Haplo
Lead Developer

6-22-Dre

Post by Haplo »

Claim type: Exterior
Claim ID: TR_6-22-Dre (#205)
Faction: Dres
Claimed by: Parted User
Files: TR_6-22-Dre_Billay_1.esp; TR_6-22-Dre_Billay_2.esp; TR_6-22-Dre_Haplo_2.esp

---

Dense & Awesome Jungle. FPS must be greater than or equal to 13.
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

Zalz, you still working on this?
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

You REALLY don't want me to come back.
Zalzidrax
Developer

Post by Zalzidrax »

Indeed. I just wanted to do the details myself, and since some of the custom sound effects and plants that might be wanted for this still aren't around yet, it's kind of on hold. The uploaded version is more or less complete besides this, however.
kingfish
Developer Emeritus

Post by kingfish »

status please...
by posting useless junk on these forums you WON'T become a modder, only a spammer...
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

Revoked. User inactive for an ungodly length of time.
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

GNEEEEEH!!!!!!! OPEN ARGON JUNGLE CLAIM!!!!!!!!! *burstintoflames*
I would REALLY REALLY like to claim this. it's fairly small, and as far as I know zalz made a hell of alot of progress, so it'd mostly be a finish-up job. I won't have too much time to work on it (end-of-semester), but i'll crunch when I can. Ive mainly been spending my free time these days dicking around on hardware sites, so I can make time. I'll be getting the new computer sometime around the end of this month, so that'll probably help boost my work-speed by a bunch. Also, I can work on my argon jungle textures to make them less green while i'm at it.
So, to make it official,
I would like to request this claim.
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

If you want to claim this, I'll grant it to you. Just keep us updated, and no new models or retextures or any of that.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

actually, I wouldn't be able to work on it till sunday, so is it okay to wait till then for a final answer? The reason I ask is because I'm wondering how my inner sea detailing concept will go - if it's actually greenlighted, i'd probably rather focus on that; but I sense its chances of seeing the light are rather low. :-/
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

I'm officially grabbing this now.
my plans are to see if I can contact zalzidrax at all, and get the latest version - if not, i'll start from what's here and power-sweep with making actual jungle. if there aren't any places of interest, I'd like to add an abandoned dres tower on the border, and an eggmine long lost to the jungle.
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

PUSH TEH CLAIM BUTTEN!!!
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

heh, oopsie. :-P
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

Status Update:

After looking over the claim, it appears to be mostly done. however, there are some serious region-blending issues - the jungle just stops completely and turns to GL suddenly, which looks quite awful - ill be redoing those 3 cells to make the region transition more natural. ALso, the "mountains" on the argonian border were no more than rocktextured hills, so I alleviated that issue by adding real mountains (which will have vegetation creeping up the more gradually-sloped base). In addition, i'm redoing the small patch on and across the border (and the entire SWmost cell) in the same style as the muck lakes in 6-26 (see "swamp" screenshot on main page for example). Before, he just made a whole bunch of bitter shrubs clumped together, and in one cell that's mostly across the border he seriously made the Black Marsh WG-style. I have no idea what posessed him to do that. loking at it leaves me more baffled than if goblox, the cybernetic turkey ghost of christmas past from the future, teleported into my house and started watching english league footy.

The argon jungle itself is just about completely finished by zalzidrax though, and looks gleefully awesome as is. The only change i'll make to it (other than undone finishing touches) is delete all of the mist, which is the main root of the FPS issues. I took some overhead screens in the CS - the claim is so small that the entire area can be loaded and viewed at once - but they're on a different computer. No new computer until at least the beginning of february, so I can still work only every other week - not till next sunday will I be able to do more work.

EDIT: looking at the map, I'm going to do away with mountains on the border entirely - instead, i'll revamp the edge cells to make a gradually incrasing amount of muck-lakes till, at the border, it's pretty much just islands in a muck sea. perhaps not neccesary, bu damn will it ever look and feel cool (and more natural too).
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

Overhead screen! I did the writing in paint at the time, and it looks awfully incoherent, so heres a description verbally:
The west half of the westernmost cells, except for the SWmost two, is just fine. the other half of those cells has SERIOUS issues with blending into the jungle, and is going to be 100% redone probably from scratch - as will the "mountains" along the argonian border, and the SWmost two cells. Everything else (the jungle itself) is JUST fine, and is already completely finished as far as I can tell.
Attachments
622overview.jpg
622overview.jpg (53.28 KiB) Viewed 9120 times
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Well, the awfully incoherent lines kind of defeat the point of showing a screenshot, as they cover-up just about everything worth looking at, and using a picture to show.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

Yeah, upload another shot without the lines so I can switch between the two.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

Ive made alot of progress since I took these (yesterday) - im in the middle of replacing those mountains on the argonian border with swamp, which means pretty much starting over from scratch. all the terrain is done, and as I type this i'm filling in the vast amounts of trees. Last night I changed around the textures for the GL area in need of fixing (so that it would blend with the AJ area nicely), and have yet to begin adding flora there.
Attachments
622overview.jpg
(60.05 KiB) Downloaded 301 times
622overviewlines.JPG
the parts with little criscrosses are the parts im going to either heavily fix or completely redo.
(76.79 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
PoHa!
Developer Emeritus

Post by PoHa! »

Ah, it seems you're going to redo the jungle's border along the west most side, no?

If you are, and you add some nice cliffs and stuff that lead into my claim, then I can redo the section in 6-8 that leads into the northern portion of your NE most cell, and give it some nicer looking rocks, etc., instead of the forced gradual decline that I have there now (in my claim, I have large rocks/cliffs surrounding the jungle on all sides, except this one area).
"When you find out someone's sleeping with your wife, you want to kill the f***er"
~Prof. Gardner

"You wiki'd my girlfriend?"
~Dexter
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

to quote Carl:
Freakin' AWESOME!

Since I'm unable to resume work till sunday, go ahead and do what you want with your end first. My new computer is coming in whenvever my dad is not-po' enough to take my money out of his bank account, which could be next week or next month for all I know. SO far, ive been working on his business computer, and since im already only at his hosue every other week I dont have too much time.
sxotty
Developer

Post by sxotty »

POHA is that also next to the corner of 6-44? If so can you check on that b/c it is low already all along the southern edge. And it is that way due to the claims that were previously next to it, but there is a tiny stream on the south east of 6-44 and it would look silly if it ended abbruptly.
cells completed: 39
claims 6-20;6-19
PoHa!
Developer Emeritus

Post by PoHa! »

I believe you must have your claims confused, Sxotty. 6-8 is in the middle of 6-44 and 6-22, in such a way that 6-44 has no contact with 6-22.

If you meant something else, rest assured that I went to great pains to match 6-8 with all bordering claims.

SirWoot: No, YOU go ahead and do what YOU want to do. I've been busy with other things recently. I'll match my claim to yours later. And if you truly do take a really long time, then I'll inform you of any important changes in this thread.
"When you find out someone's sleeping with your wife, you want to kill the f***er"
~Prof. Gardner

"You wiki'd my girlfriend?"
~Dexter
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

sounds like a deal. :)
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

Got any progress to show us yet?
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

I will very soon, I'm waiting for my brother to email me my claim file from my dad's computer. once that happens, i'll be able to work into the wee hours of tonight, and (hopefully) accomplish a hell of alot on this impossible-to-slow beast of a new computer. All the work i've done so far is either minnimally noticeable, or in such early stages as to be totally unpresentable. If he doesn't email it, I'll do the healthy thing and go to bed and use tomorrow morning/afternoon (no school, president's day) to do the crunching. Luckily for my modding, half-life 2 can only run for an hour before my intergrated video gets too hot to rely on it not crashing, so it'll be tough for me to get distracted. :-P
EDIT: Hillariously, I got the file the very second I hit the "submit" button. Crunchytime!! :twisted:
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

I've made some delicious progress on the border's muck-swamps! I took a big panorama-style screenshot that i'll upload once I get home. I'm about half-done with adding the immense amount of trees to all the swamp areas (which make up nearly a third of the total claim space), and all of the mist is in place too. The jungle itself was TOTALLY finished by zalzidrax, but ther're some region-blending issues that are urging me to expand the jungle area so it naturalistically blends half a cell into the westernmost cells.
As an aesthetic experiment, I added a monolithic giant-pillar type daedric monument that's sinking into the swamp - originally built as an easily visible marker to the argonian tribes as to where their territory ends. I can easily delete it if y'all think it fugly. :-P
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

Sorry it took so long to upload... busy with work.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/Sirwootalot/panorama.jpg
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Hmm... so your computer is really fast, and your dads is really kind of slow. So here's an idea for playtesting to try how FPS will show on not-as-fast-computers-as-yours:

Do cool stuff like that, then send an .esp of it to your dads comp (Or whichever you used before your new one), and playtest it. if it's terrible there (ie 7 or below...ish), then you'll know you have to go lighten it up a bit, but if it's good, you'll know it's...um...good!

Btw nice shot there, looks groovy.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

Actually, morrowind runs just as terrible on this comp as it did on his... between 15 and 10 FPS, probably much more once I delete all of the mist from the jungle. it's only the CS that's OMGFROXORZfastlol.
About that giant pillar-ey thing, should I keep it, or remove it? it was more just a random artistic idea I had, an experiment so to say.
Last edited by sirwootalot123 on Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

Let's see a screenshot of it.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

woah... my bro just installed the BF2 demo, which totally fucked up my CS, probably by forcibly installing an outdated video driver. everything is black in the view window... :-/
EDIT: for now, you can see alot of it on the far right sid eof the panorama shot. I'll upload a full, better view once i'm done reinstalling all my video drivers.
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

here you is.!
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/Sirwootalot/Random%20TR/statue2.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/Sirwootalot/Random%20TR/statue1.jpg[/img]
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

I would get rid of it, or at least tone it down a lot. In that position, the statue of Mephala would have toppled to the ground by now. If you want to keep the idea of the warning totem, a Velothi or Dres pillar would work much better in my mind, as I doubt the Chimer would have built a statue of Mephala to warn off the Argonians. Seems a bit sacreligious.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

Just a pillar? alrighty.
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

It can be a tower, but nothing that big.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

I'll make it a single pillar, probably. anything more would suggest that it has an interior, and anything less would be totally purposeless.
in not-claim matters, I'm going to encounter extreme difficulty in finishing this before oblivion's release (when that happens, no way in hell will I ever be able to go back to the old CS!). School and social life are gonna be pretty stretched, but I'm HOPING I can cruch this bee-hotch and have it in by next sunday afternoon. RIght now, i'm going to try and crunch some schoolwork, to get it out of the way next week - and monday (same day as oblivion!) ive got an extremely difficult play audition. being an actor just as much as a modder, that's gonna take much of my time as well.
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

I replaced the pillar with something that looks ALMOST like a daedric version of the tower in cyrodiil, but 10 times smaller and it's a pillar instead of a tower. the base is a fancy-looking platform, alot like that big altar I made for 6-26, but nowhere near as big. it has an entrance, but it's clogged by moss and muck. I'd upload a screen, but I can't access the internet on my computer while i'm at my dad's house (my mom has a router, he doesnt).
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

A massive spewing of new pics!

The first three are of a ruined ancent village, Aldgah Mar - super-ancient, like first-era dwemer-still-around ancient. It's done in the old mournhold style, and has (more like had) 15 buildings. It's built into a deeply protected cliffside alcove, an almost complete circle of 70-foot cliffs. Only 5 buildings are still intact, and probably only 2 or 3 will actually be enterable.
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/Sirwootalot/Random%20TR/AldgahMar3.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/Sirwootalot/Random%20TR/AldgahMar1.jpg[/img]

And here's the new "Daedric pillar". it's an actual structure now, yes, but it's unenterable. The NPC is solely there to give a sense of scale.
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/Sirwootalot/Random%20TR/daedric02.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/Sirwootalot/Random%20TR/daedric01.jpg[/img]

Tell me what you think!! keep? delete?
I havent been modding as much lately because of something i'm extremely excited about, but want to hold off on announcing (for now) for drama's sake.
I aim to (hopefully) crunch like no man has ever crunched tomorrow - there's gonna be a snow day and no school, we're getting ANOTHER ten inches of snow overnight; adding up to a staggering two feet of snow!!! traffic's been horrendously dangerous enough with the ten inches we already have. On monday, when the first ten inches came, every school in the entire REGION except mine was closed - lame, eh?
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

Looks good. :] It's coming along nicely. I like the ruined city. I was trying to make something kinda like that on Gorne Island, but I couldn't make it look right. Well done :)

I don't really like the height of the big pillar in the shrine thingy though. I don't know if it actually needs it but, whether or not it does, it is too tall for the ruin IMO.
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

Dude, I said earlier, something smaller. This is a dense jungle claim, you should be focusing on the wilderness, and not cramming it full of Daedric and Dunmer ruins.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

Thing is though, jungle and wilderness aren't really presentable in pretty screens 'till they're completely done... :P
Tonight I have a performance (I'm in an Improv club), but till then, im gonna mod like mad. And dex, what I'm mainly wondering is, should I keep the dunmer city ruin? as for the daedric thing, i'll make the pillar like 3 times shorter so the whole thing is more of a dome.
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

Okay, before you do another thing, I want you to consider this:
What was there first, the Chimer, or the jungle?
If the answer is the jungle, there shouldn't be any structures in your claim, Daedric or otherwise. You've always been one of the biggest advocates of how hostile the Argon Jugle is, so how do you justify placing two architectural features in your claim? It is my opinion that your claim should not contain either one. Also, I am of the opinion that the Old Mournhold manor buildings are among the worst-looking meshes in the game.
Also, upload a WIP plugin. I want to take a look at your tree placement. From the screens, they look a bit too regimented and regular to me.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie