What Language is Used?

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Fival

What Language is Used?

Post by Fival »

What language is used for the scripting of Morrowind? C++? Visual C? I have no idea how to code anything, except GM and GMM. (And web stuff like html and php.)

But I wish to learn how to code Morrowind and OB when it arrives.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

The Morrowind Scripting Language is used. It is both unique and simple.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Assassinace
Developer

Post by Assassinace »

Close to C++ but not exact (basic if/else syntax but nothing fancy like pointers or arrays or well besic if/else and loops.
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Contrarily to the C family of languages, it doesn't use curlies ( the { and } ) to contain instruction blocks, instead using endifs and endwhiles to close the ifs and whiles. In this, it's closer to shell scripts.

It doesn't feature the &, &&, | and || operators. (No % either).

It also doesn't tolerate nestled parens, and of course there's no string variables. No enums either. And indeed no pointers.

Oh, and the 34th variable declared in a scrip cannot be used for anything, if you need more than 33 variables in a script, the 34th one must be a dummy. Why? Because. (If it's a script on a character, you can put "nolore" as the dummy variable. It will still exist and be usable to filter dialogues, but it will always be worth 0 and no amount of scripting will ever modify it.)

Don't expect any OO aspect.

For Oblivion, the devs have promised a much richer language, with OO stuff, nestled parens, and the missing operators. But no pointers. They haven't said yet if they plane of having nifty special surprises like the 34th variable.