to consider the styles of the two (three) races; Nords are straight ahead smash smash smash. The Dunmer (and Chimer) are more flexible and sneaky. The fast travel would allow Dunmer to make their troop numbers seem much greater than they actually were... and by striking in many different places, they could force a superior Nordic force to splinter into smaller units that the main Dunmeri army could handle. They could also afford to give up certain chunks of territory, knowing they could flank the enemy at will.

I sure as hell wouldn't have wanted to be put in charge of capturing Vvardenfell.
I have kleptomania, but when it gets really bad, I take something for it.
Anonymous

Chimer?

Post by Anonymous »

Moved to top
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Massalinie »

the dunmer used to be called chimer, until the tribunal stole their power using Lorkhan's heart and cursed the whole race.

Mass
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

A thing that should be remembered is that the Inner Sea was only created by the eruption of Red Mountain when the Tribunal made themselves golds and the Dwemer disappeared. So there quite possibly could have been a substaintially more extensive network of propylon chambers. Most of the ancient fortresses on the mainland though have been destroyed, or have gone into complete and utter decay.
Earl
Developer Emeritus

Post by Earl »

It's nice to picture some hapless adventurer:

"Hey, I found a pretty little Index! I wonder where it'll take me?"
*inspects Index*
"Hmm... Somethingsomethingyon... I don't remember that one. I bet it's one of the old mainland ones! I'll have to see if it works!"
*activates Index, teleports to a stronghold at the bottom of the Inner Sea*
"Glub glub. Those Dreugh look nice! Glub glub."
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

So if the Dwemer are the Chimer, should i explain that in the beginning then refer to them as Dwemer for the entirety of the piece?[/b]
Earl
Developer Emeritus

Post by Earl »

Chimer were the race that became the Dunmer. There are no more Chimer because every individual Chimer became a Dunmer.

Dwemer were just Dwemer (sometimes called Dwarves, but that still referrs to the same race), and are no more.

If that clears it up.
Massalinie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Massalinie »

no no, you have it all wrong here, mattht. the dunmer were chimer, not the dwemer
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Ok just to clear this up once and for all:
The Chimer are what are now known as Dunmer.
The forts with the Propylon Chambers were built by the Chimer.
The Dwemer had no part in the forts construction.

Therefore I should:
Remove the Dwemer from the text
Explain who the Chimer were at the start.
Refer to the Chimer throughout the text as the makers of the forts.

Is this right?
presh
Developer

Post by presh »

Yeah, thats pretty much it.

The citadel around Red Mountain was built by the dwemer, hence no propylon chamber. If you look at the different styles beteen dwemer ruins and the chimer fortresses, you can tell them apart fairly easily.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence."
-- M. Ghandi
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Moved to top
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

A little stylistic comment : I find it strange that the narrator found the index in the same place that the player do. I'd rather have him find it elsewhere, and then sell it to the pawnbroker at Caldera, rather than buying it there.

Such a book would be a good place to include book art showing the [url=http://www.uesp.net/morrow/hints/morhints.shtml#propyloncircle]propylon circle[/url] (though a map version would be better). Also, a notice about Kogoruhn would be nice, explaining why that stronghold, the old House Dagoth stronghold, was never linked to the Propylon network. I don't know if it's addressed in lore or not.
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

I had a thought on the propylon chambers when you said they circled Vvardenfell... they do now, but they didn't before. The Inner Sea didn't exist in those days, so instead the propylon chambers would have surrounded Red Mountain instead. Since Nerevar lured most of the Dwemer armies out of Red Mountain before assailing it, perhaps he used the propylon chambers to do so? Magnify the apparent size of his armies, and able to assault Red Mountain from 10 different directions at once. The Dwemer would have been nuts to not try and destroy at least one of these to break the link. Also, chances are that the propylon chambers were built by the old House Dagoth, who did have close and trusting relations with the Dwemer.

Anyway, it's all speculation. Bethesda has a habit of not including anything major or "kewl" if it doesn't have a purpose in the bigger picture.