Oblivion Discussion

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

knightmare

Post by knightmare »

can anyone tell me where i can find Janus Hassildor?

or more specifically how to get the quest Cure for Vampirism, because its at the state where people dont talk to me because i look like a vampire

the quest id in the editor is MS40, if that helps anyone
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

He is the count of Skingrad, to find him speak with Hal-Liurz.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
blackchipmunkjay

Jiub

Post by blackchipmunkjay »

I heard one conversation between NPC's about other provinces that talked about how "Things haven't been the same since St. Jiub drove the cliffracers from Vvardenfell." I thought that was a cool little easter egg.
Macar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Macar »

I've always wondered; is it pronounced "JEE-oob" or some other way?
The Old Ye Bard

Post by The Old Ye Bard »

i've always pronounced it G-ib
knightmare

Post by knightmare »

considering i need five empty soul gems to unvampirise myself, and ive learned to embrace it, i think i might just keep myself this way. i get a 15+ to about half of my skills, i get more charming, more powerful. im starting to love it

and since all i need to do to keep myself from taking sun damage and looking bad is feed, and im a thief and in the dark brotherhood, i think im going to stay this way

also how do i join the mages guild?
ENIGMA*
Developer

Post by ENIGMA* »

has anyone seen the Prima OB guide... OMG when they say "guide book" they aren't kidding.......

over 200 pages.... i got to like page 42 after an hour of reading..........

I had to put the book down and leave wal*mart..... I would have stayed for three days just reading....... and those crabs in the AOTS review wer Land Dreugs
[url=http://gothrak.deviantart.com/]Deviant I[/url]

[url=http://thedarkbrotherhood.com][img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a44/Mr_Sorry/Banners/TDB_Banner.jpg[/img][/url]
Anonymous

Re: Jiub

Post by Anonymous »

blackchipmunkjay wrote:I heard one conversation between NPC's about other provinces that talked about how "Things haven't been the same since St. Jiub drove the cliffracers from Vvardenfell." I thought that was a cool little easter egg.
Awesome. Simply awesome. I always had faith in you, Jiub!
ENIGMA*
Developer

Post by ENIGMA* »

The Elder Scrolls III 1/2: Jiub's Story
[url=http://gothrak.deviantart.com/]Deviant I[/url]

[url=http://thedarkbrotherhood.com][img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a44/Mr_Sorry/Banners/TDB_Banner.jpg[/img][/url]
Eyeball88
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eyeball88 »

I finished the main quest on Friday, and I have to say I was kind of disappointed overall. It had much higher quality storytelling, it was cinematic and it had some epic "wow.." moments, but overall the story lacked the depth of Morrowind's. There wasn't a subtle undertone of political scheming, and there weren't any huge moments of revelation like Morrowind's (Nerevarine incarnate in particular.) But it was so much more alive than Morrowind. I almost wish they had done Morrowind on this engine, with Radiant AI, full voice acting, etc.

I hope the story of Hammerfell has more depth to it, politically, religiously and whatever else we can fit into it.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

I must admit that I didn't think becoming the Nerevarine was really a revelation.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Eyeball88
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eyeball88 »

It just felt like the twists and various plots (the false gods, the reincarnation of Nerevar, etc) were so much more interesting than "I am a lacky of the Emperor's heir." Obviously every story can't have the player become a demi-god, but it just seemed so much shallower than Morrowind's story.
El Scumbago
Developer Emeritus

Post by El Scumbago »

Dunno, the game does feel VERY shallow. Especially when the player has only two weapon cetegories. Leaving aside the fact that most weapons are there for variety and there is no point to prefer a mace from an axe, plus the fact that spears and halberds are missing, it feels quite unbalanced with so many magic schools available. I am so damn dissapointed, and the only thing that will cheer me up is a good mod that takes care of this. The world's also small and there should be way more NPCs. Bandits and Vamps are now nameless. Ride as much as you want but no mounted attacks. No medium class armor. Voice acting is poor and there are so little topics to choose.

There are just so many things missing that I begin to feel TESIV is only a visual improvement of TESIII. Gives me the feeling that everything was done in a great haste and the aim was 12 y.o. kiddies that couldn't stand the complexity of Morrowind. I agree that many elements have been improved but why do I need to sit on a chair anyway? I'd rather feel the difference between an axe and a mace by having separate skills for each, and I gladly sacrifice the horse riding feature.
PaulShin

Post by PaulShin »

Heck when I read that I'm starting to worry about the money I'm going to spend on Oblivion once the package arrives. But tell me overally, is the game worth the money? Or it changed completely into 3D Diablo II?
And well it may lack the depth of Morrowind, but what are we for? ;)
Interiors done: 0/0/1/12 (C/S/R/A)
Interiors reviewed: 18 (Not a reviewer atm)
Current Project:
-Imperial Forts mod (nonTR)
Eyeball88
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eyeball88 »

Well, as I stated on a different forum, I enjoyed the hell out of my play through Oblivion, but I now see it as a good game with an amazing toolset, whereas I saw Morrowind as an amazing game with a good toolset (certain problems with the nif file system and animations made it too archaic for my liking.)

I don't regret the $80 I spent on the Collector's Edition.
CleverClothe
Developer

Post by CleverClothe »

I didn't feel that Morrowind had that much depth. Maybe in the beginning when there was a lot of talk about the political conflict. But then all the side quests became bland and the rumors soon repeated themselves. I hope that doesn't happen in Oblivion (I'm only level 4, rofl).
Anonymous

-BANNED FROM MAGES GUILD-I NEED HELP 20 DRAGON TONGUE...

Post by Anonymous »

i was recently banned from mages guild for accidently stealing something and i know i have to get 20 dragons tongue and 20 redwort seeds BUT i've gone to every herblore store and so far only gotton 5 of each....where could i find a place to pick them up ANYWHERE

-DRAGON TONGUE-REDWORT SEEDS-

ALSO-please do not just tell me black marsh i know thats what -EVERYONE SAYS- but when i get to the bordor line for black marsh it says "you cant go this way turn back"

any help would be very useful i really wanna get into the university. (btw lvl 21)
DoctorPhanan

Post by DoctorPhanan »

@uh uh uh- they probably mean Blackwood which is the region which Leyawiin is located in, just west of the black marsh.

@El Scumbago- You make some good points and I agree for the most part, except when you said the world was small. I think that the world is freaking huge (If you dont agree try disabling fast travel, theres a mod floating around out there)it takes me days to traverse the map, much longer than it ever did for Morrowind. If you were referring to the limited landscape (since morrowind was surrounded by randomized landscape) the invisible "walls" are a necessary evil for a centralized landmass as it wouldn't make any sense at all for there to be randomized terrain well into Elsweyr and Valenwood, seas in Skyrim, and mountains in Blackmarsh.

I feel that the UI is much better than Morrowind (Cast spells with a key rather than switching from your weapon makes spellswords and nightblades much more user friendly) but is just barely acceptable for the PC, I imagine that the UI was a middle-ground between the complexity of a keyboard and the simplicity of an Xbox 360 controller. Mages are at a serious disadvantage because of spell switching rather than pushing a number to cast.

Crime is handled very poorly, as resisting arrest puts guards on your tail permanently, even being completely out of sight and paying off your bounty with a theives guild doyen will not deter them. At one point I had a thief who resisted arrest and ran clear across the map for over a day, saw no guards or enemies in sight, and tried to rest, which I couldnt do because nemies were "nearby" note I was significantly faster than the guards, so I waited 15 minutes in real-time without seeing any trace of an enemy before reloading a previous save. Guards have other duties too and should be recalled once it's obvious they aren't going to catch a theif.

And don't get me started on the levelled enemies/loot where everyone and their brother has daedric/glass armor and weapons.

Despite these shortcomings, I feel that Oblivion has definitely improved my gameplay experience over Morrowind, and that if the mod community is as big as it was for Morrowind, Oblivion will be one of the most rewarding and extensive games of all time.
Never forget the Gamer's Roam
El Scumbago
Developer Emeritus

Post by El Scumbago »

Perhaps you're right about the size of the world, maybe it's the fast travel feature that makes it feel small. But then, the cities are exactly as the ones in morrowind. With even less shop categories. A couple of guilds, 4-5 houses and a 'castle'. That's just not an imperial capital. Plus the decreased number of skills whic I mostly complain about. Morden (I think) said quite correctly that MW was 'hardcore'. Excuse me, IS 'hardcore'. Oblivion is not. Unfortunately. Imo it's the best RPG out there, but the 1st position still belongs to MW.

El Scum, over and out.
knightmare

Post by knightmare »

i yield and now i have to pay it off
i did yield, and i never attacked the guard i just held up my shield, also i was running away expecting that i would be able to rest (this was the first time i had run away from the guards to find out that you cant do shit when you are being chased)
Last edited by knightmare on Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eyeball88
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eyeball88 »

Here's something that has worked for me.. if you pay off your bounty, hold the block button and talk to the guard that attacks you. This activates the "yield" and more often than not they seem to accept mine if I don't have a bounty.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

You could've just gone to the doyen, instead of running all the way just to rest. Y'know.

And the way the guards saw a lot annoyed me earlier, but now I feel like one of those guys from the Italian Job.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

(double post) So I finally did the Brush with Death quest..is it my graphics or does it look almost like you're drugged up? It should have had a strawberry field.

Sleeping on the Bloated Float is pretty fun too. You should try it. (Its also the coolest inn in the history of imaginary inns).
Xui'al
Developer Emeritus

Post by Xui'al »

It's not your graphics. You are in a painting. I think it is really well done, as it is a unique and interesting realm.
'What if man is not really a scoundrel - man in general, I mean, the whole race of mankind - then all the rest is prejudice, simply artificial terrors and there are no barriers and it's all as it should be.'
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Yes, it looks awesome.
Dr.zombie

Post by Dr.zombie »

Don´t know what people are moaning about this game is better then Morrowind in every way possible, instead of stupid invisible dice there is a great combat system, instead of a cliché "chosen one" story with a few twists there is a great cinematic epic story, instead of lame and unpolished factions there are great in-depth factions.....

this game is just better then MW in every way.

The only thing Morrowind has better is the number of NPC´s
Andres Indoril
Senior Developer

Post by Andres Indoril »

And that it had less bugs :P
[url=http://andresindoril.blogspot.com/][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyleft.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://www.youtube.com/user/AndresIndoril][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyright.jpg[/img][/url]
"You guys are no fun, I'll start my own TR with dead children and toy guars!" -Why
Nichevo
Developer

Post by Nichevo »

I regret to say this, but I were dissappointed with Oblivion. It feels crowded, shallow and unbalanced. There is a ruin or cave every nth feet and almost without exception in sight from whatever city. The quests are however much better along with the amazing view distance. I can't imagine what a game with Oblivion's engine and quality of quest combined with the setting of Morrowind would be... :tongue:
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Equally crowded, shallow, and unbalanced.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

Interesting story: I was in the waterfront district, and I talked to that first mate lady (near the pirate ship, not the inn.) and she said that she would attack anyone who even went near it. I did. She and her two generic pirate back ups did. I was inaccesible to them. They attacked the lady from the first thieves guild quest and killed (knocked out, she's vital) her. Then they went off and fought a guard, the two henchmen went down, then the guard. So after a two man killing spree she finally got to fight her intended target. Then I roasted her.

PS. the bloated float quest is fun, and has a great reward.

(Stats: Arena Grand Champion, 2000 or so gold, dwemer/dark brotherhood armor (depends on mood) looking for some money (any leads?)
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Heh, I went to the boat to see if she was serious. The bad news for her was that there was one of those fancy upper-level uniquely named guards in the white and gold armor walking by, and he killed them all as I ran away.

Another funny story, second theives guild quest, the two people who attack you if you suck (I did) chased after me into town. I got a bunch of guards around, and they started hacking away. Somehow the guards forgot who they were and started fighting eachother after the criminals were dead, and so there I was with 8 guard bodies to steal from. That's how I got my silver arrows, I had been looking for some.
Vegor
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vegor »

The setting of Morrowind is just one of the few things that were better. And I miss the grumpy Dunmer voices. The general elf voices just don't cut it. And everyone's too friendly here, I loved the unfriendly Dunmer attitude.

But after all Oblivion still kicks ass, and though I find it lacks some thing Morrowind had, it still hasn't bored me one second while I'm nearing 100 hours of play. Oh and, this may or may not be the thread for it, but playing it on an 7900GT just rocks.
Talin_Trollbane

Post by Talin_Trollbane »

Perhaps you're right about the size of the world, maybe it's the fast travel feature that makes it feel small. But then, the cities are exactly as the ones in morrowind. With even less shop categories. A couple of guilds, 4-5 houses and a 'castle'. That's just not an imperial capital.
yeah im with you on that, it feels more like a templecomplex then the Imperial Capitol, hopefully there will be a mod sometime in the future that adds a little more shacks and normal houses in and outside Cyrodiil (the city), and maybe switch places with the houses around the temple and the graveyard around the Imperial palace, if i where the (new) emperor, i wouldnt want a cementary around my palace, and why not make an overhaul on the Palace itself aswell, just a damn tower wont quite do for me.
I finished the main quest on Friday, and I have to say I was kind of disappointed overall. It had much higher quality storytelling, it was cinematic and it had some epic "wow.." moments, but overall the story lacked the depth of Morrowind's. There wasn't a subtle undertone of political scheming, and there weren't any huge moments of revelation like Morrowind's (Nerevarine incarnate in particular.) But it was so much more alive than Morrowind. I almost wish they had done Morrowind on this engine, with Radiant AI, full voice acting, etc.
i think it was good, great even, i kinda miss Martin actually. i never came around to finish Morrowinds MQ, though i was ready to invade Dagoth-Ur, but i went exploring and questing instead, until i uninstalled Morrowind for Oblivion (prob i will install it again when yer Morrowind rebuilt mod get released completely.)
The world's also small and there should be way more NPCs.
yep agree with that, Cyrodiil feels small, even if ya dont use FT, cuz ya can still see the Imperial tower everywhere ya go on the map, even from a hill in Anvil. I hope there will be a mod that increase the landmass of Cyrodiil (whole province), otherwise i suspect that Hammerfell and those other Province mods will have to be shrunk to fit with the borders with Cyrodiil, or it would look pretty weird.
And don't get me started on the levelled enemies/loot where everyone and their brother has daedric/glass armor and weapons.
download a leveling mod and this kind of probs will vanish.

oh, btw, how far are ya in both yer Morrowind Rebuilt mod and Hammerfell? like 97% for MR and 1% on HF?
"What language does the undead speak?"
"Eng-Lich"
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Talin_Trollbane wrote:yeah im with you on that, it feels more like a templecomplex then the Imperial Capitol, hopefully there will be a mod sometime in the future that adds a little more shacks and normal houses in and outside Cyrodiil (the city), and maybe switch places with the houses around the temple and the graveyard around the Imperial palace, if i where the (new) emperor, i wouldnt want a cementary around my palace, and why not make an overhaul on the Palace itself aswell, just a damn tower wont quite do for me.
First, I'm sure it wouldn't be at all disrespectful of your family line, country, religion, and every other thing that is important to you to dig up the bodies of some of the most important people in history and move them because you don't like having them outside of your palace.

Second, the Tower is an important part of.. everything. Every province has a tower trying to represent the Adamantine Tower, and to just tear it down would be disasterous. Something to do with the cosmos.

Honesty, the palace is the way it is because it needs to be that way. I think complaining about it is beyond ridiculous.
Eyeball88
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eyeball88 »

Dr.zombie wrote:Don´t know what people are moaning about this game is better then Morrowind in every way possible, instead of stupid invisible dice there is a great combat system, instead of a cliché "chosen one" story with a few twists there is a great cinematic epic story, instead of lame and unpolished factions there are great in-depth factions.....

this game is just better then MW in every way.

The only thing Morrowind has better is the number of NPC´s
I won't disagree that Oblivion's factions are so much better than Morrowind's ever were. The combat system blows Morrowind's out of the water. But that's really as far as I'll go. Oblivion's story was well told, but instead of "You are the chosen one" in a land of deep, well defined political houses, religious heretics and false gods drawing their power from ancient Dwemer devices. In Oblivion, it's "You are helping the chosen one, in a land with no real defined politics (the Elder Council has one member that I've ever seen, and he bows down instantly,) against an evil cult."

So even though the world breathes with so much more life than Morrowind's, I didn't find it as captivating. The books were all the same books I took the time to read in Morrowind. I'm not one of these people that will just pine for the old days; I grew up as a young, young teenager on Daggerfall, but loved Morrowind in every single way. I beat the main quest of Oblivion and I don't really have as much of an urge to play anymore. For me, something about it lacks the replayability. I just personally found Morrowind more interesting.
Sload wrote:Honesty, the palace is the way it is because it needs to be that way. I think complaining about it is beyond ridiculous.
I agree. I don't know if you read any of the loading screen messages, but the "White Gold Tower" was constructed by the Ayleid empire thousands of years before control of the province was taken from them. It's not a traditional castle with a throne, but that doesn't bother me. Also, the "size" thing bothered me at first; in Morrowind, they said something along the lines of imagining every NPC to be 100 NPCs, every house to be 10, etc. something technology couldn't handle. They scaled it all down to something playable.
Last edited by Eyeball88 on Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Talin_Trollbane

First, I'm sure it wouldn't be at all disrespectful of your family line, country, religion, and every other thing that is important to you to dig up the bodies of some of the most important people in history and move them because you don't like having them outside of your palace.
i dont think the NPC's would care very much, since its a game whose RAI isnt that advanced yet. otherwise we would have NPC's complaining everytime ya mod something in the cities. and i think it still dont fit with the pic with a cementary around the palace, fits more with a church or temple.
Second, the Tower is an important part of.. everything. Every province has a tower trying to represent the Adamantine Tower, and to just tear it down would be disasterous. Something to do with the cosmos.
i never said tear it down, i think its impressive, for a tower, but to make it more like a... palace ya 'know (i was thinking of abit like a Roman palace), i would do it myself if i could download that dang CS, but with a 56'k it wont happen in my lifetime.
Honesty, the palace is the way it is because it needs to be that way. I think complaining about it is beyond ridiculous
relax, i had to vent it somewhere :D still think its a marvelous game, even more with the groovy coin i got with it.
"Eng-Lich"
Talin_Trollbane

Oblivion, it's "You are helping the chosen one, in a land with no real defined politics (the Elder Council has one member that I've ever seen, and he bows down instantly,)
yeah, its kinda dead on that front, and i always wondered why the council isnt assembled and like stuck in deep discussions over choosing a emperor or oblivion invasions.
if not Ocato IS the Elder Council by himself.
"Eng-Lich"
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

You are nostalgic, Eyeball. Morrowind's politics were not that deep (though they were deeper in lore and in anything we would have made). You're also forgetting the 7 counts who have their own politics as well. I'm not quite sure, honestly, what makes Morrowind more replayable than Oblivion, but I wouldn't play through either of them twice.

Maybe you're the one who's changed.
Eyeball88
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eyeball88 »

Sload wrote:You are nostalgic, Eyeball. Maybe you're the one who's changed.
This is entirely possible. It seems to be very similar to Star Wars, for me; comparing Empire Strikes Back to The Phantom Menace. Oblivion is the better-made of the two games, with everything from bigger budget, better effects, more polish, etc, but somehow all of this just didn't mesh as well for me. I know I'm not alone in this comparison, but it could just be a large group of nostalgic nerds.

If I did play through Morrowind again, I'd probably find things weren't as fleshed out as I recall them, but you can't deny that the lore behind that game was so much more vivid. It touched on the dwemer, the chimer, the tribes, the houses, everything, and for those of us interested in the lore, there was another whole layer of the game. In Oblivion, I barely know anything about the Ayleid other than the fact that their tombs are filled with undead, and undead drop boring loot.

But I imagine I'm in the minority in my Oblivion opinions. It isn't that I'm unhappy with the game, just that I don't feel it lived up to all of it's potential. I think TR can change that.
Indoril

Post by Indoril »

I liked Morrowind's complexities better, but I do like Oblivion's gameplay and surroundings better. I like the cities in Morrowind more, but the wild of cyrodil is amazing. I do like the story consistancy they've maintained.

Story: Prisoner gets sprung on the emperor's orders, joins blades, and saves the day.
Stendarr is the God of Mercy and Justice. Therefore, he must also be the bearer of Duck Tape, for only Mercy and Justice can use Duck Tape for the Good of man.
(\__/)
(^_^)
(>o<)