New Armor-Ursine Hide

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Kevaar

New Armor-Ursine Hide

Post by Kevaar »

There was a mention of an "ursine-hide helm" in Lord Jornibret's Last Dance. We should probably make it an armor type (Does anybody know what an ursine is anyway?)
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

And we should make the ursine that usually wears the hide before a helm is made of it, too. Erm, is this criter found in Morrowind? If not, where?
Elder Mod.

For now, I'm sleeping in my lightless city beneath the waves.

But someday ... I will be back.

Fthagn.
Geowulf

Post by Geowulf »

Maybe a bear-like creature?

Ursus=Bear

This could be interesting for creature-creators. You can start from an existing bear and then modify it untill you have a totally out of this world fantasy monster :D .
Read the Books of Tamriel @ http://geowulf.tamriel-rebuilt.org

Currently doing:
- Bal Oyra interiors fix
- Bosmora, warehouse and indoor market
OOT status:
BoT (v1.4.)
CoT (v1.0.)
Kevaar

Post by Kevaar »

Hmm...maybe it could look like a dire bear (NWN) but then, everybody would recognize it. Possible modifications listed. Heh, pick and choose from my brainstorms; I have no idea what might look good.
long tail
pointed ears
thin body
long hair
long whiskers
heavier jaws
twice as big
twice as small
change legs to usual animal legs (from standing on whole foot, as humans and bears do, to standing on tip toes, like wolves and cats)
long ears
large eyes
mane (either like lion's or like horse's)
scales
feathers (a bird with four legs, no wings...hmm....)
horns
fangs (sabertooth?)
hands instead of paws (either front and back like monkeys or just front)
retractable claws
wings
hooves
skin
um....
Last edited by Kevaar on Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Didnt Solstheim already have bears, besideds morrowind is to hot and to dry for bears to live in anyway.
Last edited by Prowler on Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Our vision is to recreate Tamriel in a way truthful to how Bethesda Softworks would have wanted it to look like by using TES lore."
Geowulf

Post by Geowulf »

Maybe "ursine-hide helm" simply refers to the bear-helm that came with Bloodmoon...

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with inventing some new creatures. Even if they never make it in TR.
Read the Books of Tamriel @ http://geowulf.tamriel-rebuilt.org

Currently doing:
- Bal Oyra interiors fix
- Bosmora, warehouse and indoor market
OOT status:
BoT (v1.4.)
CoT (v1.0.)
Kevaar

Post by Kevaar »

No, it wasn't meaning bear. There was another helmet--called a bear helmet--so they're two different things.
Earl
Developer Emeritus

Post by Earl »

A fellow in a ursine-hide helm
Said, "The Queen of Rimmen and her consort
Have put together quite a sport.
Which lady fair do you prefer?"

The man in the mask of a bear
Had left the Lord of Gaer
Before the ladies' dance was ending.

She said smiling in a voice deep as a man's,
"My maids worked quickly to repair,
While I wore a suit of hide, a helm of a bear."

The guy in the ursine-hide helm was talking to Lord Ogin Jornibret of Gaer. The man in the mask of bear is the same guy. The ursine-hide and bear helms are one and the same. Not that it was actually a guy wearing it :D

If someone wore a canine-hide helm, we wouldn't go making both canines and dogs. At least, I hope not.
I have kleptomania, but when it gets really bad, I take something for it.
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

Too bad. I'm always for new critters :(
Elder Mod.

Fthagn.
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

how about a dragon fly armor?
"Our vision is to recreate Tamriel in a way truthful to how Bethesda Softworks would have wanted it to look like by using TES lore."
dEUS

Post by dEUS »

perhaps this is not the thread for it.. but what about a shield made from black dragon scales.. you have dragon armour in the game.. but its not as cool as it should be...

-D-
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

Hm, given how rare tamrielic dragons (actually, dragons in the TES world in general) are, and supposing they don't moult (like birds do), thus providing a large supply of scales, I'm not entirely convinced that there should be much armour made from dragon parts. Then again, there is imperial dragonscale armour, but it's seemingly so rare the legions don't even recognize it as imperial armour ;).

It might well be a dragonling armour; these beasts seem to be quite common around Iliac bay. But even then, it should not be common in Morrowind.

We could, however, replace the existing dragonscale armour with something much cooler looking (I didn't like the look of it either), and make the existing meshes into a new armour. Maybe Cliff racer Armour? That way, all those racer plumes one collects will be put to good use :D
Elder Mod.

Fthagn.
dEUS

Post by dEUS »

I am not talking about a whole armour.. a simple rare shield.. a steel shield covered in black scales. Like in the movie "Dragon Slayer". A mere shield should be a doable I think. to get the scales you should kill it that much is true. But once there were alot of dragons. (in pre arena days if i am not mistaken)

-D-
Last edited by dEUS on Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Katse

Post by Katse »

Ursine is an adjective meaning like a bear. So an ursine hide is just a fancy way of saying bear hide.

Dragonlings...if they're widespread, are they Tamriel's version of, say, Gila dragons? Though diminutive, their appearance reinforces the dragon myths of old.

Dragons wouldn't moult, they're reptile--they'd slough off their skin like snakes or lizards by rubbing against rocks (big rocks :D) and other rough surfaces. In the wild, skins can be preserved for a long time--they dry out, but as long as the humidity is good, they won't crumble to dust. So it is possible to find remains of dragon scales near a carcass, or a favored ""scratching the itch" rock. :)

Katse
Last edited by Katse on Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cep

Post by Cep »

That makes quite interesting quest ideas come to mind :D
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

Yeah, if they periodically lose their skin, that would mean quite a big supply in dragon scales ... so there might be fully scaled dragon armour around somewhere.
Elder Mod.

Fthagn.
Kevaar

Post by Kevaar »

But when snakes lose their skins, they just lose the skin part, not any actual scales.
Earl
Developer Emeritus

Post by Earl »

Um. . . if most of the dragons in the world are dead. . . Wouldn't that mean there would be a TON of scales floating around?

At least in Akavir, where most of them were killed and eaten. And assuming dragon scales aren't edible.
I have kleptomania, but when it gets really bad, I take something for it.
RaJevir

Post by RaJevir »

Even the skin over the dragon scales could be quite tough. I would imagine that it would be quite thick... Though it would be plausible to have scales collected from dead dragons too.
"Scrib specimen number two escaped from its pen today. Again. I shall have to find some other way to limit its mobility, as building higher walls seems to have little effect" -Mistress Rathra
Private_Svejk

Post by Private_Svejk »

Considering that dragons are extremely rare...

1. There is little chance of having a lot of armor made from dragon scales, particulary if the scales must be obtained... (cough, cough) forcibly.
2. And I do believe that the Imperials for one highly respect dragons for several reasons, not to mention the fact that Tiber Septim himself seemed to have solid connections of some kind to dragons

The only way I can see to have dragon-scale armor of any kind is to kave it be a patchwork of shreds from several different dragons, not a whole piece. I just can't envision being able to kill something so powerful without doing quite a bit of damage to the scales.
Try to find GopherBuddy and Associates How To documents on the web! They are good reading and are sure to shock and offend you!