Skyrim Beastiary

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Morgoth
Developer Emeritus
Location: That big place next to the smaller place with the tree.

Skyrim Beastiary

Post by Morgoth »

I don't know if many Skyrim-native creatures are mentioned anywhere in the lore, but seeing as most of the concepting is over with for Morrowind, and we'll either be doing Skyrim or Black Marsh next, I was wondering if anyone would bother with composing for me, (or for any of the other concepter's on here) a list of lore-friendly creatures from Skyrim so I can get to work. If you think an animal that you made up is worthy of the lore and of being concepted, please post the name of the creature and a short description of it in your mind. Remember, It must be lore friendly and conform to the landscape of Skyrim. (I.e. no fire demons in ice caves :D) Have fun!
Founder of the Realms of Renth. Please give us a visit!

[img]http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/4640/sigbannerap7.jpg[/img]

www.realmsofrenth.com
Morgoth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morgoth »

Keeping this alive til' tomorrow...

www.realmsofrenth.com
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

I have no idea about the creatures, but you should probably wait more than 3 minutes before bumping your own thread.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Orix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Orix »

I looked on The Imperial Library, so far all I've found is a werebear.
"In Skyrim, it is an old tradition to rub canis root on the trees surrounding your house as a ward against werebears. When I was young and stupid (as opposed, I guess, to being old and stupid as I am now), I always had hoped to meet a Werebear to see if they were as impressive as legend suggested. I would follow strange tracks in the woods until they disappeared, with no fear or even thought about what I would do after I had found my quarry. As I mentioned before, the Werebear is the most common lycanthrope in Skyrim, and is also found in the northern parts of High Rock, the Imperial Province, and Morrowind." On Lycanthropy
Apart from that I guess some, if not all of the creatures found in Bloodmoon would also be found in Skyrim, especially Spriggans and Draugrs.
Last edited by Orix on Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Morgoth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morgoth »

Sorry on that one, stupid me didn't realize that the other threads above were stickied and thought that this one had slipped down the list really quickly. (I know, i'm dumb :oops:)

www.realmsofrenth.com
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

easy mistake to make when you are new, I remember postiong on a year old thread that (because the forum was rarely posted in) looked new when I had just started.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
cwandell

Post by cwandell »

To me, Skyrim has always seemed a bit like ancient Europe, i Imagine they have many creatures like those found in the ice age? wholly rhinos, Mammoths, Bears, large cats, and the such. likely a wide variety of small birds and rodents as well.
Morgoth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morgoth »

cwandell wrote:To me, Skyrim has always seemed a bit like ancient Europe, i Imagine they have many creatures like those found in the ice age? wholly rhinos, Mammoths, Bears, large cats, and the such. likely a wide variety of small birds and rodents as well.
Ah, that is a good idea. Skyrim does bring to mind the Ice Age. I'll start on a couple of those now. Thanks.

www.realmsofrenth.com
Orix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Orix »

While not beasts, there are some rather powerfully voiced types of Nords...
The strongest of their warriors are called "Tongues." When the Nords attack a city, they take no siege engines or cavalry; the Tongues form in a wedge in front of the gatehouse, and draw in breath. When the leader lets it out in a kiai, the doors are blown in, and the axemen rush into the city.
We could reflect this in some rogue "Tongue" warriors or something.

Also, wind is a very important element in Skyrim, there could be creatures that either use wind as a weapon, or are made of wind itself.
Orix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Orix »

In Skyrim, the cold weather and isolated terrain allow a few Necromancers to operate freely. Alas, the availability of corpses is limited to Nords who die from exposure or in battle.
I suppose we could have a few roaming Necromancers too in this case, could be ultra tough spawns in and around Nord burial grounds.
Morgoth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morgoth »

Orix wrote:While not beasts, there are some rather powerfully voiced types of Nords...
The strongest of their warriors are called "Tongues." When the Nords attack a city, they take no siege engines or cavalry; the Tongues form in a wedge in front of the gatehouse, and draw in breath. When the leader lets it out in a kiai, the doors are blown in, and the axemen rush into the city.
We could reflect this in some rogue "Tongue" warriors or something.

Also, wind is a very important element in Skyrim, there could be creatures that either use wind as a weapon, or are made of wind itself.
Well, the tounges sound very interesting. I don't know how they would differ in appearance from the average nord, so there might not be much to concept for them. Maybe Tounge Armor? And Wind Atronachs might be great though. Thanks for the ideas, and i'd kindly welcome any more.

www.realmsofrenth.com
Morgoth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morgoth »

Orix wrote:
In Skyrim, the cold weather and isolated terrain allow a few Necromancers to operate freely. Alas, the availability of corpses is limited to Nords who die from exposure or in battle.
I suppose we could have a few roaming Necromancers too in this case, could be ultra tough spawns in and around Nord burial grounds.
Nice, keep em' coming.

www.realmsofrenth.com
Orix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Orix »

ON this site:
[url]http://til.gamingsource.net/goblades.shtml[/url]
Under Skyrim there are a few arena combatants mentioned:
Avengers
Annaihlators
Frost Demons (may not be the same as artonachs)
Furies
Dark Shadows
Devastators
Paladins

While these might have simply been teams of heros you supposedly fought in the first concept of Arena, they could have been named after typical Skyrim beasts?
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

You'd have trolls. In Morrowind there's a nordic trollbone helm, which seems to imply that there are nordic trollbones to make helms of, and nordic trollbones are presumably found on nordic trolls. :)
Lud
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lud »

The grahl are actually ice trolls. Stupid, i know but if you read the blurb on the back of the box, this will be apparent.
As regards creatures, i thought of the idea of some kind of "land whale" could be really interesting. (what if a whale evolved to suvive on land)
"It’s all been such a mistake. We were once little shrew-like animals. That would be so much better."
-Ophelia Benson
Orix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Orix »

That made me think actually Ludovic, since there were Frost Bears, Horkers (seal like creatures) in Bloodmooon, we could have other artic inspired creatures. So, for instance you could have a Tamriel twist on creatures like penguins, orkas (killer whales) and the like.
Arthmodeus
Developer

Post by Arthmodeus »

The Nordic Trollbone Helm has three eyes. TES trolls have three eyes. Grahls have two small eyes.

I have a theory that the Grahl are actually Akaviri Kamal. Tisn't proven, though.
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Well, Grahl are called "ice trolls" by the developers. Their ID is BM_ice_troll, after all.

Now, what does this mean? That dev wanted to make trolls, for some reason didn't (maybe they didn't succeed in making troll meshes they liked enough, those three eyes are tricky), and ended up renaming their trolls "Grahl" and using a two-eyed mesh. That's my hypothesis at least. :)
Orix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Orix »

The trolls seen in the oblivion trailer/screenies do have three eyes, and their heads are probably the same size/shape as the nordic troll bone helm. Perhaps we could have a version of that troll in Skyrim but adapted/evolved to suit cold climes (maybe a white fur version or something)?

What kind of creature was the Ukfradyte, wasn't that a troll? I'd certainly like to see more of them in Skyrim... without all the arrows sticking out of it, of course :)
cwandell

Post by cwandell »

Frost Demons may refer to Frost Daedra? they probably don't refer to Frost Artonachs in my oppinion, since an Artonach seems to be a type of golem rather then a true Daedra. This is discussed slightly in a thread i made thats down slightly from this one
Lud
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lud »

How about:
a wooly tortoise(!)
a giant sloth (real extinct creature)
eagles
vultures
"It’s all been such a mistake. We were once little shrew-like animals. That would be so much better."
-Ophelia Benson
The_Warder
Developer

Post by The_Warder »

I like the bird ideas. Im not sure but i dont think their are very many eagles in artic places i thought they lived in more foresty areas.i have sort of a headache right now so i might be wrong please correct me if im wrong.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

There are some but you are more likely to see stuff as in BM. Other things to be added could be foxes, snow foxes, badgers, ice golems...
ThorFluff

Post by ThorFluff »

The Ghrals are not icetrolls, they'r ghraals, excusive to Solsthiem! Every nord knows what a troll is, only a slect few have heard rumors of these mysterious and feroscious creatures
IceOgres ;P
Works in Progress:
i4-17-Red ; The Fine Clothiere
i4-16-Red ; The Bachelor Pad
Finnished:
Ironbane ; The disintegrate armor spellbook
The_Warder
Developer

Post by The_Warder »

well im learning to make faces and swords in blender right now maybe i could model some of them at some point. i would need a good picture for my background though.
one that shows the bone structure or something like that
to trace over.

also when i learn more feel free to ask me to model some things i haven't really done anything to helpso i had better start.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

What we would really need to do is look at the wildlife of northern europe and make some gnarlier versions of stuff there.

Like 5ft long weasels with massive teeth.
Morgoth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morgoth »

Ludovic wrote:The grahl are actually ice trolls. Stupid, i know but if you read the blurb on the back of the box, this will be apparent.
As regards creatures, i thought of the idea of some kind of "land whale" could be really interesting. (what if a whale evolved to suvive on land)
A big furry whale with legs!... And tusks! I'll do a concept right now.

www.realmsofrenth.com
Morgoth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morgoth »

Orix wrote:What kind of creature was the Ukfradyte, wasn't that a troll? I'd certainly like to see more of them in Skyrim... without all the arrows sticking out of it, of course :)
And the severed nord leg...:)

www.realmsofrenth.com
Morgoth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morgoth »

Ludovic wrote: vultures!
Nooo! They would be just like cliff racers!!

www.realmsofrenth.com
Morgoth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morgoth »

Jale wrote:What we would really need to do is look at the wildlife of northern europe and make some gnarlier versions of stuff there.

Like 5ft long weasels with massive teeth.
Right on! Alaskan creatures might work as well. Sorry for posting 4 times strait, just replying to everybody. I have enought to work with now, but keep on posting for other concepters.

www.realmsofrenth.com
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Not at all. Vultures are scavengers. If they were made right (which I'm not sure is feasible), they would just hover high up there, and land on carrion.

It would be cool to have a few vultures following the players and diving to feast on the corpses of defeated foes, but alas, I don't think the time and efforts in scripting such a behaviour would be worth it... If it's at all possible...
Assassinace
Developer

Post by Assassinace »

In skyrim
Bear ((D,B)Grizzly, Snow)
(B)Bristleback
(B) Reickling (sp?)
(D) Sabertooth Tiger
(DM) Spriggan
(B) Ice Troll
Wolf ((ADB)Normal, (B)White, (A)Snow)

May be in Skyrim
Golem (((D)Air, (D)Fire, (D)Flesh, (D)Ice, (D)Iron, (A)Stone, (D)Storm)
(M) Centurion (Sphere, Spider)
Drough ((DM)Normal, (L)Man-o-war)
(M) Dwarven Spectre
(D) Gargoyle
(D) Giant
(M) Ghost ((D)Wraith)
(A) Ghoul
(A) Hell Hound
(L) Herne
(A) Homonculous
(L) Imp
(ADO)Lich
(D) Mummy
Rat ((ADM)Normal, (L)rust)
(ADM) Skeleton (normal, champion, Warrior)
Slaughterfish ((M)fish [normal, small] (D)Eel)
(L) Sload
(AD) Spider
(M) Steam Centurion
(ADM) Vampire
(A,D) Zombie

And of course Deadra

Also possibly the giant Orsinium herd beasts and other Orsinium critters near that border and some morrowind generics on the morrowind border (More likely Orsinium then Morrowind creatures though since morrowinds requirements for life are the most difficult to replicate in Tamriel). Oh and don't forget any real life animal that can stand the very powerfull colds of Skyrim is fair game. I'm thinking penguins and maybe one or two others (polor bear and snow wolf already are basically in under the snow bear and wolf in the expansion)
Morgoth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morgoth »

Assassinace wrote:In skyrim
Bear ((D,B)Grizzly, Snow)
(B)Bristleback
(B) Reickling (sp?)
(D) Sabertooth Tiger
(DM) Spriggan
(B) Ice Troll
Wolf ((ADB)Normal, (B)White, (A)Snow)

May be in Skyrim
Golem (((D)Air, (D)Fire, (D)Flesh, (D)Ice, (D)Iron, (A)Stone, (D)Storm)
(M) Centurion (Sphere, Spider)
Drough ((DM)Normal, (L)Man-o-war)
(M) Dwarven Spectre
(D) Gargoyle
(D) Giant
(M) Ghost ((D)Wraith)
(A) Ghoul
(A) Hell Hound
(L) Herne
(A) Homonculous
(L) Imp
(ADO)Lich
(D) Mummy
Rat ((ADM)Normal, (L)rust)
(ADM) Skeleton (normal, champion, Warrior)
Slaughterfish ((M)fish [normal, small] (D)Eel)
(L) Sload
(AD) Spider
(M) Steam Centurion
(ADM) Vampire
(A,D) Zombie

And of course Deadra

Also possibly the giant Orsinium herd beasts and other Orsinium critters near that border and some morrowind generics on the morrowind border (More likely Orsinium then Morrowind creatures though since morrowinds requirements for life are the most difficult to replicate in Tamriel). Oh and don't forget any real life animal that can stand the very powerfull colds of Skyrim is fair game. I'm thinking penguins and maybe one or two others (polor bear and snow wolf already are basically in under the snow bear and wolf in the expansion)
Well, I won't waste my time on bears, wolves, or penguins because the meshers can just look at normal pictures of those. I like the furry whale idea though,(odd as that may be) and the wind, ice, and flood golems might be good. I did a Nordic Mammoth but my scanner is being stupid so I have to wait to scan it in. And then... well, the were boars and bears are already done... Different wraiths and skeletons, lots of undead... Hellhounds aren't suited to skyrim per-say, but I did one a whil ago that i'll scan in. The only thing I don't know about is a herne. Thanks again, good ideas.

www.realmsofrenth.com
Assassinace
Developer

Post by Assassinace »

Those are all the lore beasts or creatures that have shown up in previous games (herne should be in with deadra I believe so my mistake there). TR has already made many new monsters and things like the furry whale fit well into it but I only add those to my lists after they have been made.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

I think "my people" would find Skyrim to cold for their tastes.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Morgoth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morgoth »

Sload wrote:I think "my people" would find Skyrim to cold for their tastes.
Yes, I was thinking the same thing. :)

www.realmsofrenth.com
Assassinace
Developer

Post by Assassinace »

The "may be in Skyrim" refers to creatures that could be found anywhere in Tamriel. So while it would take very important matters for a sload to be in Skyrim if something were important enough I'm sure you could find one there.
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

I like most of the trends in creature ideas.

Aside from real creatures that live in cold climates, I think we should look to norse/celtic mythology for creature ideas as well.

Arth, interesting idea about the grahl, they really don't look like the TES trolls we've seen at all. Do you think Karstaag could be an akaviri creature as well?
"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact, it's all dark."
Morgoth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morgoth »

Kaarstag didn't really have much of a history at all, and even Hircine called him a giant. This could be interesting for a book. "The Ice giant of Akavir". I'll go write it.

www.realmsofrenth.com
Assassinace
Developer

Post by Assassinace »

Well I do believe that ghraal are ice trolls as the helms seem to come from normal trolls which have three eyes and the devs seem to have fairly well laid out thier intent to ghralls being ice trolls.
And it's hard to put a finger on the demons from akavir because there is absolutly no description on what they actually look like that I can find beyond that they "thaw out" and are snow-demons.
In my mind if they were ghraal they would be ice-demons rather then snow demons and I would peg Kamal as more kaarstag like.
But in the end pure speculation.

My thoughts on other creatures
Ufradyke: A unique creature in bloodmoon but there could be more. Maybe make more but have them all in one area with a quest around it.

Sea Giants: Large giants with tridents and beards come to mind maybe heavy set and seaweedy.

Frost giants: A less unique looking Karstaag.

Fire Giants: Smithy counterparts of fire giants in deep caves in rocky areas.

Giant wooly turtle: I liked that one and possibly give it a cold breath spell.

Giant sea serpents: The northern waters are probly the best place to put giant sea serpents.

Kraken: giant squid basically.
"In tales told by Norse sailors, the Kraken was a great monster that would attack ships. It had many arms, like the roots of an upturned tree, and would seize ships and drag them underneath the water. While originally believed to be an agent of Aegir - the god of the sea - it is believed that the Kraken described in folklore was in fact the giant squid, which would easily give the terrifying impression the stories lent to the Kraken's flailing arms."

Giant ice serpents/wyrms/I don't know if we'll add a dragon or not:

I would also like to see reikling archers.

In addition to all the lore creatures