mods and textures conversion: oblivion

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Lutemoth
Developer Emeritus

mods and textures conversion: oblivion

Post by Lutemoth »

Just a bit of curiosity, how will the conversion take place when we switch to Oblivion? From what I've seen in the video walkthroughs, it's a matter of texture details in a lot of places. But, there is extra worldly additions much different in playstyle than Morrowind (different item physics, sounds objects make when dragged around). Are these steps easily hurdled, or is it still shrouded how it's going to work?
HoonDing mongori tiavo; Lemansha temin diang hibat.
The Hoon Ding guides us; all others can Make Way.
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

Morrowind and Oblivion won't be compatible. Our work on Morrowind will not be usable in Oblivion. We will be starting a new province in TES4.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

You REALLY don't want me to come back.
Doedel

Post by Doedel »

How will that work? Will TR split into two seperate projects: TES3 and TES4, with different teams? I'd like to jump on the TES4 bandwagon ASAP.
Orix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Orix »

Yes, TR will split into two projects.

Although we shouldn't jump to conclusions that none of the work we have done for Morrowind cant be replicated and reused here and there. Models can have their format changed, books can be reused and the like. As long as we have the base material there will be a possibility of some conversion, surely? Although cells would probabaly be next to impossible.

But then again TR doesn't really need to split into three projects with Morrowind for Oblivion being yet another priority :P.
P.S. Please don't make handbags, wallets, belts or shoes out of Orix [img]http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/3826/orixmj4.png[/img]
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

No, we're not splitting in two, we're just going to keep a section around for people who'd still like to work on TES3.
"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact, it's all dark."
Inferno_str1ke

Post by Inferno_str1ke »

If we asked nicely, maybe Silgrad Tower would let us use their conversions - they've already started converting stuff for use with the Oblivion engine, so if we were up for some bartering...
M1ke
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

If that were to happen, it wouldn't work as TR asking ST or TR asking Razorwing. It would happen as someone who happens to be a member at TR asking someone who happens to be a member at ST
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Inferno_str1ke

Post by Inferno_str1ke »

YOu been on the Christmas brandy Haplo? That made less sense than one of Prometheus' posts.
M1ke
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

That means that in terms of lore Blacklight is even worse than Moogle mods.
[img]http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/3336/oblivionforum5tb.jpg[/img]

Your friendly slavedriver.
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

What's a moogle mod?

Also, how bad is it that I got sense of what Haplo was saying?
<insert witty signature here. i might spend time trying to come up with something, but its not like anybody reads these anyway>
Doedel

Post by Doedel »

Hm... my name seems to have been mentioned...
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Maybe the actual enmity is overrated. I've seen this the other day: [url=http://silgrad.com/cpo/st_oblivion_items/detail.php?nr=1777&kategorie=st_oblivion_items]Thanks to Detritus and Tamriel Rebuilt for use of the textures (most are from Detritus Redoran retexture mod).[/url]
Razorwing

Post by Razorwing »

I guess the question is where you draw the line between a modder and a team. Taking Hoss as an example close to home for us, who's done a lot of modelling work, I wouldn't presume to say who can and can't use his work. Only he can do that.

To the best of my recollection our plans for Oblivion include models by Asylum ([url=http://silgrad.com/cpo/st_oblivion_items/detail.php?nr=1807&kategorie=st_oblivion_items]this model[/url]) and Veet (collection of [url=http://silgrad.com/cpo/st_oblivion_items/detail.php?nr=1783&kategorie=st_oblivion_items]Velothi exteriors[/url] as well as the [url=http://silgrad.com/cpo/st_oblivion_items/detail.php?nr=1788&kategorie=st_oblivion_items]black rose[/url]). We have explicit permission from Asylum to use his model. But despite several attempts I haven't been able to get hold of Veet at all. I think the textures used on the Redoran buildings are partly from Detritus and partly from Tamriel Rebuilt. In the case of the latter I wasn't able to pin down which individual made those textures, but I knew they came from Tamriel Rebuilt, hence that name in the credits.

We want to keep a small ratio of [url=http://www.silgrad.com/cpo/st_oblivion_items/]the models[/url] private and only used in Silgrad Tower, to give a player of the mod a unique and interesting experience, but I would say we're open to the community as a hole to use most of the stuff we're creating. That would include Tamriel Rebuilt. How much of it that will be *useful* to Tamriel Rebuilt is another question though as we're purposely trying to do Morrowind-related stuff that would look out of place in Hammerfell.
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

It seems like my post was absolutly out of place. No wonder. I replied to the wrong topic :)
[img]http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/3336/oblivionforum5tb.jpg[/img]

Your friendly slavedriver.
Pythearon

Conversion

Post by Pythearon »

As far as i know, I think i read somewhere that oblivian was being released with a possible mod conversion to the CS. Im not sure where i saw this or if its late and im crazy but ill start looking around in my norm spots for the artical if it does exist.
Inferno_str1ke

Post by Inferno_str1ke »

Inferno_str1ke wrote:If we asked nicely, maybe Silgrad Tower would let us use their conversions - they've already started converting stuff for use with the Oblivion engine, so if we were up for some bartering...
Quoting myself is odd, but a few of you missed what I was saying (though Razorwing got it spot on). I was meaning that when we go to Oblivion, we could borrow models, meshes and textures from ST. I think Halpo thought I was meaning bring ST back to our project, as did others afterwards. But as Razorwind points out, we are doing Hammerfell, and they are doing Morrowind, so we probably can't use their stuff. Much.
M1ke
Veet
Developer Emeritus

Post by Veet »

We have explicit permission from Asylum to use his model. But despite several attempts I haven't been able to get hold of Veet at all.
Consider yourself to have permision.
"Everyone is in favor of free speech. Hardly a day passes without its being extolled, but some people's idea of it is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone else says anything back, that is an outrage."
-- Winston Churchill
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

Besides, if you really look at the stuff they want to use for oblivion, It looks like total crap.
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

his post is right above you E....

while i dont think the models are ugly, but they definaly dotn have OB quality. and I can see the polies, which are not simetrical. and the redoran stuff dosent look very redoran (not enough time pased between games for them to change their style)
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
Inferno_str1ke

Post by Inferno_str1ke »

Well you can't expect old stuff to look as good as new stuff with just a few standardised changes - the things would have to be redone from scratch with just a picture of the old for guidance, and that's alot of work for an entire game's models. So new ones where really necessary, but old ones can suffice.
M1ke
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

As morrowind meshes, they're just fine.

They need to be rebuilt from scratch though for OB. In a few rare cases you might be able to get away with simply adding the new mappings and some more detail.
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

Do we even know if OB will support .nif meshes?
I think we may be jumping the gun a bit here assuming what the mesh quality of Oblivion will be. Unless they have released a statement on facecount and whatnot, we really can't tell too much from the screenshots.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

You REALLY don't want me to come back.
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

The nif format doesn't matter, they need to be re-exported with the mappings, and physics information added to begin with.
Razorwing

Post by Razorwing »

Originally posted by Veet:
Consider yourself to have permision.
Thankyou Veet, that is most kind of you.
We'll be sure to make the beautiful [url=http://silgrad.com/cpo/st_oblivion_items/detail.php?nr=1788&kategorie=st_oblivion_items]Black Rose[/url] a common sight in the Morrowind Province.
Silgrad Tower
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

I'm pretty sure he meant us.
Razorwing

Post by Razorwing »

How do you figure that, Eraser?
Silgrad Tower
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

An oversight on eraser's part i'm sure. We already have permission for using Veet's models. Veet clearly meant ST in his post, seeing as how he quoted you Razorwing.