Necrom - Models and Textures for OoT

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

awesome, thanks mang :)
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

I checked you thing in game and found a slight problem. The two pieces you included are only 231 units long. (normal value is 256)

Beside this and although the texture seems a little bright, this looks great.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Veet
Developer Emeritus

Post by Veet »

I checked you thing in game and found a slight problem. The two pieces you included are only 231 units long. (normal value is 256)
Easy fix, already done in fact.
Beside this and although the texture seems a little bright, this looks great.
Texture could be toned down a bit but it is the same texture used in the building exteriors. Under lighting effects it shouldn't be too bright for an interior. If worse comes to worse toning the texture could be done after the fact quite easily.
"Everyone is in favor of free speech. Hardly a day passes without its being extolled, but some people's idea of it is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone else says anything back, that is an outrage."
-- Winston Churchill
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Vertex shading can also be used.
Veet
Developer Emeritus

Post by Veet »

Check out the screenshot. I think the textures look fine under common interior lighting.

As for vertex shading. Not many of the original bethsoft interiors were vertex shaded, including hlaalu and vivec. It tends to only work well with higher poly models or if you are trying to make the illusion of shadows.

I've got a set of pieces here that I'm hoping are mod ready, there is a slew of them because I was trying to think of every possible junction that might be needed. If we end up not using some we can kick them out of the release but keep them for some sort of modders resource. Despite the number of pieces it is possible I forgot a type of junction we may need so keep me posted if something comes up.

If these work I'll be working on accessories for the set, rails ramps stairs standalone columns and such. I'll need suggestions for these too, just so I don't forget anything.
Attachments
ScreenShot 2.jpg
Untitled Interior Set.zip
(1.56 MiB) Downloaded 72 times
"Everyone is in favor of free speech. Hardly a day passes without its being extolled, but some people's idea of it is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone else says anything back, that is an outrage."
-- Winston Churchill
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

Excellent. Would you mind if i started playing with some textures for your interior set? I can't commit to anything because of my schedule, but i'd love to try spicing it up by working off your original files.
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

Veet,
Very nice work, it's really going to make Necrom look unique :P . Got a big question to ask though, any chances of looking over the Necrom Causeway mesh? Could it be made narrower and with less high walls (but the same length of support column)?

-Starcrunch
Veet
Developer Emeritus

Post by Veet »

Excellent. Would you mind if i started playing with some textures for your interior set? I can't commit to anything because of my schedule, but i'd love to try spicing it up by working off your original files.
I don't see any reason not to. The better they can look the better things will be overall.
Very nice work, it's really going to make Necrom look unique Razz . Got a big question to ask though, any chances of looking over the Necrom Causeway mesh? Could it be made narrower and with less high walls (but the same length of support column)?
Well I could do some new meshes. I don't actualy have the old Max files anymore. Do you have measurements for how long and tall they would need to be? I could knock something together that could be a replace if I had thoes.
-- Winston Churchill
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Veet wrote:If these work I'll be working on accessories for the set, rails ramps stairs standalone columns and such. I'll need suggestions for these too, just so I don't forget anything.
Maybe an equivalent of the Velothilarge set?

Separate floor, ceiling, and wall parts.
Domed roof.
Arches.
Bridges, railing, stairs/ramps.
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

I actually reckon unique pieces for the inside of tombs and mausoleums would be better and more useful than a v-large equivalent.

That and the tower meshes redone, inside and out. But that's less important.

EDIT: BTW, those are some nice pieces :]
<insert witty signature here. i might spend time trying to come up with something, but its not like anybody reads these anyway>
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

I'm particularly interested in rebuilding the tx_n_base_02 texture. It doesn't match the rest of the set in terms of color, shading, and brightness. It will be nice to have our own texture as well, so that it doesn't look identical to the velothi set, and matches up with what we have.
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

Veet wrote: Well I could do some new meshes. I don't actualy have the old Max files anymore. Do you have measurements for how long and tall they would need to be? I could knock something together that could be a replace if I had thoes.
Pieces should probably be 1024 in length (they need to grid snap end to end). One support column at center of span (these columns need to be very long, they need to reach the ground at many heights, but it's fine for them to just be sank into the ground as needed). The bridge should be no more than 500 units wide (outside to outside, including railings; translates in game to ~23 feet), with rails on the sides that are no more than 85 units high (in game 4 feet).

-Starcrunch
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

I've got 3ds files for most of your Necrom meshes, but not for the causeway unfortunately.
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Starcrunch wrote:Pieces should probably be 1024 in length (they need to grid snap end to end).
Standard int pieces are 256-square for "small" and 512-square for "large"; corridor pieces usually include 256x128. Vertical size is barely lesser than horizontal size, so that you can build your building shell with a gridsnap set to 512 when working with a "large" tileset, and set to 256 when working with a "small" tileset. Stair pieces usually descend half as much as they advance -- so small stairs will be 256-square and descend 128 units; while large stairs will be 512-square and descend 256 units.

Some interiors have other pieces. The common set has steep stairs (an elevation of 256 units), the cavern set has a 256x64 corridor piece, and so on. The common and the Dwemer sets are the only one without a "large" set (though Tribunal added a "very large" set of dwemer pieces; and well if you consider it a full-blown set). Only the stronghold, velothi, and dwemer sets have double-height (or hall) pieces.

Something that would be wicked cool for Necrom would be corner stairs. We'd need two instead of one, but the ability to stop wasting space placing corners so that we can climb up or down a level would be nice.

[url=http://img53.imageshack.us/my.php?image=velothioy4.png][img]http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/9080/velothioy4.th.png[/img][/url]
This image shows eight "in_velothismall_4way_01" standing neatly within one "in_velothilarge_4way_01". Something that should absolutely not be done in an actual int because it makes the ground and probably ceiling too flicker like crazy, but it illustrates the proportions.
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

The causeway is still very long (overall it's still about a cell long in all). If you make the pieces only 512 long, two different types need to be modeled; one with a support and one without, otherwise the supports are too close together.

-Starcrunch
Swiftoak
Developer Emeritus

Post by Swiftoak »

Should I begin to work on my claim with these new meshes? Or should I wait until they're merged with OoT.
"Idleness and lack of occupation tend - nay are dragged - towards evil."
-Hippocrates
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Wait, please.

I'll get an updated data ASAP.

If you start using them before merging, then we're bound to get headaches later as we'll have two versions of the same statics, one declared in Map2 and the other declared in Data, and they'll have different paths, and everybody will get yellowbangs because the files will be in Data's path while the mesh used will be in Map2's path.

Horror, chaos, and mass hysteria would follow.
Veet
Developer Emeritus

Post by Veet »

Sorry I haven't been working on this mutch this week. There was an emergency that took most of my time. I haven't mentioned yet to you guys that my wife and I are expecting a baby and on tuesday we had to go to the emergency room thinking we were losing it. Everything turned out fine and I've been realy busy trucking my wife to followup apointments. I should have time to get working on some more stuff next week.
-- Winston Churchill
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

don't worry about it man, take your time and focus on your wife and baby. Remember, as of last month we didn't have anything from you (edit: anything new I mean). I think we can wait a while. (baby > necrom)
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

What TF said; family is always more important than...well anything really.

-Starcrunch
El Scumbago
Developer Emeritus

Post by El Scumbago »

I second Starchrunch and Thrignar. Besides, someone has to keep working on Morrowind after we're gone. Start making babies everyone :P
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Yeah, as we say, "les femmes et les enfants d'abord !"

However, once the stressful situation settles down, I'll have some demands about those models. :D

The first and foremost is to snap their vertices to the grid. It's imperative that the vertex height for the floor be at a round multiple of 128 -- like -128 (Beth's usual convention), for example. Likewise, the X and Y edges must also be at multiples of 128 -- the corners must be at (-128, -128), (-128, 128), (128, -128) and (128, 128).

Why? Because, as it is now, the double-height and the simgle-height tiles don't tile... :/

For an example, take a look at the In_VelothiSmall_4way piece:
Attachments
In_velothismall_4way_01.rar
(7.32 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

How are these going? I hope Necrom won't become a bottleneck for map2. I think the meshes we need the first are the insides of the domes and ovals, then I can begin checking the interiors for errors.

EDIT: Congratulations, Veet!
Interiors: 25
Reviews: more then 250!
Quest Reviews: 3
NPC claims: 2

Currently looking for quest designers.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Whats the El Dealio with Necrom meshes?
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
El Scumbago
Developer Emeritus

Post by El Scumbago »

BUMPing the thread for Jopsoon to take a look at.
blackbird
Reviewer

Post by blackbird »

Good that you bumped this thread.
Yhe stairs of the lighthouse (map3) needs a change. I can't walk normally on those stairs.
theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

as i said in Joopsons showcase thread, the biggest demand for me are the interiors of the domed, oval domed buildings and the watchtower. The rest of the interiors are already made in velothi tiles, so if you retexture them its just a simple search and replace job. Please make those three interior pieces, and then ill start the interior checking in Necrom!

Swiftoak
Developer Emeritus

Post by Swiftoak »

And I'll be able to replace and fix the exterior of Necrom. Gosh, that place is still a mess....
-Hippocrates
theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

Can a modeler take a look at the last posted interior set by Veet? I'm very anxious to begin with Necrom fixing so I hope that set will be enough to do it and the set is up to standard.

Swiftoak
Developer Emeritus

Post by Swiftoak »

Hey Viking. Would you mind if we split the task of fixing Necrom? I kinda wanted to do it since I claimed the exterior, but I know you're good with interiors so perhaps you can fix the insides, and I'll do the outsides? How does that sound?
-Hippocrates
theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

That was exactly the way I was thinking. I already made a list of interiors and I know which ones i can fix and which i can't.