5-1-Red

After an exterior claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Haplo
Lead Developer

5-1-Red

Post by Haplo »

Claim type: Exterior
Claim ID: TR_5-1-Red (#168)
Faction: Redoran
Claimed by: Scamp
Files: TR_5-1-Red_Scamp_2.esp

---

Baan Malur. Redoran city, former Redoran capital of Morrowind. This city requires not only a good plan, but also the capabilities to carry out a concept in a way that makes this city truly magnificent.

Please download map 5 height map here and work from that:

http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=19347
Note that cleaning irrelevant cells may create land tears, so backup your work regularly and often.

This part of the VM region uses BM statics. Claimer must create a thorough city proposal upon claiming. See last post in thread for some info on Baan Malur.
Vernon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vernon »

Blacklight
Vernon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vernon »

Pulled some land.
welp
kingfish
Developer Emeritus

Post by kingfish »

that's exactly what i meant when i asked you to post progress report :D
have fun making it and make it a jewel of map5...
by posting useless junk on these forums you WON'T become a modder, only a spammer...
Vernon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vernon »

OK - here is the BS. I've been working on this claim a little, but I'm just not motivated to get fully stuck into it, because I am worried about the cell location. If we can resolve this, you will see more progress. Look at these images:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/Vernon_Gedanken/Claims/5-1/thisisbs.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/Vernon_Gedanken/Claims/5-1/totalbs.jpg

So how can I work on a claim that touches Vvardenfell? I have discussed this a little with kingfish already, but I am still uncomfortable with the idea of this. Consider that there is no sea between the two landmasses with the old Blacklight, but instead a piddly little creek with huge banks that rise on a sixty degree angle. Am I reading the map incorrectly? Or did Prom screw up? I know the old Blacklight fouls up the no touching of Vvardenfell rule, and I don't want this one to do the same. What to do, what to do...
welp
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Isn't it kinda necessary to touch VF on its borders, anyway? If only to seamlessly merge the landscape elevations.

AFAIK, the rule is to not touch on anything official, unless it's necessary -- like the Firewatch bridge.
kingfish
Developer Emeritus

Post by kingfish »

yes, a hard one. as i said before, we [you] will have to move the entire coast to west [1-3cells]. this is not the only place with such problem, i've had the same around stonefalls and probably the worst place is claim 5-10 - where tr coast should be according to map, there is soltsheim already.
it's not prom's mistake; he is not the one who created the map, only filled new info here and there. IIRC Draega made the map; and someone didn't check bethsoft land's coords correctly.
anyway, this is imo not the best place to discuss this - the whole core should know about it; tonight i'll make a map of real situation and will bring it to attention in the admin board...
by posting useless junk on these forums you WON'T become a modder, only a spammer...
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

The reason of the problem is that the map uses the hand-drawn map, which isn't totally accurate. (It's part of what makes it prettier, anyway.) A judicious use of the createmaps function would have caused less problems.
Vernon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vernon »

I would have brought it up in the admin forum but I was hoping that the 5-1 area was the only part affected. Oh well, we'll see what eventuates - I can't wait to get started on this.
welp
Vernon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vernon »

Started again and pulled land in correct location. Textured most of it.

This claim is now on hold so I can get involved with map 1 fixing.
welp
Pythearon

Black Light City Claim

Post by Pythearon »

Since Vernon is busy working on Map 1 I would like to take up the work on Black Light city.
kebra
Developer

Post by kebra »

This is the occasion, i claim it.
İ will need all info everybody have...
And no luck for TESIV, so i have the time.
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

Is this going to be Hlaalu, Redoran or Imperial?

(I sincerely hope it isn't Hlaalu. Yes Redoran may be too big but by making Blacklight, a former Redoran capital city no less, a Hlaalu city is not going to solve anything)

Oh, and good luck Kebra :] :) 8)
<insert witty signature here. i might spend time trying to come up with something, but its not like anybody reads these anyway>
kebra
Developer

Post by kebra »

İs the discussion always open?

İ don't now too much about the lore, and i like modding the tree.
There is no big Redoran harbor. But Hlaalu are easy to work like imp.
İt's possible to use Redoran in a little place, or like in Karthor Dale(the palace), or like buildings.
Anyway, it was one of the big city in Arena, i went to visit Necrom and Blacklight expecting from the names some obvious adventures.How it was ...pfff
A big Hlaalu can be impressive, and if we miss some...
İ need to now the size too...
About the limit with MW, it's maybee possible to avoid a bit to tuch the surface by connecting the maps with elements like rocks or cliffs surfaces. Just those meshes will be present in MW.

Let the discussion going on and waiting for official or Vernonal decision.
Feedbacks peoples.
kingfish
Developer Emeritus

Post by kingfish »

i've no idea how does it come that vernon no longer has this claim [ though i'm supposed to know, since map5 is my responsibility :] ].

anyway, of all people here, you kebra would be my first choice to do this, but you still have the 6-43 according to claim browser - only one claim at a time, remember...

let's just leave this matter open for now.

anyone knows more than i do?
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

um.... ask vernon? i dont see where he droped this
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
kebra
Developer

Post by kebra »

About the rules, maybee the modder statut autorizied us to be more easy, we are in trust, no?
Anyway, i always work two ex to change when i am bore. Two TR, it's better.
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

You know that you can drop claims without actually posting a post ?
[img]http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/3336/oblivionforum5tb.jpg[/img]

Your friendly slavedriver.
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

yes, but i liek seeing authorisation :P
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
kebra
Developer

Post by kebra »

Your are right LN, but... ask to Vernon.
İ will not drop the other one before finishing the temple and the plantation, it's technicaly impossible, and i want them on a map.
Vernon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vernon »

I dropped this after seeing some of kebra's recent work. If anyone deserves to have this claim, it's him, imo. So kf, it is your decision. :)

Also I think this should be a Velothi town, especially if we find Walt's custom Velothi meshes anytime soon.
welp
kebra
Developer

Post by kebra »

The best Chrismas gift.
BİG THANKS
What's Walt's custom velothi meshes?
kingfish
Developer Emeritus

Post by kingfish »

since noone seems to have objections and you are more than up to it: GRANTED

some time ago, when we talked about this city, it was decided to make it either velothi or hlaalu - i can't really say what is better, so maybe a new thread in private tavern could answer this...

happy modding

Recommeded OoT packages:
http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/files/oot/TR_OOT_Main.esm (1.3 MB)
http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/files/oot/TR_OOT_Main.tar.gz (58.2 MB)
http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/files/oot/TR_EoT.esm (112.6 KB)
Inferno_str1ke

Post by Inferno_str1ke »

kingfish wrote:it's not prom's mistake; he is not the one who created the map, only filled new info here and there. IIRC Draega made the map; and someone didn't check bethsoft land's coords correctly.
AFAIK it was Moorkh who drew the map, then Draega added the grid to it. Prom re-drew parts of map 5 when Bloodmoon came out, so if Solstheim is marked at all wrong the unfortunately it is his fault. If a cell in the claim is already made by Bethsoft, just leave it, make a mental note not to touch it, except for connecting the textures - we say not to alter Vvardenfell, but simply extending the sea texture is no harm and works better for our larger goal, which is immersiveness.
M1ke
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

I personally think touching vvardefell is no big issue here. Alot of people will disagree with me i'm sure, but I think you should make the sort of WG-rock-seabed theme extend uniformly between vvardenfell and the mainland shore (as opposed to leaving a highway of ugly blankness in the middle).
I drew up a map of possible island locations for the inner sea, it's in the modder tavern - though I don't think there are any in your claim.
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
kebra
Developer

Post by kebra »

İ haven’t start, waiting to now how to separate a map from the 5.
İf somebody can explain me, please do it, i start to be impatient to really begin.
The problem is to heradicate BL, i have supress the cells but MW refuse to open, and i am really a shit with technic.

Hear is the BL zone.

The blue line is the cost definited by KF.
Outside of the red ligne, the zone who must stay untouch because of MW.
İn dark, what remain from the claim of the Vernon map.
In yellow, 2 parts. The south one, shows the actual limits of BL, who has to be heradicated, and who could be added to the claim.
The northern, could also be added, just to make a clean complete area.

Second question, want you, KF, that i redo all the coast, and the areas who have to be changed in the surrounding?

The project i have in mind: Create a marsh around the southern part of the city.
İn the water an island, a bit like the exemple of Mont St
Michel, but not exactly.
Around the island, on the east a cliff with a district, on the west, habitations close to the water, on a flat part.
And the north open to the see.
Attachments
t_mw_map5_BL.jpg
t_mw_map5_BL.jpg (25.69 KiB) Viewed 18534 times
kingfish
Developer Emeritus

Post by kingfish »

1. forget the blue coast line - that was only a proposal [which didn't get accepted all that well] and it was long time ago, back then when we had a lot of time to fix it.
so, you can leave the coast where it is now, or change it as you wish, but in your claim only.

2. separating your cells:
a) open map5 - but NOT as an active file!
b) make a tiny small landscape change to all your cells (like raising a spot a little somewhere in a cell - one change/a cell)
c) select all statics in a cell and raise or move it all a bit. than just pres ctrl+z to undo
d) save and type a name and exit
e) load the file you just created. this should include all you cells - both land and statics

note: i'm not sure about vertex shading, maybe you will have to alter it a bit once per cell too...

EDIT: there is also another way: after you named all your cells something you can recognize, load map5 into "tesame", select everything but your cells and delete. it's not an option in this case though, because selecting all would be a pain in the ass - as i've said countless times, i'm willing to pay for "reverse selection" feature in tesame...
kebra
Developer

Post by kebra »

Thanks, it works, in fact i did the contrary with TESAME. İ will keep it for the limits.
İf i understand well, there is no more borders problem? Just a thing, a part of the old_BL is out of the claim, what do i do with it? (on x -11, and a little bit of x -10)

And some pictures, it's just a try for the southern suburb.
All with statics to move it easely!
Attachments
TR_BL_keb.zip
(231.86 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

kingfish wrote:as i've said countless times, i'm willing to pay for "reverse selection" feature in tesame...
Here's how you can save money, then:
1. Select the things you don't want to delete.
2. Items->Save Module. Give it some name, like "claim.esd".
3. Run the TESCS, load the appropriate .esm, and save without doing anything, as claim.esp or whatever name is appropriate.
4. Open claim.esp with TESAME, do Items->Insert Module, choose claim.esd, and save.
5. With the TESCS, load claim.esp as an active file.
kebra
Developer

Post by kebra »

Some pictures. Nothing definitive.
Thanks Gez, and KF.
Attachments
BL_4.jpg
(117.83 KiB) Downloaded 397 times
BL_3.jpg
(118.8 KiB) Downloaded 418 times
BL_1.jpg
(148.54 KiB) Downloaded 270 times
Lud
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lud »

*Wets self in wonder*
Kebra, that's incredible. I can't wait to do some interiors for this.(only a few hundred other claims that have to be done first;))
"It’s all been such a mistake. We were once little shrew-like animals. That would be so much better."
-Ophelia Benson
fanfas
Developer

Post by fanfas »

Agree, amazing architecture, you are becoming one hell of a exterior modder, i'm starting to getting very curiouse how our wonderful modders will surprise us in OB beautiful engine.
MAP 3 -> Interiors
Map 3 -> Interior Fixing
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

holly flying fuck.... damn, thats amazing! i cant wait to see this finished! its alredy 9.9999 x10^99999999 times better then rodans version...

and i as well will be looking forward to making some ints for this buitifull city. although they will be a pain to review....
In hoc signo vinces

-PoHa!
kebra
Developer

Post by kebra »

Some more.
Attachments
BL_3.JPG
(50.57 KiB) Downloaded 263 times
BL_2.JPG
(57.77 KiB) Downloaded 253 times
BL_1.JPG
(64.27 KiB) Downloaded 282 times
kingfish
Developer Emeritus

Post by kingfish »

now that's what i call great design, simply beautifull...

just one thing: be carefull when merging a lot of house meshes, those are quite high-poly and can cause trouble later [fps]. - prom used similar technique for narsis and it was a big fps killer. but as long as it's not used too much, it's ok...
fanfas
Developer

Post by fanfas »

One Word.... Gorgeous...
MAP 3 -> Interiors
Map 3 -> Interior Fixing
kebra
Developer

Post by kebra »

İ have seen that, but i don't have a lot of possibilities. At the moment i try all to have complete idea of the city, then i will choice.
Funny, but i just visit Narsis today. Man, what a city! İf i remember well, you are working on it too, KF?
Anyway, i have two problems: the limit of the Velothi set, and the space, because i want keeping a real water presence.
İn Narsis, the sharing Velothi-Hlaalu is just great. Now i am hesitating to introduce some Hlaalu, especially for the details.
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

WEOWEO WEEE!!!!

*cryes*
In hoc signo vinces

-PoHa!
kebra
Developer

Post by kebra »

İ have a better idea of the city now.

The center will be an acropolis(?), isolated from the down part.
Here is some pictures.
Attachments
BL_8.JPG
(73.87 KiB) Downloaded 610 times
BL_7.JPG
(57.7 KiB) Downloaded 472 times
Lud
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lud »

Looks great kebra. The only part I don't like is those ex_velothi_house pieces above the entrance to the acropolis bit-they look a bit too unstable to my eye.
"It’s all been such a mistake. We were once little shrew-like animals. That would be so much better."
-Ophelia Benson