new creature?

Place where art is developed for our game.

Moderator: Lead Developers

ismugglecows

new creature?

Post by ismugglecows »

Here is a creature i just drew last night when it popped into my head i was kinda sleepy so you can see where i was falling asleep when i was drawing it. it is just a quick sketch so tell me what you think!
Attachments
griffon thingy.jpg
(1.24 MiB) Downloaded 143 times
"If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space."
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

It's a nice sketch, but I don't think griffons are mentioned in ES lore.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

You REALLY don't want me to come back.
ismugglecows

Post by ismugglecows »

i didn't mean for it to be a griffon, don't griffons have a lions head?
Dr.Evil

Post by Dr.Evil »

i really like this one. would be great as an oversized bossmonster.....
Arthmodeus
Developer

Post by Arthmodeus »

It's a nice sketch, but I don't think griffons are mentioned in ES lore.
Um, yes they are. In fact, Spider did a concept of it a while ago. I believe that they are in the concept section of the Main Site.
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

Oh yeah, he did do a concept, didn't he. I don't think the sketch is in the concept art section, but I remember the drawing. I'll go browse through the old concept art threads to see if I can find it.
Edit: Found it
[url]http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/download.php?id=2319[/url]
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

You REALLY don't want me to come back.
Arthmodeus
Developer

Post by Arthmodeus »

Griffins/Gryphons inhabit High Rock and parts of Hammerfell; usually living in cliffs and such. They could be similar to Harpies locationwise.

@ismugglecows: Good concept! It looks like you've spent a while on the feathers.
ismugglecows

Post by ismugglecows »

the feathers were the first part i did so i wasnt really that tired but when i did the back is when i was falling asleep
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Dexter wrote:It's a nice sketch, but I don't think griffons are mentioned in ES lore.
Well, they nearly were, since harpies in Daggerfall were probably intended to be griffons first (they all carried griffon feathers...).
Silverwood
Developer

good

Post by Silverwood »

The picture was great and very detailed, but I don't think Gryphons would be very good in morrowind. I can see the lore mentioning it because it is such a fascinating creature, but I think if we're going to start putting creatures like Gryphons, the games mind set will change alot. It will seem more like a game based on an old time fable, so i think we should stick to Dragons And Cliffracers. But the gryphon would make a good one time creature, maybe the last of the Gryphon race.

Still gotta love the drawing, tho!
Arthmodeus
Developer

Post by Arthmodeus »

The picture was great and very detailed, but I don't think Gryphons would be very good in morrowind. I can see the lore mentioning it because it is such a fascinating creature, but I think if we're going to start putting creatures like Gryphons, the games mind set will change alot. It will seem more like a game based on an old time fable, so i think we should stick to Dragons And Cliffracers. But the gryphon would make a good one time creature, maybe the last of the Gryphon race.

Still gotta love the drawing, tho!
Gryphons are in lore, though. They just don't inhabit Morrowind. Heck, they might even be in TES:IV.
der gottlose

Post by der gottlose »

Arth: Don't you just love it when people don't read?

Oh and this is priceless:
i think we should stick to Dragons And Cliffracers
Heh. Just my annoying pessimism, etc.
Ich liebe garfield! Wir lieben Garfield!

http://s13.invisionfree.com/TiMorrowind
That's my morrowind forum. Go there now.
The_Warder
Developer

Post by The_Warder »

where are we on this it would be perfect for a caveor something.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Not in morrowind. And it is definitely not a cave creature.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Griffons would be a mountain/cliff-dwelling creature. In classical mythology they live in eyries, like eagles do (big flat nests in the craggy bits of mountains).

I know what you mean about it changing the mindset of the game, Silverwood; if TR includes a lot of stock mythological beasts it won't seem like another world anymore, just a generic fantasy yarn, but you've got to bear in mind that there's an entire continent to populate.
TES does have a lot of tried-and-tested fantasy creatures in its bestiary (minotaurs and trolls etc, that we'll be seeing in Oblivion), but Morrowind is perhaps the most alien habitat there is in Tamriel, so we saw little that wasn't weird and wonderful new stuff.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

hmm...Maybe it shouldn't be a LIVE griffon. Are there any mentionings disproving the existence of Giffhon Centurions? :P
It would make since they make atleast one machine to ride / fly if it can...right?