a thought

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

cwandell

a thought

Post by cwandell »

I was up last night thinking and strangely enough, Tamriel came to mind, we know their are frost Daedra and Fire Daedra, but are their others like them? I mean frost and fire are considered elements, so are their elemental Daedra that we justh avn't encountered?
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

Well, there are shock atronaches too :D

Golems are similar to atronaches, only they are man-made so to speak. They come in a variety of kinds: fire, frost, shock and flesh are those I know of for sure.
<insert witty signature here. i might spend time trying to come up with something, but its not like anybody reads these anyway>
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Sources are unclear about the difference between a golem (ice, iron, and stone were seen in Arena), an Atronach (ice, iron, fire and flesh were seen in Daggerfall) and Daedra.

Why ? Because in Daggerfall, atronach are clearly golems, while in Morrowind, they are described as being "neutral daedra from the elemental planes".

My opinion is that actually, both are right, in a way. Created atronachs (like those seen in Daggerfall) are powered with the captured souls of elemental-spirit atronachs (like those seen in Morrowind).

The difference between construct-atronachs and golems is thus a question of how it is made -- we can speculate that golems are powered by raw magic, without bound souls, and are thus much harder to create.

Finally, a third category of construct exists, it is the centurions, who are made according to special mechanical techniques made by the dwemer (and maybe infused with some divine elements, as it seems centurions in Morrowind depend on the proximity of Lorkhan's heart to work).
Assassinace
Developer

Post by Assassinace »

Actually Gez you are a bit off. There are three types
Elemental Deadra, Elemental Atranoc's, and elemental golems
(arena, daggerfall, battlespire, and Morrowind as sources.)
However like you said Bethesda has been anything but clear on the differences/similarities between them.
To me the difference is fire deadra are proper deadra, atronachs are lesser deadra that are more nuetral kinda like scamps, and golems are man/monster made creatures likely using the souls of atronachs (ala soul stones in daggerfall and morrowind and deadric item creation).
cwandell

Post by cwandell »

assisstance is closer to my question then you two, but didn't answer it? are their for example a lightning Deadra or something along those lines?
Assassinace
Developer

Post by Assassinace »

The closest in a real game is probly a storm atronach (they shoot lighting). Doesn't mean there isn't one but that looks closest that we know about.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

In daggerfall there were both Fire Daedra and Fire Antronachs, Water Daedra, water antronachs etc etc. The word antronach seemed to mean golem.
EdAptra
Developer

Post by EdAptra »

correct me if im wrong, but i suppose a daedra lord or daedra count would be a mixture of all the different types of dadera capable of doing many storm, shock, fire spells etc?
the greatest drum solo ever - sing, sing, sing
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

No, the Daedra Lords and Counts are separate kinds of Daedra. Kind of like how scamps, daedroths and atronaches are entirely different creatures.
<insert witty signature here. i might spend time trying to come up with something, but its not like anybody reads these anyway>