Middle class base 6 [Working]

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Zephyr
Developer Emeritus

Middle class base 6 [Working]

Post by Zephyr »

I started working on this,

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/PoHaEiFor/ConceptArt/Model%20Concepts/GoldmoorMC6.jpg

but I really don't understand the concept fully. It looks like shown in the attachment, but I think that this is not how the actual concept looks like. The screenshot also shows the number of polygons at the moment. Although I've read the thread about polycounts, I'm not sure if I'm going in a good direction with this since it's already past 10k and just the basic shape is there with no detailing to speak of (plus, the other side of the mesh is still mostly empty).

Advice?

ps. I'm not really claiming this because I may not have time to finish it. I will claim it (in addition to some other pieces) if I have enough time to work on it.
Attachments
mc6.jpg
Zephyr
Developer Emeritus

Post by Zephyr »

No replies? Blah! I just want to know if it's going in the right direction or not. :v

Anyway, this is what I've got now. It still has 10k triangles after optimizing some parts of the model. Is it anywhere close to how you want the models to be?
Attachments
mc6_2.jpg
mc6_1.jpg
Noirgrim
Developer Emeritus

Post by Noirgrim »

It looks damned good zeph, and just like the concept too. Keep up the great work!
"Noirgrim, (who is accused of working too hard) is the worst kind of modder this project can get." -Ender
Orix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Orix »

Looks like a good start. I dont know about any one else, but I imagined the details to be more pronounced, the arches, windows and so forth to have more of an indent and depth to them, just so the building doesn't look as block-like, and to have more character to 'em. Just an idea...
P.S. Please don't make handbags, wallets, belts or shoes out of Orix [img]http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/3826/orixmj4.png[/img]
Noirgrim
Developer Emeritus

Post by Noirgrim »

I think it's mother effing perfect.
"Noirgrim, (who is accused of working too hard) is the worst kind of modder this project can get." -Ender
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

i think you can spare a few more polies, but otherwise its damn good ;) didnt know you were a modeler zeph
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

It looks nice, and textures will bring a lot of the finer details. If more then one person is going to model the set, it'll have to be closely coordinated, because you'll end up with ledges, arches, windows, ect that are all different sizes.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

You might want to expand it on the right or left side by 1 or 2 squares, so that it isn't 3x3. Then you could do a thing where the dome part is open on both floors and has a stairway going up the edge, and the area on the side has a bedroom on the second floor.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Macar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Macar »

Noirgrim wrote:I think it's mother effing perfect.
I concur. Great job, and I think that you captured the art perfectly- I didnt realise the protruding parts were balconies.
NEW MEMBERS: I'm not with TR anymore, so please stop PMing me. Just post your sample work in the showcase.
[url=http://www.realmsofrenth.com][img]http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/3020/banner3er0.jpg[/img][/url]
The_Warder
Developer

Post by The_Warder »

very nice job man. it looks awesome!
"quiet Professionals"= "walk softly but carries a big stick"
http://www.elysiun.com/forum/
suk it up you be ight!!
Zephyr
Developer Emeritus

Post by Zephyr »

The texture work is going pretty well I think. I've used textures found on the thread in this forum as well as some from Mayang and put them together in Photoshop. UVW unwrapping is not yet finished. God, it's boring work and so frustrating. Windows & doors are yet to be made in that area, I think I can do them tomorrow.
Attachments
mc6_3.jpg
mc6_2.jpg
PoHa!
Developer Emeritus

Post by PoHa! »

You did that in 2 hours? Looks great so far, keep it up! :D
"When you find out someone's sleeping with your wife, you want to kill the f***er"
~Prof. Gardner

"You wiki'd my girlfriend?"
~Dexter
Orix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Orix »

Lady Nerevar wrote:i think you can spare a few more polies
I have to agree with LN, the dome and curved bits look a bit too jaggy.

I also think it's still a bit bland, even with textures applied.

It looks like a block with bits added on, when I saw [url=http://img260.imageshack.us/my.php?image=goldmoormc4fullam5.jpg]this concept[/url] by Scumbago, I definately envisioned architecture that's a little bit more distinctive.

*shrug*
P.S. Please don't make handbags, wallets, belts or shoes out of Orix [img]http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/3826/orixmj4.png[/img]
Macar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Macar »

Well, the lattice on the balocony would be a nice touch. And it will look a lot less plain with nice windows and doors on it.

I think this represents one of the more plain buildings. I agree that the dome could have more pollies- Oblivion meshes are astronimical anyway, so go ahead.
NEW MEMBERS: I'm not with TR anymore, so please stop PMing me. Just post your sample work in the showcase.
[url=http://www.realmsofrenth.com][img]http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/3020/banner3er0.jpg[/img][/url]
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I think it's marvelous, Zeph
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Noirgrim
Developer Emeritus

Post by Noirgrim »

All the rooves in OB are low poly. This is probably because you never actually see the roof of most if not all buildings up close. The dome will probably work.
Fairwater
Developer Emeritus

Post by Fairwater »

Morden wrote:It looks nice, and textures will bring a lot of the finer details. If more then one person is going to model the set, it'll have to be closely coordinated, because you'll end up with ledges, arches, windows, ect that are all different sizes.
I am in strong agreeance (is that even a word?) with this, if you want to just upload the arches columns and windows after that would be great as then other modelers could use them to help fill out the set!

ps. it looks astoundingly great
El Scumbago
Developer Emeritus

Post by El Scumbago »

Zephyr, I bow, but you made a small mistake. There are no open spaces in the second floor, that's the reason I colored the concepts. Also, the back side was meant to be much more simplistic, which is the reason I made a back view and included it in the Reference Pic. Finally, the curvings you made at the back are exclusively for the LC buildings. The model is astonishing as it is, but -and this is for all modellers- pay more attention to the concepts, always check the Reference Pic and the Readme, or ask the maker for info.

Now, you may want to take a look at the FCG, lots of new stuff which I hope will help. *Bows once again before Zeph's model*
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

The texture is a little bit dark, I think, but its great. My only other concern is that maybe a little more variety could be added to it.

Also, can a stairwell fit inside one of the flanking parts? I think that would be the most logical use for them.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
El Scumbago
Developer Emeritus

Post by El Scumbago »

I've already formed the interiors in my mind. Considering Anvil, there should be plenty of space for everything in these buildings.
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

scumy, i think i like it more with the balconies. kinda breaks off the squareness and makes it more interesting ;)
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
fanfas
Developer

Post by fanfas »

Agree with LN, and being this middle class the balconies can be used to put some nice plants, and other fancy details.
MAP 3 -> Interiors
Map 3 -> Interior Fixing
Zephyr
Developer Emeritus

Post by Zephyr »

Still not finished, just spent most of my time today uvw unwrapping and texturing. I don't think that the window textures are very good, but I suppose they're going to use some reflection maps anyway? In either case, it was more important that I finally finished the uv unwrapping for the current model.

I also smoothed the dome, it definitely looks better now. I made a door as well, which took seriously long time. It's a door, it should be really simple to make! :v

I agree that it still looks a bit blocky, so I'll probably try to build a shelter piece or something to it. But this will happen sometime next week, I don't think I have a lot of time during the weekend.

I will try to upload the meshes for Fairwater (and possibly other people) tomorrow if I have time.
Attachments
mc6_5.jpg
mc6_4.jpg
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

I would love to see this ingame
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
El Scumbago
Developer Emeritus

Post by El Scumbago »

It's coming along very nice, so here are my personal suggestions:

1. There are two more frames all around the building, one is below the thick frame that divides the two floors and one is above it. Note that Bethesda's meshes are anything but complicated. All they have is many many frames.
2. Put bars to the open area/balcony. Whether you use the concept's ones or not, check a building concept with a balcony to see the general style.
3. Add detail in the back as you see it in the Reference Pic (I'm not asking you to remove the windows).
4. About the textures, the bricks need to be way smaller (but since that's just an opinion, keep a copy of the current texture). I love the old look, the worn out walls and columns, it's excellent.
5. Any chance of adding some patterns like you did to the dome? I have some spots in mind, but can't upload anything atm.
Macar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Macar »

If you do add more patterns, would you consider using this style?

http://img404.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitled1wq2.jpg
PoHa!
Developer Emeritus

Post by PoHa! »

I think its coming along nicely. :)

About the textures, nothing has been finalized about which textures will be used. I do think, however, that the look that you have going here is really really nice, though. But please, just to be certain you know, these textures should be considered experimental (but I must reiterate, that I like the direction of the experimentation).
"When you find out someone's sleeping with your wife, you want to kill the f***er"
~Prof. Gardner

"You wiki'd my girlfriend?"
~Dexter
El Scumbago
Developer Emeritus

Post by El Scumbago »

Indeed, I believe the textures are on the right direction. Actually Macar, I wouldn't want these for Rihad as much as for Taneth. In my mind, Rihad is curvy and smooth in its shape as the body of an oriental dancer. Taneth on the other hand is strong and square, like the faith of a Ra'Gada warrior. I don't know what triggers those connections in me, but it has to do with the names and placement of the cities I think. And the daisy I smoked earlier, perhaps :P