PoHa!'s First 3D Creature

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Which habitat should this worm creature be found? (Don't judge by texture, which is subject to change)

Jungle - Swamp
44%
Cave - Inside
33%
Jungle - Ground
11%
Cave - Outside
11%
None of these/Other (State in post)
No votes

Total votes: 27

Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Netches looks more like jellyfish than like bugs. If there's a native word for bug, it's probably kwama...

I propose Balf'lah, dunmeri for stone-dweller.
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

cave? cave?!
this bug is freaking PERFECT for the argon jungle muck ponds. I imagine it'd be stationary, somewhat like the tentacles in half-life. just think, all that comes above the water are it's tiny feelers, and if you brush past one's burrow - BAM! you get bitten and paralyzed, and it starts gradually gnawing your legs off.
I suppose this could work in caves too, dropping down from the ceiling in pitch-darkness. hell, it could even have a sort of constant-effect chameleon, so you have to keep your eyes REALLY peeled for the bastards.
the paralysis thing isn't biologically infeasible, either; oman has a species of spider that does just this; but while people are asleep (so you wake up numb, then find a cumquat-sized chunk of yourself gone).
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
PoHa!
Developer Emeritus

Post by PoHa! »

Hmm... Haj, Gez, and Sload want it to be a cave creature (or at least a cave liker)... SirWoot seems to favor it being a muck creature... and I, well, actually, I didn't know, and I'm not too partial to any specific habitat either... decisions decisions...

@Haj: Yes, I would like to model some more, though this does take quite a bit of time away from the CS.
Wurgel gets your vote? Over the Dunmeri-related name suggestions that Sload gave, or not?

@Sload: Didn't know that the names actually had Dunmeri roots (though I should've). I'll have to keep that in mind.

@Gez: Balf'lah? Kinda odd... though the Stone Dweller portion is intrigueing (provided its decided that it will live in caves). I don't suppose there's another possible way to spell it? (If you'll forgive my lore ignorance)

@SirWoot:Ah, kinda like the scribs that I would always come across, pick a fight with, get paralyzed and nearly killed by, only to have the paralysis wear off in time to hit them with one blow and scatter their body segments...

But I do hope no one is basing their judgements off of the current texture. That is simply something thrown together so I didn't have to look at a white blob in the 3D preview window, and is subject to getting better, and even a change of color, if its decided habitat requires it.

In any case, I attempted to work on my claim, but found myself wanting to work on this more, so... off I go.
Last edited by PoHa! on Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
"When you find out someone's sleeping with your wife, you want to kill the f***er"
~Prof. Gardner

"You wiki'd my girlfriend?"
~Dexter
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Gez wrote:Netches looks more like jellyfish than like bugs. If there's a native word for bug, it's probably kwama...

I propose Balf'lah, dunmeri for stone-dweller.
Very true, kwa could easily be bug. Kwabal actually sounds kinda funny.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

PoHa! wrote:Hmm... Haj, Gez, and Sload want it to be a cave creature (or at least a cave liker)...
Nah, I was just going on with the consensus. A pond creature is fine with me. (There are already cave bugs, the kwama.)
PoHa! wrote:@Gez: Balf'lah? Kinda odd... though the Stone Dweller portion is intrigueing (provided its decided that it will live in caves). I don't suppose there's another possible way to spell it? (If you'll forgive my lore ignorance)
I suppose you could drop the apostrophe and use Balflah, but yes it's not perfect either. (F'lah means native.)

If it's a jungle critter, and we assume kwa means bug, then it could be a kwamora or a morakwa. I like morakwa...
The_Warder
Developer

Post by The_Warder »

this thing is awsome. using milkshape how much is it i would like to try it out.and i would suggest you keep on doing this your good from what i know.
PoHa!
Developer Emeritus

Post by PoHa! »

The_Warder? Never seen you around... thanks for the compliment, though. You can download the trial version of Milkshape from [url=http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/]this site.[/url] The full version costs a nifty little $25.

@Gez: Morakwa is definitely better than Kwamora, IMO, which sounds too much like Kwama.

I think we need to decide upon its habitat, first, though. As I've stated, I have no overbearing preference upon its choice of terrain, and I'm getting mixed opinions from everyone else... I might just open this up for a poll...

I've been tinkering with LithUnwrap, and was saddened to find that all my hard work actually made it look worse. Though I won't singe your eyeballs with the horrid outcome of that experiment, I will say it wasn't pretty. At all. So, I'll be attempting to make the UVMapping that I have been using to look better within Milkshape, after which I'll work a little more on the textures themselves, and then, try my hand at animation.

[Edit]Redid the texture, after giving Lithunwrap one more chance, and I think it worked okay. I almost want to start animations, though I'd really like to know the final decision on the habitat first, so I can choose between the three or so modes of transport that I've thought of. Ah, and here's the latest pics:

[img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/PoHaEiFor/3dModels/NewWorm2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/PoHaEiFor/3dModels/NewWorm.jpg[/img]
"When you find out someone's sleeping with your wife, you want to kill the f***er"
~Prof. Gardner

~Dexter
The_Warder
Developer

Post by The_Warder »

i have not been around for a while and my name used to be unseen_eye
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

Great progress PoHa :D

And welcome back Warder. :) Its been quite a while.
Mr. Sorry of Balmora

Post by Mr. Sorry of Balmora »

this ting would be a copyright infringement if you made it sand yellow you'll see what i mean
Quotidian Modding Hologram

Please state the nature of the Modding Emergency.

"Peace is a dream. Reality is a knife." ICE-T
PoHa!
Developer Emeritus

Post by PoHa! »

@Sorry: Sorry, but I have no clue what you're referring to... in any case, I made it for non-commercial use, and, uhm... non-sand yellow, so I don't fear any copy-write infringement :P . Please try to post more relavent or useful information in the future.

@Morden: Thank you.

@Warder: Uhm... still don't remember, but welcome back.

Ah, and one other thing. I did some more scaling (the last pic was before he was scaled down), and decided to try out the nif exporter. I got a CS shot of the little guy:

[img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/PoHaEiFor/3dModels/Kwama-k-bob.jpg[/img]

Aww... idn't he cute? He likes to play with the kwama...
~Prof. Gardner

~Dexter
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Sorry is refering to it's similarities to the kwama (very few). Don't mind it.

Those two look absolutely adorable together.
Vernon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vernon »

This is looking better each time you show it to us. :) I really think it should be used in caves. Then it could be used with glow maps. But hey, it could be retextured and used in both the jungle and caves.
welp
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

IMO it should be caves only. It is built to live in caves. Just look at it. Kwama orient using smell probably and this one doesn't ven have something resembling smell detectors. Only those tentacles.
[img]http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/3336/oblivionforum5tb.jpg[/img]

Your friendly slavedriver.
ookami

Post by ookami »

Vernon wrote:But hey, it could be retextured and used in both the jungle and caves.
Makes sense to me. In some cases, there are different types of the same basic creature (striders, for instance) suited to different environments. There could be more than one type of this creature, right? Bugs, in particular, seem to be diverse in that manner.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

A cave one would probably be blind and very pale

Heck we could even say that its the larval form
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

Jale wrote:A cave one would probably be blind and very pale
And this one can see ? Doubt it.
[img]http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/3336/oblivionforum5tb.jpg[/img]

Your friendly slavedriver.
viKING
Developer

Post by viKING »

Nice work, poha!

I think the creature would look great with 2-6 eyes on the head part.

I have a question about the creature: Will it only be a worm sticking up from the ground, or will it be a whole creature(so you can see the whole creature, not only the head and torso)...

sorry if that was a bit unclear...
-the real OC G
PoHa!
Developer Emeritus

Post by PoHa! »

Currently, I see that the choices are split, almost right down the middle. To close to call, IMO... perhaps there can be one for each of the two highest choices, as per Vernon's suggestion.

@Vernon: If this creature does eventually use glowmaps, I think someone else will have to do them, as transparencies alone were a pain in the butt in Milkshape... and I don't think Milkshape can do glowmaps...

@viKING: That's "PoHa!", actually (you remembered the "!" though :D)... about your question: That is something that I've been considering. Once the habitat has a more final decision (or I just decide to make 2 different types) then I can think more about how it moves (and hence, what part can be seen).

The ideas I've come up with for transport are:
-Jumping (Kwama Forager style)
-Digging under the ground
-Crawling atop the ground (snake-like, after stream-lining and extending the body a little more)
-Crawling atop the ground (centipede-like, with little legs which will have to be added)

Obviously, some of these won't work with certain habitats, and will affect the final outcome of the creature.

So, if the poll continues as is, it seems I'll be branching this into two creatures. If one suddenly pulls way ahead, I'll focus the worm into that setting.
~Prof. Gardner

~Dexter
Vernon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vernon »

I'd be happy to work on the glow maps, once you're done. You would probably have to bring some bounding box/collision trickery into play to get the thing to pop out from under the ground. Its idle settings would likely need to have the bounding box placed above the creature, then the attack setting as normal. Both above and below ground could be done, it would just be a matter of tweaking the bounding box/collision once animation is done.
welp
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

i say jungle. and for transport, diging under ground.
imagine:
*skreen geos all blury as you surcome to Lady N's hypnosis*

*half dead adventurer is running away from a bunch of high lvl argon enemies. just as he thinks he got away, he hears a burowing type noise. turning around, he sees the worm thing emerging from teh ground.*

"aw! its so cute!" *puts away sword adn tries to pet worm. just as he does this, the worm paralises him and starts slowly eating him. the enemies teh adventurer was runing from catch up, and stat eating him too*

lady N: *tries to snap fingers, fails miserable.*
*you snap out of the trance*

alright, that wasent the best imagining ever, but im highly out of ides. seriously though, theres nothng creepeir then enemies apearing where u thought there were none(i say so from experiance) . We should have giant poisoning spiders that climb down from the trees....

that made little sence...
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
PoHa!
Developer Emeritus

Post by PoHa! »

Must...resist...squirrel...mind tricks!

Ah, there we are.

That was crazy-fun, Lady N, though it didn't get rid of my chronic constipation... nice idea...

Vernon, I've not got a tree's leaf's clue's second cousin's of an idea of what you're talking about. Except for you doing the glowmaps, which sounds cool.

But...

It seems I can't do the animations, as the exporter for Milkshape can't/won't/doesn't save the animations of a model, which is disheartening to say the least (why didn't anyone tell me? [looks in Vernon's direction]). Almost to the point of not wanting to work on him any more (keyword: "Almost")...

[Edit]An idea struck me... what if the animations are done, and then saved as a .NIF by you, Vernon, in what I'm assuming to be 3D Studio Max, as you'll already be doing the glowmaps?[/Edit]
Last edited by PoHa! on Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Prof. Gardner

~Dexter
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

PoHa! wrote:Must...resist...hamster...mind tricks!
its a squirel for god's sake! theres a HUGE diferentce between a squirel and a hamster

[url=http://www.psychologie.uni-bonn.de/sozial/staff/musch/hamster/hamster.jpg]hamster[/url]

[url=http://www.york.ac.uk/org/ciec/CaringfortheEnvironment.29.4.03/Exxon/Food%20Chain%20images/ExxonPicsLarge/Grey%20squirrel.jpg]squirrel[/url]
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
PoHa!
Developer Emeritus

Post by PoHa! »

Lady Nerevar wrote: its a squirel for god's sake! theres a HUGE diferentce between a squirel and a hamster
My most esteemed apologies to the reincarnation of a historic hero of a fantasy world trapped within the body of a giant blue squirrel lady.
Its kinda hard to tell the difference when the picture has been Photoshopped... will edit it.

It seems the Jungle has started to pull ahead in the polls. If I can get a response from Vernon regarding the possibility of my doing the animation, giving it to him, and him doing the glowmapping and exporting, I would continue...
~Prof. Gardner

~Dexter
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

I really just think it's to small to be considered one of the evil creatures that'll eat you alive in the jungle. And even though in a perfect world all the creatures wouldn't be like that, with our limited rescource they're the only ones we should be making.
The_Warder
Developer

Post by The_Warder »

i think its still a little bright but you are still doing good.
Last edited by The_Warder on Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PoHa!
Developer Emeritus

Post by PoHa! »

Hmmm? And now Sload wants me to make it bigger? or... not make it at all? :cry:

I'm not certain what The_Warder just said, but it sounds complimentary... so, thanks, I think...

I suddenly feel so cold...
~Prof. Gardner

~Dexter
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

PoHa! wrote:Hmmm? And now Sload wants me to make it bigger? or... not make it at all? :cry:

I'm not certain what The_Warder just said, but it sounds complimentary... so, thanks, I think...

I suddenly feel so cold...
No, I'm arguing against it's use in the Argon Jungle. If it's in the Argon Jungle it should look like it's about to eat you alive. Now 5 of these together would have that effect, but they're polycount is to high to do that, especially in the Jungle.
The Old Ye Bard

Post by The Old Ye Bard »

could you give it a tail sorta like the kwana because it looks like that a giant body is buried in the ground also curving the tusks would help and giving it a top lip wouldn't hurt either but all in all it looks pretty good just give it a pale coloured texture and it could be eating you in a cave :o
Vernon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vernon »

Cheeeel Weeenston... The reason I didn't say anything is firstly because I didn't know you had actually started animating it and secondly because I am 99% sure it is possible to export animations to 3ds max. Usually it is best to test these things before pouring too many hours into it. Please PM me the ms3d file so I can see where we stand on this. And of course I would be happy to export all of that for you, and if the animations didn't import into 3ds max, then I'd re-make them and export them for you aswell.

[img]http://forums.pcpowerplay.com.au/images/smiles/icon_thumbs_up.gif[/img]

From Chumbalum Soft Forums:

http://collective.valve-erc.com/index.php?doc=1047496381-02062100&page=2

There is a link there (page down to the modeling section) for a HL SMD format importer for 3dsmax4.2 and above (I believe that to mean 4 or 5 as this is a MaxScript and there were some changes to MaxScript that make compatabililty with v6 or 7 a bit "if-fy". If you have max4 or 5 (you can try in v6 or 7 but there's no guarantee it'll work), you could export your MS3D models/animations as HL SMD and import into max with all intact.

This import script is supposed to support mesh, mapping, skeleton, & animations...but I've never used it, so I can't verify that it works, however, I HAVE used several of Cris Cookson's (the author) scripts for gmax and have found them in good working order.
welp
PoHa!
Developer Emeritus

Post by PoHa! »

@Sload: I keep wondering about that polycount... supposing I was making this for the jungle, (ground or swamp) what would be an acceptable polycount?

@The Old Ye Bard: As mentioned, I was kinda waiting upon which habitat was decided upon, so that I could choose upon the mode of transport, which will slightly change what's done and what's little to be finish of the remainder of the body.

@Warder: Thanks for clarifying your post. Yes, I agree, it does seem a little bright.

@Vernon: I seemed to have confused you somehow. I've not started animating it yet (though I did do a quick floating head animation on it to double-check the .NIF exporter, which didn't work). Good to know that exporting it a certain way can keep it all together.

Other thoughts:
Since the poll still shows only a small favor for jungle - swamp, I think I'll start working this worm into such a habitat, making him darker and more green, for instance, and probably adding eyes and centipede-like legs. However, after that, I'll take what I have now, and try to work it into a more cave-loving creature, that burrows under the ground, has paler skin, and glow-maps by Vernon.

[Edit]Started working on making him more centipede-like. I've got this so far, and he just looked so dang cute I had to post him. I guess Vernon was right after all...[/Edit]
[img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/PoHaEiFor/WormBug.jpg[/img]
~Prof. Gardner

~Dexter
The Old Ye Bard

looks much better like that
PoHa!
Developer Emeritus

Post by PoHa! »

The Old Ye Bard wrote:looks much better like that
And now?

[img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/PoHaEiFor/3dModels/JungleWorm.jpg[/img]

[Edit]Yes, the textures do seem to bleed into each other in that pic, though I don't know why. If I would've zoomed in more, they wouldn't look like that.

I've sent the model to Vernon in .smd format, and eagerly await his reply upon the simple animation that I gave it. It still needs to be cleaned up a little (or a lot), but the current polycount is 2314.[/Edit]
~Prof. Gardner

~Dexter
The Old Ye Bard

my jaw drops...........

can you make it stand up on its hind legs?
Rishanor

Post by Rishanor »

Try to add another 3 segments and possibly try curved jaws.

It looks great btw :D!
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

Now it's even MORE perfect for the argon jungle.
I disagree with sload entirely; I always felt the argon would be infested with ALOT of smaller, deadly creatures along with a few big, deadly creatures - you think the big guys live off of adventurers or something? :-P 'cause I dont.
Lady nerevar's little story thing summed it up pretty damn well - and just look at his colours, he'd camoflauge really well.
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
Mr. Sorry of Balmora

Post by Mr. Sorry of Balmora »

Sload wrote:Sorry is refering to it's similarities to the kwama (very few). Don't mind it.
no sload im talking the Pokey from Paper Mario ther is a poision green one too
Last edited by Mr. Sorry of Balmora on Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quotidian Modding Hologram

Please state the nature of the Modding Emergency.

"Peace is a dream. Reality is a knife." ICE-T
PoHa!
Developer Emeritus

Post by PoHa! »

@The Old Ye Bard: Yes, I believe I can, and plan to for his attack animation...

@Rishanor: I personally think that any more body segments wouldn't look right. As far as curving the mandible tusk-things (I think that's what you're referring to, not his Jaw), I might do that... we'll see.

@SirWoot: I think Sload is more concerned with the framerate, actually (Don't know about you, but I have to turn down the draw distance in the jungle if I don't want the game to slow down...).

Still waiting on Vernon... :P
~Prof. Gardner

~Dexter
Vernon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vernon »

Well I can import the skeleton and model, but not the animation.
welp
PoHa!
Developer Emeritus

Post by PoHa! »

Damn, so you didn't see him open and close his mouth somewhat slowly...

Alright then. I'll clean up the model some more, at some point, and work on it a little more, in general, then, perhaps you can be Vernon: Animator Extraordinair? Of course, right now, I'm trying to focus most of my time on Map 1 detailing...
~Prof. Gardner

~Dexter