Hammerfell Book Meshes

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Xui'al
Developer Emeritus

Hammerfell Book Meshes

Post by Xui'al »

As probably figured, we are going to need new book meshes for our upcoming work on Hammerfell. I would like to brainstorm some ideas here about the types to be seen. We are going to need a greater variety of book meshes this time, as currently majority of the ones that we have are Imperial in style. Here is the first one that I found:
[url]http://www.istockphoto.com/file_closeup/abstract/backgrounds/207079_book_texture.php?id=207079[/url]
I am not suggesting buying any other these, I am just trying to brainstorm the styles of books that we will need.
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

I think we should wait for OB to worry about book meshes.

We've seen NPCs reading and turning pages. Significantly more complex than book meshes in morrowind.
"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact, it's all dark."
Vholdrian
Developer

Post by Vholdrian »

I think book meshes are not that important. Its just the scaling and the texture that does the job for me. But again, that's just me.
[img]http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/4350/ve3flv2.jpg[/img]

People ask me to put my signature here. However, I do not want to write on my LCD screen. It's a good way to ruin a perfectly good screen. -M'aiq's little brother
Vernon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vernon »

Eraser is right, each book mesh will probably need a lot more attention. - books no longer appear to be static meshes, instead they are animated. That doesn't prevent us gathering suitable textures if we come across them, but there is certainly no rush. :)
welp
Xui'al
Developer Emeritus

Post by Xui'al »

I just thought that it was a good idea to be on the lookout, as it is likely that I will be creating the BoT for the new engine.
'What if man is not really a scoundrel - man in general, I mean, the whole race of mankind - then all the rest is prejudice, simply artificial terrors and there are no barriers and it's all as it should be.'
Vholdrian
Developer

Post by Vholdrian »

But why should we (or you ofcourse) make new meshes if there's a lot of them in OB? I think there will be alot of different meshes in OB, since its detail is a lot higher than Morrowind... or am i wrong? Ofcourse, if you like to make book meshes, do as you wish, but i think flora, creatures and architecture can use the good modellers as well IMO.

People ask me to put my signature here. However, I do not want to write on my LCD screen. It's a good way to ruin a perfectly good screen. -M'aiq's little brother
Xui'al
Developer Emeritus

Post by Xui'al »

I do agree, that the other meshes take priority. I would also assume that with Oblivion taking place in Cyrodiil, an educated state, that there will be a great deal of books around. (Bethesda promises around 400) The meshes that these books use are likely to be fantastic, but they are also going to be primarily Imperial. Sure there might be some that have a more Nordic or Redguard style, but I would say that majority of the book meshes will be Imperial.
'What if man is not really a scoundrel - man in general, I mean, the whole race of mankind - then all the rest is prejudice, simply artificial terrors and there are no barriers and it's all as it should be.'
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

i have several textures that could be used for hammerfell books.

as for actual meshes, im thinkg alot mare scrols this time around....
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
Inferno_str1ke

Post by Inferno_str1ke »

Lady N made the point on my mind as I was reading this - the area seems slightly less civilised, even if more so than Skyrim, and less likely to have people going around binding books so using scrolls would make sense. And as NPCs probably can't read scrolls it will be less problematic as well.
M1ke
Vholdrian
Developer

Post by Vholdrian »

WHo said that NPC's can't read scrolls?

Xui'al
Developer Emeritus

Post by Xui'al »

I think they are implying that it is simpler to put things on scrolls, rather than bind entire books, due to the lower education level of Hammerfell.
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

actualy, thats not what im implying :P im not implying anything :P i just thought that it would be tight to have more books be on scrolls. since both middle eastern and asian peoples have scroll books....
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
Xui'al
Developer Emeritus

Post by Xui'al »

I do see your point. In terms of realism and asthetics it certainly makes sence, although a few dry, cracked leather bound meshes would be nice.
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

im not saying we should replace book meshes, they are sexeh (ill draw concepts if i have time)
In hoc signo vinces

-PoHa!
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Vholdrian wrote:WHo said that NPC's can't read scrolls?
If we haven't seen it it doesn't exist, ofcourse.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Xui'al
Developer Emeritus

Post by Xui'al »

Even with the book animations, we still can change the covers for several dozen and get away with it.