What's in a name?

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Lud
Developer Emeritus

What's in a name?

Post by Lud »

I've come to realise that there's an awful lot of stuff that needs to be named in TR right now.
Sooooo, let's start thinking up names!
These things need new names or just better names:

The name for the Map1 MQ.(Read the plot [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=18044]here[/url] ("Rituals and Intrigue" is really just a placeholder)

A proper name for the ritual in the aforementioned quest.(Something in dunmeri maybe?)

The cave settlement in map2 that Andres made is unnamed

Neommaeor. (I think the name is crap, who's with me? It's definitely not too late to change it)

The small Grazelands region just west of Dun Akafell in Map2
(You can't call plains part of the Boethian Mountains)

The island in 2-39 on map2. It'll need to have it's own region because it's the only AI place on the map. Hence, it needs a name.
"It’s all been such a mistake. We were once little shrew-like animals. That would be so much better."
-Ophelia Benson
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

Neommaeor. (I think the name is crap, who's with me? It's definitely not too late to change it)
]

I'm glad that i'm not alone on this one. Its bugged me for years every time I've read it :P The name does not fit into the Dunmer or Imperial language. In fact, I've always thought it sounded like something from Lord of the Rings.
Morgoth Bauglir
Developer

Post by Morgoth Bauglir »

Noirgrim: Neommaeor sounds a bit like Númenor(it's from LOTR: an island between Middle-earth and Aman).

Anyway it's nearly impossible to say three a-e-i-u-o's after each other. So removing one would be quite enough perhaps, some suggestions:

-Neomaero (said as Ne(the 'e' as the 'a' in ate)-o-m-ai-ro)
-Naemaron (said as Nai-maron.)

can't think of any others...
Veni, bibi, vomui
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

How about something else altogether? (BTW: "AEO" is technically a two-letter pronunciation since the AE would be pronounced together)

I'm personally fond of the highly imaginitive Necrom, Foreign Quarter.
<insert witty signature here. i might spend time trying to come up with something, but its not like anybody reads these anyway>
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

I like that idea Nomadic, except it seems a bit too far away (I really wished it were closer to Necrom). But that does describe its function very well.

Lud: Who are the inhabitants of the cave settlement (race), and what are it's map coordinates? Does it have any industry/purpose?

-Starcrunch
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

Perhaps some kind of fast travel connection would solve this problem (after all Dunmers like to keep Outlanders as far from Necrom as possible)
- Cave settlement: Buranmu
- Plains: Rugged lands
Velothian steppes
THEO
theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

You can also call it Necrommor or something with Necrom in its name. Then it belongs to Necrom but still is a different place.
Lud
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lud »

I like "Necrom, foreign quarter" we can alsways trengthen the connection by adding gondoliers or such to the main city.

I also think that Buranmu is quite nice. How do you feel about that one, Andres? (You did make the place)
This cave settlement is a poor place owned by House Indoril, a few cells east of Dragon Glade. They farm bloat there.

Steppes would be good to put into the name. How about "Akafell steppes"?

How about "Profane Binding" for the ritual. Or better yet, what's the dunmeri for that? COuld somebody post up the dunmeri translator by any chance?

Also, didn't we agree long ago that dunmer settlements should have dunmer names? Why then Dragon Glade? I think it was agreed in its thread to change it to Akamora, back in the way-back-when.
"It’s all been such a mistake. We were once little shrew-like animals. That would be so much better."
-Ophelia Benson
theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

Akamora is a wonderful name and it fits the town.
I like Akafell steppes as well. I believe the name of the Gorne island first was Solis island or something (I saw that on a map). You can name the island in map2 Solis Island then.
Macar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Macar »

I like "Necrom, foreign quarter" we can alsways trengthen the connection by adding gondoliers or such to the main city.
The physical connection to necrom? or the conceptual connection to Vivec? :)

I like the idea that the N'wah are kept so far away. It makes a good dailogue topic. "They call this the foriegn quarter of Necrom but it's so far away that calling it part of necrom is a joke. What are those silly darkelves affraid of, that we are going to steal thier corpses?"
NEW MEMBERS: I'm not with TR anymore, so please stop PMing me. Just post your sample work in the showcase.
[url=http://www.realmsofrenth.com][img]http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/3020/banner3er0.jpg[/img][/url]
Andres Indoril
Senior Developer

Post by Andres Indoril »

Ludovic wrote:I also think that Buranmu is quite nice. How do you feel about that one, Andres? (You did make the place)
Fine by me.
[url=http://andresindoril.blogspot.com/][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyleft.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://www.youtube.com/user/AndresIndoril][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyright.jpg[/img][/url]
"You guys are no fun, I'll start my own TR with dead children and toy guars!" -Why
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

If you don't mind 'Buran' means 'Redneck' in Czech :)
THEO
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Macar wrote:"What are those silly darkelves affraid of, that we are going to steal their corpses?"
I can see a "Sharn gra-Muzgob"-type character saying that. :D
Theo wrote:If you don't mind 'Buran' means 'Redneck' in Czech :)
You know, I obtained from Lady N that she would never successfully complete the "Collector" quest from Oblivion by telling her that "Culotte" -- one of the Ayleid ruins where the strange statues are found -- has a name that means "panties" in French.
Andres Indoril
Senior Developer

Post by Andres Indoril »

Ludovic wrote:Also, didn't we agree long ago that dunmer settlements should have dunmer names? Why then Dragon Glade? I think it was agreed in its thread to change it to Akamora, back in the way-back-when.
So is that a sure thing it being named Akamora? I need to know for the alchemists bookey of i2-337. :)
[url=http://andresindoril.blogspot.com/][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyleft.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://www.youtube.com/user/AndresIndoril][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyright.jpg[/img][/url]
"You guys are no fun, I'll start my own TR with dead children and toy guars!" -Why
Harke the Apostle
Developer

Post by Harke the Apostle »

What's on and in the island at 2-39? Should it have a Dunmer name, or will English suffice?

BTW wasn't Buran the 1988 Russian space shuttle that was destroyed after the hanger collapsed (due to poor maintenance) in 2002?
Harke the Apostle
Developer

<Bump>

For the island:

Balaka
Gah-Akafell
Ald Sidon
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Harke the Apostle wrote:BTW wasn't Buran the 1988 Russian space shuttle that was destroyed after the hanger collapsed (due to poor maintenance) in 2002?
Yep. Means "Energy" in Russian.
Harke the Apostle
Developer

don't you just love wikipedia....(I wasn't even sure the thing was called Buran)

Ald Buran, anyone?
Veet
Developer Emeritus

Post by Veet »

Thats because its misspelled (probably my fault I suck at spelling). I had the claim years and years ago, actualy inherited it from an even older member who had ploped a hlaalu vilage there and called it "Seaside Village". after changing it to velothi architecture I was trying to figure out what to name it and I think it was Sniper (not entirely sure) who suggested we just translate the name it already had. The closest translation I could find was Niummaor which is a combination of the Chimiri words for town and sea (just looked that up at the imperial library so its spelled right). Obviously somewhere the spelling to messed up. So yes we did just pull that name out our asses, but to be fair the name Necrom technicaly has a Latin base and not Dunmer.
"Everyone is in favor of free speech. Hardly a day passes without its being extolled, but some people's idea of it is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone else says anything back, that is an outrage."
-- Winston Churchill
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Actually, it's maor- and -nium, so it would be Maornium rather than Niummaor. Furthermore, "maor" means "tropical" rather than sea side.

We've kinda assumed "sea" was "amur", so it could be Amurnium. But I'm not really fond of the -ium ending anyway. I prefer -ruhn, for "home", so it could be Amurruhn. Or something else.

There's always "oad", which means "coastal village" or "port", as seen in Hla Oad ("little port"). Since Necrom is the City of the Dead (Cahrd), then "Neommaeor" could be Cahrdoad. I don't know.

At least, it's good to know where the name came from.
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

There is a new dwemer centurion that needs a name. It is currently called "flying nameless thing" and exists in some dwemer leveled lists, though the only place I have personally encountered it is actually beyond the walls of the dwemer ruin Manizarche (Hall of Dumac).
Imagine my insult to find that "Raw Glass has no effect on you." I became very huffy at the implication that my intelligence could not be lowered further. Then again, I did just eat a piece of glass.
Hemitheon
Reviewer

Post by Hemitheon »

Why not use some of the city names in Arthomedeus' map of Tamriel? Maybe Im wrong but I don't remember a city named Praloris, or Veloth's Haven, and there's another one but I can't remember in Map 1.
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

http://til.gamingsource.net/maps/minibigmaproadslore31gv.jpg ?

"Llolanthis Height" (that name is a typo, should be "Llothanis Height") is Ranyon-ruhn.
"Velothi's Haven" is Gah Ouadaruhn
"Praloris" is Darconis
"Greenheight" is Alt'Bosara
And so on.

If you compare with [url=http://til.gamingsource.net/maps/arena_morrowind.shtml]the Arena map[/url] and the [url=http://til.gamingsource.net/maps/concept_morrowind.jpg]conceptual Morrowind map[/url], you'll see a few discrepancies with Art's and TR's maps.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

Karthor Dale and Verarchen Hall, neither of these names are particularly dunmeri, perhaps they should be renamed as well.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

After reading through the archived thread on the subject, I recommend "Blast Drone" for the dwemer construct currently known as the "flying unnamed thing"
Imagine my insult to find that "Raw Glass has no effect on you." I became very huffy at the implication that my intelligence could not be lowered further. Then again, I did just eat a piece of glass.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

groza528 wrote:After reading through the archived thread on the subject, I recommend "Blast Drone" for the dwemer construct currently known as the "flying unnamed thing"
Have never seen one of these things in action (looked at them in the CS, though) but do they explode or something? Otherwise, Blast Drone doesn't make too much sense.

Perhaps 'Scout Centurion'?
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

They are designed to carry some sort of explosive to a pile of rocks and drop it, making for easier digging. The way I understand it they're not hostile, but they are a bit oversensitive due to their age and sometimes blow up near wayward adventurers. One of the comments in the previous thread, with which I agree, is that 'centurion' is inappropriate because it implies a military function, while the unnamed flying thing is more of a mining tool.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Ah, right. In that case, I like Blast Drone.

Is that 'exploding' scripted in game? That'd be cool.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Bloodthirsty Crustacean wrote:Is that 'exploding' scripted in game? That'd be cool.
It will be, eventually.
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

Thrignar Fraxix wrote:Karthor Dale and Verarchen Hall, neither of these names are particularly dunmeri, perhaps they should be renamed as well.
On Karthor Dale:
Karthor is good enough. The Dunmeri word TR made up for Dale is quite pathetically convaluted, and alternative words that could be used for Dale were systematically rejected in the way back when. IIRC it was talk about Silnim Dale.

On Verarchen Hall:
The name is wrong anyway - it should be properly Veranis Hall. When the name issue of this town came up last, it was decided that Veranis was a stupid name and Verarchen sounded better. IIRC even Silgrad Tower like Verarchen. It could be renamed Verarchen Ruhn to make it more Dunmeri if we take Veranis to by the Cyrodillicisation (made up word) of Verarchen.
<insert witty signature here. i might spend time trying to come up with something, but its not like anybody reads these anyway>
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Verarchen Ruhn is the worst I've heard yet. Couldn't we just call it 'Veranis'? That sounds best to me.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Harke the Apostle
Developer

Haplo wrote:Verarchen Ruhn is the worst I've heard yet. Couldn't we just call it 'Veranis'? That sounds best to me.
I humbly agree with Haplo (for once). It sounds like the Dutch word for 'to despise' 'verachten', and like the German word for 'to screw over' 'verarschen', but worse. Veranis on the other hand sounds like the Spanish 'verano', 'summer'.[/uselessinfo]
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

never realy minded the name Verarchen Hall, partialy because i pronouce it as "verachen hall". adding ruhn to stuff to make it dunmeri is stupid because there are many more dunmeri words wich would sound better (and because we have ruhn too many times alredy). i dont mind veranis either though. silnim dale is good too, ive heard both used alredy.
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
xeth-ban
Developer

Post by xeth-ban »

Perhaps changing the name of the Explodo from "Flying Nameless Thing" to Explodo would be a good idea?
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

Perhaps coming up with a better name than Explodo is an even better idea :] Too bad nobody has yet been able to do so.

I personally prefer Veranis but at the time only one other person did IIRC.
Macar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Macar »

I vote for Veranis
NEW MEMBERS: I'm not with TR anymore, so please stop PMing me. Just post your sample work in the showcase.
[url=http://www.realmsofrenth.com][img]http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/3020/banner3er0.jpg[/img][/url]
xeth-ban
Developer

Post by xeth-ban »

What about adding something cool infront of it? Like "Kogo Veranis"?
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

"Kogo" means "unbreakable". We also don't want to change the name of cities beyond recognition.
xeth-ban
Developer

Post by xeth-ban »

Yes, i know. Im well versed in whats known of the dunmeri language thank you :)

I don't know anything about the place you are talking about i just came in and gave my opinion.

And besides, Veranis is a bit plain and boring in my opinion. But then again most places don't usualy have an interesting name, well except in Morrowind where we have places called Mushroom Forest, Stone Forest, Elder Home and so on. The dunmer sure like their "forests" >_>
CleverClothe
Developer

Post by CleverClothe »

What about dropping "Hall" and just leaving "Verarchen"? I like Verarchen better than Veranis anyway.
_________ E I
Claimed:.0 0
Review:...0 0
Finished:.2 5