!!Chopping down trees, and Carpentry!!

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Pyroid

!!Chopping down trees, and Carpentry!!

Post by Pyroid »

I am currenlty working on a carpentry mod in which you can cut down trees using a woodcutter's axe and use the lumber gained, and a carving knife, to make furniture and the like, which you can then in turn position around your house as you like, or sell to merchants. I have encountered no difficulties thus far with furniture, but as soon as I go into woodcutting I run into a MAJOR problem...

The script that I have devised is 'stuck' onto each tree in the game. Since every tree does not have its own unique ID, this was quite simple. But here comes the hard part. Once the tree carries out its script and is cut down, ALL of the trees with its ID are going to be cut down as well, and the player is going to be burdened with LOTS of wood! Can anyone solve the answer to my dilemma?

Original script:
if (Player->GetItemCount "Woodcutter_Ax" >= 1)
if (OnActivate)
Disable
PlaceAt 0,0,0 "Stump"
endif
endif

Will this work? And if it will perform the problem above, how do I fix it?
prometheus
Developer Emeritus

Post by prometheus »

try to put a conditional question about the distance the tree is...
Totalwar site:
http://www.crimsonlegion.totalclan.com/

TR download website
http://prometheanlands.tamriel-rebuilt.org/
Rodan
Developer Emeritus

Post by Rodan »

I already have a mod that does it. It was done some time ago and basically goes by the name of Eldar's plugin. If you want I'll send it to you.
"Never take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive!"
- Bugs Bunny

Yes, that is a Dusty (my cat)

Projects done:
Black Light (5-1)
Released - v.1 (done)
Claim 2-34
Lots of interiors for Black Light

Current Projects:
None
Veet
Developer Emeritus

Post by Veet »

I would rephrase the script to look more like this

Begin Tree_01

Short Cut

if (Cut < 0)
Disable
PlaceAt 0,0,0 "Stump"
endif

if (Player->GetItemCount "Woodcutter_Ax" >= 1)
if (OnActivate)
SetCut to 1
endif
endif

End Tree_01

Not sure if I got all the gramar corect there as I am just writing this off the top of my head and have nothing to look that up with at the moment.

The Short variable willl alow the script to be run on a case by case basis since it is not a global then each tree will have its very own variable.
"Everyone is in favor of free speech. Hardly a day passes without its being extolled, but some people's idea of it is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone else says anything back, that is an outrage."
-- Winston Churchill
Pyroid

Post by Pyroid »

Rodan: I think I already have the Eldar plugin. Sometimes I go on a downloading rampage and just download every mod in sight on Euro Morrowind or on Morrowind Summit, and I have at least 500 of them in the place I like to call my "Archives". I am positve I have heard that name before, because it was kind of catchy for some reason... Thank you, I'll be sure to look at it.
Seran
Developer Emeritus

Post by Seran »

Actually.. this whould make a good base for a shipwright quest.
If you don't bother with your past history. How do you know where your currently at? It's past what makes us who we are. And who we will be. Ignoring that, is ignoring who we are and where we're going.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hello,

Just like to say, your doing a good job Pyroid....

In the example Veet put I would like to see scripters put quotation marks around object ids, I've found that in some cases the game engine can get confused and not find the object, even if it's the player. So do this "Player"-> and not Player-> .

I know i'm a plain, but this may save wasted time later... ;).

Anyhow, i'll try and work on theat script for you Pyriod at some quite point....

c-ya
unifiedsleepers
Lord_Gallant
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lord_Gallant »

Couple of suggestions to that script, Veet:

if (Cut < 0)
Playsound "Woodcutting" :uhhuh:
PlaceAt 0,0,0 "Stump"
Set Cut to 0 ;Allows the script to be used again on another tree.
Disable
endif

Play a cool lumberjackin' sound and set Cut to 0.
Last edited by Lord_Gallant on Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trudging through the relentless Skyrim snowstorms, the lone Paladin looks on in sorrow as the land of Tamriel evolves without him; his mind occupied with other matters.
Pyroid

Post by Pyroid »

I just remembered something I wanted to ask everyone...

what is the difference between a short variable, and a long variable, or a float? I have always used short.
SquallTM

Post by SquallTM »

I don't know if you should be cutting down trees in Tamriel, Morrowind, because it is not an online game and there is not much use of crafting skills in single player games (except Weapon Smithing). You should make the trees regrow then and that would take too much time. That is only my opinion.
Dakkan

Post by Dakkan »

You kidding? crafting skilsl woudl be awsoem for TR, I would love to be able to buidl my own house, or at least furniture for my current abode.
(Day-kin)
Kevaar

Post by Kevaar »

And have better quality armor and weapons than what the stores sell! Would that mean better enchantment costs? (the cost of how good an enchantment you can put on something)
SquallTM

Post by SquallTM »

Weapons yes, Carpentry, Cooking, Clothing - I don't know. It's a single player game and it is based on the main quest more or less, and to beat it you have to have tough and strong characters unlike in mmorpg's where you can be a crafter or merchant who's main interests are trading and who doesn't even think about beating dragons or something (like in Ultima Online). But if you can create a very good crafting mod then I support you.
Kevaar

Post by Kevaar »

Hmm, maybe there would be some way to give the Carpenters, etc. a way of doing their :kill quests" without using a weapon. Drop a piano on them or something ;P
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Sorry about reviving the old thread, but I have to say -- things that change the way the game works should stay out of Tamriel Rebuilt, unless they're constrained to a very limited area.

For example, adding guars that you can catch and sell to the mainland of Morrowind? Hell no. Adding a guar pen minigame in one area where you have to catch all of the guars as quickly as possible? Hell yes.

...Man, that's actually not such a bad idea. [edit] I'll make a thread for this.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I don't think there is anything wrong with adding more immersion. It's not like all that furniture is getting created out of thin air. The main thing I love about this game, is that you aren't STUCK with having to do something. I don't think it's a true RPG if you are forced down a linear path.

The beauty of this game is that even if you do "beat" it so to speak, it isn't over. You can spend your time walking around, or just snap and go on a killing rampage and purify the entire island. The point is that YOU decide for your character not a game dev. You could very easily (after all you were a prisoner) thumb your nose at everything, and walk out a free man and never look back.

One mod I enjoy using is the "hunting" mod. It adds hunger/thirst, the skills find water/fishing/skinning/butchering and mining. You can also get contracts for particular things, and make a little money off of that. This does not detract from my game experience, it adds a whole lot more to it.

The main problem with "linear" type RPG's is that although there are some good ones out there. Once you beat them, that's it! The End. Even if you try with a different character type, there are still no surprises left, and eventually even that gets boring.

If something like this will be made for TR (which it will eventually, trust me). It really does need to be placed on the back burner for the time being and wait for the full release. Mainly so that there are no conflict's.
Kothloth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Kothloth »

What should be pointed out here, is that, as Spuzzum said, no major new element to the gaming should be added since our mod will be an expansion of the current world, not a modification.

However, if one wants to make a mod that does change this anyways, one could always make a mod that's just dependent on our work. That is, it doesn't have to be a part of the finished masterfile, it could just be downloaded as an addition. This is important to know, since then all idéas that wont fit in the masterfile can be made anyway if you wish to. But we should *concentrate* on finishing the masterfile first, since without that one there wont be a need for mods that add things on it ;)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

True, gotta build the foundation before you can build the house..

I have found that what kills most mods of this magnitude, is that people lose focus on just making that foundation and holding off on the "extra's". Plus the creative drive of different personalities butting heads.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Good luck on your mod!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Making crafting ... would be sorta pointless seing as how you can just go to TES and make your own house.... and prolly much better one that you can ever script.
wererat
Developer

Post by wererat »

what about using 'Complete Morrowind Part 4'? you can 'cut' down trees and you get logs. with the logs you can make over 60 different objects (some you need a knife). inlcuded is also 'straw' which can be used to make baskets and set up a camp fire. the other 'Complete Morrowind's allow you to make clothing, pillows, etc.; cook new foods and ingredients; and make pottery
'To be thanked for having done one's duty is humiliating' - The Vicomte de Bragelonne
Jacurutu
Developer Emeritus

Post by Jacurutu »

Yes, I was going to say that. Max has done a lot of work on that and it would be good to put it to use instead of simply redoing it. If you ask him, I'm sure he'll be happy to donate it.
Only the prospect of death makes life worth living.