living cities!

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Mindbasher

living cities!

Post by Mindbasher »

There are many plugins which give npc's a daily schedual, they are at home at night, walk around at day, but maybe you could make a better version of this:

-In the morning people go to the well for water (not all at the same time, the ai isn't that great, it would give a lot of problems).
-Guards patrol the area, but at 12 o' clock untill 2 o' clock pm they all go to the local fortress, moth, stronghold, whatever, to have lunch and chat with eachother.
-at night thieves walk around ready to pickpocket you (just like in Silgrad, where the beggars appear to be thieves and fokking robbed me!).
-guards sometimes fall asleep at night (knocked out on the ground or something... that animation) and the guard captains inspect the guards once a day, once a night and scream at sleeping guards, or guards that don't do their job right.
-in the evening people cook (well, they just walk to their kitchen and just stand there...).
-sometimes people go for a walk in the local forests, or hills, or whatever...
-skooma smugglers sneak past the guards at night and go to the local tavern.
-maybe you could make boats really sail and move, so the docks are really busy.

I know some of this stuff is really difficult, but it might be done... maybe... I guess... I hope...

Olle
[img]http://forums.slipknotcpd.com/uploads/avvysmll.JPG[/img]
Ever wondered what's it like to die? Take my life, you'll soon find out, I'm dyin' all the time, all the way, every f*ckin' day...
Kothloth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Kothloth »

If I'm not wrong, this will really mess up the FPS. This many scripts, running constantly and everywhere requires a lot of processing powers. It might not be possible to add out of technical problems.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Right, Koth, that's way too much script to be running in the background. I have a little one running for myself in Seyda Neen - just dresses the NPC's properly for the weather and turns lights on at night and off in the day, and I see a fair amount of slowdown at times, especially with atmospheric effects on and it's raining. We could do some, but we'd have to be selective.
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

There's already Morrowind comes alive around, and lots of other stuff like this, why can't we just contact the respective modders and ask them if we could use their scripts, instead of doing a lot of work others have already done? It's not like we have too much idle time on our hands - I mean, in TR terms, it seems most of us have a lot of time to dedicate to this project (like myself :)) ).
Elder Mod.

For now, I'm sleeping in my lightless city beneath the waves.

But someday ... I will be back.

Fthagn.
sterio

Post by sterio »

They would all be cool, but sacrificing FPS isn't worth it. The only script that I feel is really needed that makes it all seem a lot more realistic is the scripts that make fewer NPCs outdoors in the night... It has always annoyed me how everybody who ever is outdoors, is always outdoors :p
Kothloth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Kothloth »

Indeed. But if someone wants to make a lot of these scripts, then I suggest it's made a bolt-on, since it would feel too different from Vvardenfell otherwise.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

@Hermit: How lucky you are, friend, to have a great deal of free time to dedicate to TR. The only reason I've been able to do so much as of late is simply because it's Christmas break. My posting and my actual claim-work will both decline sharply when school starts again.

@sterio: I agree, it's not worth it if it bogs down systems. I think we should be satisfied with reaching the level of quality Bethesda brought us and only trying to surpass it where doing so would not have an adverse effect on gameplay.

@Kothloth: How exactly would this thing be implemented anyways? A global script of some kind, or something added to the script of every NPC affected? I've never played one of the mods in question ('cept Silgrad Tower, and not very extensively) and I have no idea how they did it. I think that would be another important part of deciding whether it should be bolt-on or not.

And, of course, anything that seems out of place in the world that seems to revolve around Vvardenfell should be automatically downgraded (?) to bolt-on. So, could we apply this to Vvardenfell as well?
Cep

Post by Cep »

As far as I remember the original FPS is set to 240 which is far too high and in fact doesnt make any difference except ake your processor work harder. I edited mine to 80 and the game runs smoothly on that with full atmostpherics in the rain and! real time shadows.

If you do this it may be possible to run the script ideas above without taxing too much processing power.
Kothloth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Kothloth »

I think one will have to place each script by hand for this to work, which will be quite a job. Could be worth it though.

Btw, a bolt-on such as this would most likely be as popular as the mainfile itself, so I don't think it would be a waste of work to do this. But, a way will have to be developed to it to work with FPS ;)
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

Here's a Tutorial on this; I found it while looting EuroRPG's Morrowind stuff. I hope this will help you guys; I'm not much of a scripter, but I'd sure love to see this in TR - even as a bolt-on.
Elder Mod.

Fthagn.
Private_Svejk

Post by Private_Svejk »

Why should we be changing the way things are in the rest of Tamriel when they will stay the same in Vvardenfell? If I remember correctly, we won't be allowed to change the original game any. That means we can't make them do anything different. Therefore, the areas we do use this with will seem odd. Also, wouldn't we have to add every NPC in the game to the script, and give them all different places to go? Finnally, keep in mind that the scripts arn't working while you are outside of the cell, so if they are supposed to be going inside, and you are just entering town, they will stand outside until you enter their cell, then everyone will run for their respective homes... and that's even stranger behavior than staying outside all night.
Try to find GopherBuddy and Associates How To documents on the web! They are good reading and are sure to shock and offend you!
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

eberKain said somewhere he needs only one script for his scedules. And of course we'll make a bolt-on (or just use MWca or something similar) that changes these things in Vvardenfell as well. Like we will do with ASE, where we will also strongly recommend the original ASE and Wilderness sounds. It might also be possible to do the TR mod as a bolt-on, entirely. And being a bolt-on doesn't mean we will hide it somewhere; on the countrary, the way bolt-ons will be used in TR - at least as far as I understand it - will be to make TR-basic (the .esm) customizable to anyone who downloads it.
Elder Mod.

Fthagn.
Arcadea
Developer Emeritus

Post by Arcadea »

make it a bolt on.
I said I would return and I may have been right. The past must stay in the past as agreed. If the core needs me or has a job for me just ask for now I watch and write.

Former Moderator of the Core.
Was once called the Sotha Sil of the core.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

I took a look at eberKain's scheduler - an excellent piece of work. I haven't tried it in-game yet, but if it doesn't slow things down too much, I'd recommend the management consider it for inclusion. It'd make a much more realistic game.
Mindbasher

Post by Mindbasher »

Originally posted by Kothloth
If I'm not wrong, this will really mess up the FPS. This many scripts, running constantly and everywhere requires a lot of processing powers. It might not be possible to add out of technical problems.
OH...

That's why my fps is screwed up...

Olle
[img]http://forums.slipknotcpd.com/uploads/avvysmll.JPG[/img]
Ever wondered what's it like to die? Take my life, you'll soon find out, I'm dyin' all the time, all the way, every f*ckin' day...
Cep

Post by Cep »

Go into your morrowind.ini file and set the Max FPS to 80. It improved my game.
blindhamster

Post by blindhamster »

where can i get a scheduler? I have been looking for a while and have wanted to try one out since right after i got morrowind
Let the snows fall deep, let the raindrive down, and the wind buffet my cloak. I care not, for I've a road worth walking!

-Drizzt Do'Urden
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

If you have a little ability at scripting and can follow directions, give eberKain's scheduler a try. Take a village like Hla Oad and see what you can do. eberKain has a little note requesting that you let him know what town you're working on, so it looks like he's planning on making this effective throughout Morrowind. Maybe we can eventually do the same for all of Tamriel.
blindhamster

Post by blindhamster »

but wheres it from?
Let the snows fall deep, let the raindrive down, and the wind buffet my cloak. I care not, for I've a road worth walking!

-Drizzt Do'Urden
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Just click on the download link in Hermit's post above.
blindhamster

Post by blindhamster »

lol i feel stupid

-Drizzt Do'Urden
Garret Strife

Post by Garret Strife »

one thing you guys should do for the guards is when your in a big industrial city with a lot of guards and if you are caught sneaking around the city a lot you should be kicked out of the city for suspicious behaviour i know its possible because the ME mod team is doing it