Approved guilds

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Theo
Developer Emeritus

Approved guilds

Post by Theo »

Please read before posting new guild idea !!!

TES III included guilds:

joinable:
Blades (special)
Fighters Guild
Mages Guild
Thieves Guild
Imperial Legion
Imperial Cult
Eastern Empire Company

Vampire clans (special)

Ashlanders
House Telvanni
House Hlaalu
House Redoran
Tribubal Temple
Morag Tong

unjoinable (unjoinable in TR as well):
Camona Tong
Sixth House
Dark Brotherhood

unjoinable (possible to join in TR):
Ordinators
Census and Excise
Twin Lamps

TR approved guilds for Morrowind:

Imperial Archeological Society
Imperial Knights

House Telvanni - mainland
House Hlaalu - mainland
House Redoran - mainland
House Indoril - mainland
House Dres - mainland

Sisterhood of the spider
Azura Worshippers
Boethiah Worshippers
Molag Bal worshippers
Sheogorath Worshippers
Malacath Worshippers
Mehrunes Dagon Worshippers

In other provinces:

Hounds of Hircine
(and other Daedra worshippers in general)
Bard guild
Traders guild
Actor groups (perhaps included in Bards guild)

Disapproved guilds:

Archers guild, summoners guild, healer's guild and in general all guilds based on one or two PC skills.

Smuggler guild, Bandit guild, Werewolves guild, necromancer guild and in general guilds or organizations consisting of unorganizable groups or individuals.

Also disapproved: Imperial Special forces, Morrowind liberation front etc. aka Blades, Camona Tong and others under new names...

Not good idea as well: Writers guild, clothiers guild and other guilds based on area of life distant from real gameplay and promising only boredom...

Did I omit something?
Last edited by Theo on Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Vrenir

Post by Vrenir »

What happened to the Ordinators being listed under TR mainland?
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

They are listed under Morrowind unjoinable. I do not remember TR having Ordinators joinable. Correct me if I am wrong...
THEO
Garriath
Developer Emeritus

Post by Garriath »

It was originally under the plan, and quite a bit of work was done on it, but Turelio then resigned and I gave up. It was never officially dropped, though, as far as I know.
fanfas
Developer

Post by fanfas »

Well, i was about to purpose a guild/faction something like that about Hunters and then i searched the forum and found a reference in various post about a Guild of Hunters, But then i saw this treath and it is not mentioned here, so my question is, are these the only guilds/faction that are allowed? Because the idea i have about the hunters (i thought this guild because hunters are a class in Morrowind and doesn't seem to be any real identity to control them)is some kind of guild that focus on hunting contests, lets say... there would be 2-3 guilds in citys near wilderness, then each city would have contests about hunting a number of one or more spicies and the advancement would be done by wining this contests, if you think this could work i'm willing to do an outline of this guild with ranks skills locations and some quests.

Please say your thoughts (and sorry abou my english).
MAP 3 -> Interiors
Map 3 -> Interior Fixing
fanfas
Developer

Post by fanfas »

So should i make a draft of this guild or not?

This is suposed to be a animal hunter guild only, no vampires or werewolves envolved.
MAP 3 -> Interiors
Map 3 -> Interior Fixing
sxotty
Developer

Re: Approved guilds

Post by sxotty »

Theo wrote: Disapproved guilds:
Smuggler guild, Bandit guild, Werewolves guild, necromancer guild and in general guilds or organizations consisting of unorganizable groups or individuals.
I have a problem with this decision. Smugglers are not inherently unorganizeable. In fact they are highly organizeable as should be shown by numerous instances of the mafia, drug cartels and so forth. It is extremely niave to suggest that groups that smuggle are disorganized, let alone suggest it would be difficult to organize said group. Throughout prohibition smugglers were highly organized in the US, and most other countries have significant organized smugglers guilds.

It is actually more likely that smugglers would be organized than theives, and the theif guild shoots down the notion that such a guild would not exist.

The others I agree with more or less though, the less part is necromancers simply b/c there is no way I can base an asertion on the organizeability of such a group on reality since they do not exist in reality.
cells completed: 39
claims 6-20;6-19
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

The list of guilds that will not be included has "a smuggler's guild" AND "in general guilds or organizations consisting of unorganizable groups or individuals". No one is claiming that smugglers won't organize simply that they will not be a quild we have as part of TR.

Necromnancers don't have a guild because as they become larger and better organized they appear on the radar screen of the Temple, and Temple kills such people and the general populous is in support of these killings. It would be different if perhaps the general populous loved Necromaners, but they don't and they want to see them burned just much as any Temple Ordinator making the Temple's campaingn against such groups a smashing success. Necromancers survive the Temple's purges by hiding in small numbers and staying out of site...

-Starcrunch
The_Warder
Developer

Post by The_Warder »

what about gladiators
Xui'al
Developer Emeritus

Post by Xui'al »

It just seems to me like too much, although they are all well with reason. It will take forever to script a questline for all of these.
'What if man is not really a scoundrel - man in general, I mean, the whole race of mankind - then all the rest is prejudice, simply artificial terrors and there are no barriers and it's all as it should be.'
Mr. Sorry of Balmora

Post by Mr. Sorry of Balmora »

how about a nonjoinable al provinces Taos(splng?) cult the ginisis imperial leagion cult
Quotidian Modding Hologram

Please state the nature of the Modding Emergency.

"Peace is a dream. Reality is a knife." ICE-T
The_Warder
Developer

Post by The_Warder »

ya your right sorry.
Mr. Sorry of Balmora

The_Warder wrote:ya your right sorry.
was that sarcasm i couldn't tell guess it cause of my name

The_Warder
Developer

Post by The_Warder »

no he does have a point this is a lot of work
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Mr. Sorry Of Balmora wrote:
The_Warder wrote:ya your right sorry.
was that sarcasm i couldn't tell guess it cause of my name
He was talking to Xui'al.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

Well, to address original question about hunters guild. There are few problems with this:
1) Hunting as a main activity is already reserved for daedric cult of Hircine.
2) As I posted I am not very happy about guilds based around one occupation or activity. You may object there is mages guild, fighters guild, thieves guild... But these include many classes and activities connected to whole three ways of adventuring.
3) I still do not see reason why would people base guild just to hunt and compete in hunt. If you provide more lore on this I will be more willing to give it a thought.
It is same as with smugglers. If they would like to organize they would do it inside Thieves Guild or Camona Tong or similar. There simply is no place for another organization doing smuggling only.

I fully understand people want some green light for their ideas before they start working on them, but this is not how it could work. I can give no bianco cheques on guild ideas without knowing what will come out of them. You need to take a risk and try to persuade me. Look at Jale's imperial knights or how long it took for Daedric cults to be approved.
And keep discussions in appropriate threads, please.
THEO
sxotty
Developer

Post by sxotty »

That is fine and good, but it would be better to say.
"No X guild unless you provide the backstory"

You as a team do a diservice to the mod when you crush creativity under the iron fist of mundaneness.

It would always be better to permit more wriggle room and allow people to use imagination, instead of making formulaic boring stuff simply b/c it is filler.
claims 6-20;6-19
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

sxotty wrote: You as a team do a diservice to the mod when you crush creativity under the iron fist of mundaneness.
Crushing creativity under the iron fist of mundaneness? What an alarming slogan! But can you be more concrete?
I am afraid we have different concepts of creativity. Would you call 80 pcent of threads in this forum creative? I would not.
It is just ppl submitting the same ideas again and again and when asked to develop them more or challenged with criticism, they just go away. What I call creativity is coming up with something more then: "Hey! Lets make guilds of XY." or "Hey! Lets make such and such weapons!"
If you call what I do here crushing the creativity I call it constructive criticism. The list in first post is by no means definitive as I am open to discussion and willing to change my ideas, but people should rather give some arguments rather than calling me spoiler.

sxotty wrote:It would always be better to permit more wriggle room and allow people to use imagination, instead of making formulaic boring stuff simply b/c it is filler.
Do you think TR is making boring stuff? Or you think it would be better if core just allowed everyone do everything they want and did not care about quality of the product? Previous core was less willing to hasten reviews and include cells with almost no refs in it. That is how formulaic boring stuff comes into being. Not from discussions and arguments about its content.
THEO
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I think that we should have smuggling quests just not a guild. Smuggling isn't really a full time job anyway, usually theres just one or two people organising it and then a bunch of hired lackeys. The Thieves guild is an obvious choice for such quests, or maybe some House Dres missions. In addition there could be a couple of men in a shady pub somewhere who would give you a few missions, but only on the scale of those guys in the cellar in mournhold, not like a full guild.
fanfas
Developer

Post by fanfas »

Thanks Theo for the answers, But still i think that would be a cool guild to do :d

Maybe i will do a quest out of it.... Lets say a fanatic hunter likes to challange other hunters... this could be a multi quest... I'm goig to try to elaborate one and then post it in the right section.
MAP 3 -> Interiors
Map 3 -> Interior Fixing
EdAptra
Developer

Post by EdAptra »

what about joining the talos guild? The one which is against the Emperor, there's a quest based on it in the missions done for Darius in the Imperial quests done in Morrowind
the greatest drum solo ever - sing, sing, sing
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

The Talos Cult is a cult that WORSHIPS the emperor
EdAptra
Developer

Post by EdAptra »

soz im gettin my facts mixed up
the greatest drum solo ever - sing, sing, sing
Graff
Developer Emeritus

Post by Graff »

Actually, the Talos Cult worships the Emperor's son, and plans to kill the Emperor.

Graff.
[Maybe Not]Done With TR[Quite Yet]
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Then Im getting MY facts mixed up

I was under the impression it was based on Mithraism...oh well, its still not feasible due to the way that the emperor is in Cyrodiil not here.
ThorFluff

Post by ThorFluff »

Mentalnote: Remember talos cult for when we do cyrodiil :P
Works in Progress:
i4-17-Red ; The Fine Clothiere
i4-16-Red ; The Bachelor Pad
Finnished:
Ironbane ; The disintegrate armor spellbook
sxotty
Developer

Post by sxotty »

Theo I was a tad overdramatic, but mainly b/c it was fun.

You did not adress my point though.

No one will bother coming up with a plot line, when you say
"disapproved guilds"

Why waste time trying to think of something when you know in advance it will be ruined.

Morrowind is the ULTIMATE place for smuggling think about it.

1) It is under quarantine
2) There are all kinds of goods we know of that are illegal to trade in
3) In the game itself remember the smugler in hlo oad, or whatever it was called.

Smuggling would be going oni at a frenetic pace, and where this is money to be had organized crime will grow.

I am not saying you should just roll over and allow crap in, but I am saying you should not close off ideas, especially when they are actually ones that should be pursued.

For example list it under
"Guilds under consideration" or some such thing.
claims 6-20;6-19
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Do you want to write and make a quest? We have enough more logical and lore-plussed factions as it is.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

You know the reason for limited amount of guild ? It's limited amount of questmakers. Will you make all those quests ?
[img]http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/3336/oblivionforum5tb.jpg[/img]

Your friendly slavedriver.
sxotty
Developer

Post by sxotty »

Stalker wrote:You know the reason for limited amount of guild ? It's limited amount of questmakers. Will you make all those quests ?
I understand that and am not suggesting you suddenly put it on the approved list, I am saying that by listing it as disapproved you cut down on creativity, perhaps somebody came by thinking "Man I would love to do a smugglers quest line" and then he sees that it is already disapproved and just leaves, the idea withering on the vine.

Thus it would be more user friendly to list the guilds as approved (ones that are actually done), pending (ones approved waiting for a questline), undecided, and disapproved.

The last category actually being stuff that will not be allowed in, such as dragon slayers guild. In otherwords things that will not be allowed no matter what.

Undecided could simplye say
Undecided: guilds that will not be included unless a storyline is completed.

Or some such thing

The only reason I care is that it has always frustrated me when things seem to be too cast in stone, and there is no room for flexibility. I understand very well the reasons why. I know we do not want chaos, but nevertheless it seems that there could be a greater effort to allow for diversity.
claims 6-20;6-19
ThorFluff

Post by ThorFluff »

im going to second that actually.
"Disaproved" is very detering indeed
Works in Progress:
i4-17-Red ; The Fine Clothiere
i4-16-Red ; The Bachelor Pad
Finnished:
Ironbane ; The disintegrate armor spellbook
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

This is how this list works:
Aprroved - guilds which will be included sooner or later
Disapproved - guild which will not be made as seperate guild. If you wish you can make questline for already existing guild, but we will not introduce these.
Unmentioned - Undecided

I can say for sure guilds listed as disapproved will have difficult starting position of approval by me (and any other resonable moderator) for stated reasons. If someones creativity is limited to suggesting stuff which is of no use for TR there is nothing I can do against it.
This list is by no means definite.
Basically if someone comes up with solid questline, lore and organization for guild of, say, dishwashers I can give it a thought. It just lists guilds which have been disapproved already for hunderd times before for the same reason.
But for now all I see is just pointless objections. If someone thinks he can submit entertaining coherent questline for any of guild, go ahead and do not waste your time here...
THEO
Mr. Sorry of Balmora

i would like to propose a Leauge of Races

yes we have an emporer i know and that he has a millitary but think of the implications of a national leauge in Cyrodil if the armies of the emporer shouldv ever fail it would be safe to know that armies of other nations would come to back the empire aginst all terrors (such as in Oblivion)

anyway it is non joinable but you would recieve
quests that would hint at it and eventually lead you into their building.

you have

1. kings
2. guard captians
3. loyal and finacial backers
4. close nobles

Assassinace
Developer

Post by Assassinace »

Just thinking of 2 guilds that would likely be joinable. Merchants guild and probly a guild of sload lackeys (not actually joining the sload but I'm sure they could have a group of chaotic people working for them and could have some fun evil quests) (ok nm fun quests to be had though).
Another interesting guild would be the followers of the king of worms. Remember all the vampires and other creatures following him in daggerfall well something has to happen to them since he's likely gone or changed or something.
Xanthyd

Post by Xanthyd »

Is there any information posted about the Twin Lamps? I'd like to know more about it, being that my Morrowind character is strongly opposed to Argonian and Khajiit slavery.
"If Man does not keep pace with His companions, perhaps it is because He hears a different drummer." - Henry David Thoreau
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

Xanthyd wrote:Is there any information posted about the Twin Lamps? I'd like to know more about it, being that my Morrowind character is strongly opposed to Argonian and Khajiit slavery.
I agree. Enslave the Nords!!! :twisted: :v

You'd have been better posting a new thread than raising a dead one. Dunmer don't like necromancers much, especially abolitionist ones.

Anyway, to answer your question. Yes, yes there is. You'll have to dig through the lore, archives, and literature forums to find out what is though. To be more precise, it is really a collection of Twin Lamps lore from Morrowind (books and dialogue) compiled and added to be expanded for a Morrowind wide faction. There was a questline of sorts made, as well as some appropriate literature.
Xanthyd

Post by Xanthyd »

Just came across one of Haplo's quest outlines for the Twin Lamps. Thanks for the help anyway.
"If Man does not keep pace with His companions, perhaps it is because He hears a different drummer." - Henry David Thoreau
edog99

Mercenarys Guild

Post by edog99 »

What about the Mercenarys Guild??
Or Bounty Hunters giuld...

It can be good for freelancers and those who wish to earn some extra mony...
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Re: Mercenarys Guild

Post by Nomadic1 »

edog99 wrote:What about the Mercenarys Guild??
Or Bounty Hunters giuld...

It can be good for freelancers and those who wish to earn some extra mony...
That's what the Fighter's Guild is. Quite literally.
edog99

Post by edog99 »

Dear Nomadic1

It's true that the fighters gulid is kind of mercenary guild, But also the mages and thives guilds are...
All three guilds similar to mercenary guild, but each guild have their on masters, interests and political view, while i mean to pure mercenary\bounty huntres guild without - masters, interest and political view...