House Hlaalu Stronghold Plans [ADDED]

Place where in-game literature is written and developed.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Xui'al
Developer Emeritus

House Hlaalu Stronghold Plans [ADDED]

Post by Xui'al »

Great House Hlaalu Stronghold Plans
by Dondos Driler, Balmora

Our great and noble House has come to a point where it needs to expand its territory, and keep it safe from those that would attempt and intrude upon it. In my job as House Architect, I have designed a small fortress that would be ideal for this type of expansion.

The ideal location for holding our territory from the 'honorable' Redorans would be in the Southwest of Vvardenfell. Hla Oad has no practical mean of defenses, and is too far from any Hlaalu settlements should another House attempt to take our territory. Odai Plateau is the proposed location, as it is located on a hill, making an attack difficult, and it is also between the Odai and the Inner Sea, shortening the route to Balmora from Hla Oad; this would likely work to the favor of Hla Oad, as it would bolster trade with a safer, quicker route to Balmora. Should the Western border of Morrowind be attacked by the Empire trying to exploit more from our lands, or from the profane horrors on the Firemoth Archipelago, the populous of Hla Ruhn and Verarchen Hall could fall back to the Odai Plateau stronghold.

Across the Odai River from the stronghold is a blighted egg mine. This mine has gone unused, for several reasons. The people of Balmora do not need the extra eggs, and due to the abundance of mines around Morrowind, they are of little economic value. However, should a stronghold be built at Odai Plateau, the populous there could use the eggs, and any extras could be easily taken to Hla Oad and shipped out of Province. It would be inexpensive for the mine to start producing again; all that would be needed is several miners, and a priest or a cleric to cure the blight on the Kwama Queen.

The actual physical plans for the stronghold are simple. On the Plateau, it is planned that a manor would be built for the ruling official, a guard tower, where an elite House Hlaalu soldier would be assigned, houses for several merchants, and a wall constructed around the compound for defense. The House official that would be taking residence here would have to pay the customary 5000 drakes for their manor, but House Hlaalu will cover the costs for the rest. The estimated construction costs are around 100 000 drakes, and while this may seem somewhat steep, it is reasonable given how the entire Southwestern section of Vvardenfell will be opened for trade. The roads to Balmora from Pelagiad, Seyda Neen and Suran could also be taxed, providing more cash flow for Great House Hlaalu.

It would be prudent that we find a candidate for this right away, as the other Great Houses are also beginning to prepare drafts for their strongholds. House Hlaalu agents indicate that it is likely that the Telvanni and Redoran Houses will be constructing their strongholds on Vvardenfell as they have holding there, but it is completely unknown what the Dres and Indoril Houses intend to do.
Last edited by Xui'al on Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Arthmodeus
Developer

Post by Arthmodeus »

1.O.MW

Properties: Probably one or two copies in Narsis.