Minerals of Morrowind [Awaiting Final Glance-Over]

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Anonymous

Minerals of Morrowind [Awaiting Final Glance-Over]

Post by Anonymous »

This was mainly Xui-al's work, though as mentioned in the other Minerals of Morrowind thread he discontinued it and left it open. I think everything here is correct

Writer: Igneous Dubilius
East Empire Company Prospector

Mineral Resource Potentials of Morrowind

The mineral resources that lie within the province of Morrowind are vast, and generally may be one of the richest deposits in all of Tamriel. There do not appear to be high concentrations of minerals in any certain areas; different minerals, all of impressive value, are spread around the Province. Some of the more valuable minerals contained within Morrowind are raw ebony, raw glass, adamantium and gold. Morrowind is not limited to these alone, as there are also modest amounts of precious and semi-precious gemstones such as emerald, rubies, diamonds, opals and amethyst. In the northern areas, namely the isle of Solstheim, it is rumoured that a precious stone known as 'Stalhrim' has been found and manufactured into weapons and armour by the local Nords. It is believed that it is also used as a method of embalming the Nordic dead.

Adamantium is one of the most precious and rarest minerals within the province. The primary use of adamantium is to forge weapons and armor, and has been known to be made into art for the extremely wealthy. Adamantium is very durable, but it is also very heavy. In the hands of all but the strongest, adamantium weapons and armour are unwieldy, encumbering the user so much that the advantage of its great strength is lost. The armour is very expensive, as are the weapons, and difficult to come by. The simple lack of adamantium, coupled with its weight and rarity do not usually make it a good investment for the fighting warrior. While adamantium can be found all around the province, it is not known to be found on Vvardenfell, probably in some way related to the proximity of the Red Mountain. Due to its scarcity, it is not economically advantageous to establish any adamantium mines in Morrowind. Adventurers have been known to brave the depths of Old Mournhold in search of adamantium deposits known to lie beneath the sacred city.

Ebony is valuable and useful, and relatively abundant. It is found all across Morrowind, and is primarily used for Weapons and armour. Again, ebony has the drawback of being heavy; in the right hands it serves as exceptionally protective armour and lethal weapons of high quality and durability. Plenty of ebony weapons are in existence, most notably in the service of Ordinators, but the armour is much rarer and harder to come by. Some fortunate (and rich) individuals own pieces of ebony armour, but there are rumoured to be only a few complete sets in existence. Raw Ebony itself is heavy, and even a small load will encumber the strongest, making transporting large amounts of it completely impractical. Currently, the ebony industry in Morrowind is modest, and should look to be expanded due its potential for profit. Although ebony is found throughout the province, it is often found in very deep places, and is difficult to get at. Currently, there are large operations to extract ebony, such as the mine near Caldera, several on the mainland, and several smaller ones within the Red Mountain region and the Ashlands. Currently, prospecting is in progress to attempt and expand the ebony trade in Morrowind; the most recent example of such is the large mine on the northern isle of Solstheim, provided ore tests produce sufficient yield.

Glass is one of the most unique materials in the province. It is light, and yet still quite durable, making exceptionally sturdy light armours and weapons. Glass is also rare, and quite expensive so very few complete suits of armour are in existence. A complete set is known to be in the hands of one of the Great Houses, and several others owned by the Armigers. Glass weapons on the other hand, have a razor edge and are very light, in turn making them brilliant weapons. The weakness of glass is probably its strength, being no where near as strong as adamantium, ebony, or a small host of less valuable materials, however it makes up for this in speed and weight. Another valuable property of glass is the enchanting potential it contains. Glass weapons are prized among enchanters; who can make excellent fire, frost and poison blades with them, to name but just a few. To add to the already costly price of glass, very few smiths are trained and skilled in the creation of glass items. House Telvanni has interests in the expansion of the glass industry, probably to add to their profits from enchanting and selling, along with glass's unique alchemical properties. Some estranged Telvanni alchemists use the negative alchemical effects of glass to their own advantage, by brewing potions with it that lower the intelligence of the drinker. In this way, the Telvanni can have a more effective influence on their subjects, with less resistance. At the moment, plans for expansion of the glass industry by the East Empire Company have not yet been discussed, and although House Telvanni is planning on taking it into their own hands, restrictions and pressure from the Empire may hamper their plans.

Alchemical properties of each raw material vary, and all have useful effects, but each is not without its drawbacks.

Glass: Drain Intelligence, Drain Strength, Drain Speed, Fire Shield
Ebony: Drain Agility, Cure Poison, Frost Shield, Restore Speed
Adamantium: Burden, Restore Magicka, Poison, Reflect
Diamond: Drain Agility, Invisibility, Reflect, Detect Key
Emerald: Fortify Magicka, Restore Health, Drain Agility, Drain Endurance
Ruby: Drain Health, Feather, Restore Intelligence, Drain Agility
Amethyst: Drain Luck, Resist Frost, Paralyze, Spell Absorbtion

Some of these effects are hard to achieve, and only the most skilled alchemists will be able to draw out the power of these rare minerals.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
Xui'al
Developer Emeritus

Post by Xui'al »

I am highly pleased with this, AWESOME work mattht! I am so glad to see this be made. Thank you so much for doing this, your is so much better then mine!

As far as I know, there is gold, as there are gold mine pieces in the OoT. I don't know if any mines have been built yet, so we should see if someone who does map mergeing or something knows. There are opals and amethyst deposits, just look in the Telvanni Vault, or in OoT. I believe there are also mine (container) pieces for those gems.

As for the author, I would suggest East Empire Company, a far as I know, they have an interest in Morrowind, and you could always add something about a large deposit, but in an area where the local Dunmer are less then friendly (Map 1 and 2 would work well, given the amount of Telvanni land), giving it some typical Imperial arrogance.

All in all, great work!!
'What if man is not really a scoundrel - man in general, I mean, the whole race of mankind - then all the rest is prejudice, simply artificial terrors and there are no barriers and it's all as it should be.'
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Imperial would make sense, probably from the Imperial Geographic Society who made the guide to... maps.
Xui'al
Developer Emeritus

Post by Xui'al »

Good point, so it will likely be one or the other. Earl will know what to do.
'What if man is not really a scoundrel - man in general, I mean, the whole race of mankind - then all the rest is prejudice, simply artificial terrors and there are no barriers and it's all as it should be.'
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Shouldn't the new ores and gems have alchemical properties, too? If so, they should be listed in the book, along with glass, adamantium, ebony and the others.

If not, they should, but that's off-topic.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

i thought about that, but have alchemical properties been created for gold, opal and ameythyst? post them here or pm me and i'll put them in. Thanks Gez
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I wouldnt list them like that. I would just say it more subtely perhaps in some potions they could be used in.
Xui'al
Developer Emeritus

Post by Xui'al »

Ok, here are a few of the properties of other TR stones:

Moonstone:
Drain Magicka
Resist Blight
Paralyze
Invisibility

Aquam:
Paralyze
Lightning Shield

Amber:
Burden
Resist Shock

Amethyst:
Drain Luck
Resist Frost
Paralyze
Spell Absorbtion

Jet:
Night Eye
Paralyze
Bound Helm
Blind

Jade:
Restore Health
Drain Strength
Weakness to Poison
Drain Light Armor

That isn't them all, and as far as I know, there has yet to be a raw gold model (not container) and properties set.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Thanks. Do any of these other minerals beside ameythyst lie within morrowind?
Xui'al
Developer Emeritus

Post by Xui'al »

I have no idea, but these can all be found in the Telvanni Vault in Port Telvannis, and tombs.
Haj

Post by Haj »

@Xui'al ... is Aquam supposed to be Aquam or Aquamarine?

Haj
Xui'al
Developer Emeritus

Post by Xui'al »

That is a really good question, I honestly don't know. In both the CS and the game it is just aquam. Who is in charge of that, so we can contact them and see what was intended?
Haj

Post by Haj »

Dude, if in the game it was "Aquam" then it's "Aquam", I just wanted to know if it was a typo. But since it aint, then it is, unnerstan? Yo.

Haj
Xui'al
Developer Emeritus

Post by Xui'al »

Huh? Did I offend? I didn't intend to sorry, and it turns out your point is more valid then before. There is an Aquamarine, as well as an Aquam, although they have different properties. The Aquam has the effect of paralyze and lightning shield, while the Aquamarine has the effects of Summon Scamp, and Drain Health. Sorry about that, I didn't mean to offend.
Haj

Post by Haj »

No you didn't offend, I was just watching Foamy Squirrel at the same time as I was replying to your previous post. That is one uptight little animal, sorry for the tonal spillover.

To see what I am talking about go [url=http://www.illwillpress.com/]HERE[/url] and waste several hours enjoying the hell out of Foamy Squirrel. Beware his squirrely wrath.

Haj.
Xui'al
Developer Emeritus

Post by Xui'al »

Its very... strange. Lets add it to the 'Links' section on the main page! Yes, Tamriel Rebuilt and Foamy Squirrel. Majra will roll over in his grave if he sees that on the 'Links Section.' Nonetheless, I am sure that there is quality (being a relative term) entertainment behind it!
Earl
Developer Emeritus

Post by Earl »

Writer: Igneous Dubilius
East Empire Company Prospector

Mineral Resource Potentials of Morrowind

The mineral resources that lie within the province of Morrowind are vast, likely due to the geologic activity lent to the area by the volcanic Red Mountain. Indeed, the lands of the Dark Elves can be counted among the most productive in all the Empire in terms of mineral depostis. There do not appear to be especially dense concentrations of particular minerals in any given locale; rather, different minerals, all of impressive value, are spread around the Province. Some of the more rare and valuable minerals contained within Morrowind are raw ebony, raw glass, adamantium and gold. Morrowind is not limited to these alone, as there are also modest amounts of precious and semi-precious gemstones such as emerald, rubies, diamonds, opals and amethyst. Recent assessment parties assigned to the frozen island of Solstheim have also indicated that further opportunities may exist there.

Adamantium is one of the most precious and rarest minerals within the Province. The primary use of adamantium is in the production of weapons and armor, although it can also be wrought into fine art for the extremely wealthy. The metal is very durable, but it is also quite weighty. In the hands of all but the strongest soldiers adamantium weapons can become unwieldy, and the exhaustion that comes of swinging such weapons or wearing such armor makes it impractical for prolonged use. The price of the raw material also prevents its use in a scale that would be needed for war. The simple lack of adamantium, coupled with its weight and rarity do not usually make it a good investment for the fighting warrior. While adamantium can be found all around the province in small quantities, it is not known to be found on Vvardenfell. Due to its scarcity, it is not economically advantageous to establish any adamantium mines in Morrowind. Adventurers have been known to brave the depths of Old Mournhold in search of adamantium deposits known to lie beneath the sacred city.

Ebony is valuable and useful, and relatively abundant in the Province. As with admantium, ebony has the drawback of being ridiculously heavy, although in the right hands it serves exceptionally well in protective armour and lethal weapons of high quality and durability. Many ebony weapons are in existence, most notably in the service of Ordinators, but the armour is a good deal rarer and harder to come by. Some fortunate (and rich) nobles or adventurers own pieces of ebony armour, but the person with a full suit is a rare individual. Raw Ebony itself is heavy, and even a small load will encumber the mightiest, making transportation of large amounts of the mineral completely impractical except by ship. Currently, the ebony industry in Morrowind is modest, and we should look to expand it due the obvious potential for profit. Although ebony is known to exist throughout the province, it is often found very deep underground, making the initial stages of mining uncommonly expensive. Currently, there are a few large operations extracting ebony, such as the mine near Caldera, several on the mainland, and a number of smaller mines within the Red Mountain region and the Ashlands. Currently, a good deal of prospecting is in progress in an attempt and expand the ebony trade in Morrowind. The most recent example of our efforts being the proposed mine on the isle of Solstheim, provided ore tests produce sufficient yield, and the frozen grounds do not impede progress drasticly.

Glass is one of the most unique materials in the Province. It is light, and yet still reasonably durable, making remarkably sturdy light armours and weapons. Glass is also relatively rare and quite costly, so few complete suits of armour are known of. Popular among the Armigers, one could also expect that several of the Great Houses might possess numerous pieces. Glass weapons are also of high quality, with razor edges and slight heft. Another valuable property of glass is the enchanting potential it contains. Glass weapons are prized among enchanters, who can make excellent fire, frost and poison blades with them, to name but just a few. The weakness of glass weapons lie in their durability, being nowhere near as reliable as adamantium, ebony, or a small host of lesser materials. To add to the already costly price of glass, very few smiths are trained and skilled in the creation of glass items. House Telvanni has interests in the expansion of glass mining, probably to add to their profits from enchanting and selling, along with raw glass's unique alchemical properties. At the moment, plans for expansion of the glass industry by the East Empire Company have not yet been discussed, and although House Telvanni is planning on taking the matter into their own hands, restrictions and pressure from the Empire are expected.

Er... with an EEC bent, this should be made more biased. Alchemical lists of the type in the first post are a definite no-no. Who has full suits of armor doesn't seem like it'd be that much of a concern. For EEC concerns, a concise "what is it, what is it good for, and what are we doing to get out hands in it?" would suffice. The three weapon-armor minerals here should probably be in one paragraph (at least in the discussion of them as weapon-armor), as there is quite a bit of overlap in properties.

Aquam and Aquamarine sounds like someone fucked up, or someone along the line added a big alchemical package to OoT without giving it a close enough look, or... something.
I have kleptomania, but when it gets really bad, I take something for it.
Xui'al
Developer Emeritus

Post by Xui'al »

Ok, since I don't think mattht is coming back, mind if I finish this by adding an EEC bias? I say lets just screw the aquam/aquamarine thing until someone fixes it, which will hopefully be long after this book is done...

EDIT: I don't know who came up with "Igneous" for the name of the prospector, but they should be shot. (Unless it is Earl, in which case I am sure there is a good reason.) We don't need any more name parodies, and since igneous is a type of rock, I think it should go. It will only take about 10 seconds on the random name generator.
Morgoth
Developer Emeritus
Location: That big place next to the smaller place with the tree.

Re: Minerals of Morrowind - Finished

Post by Morgoth »

The mineral resources that lie within the province of Morrowind are vast, and generally may be one of the richest deposits in all of Tamriel. There do not appear to be high concentrations of minerals in any certain areas; different minerals, all of impressive value, are spread around the Province. Some of the more valuable minerals contained within Morrowind are raw ebony, raw glass, adamantium and gold. Morrowind is not limited to these alone, as there are also modest amounts of precious and semi-precious gemstones such as emerald, rubies, diamonds, opals and amethyst. In the northern areas, namely the isle of Solstheim, it is rumoured that a precious stone known as 'Stalhrim' has been found and manufactured into weapons and armour by the local Nords. It is believed that it is also used as a method of embalming the Nordic dead.

Are aquam or gold armor/weapons sets going to be made? Arx fatalis had this dark blueish weapon that I loved the look of, and that could definatly be what aquam looks like. I'll post a screen of it in a minute. I think there is enough time to add both armor sets, as long as it flows with the lore, can I do some concepts? Also Matth, you didn't mention the gold at all, even though you listed it as one of the four most valuable in Morrowind. Nice work, it sheds alot of light on possibilities for the EEC.
Founder of the Realms of Renth. Please give us a visit!

[img]http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/4640/sigbannerap7.jpg[/img]

www.realmsofrenth.com
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Stahlrim is enchanted ice made for burial purposes.

Precious stones are generally unsuitable for being made into weapons.
Morgoth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morgoth »

Jale wrote:Stahlrim is enchanted ice made for burial purposes.

Precious stones are generally unsuitable for being made into weapons.
Well, raw ebony peices are quite small, and they make both weapons and armor out of those. I beleive that if you melted down a ton of any type of stone in morrowind, you can turn it all into armor. Anyway, this was my idea of an ideal aquam weapons or armor color. It comes from similar game called Arx Fatalis, which no doubt everyone here has heard of. I love the look of this so much.

[img]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b398/jl11438/aquamweaponarx.jpg[/img]

www.realmsofrenth.com
Rishanor

Post by Rishanor »

Aquam sounds like something liquid.... Mercury perhaps? Since this also appears in Daggerfall...
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Aquam is probably based on aquamarine. No we cannot make this into any sort of blade. It can be used to decorate a weapon but is too brittle for much else.
Xui'al
Developer Emeritus

Post by Xui'al »

Due to the fact that I think Mattht is gone, at least for now, lets just finish this book as a community to get it out the door and into BoT.

As for Aquam/Aquamarine, I would suggest that we just scrap it at least until someone can tell us what is going on.
Morgoth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morgoth »

Okay, I just love blue weapons, and there were almost none in Morrowind... :( I figured aquam was similar to aquamarine, which is blueish. Anyway, we need to write a section on gold in morrowind. I'm okay at writing, but I don't know anything about gold so, somebody else can give it a try.

www.realmsofrenth.com
Xui'al
Developer Emeritus

Post by Xui'al »

No one seems to know anything about gold, so to get this book off my shoulders, lets just scrap it. Ok, here is my go at something on gold. I am starting this in a new thread, (the thrid one for this book) because of the completion thingy in the first post that Zephyr wants done. (Because mattht is gone and there is no one to update his post)

EDIT: Requesting a lock, or a thread deletion, so we don't get these threads mixed up.