Julia Basilla's Dark Secret.
(Might need a new name.)
Last Edited by Thrignar Fraxix
(Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:43 am) Post
Send private message   Reply with quote      
Sload
Developer Emeritus
06 Feb 2005

In the Basilla lighthouse, the door to the bedroom is locked. If the player speaks to Julia Basilla while she's inside, she'll sound like she's been blubbin' and ask the player to please leave, the player will get a journal saying that she appeared to be upset. If the player asks around town, anyone from Fort Stirk (and Jafan and Aria) will tell the player that three or four times a month, she appears to have been beaten. She won't speak of the bruises, always asking everyone to respect her privacy. Jafan will tell the player that he thinks she keeps a wild (insert random completely made-up creature) in her back room, and that he'd really like to know more about it.

She keeps the key on her person and the lock can be picked. The player can also raise her disposition. Whatever the case, she'll spill the beans. Her father, Iallus Basilla is very sick and amnesiac. Physical symptoms restrict him from helping, and he will randomly become very hostile and irrational. His handicaps briefly subside so that he can hit her enough to bruise. He knows no better, and thinks she is trying to harm him somehow. It is very straining on her mind.

She has a friend in Firsthold who knows of the disease and how to cure it. He suggests using clouded funnel cap, columbine root pulp, and ironwood nut. Unfortunately, she can't afford it, and even if she could, her father wouldn't take the potion thinking it was poison. If she could afford it, she would instead hide it in a pie, her father loves Apple-Strawberry Pie. She asks the player if he could get them, and begs him not to go to the guards.

The player now has three options:
    1. They get the ingredients, specifically:
      5 Flour
      5 Apples
      4 Strawberry
      2 Clouded Funnel Cap
      2 Columbine Root Pulp
      2 Ironwood Nut

2. He can go to the guards, and report domestic abuse.

3. He can go to the guards, and report a mentally ill patient.
The first one's ending is very positive, and gets the player the most gold. The father is cured and friendly now, he helps out and does things like a nice old man. He gives the player a reasonable reward for his efforts.

The second one's ending is very negative. The father goes to prison, where he dies. The lighthouse door is always locked and Julia never leaves. Player gets a small reward from the guards.

The third one's ending is a mix. At first it's like the second, but after 2 weeks, the player will hear that Iallus is back. Commence the first ending.

Post Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:44 am Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
CommonsNat
Developer
05 Feb 2005

I claim this. It shouldn't take but a few weeks max, considering my busy schedule. I'll make it a priority in my fun-time.
Post Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:25 am Send private message       Send e-mail       Reply with quote                   up  
Sload
Developer Emeritus
06 Feb 2005

Good choice, mang.
Post Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:29 am Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
CommonsNat
Developer
05 Feb 2005

10% mark reached.

As of 9/20/06, file has not been tested at all.

Post Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:02 am Send private message       Send e-mail       Reply with quote                   up  
Sload
Developer Emeritus
06 Feb 2005

Hey, you haven't posted about your progress since the 20th. I know we chat in IRC, but could you give me it in writing?

*paperwork*

Post Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:06 am Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
CommonsNat
Developer
05 Feb 2005

Right-o, sorry about that. Progress? I'd rate a 40%-50% completion rating. I've had bad luck testing so far. I actually know very little of what works so far. The inability to exit my interior makes it a bit more difficult.

I still must set up a few alternate quest paths:
-What happens if the player reports domestic abuse.
-What happens if the player reports mental illness.
-What happens after the player bakes the pie.

My days have been busy recently. I'll work on it more.

Post Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:40 am Send private message       Send e-mail       Reply with quote                   up  
CommonsNat
Developer
05 Feb 2005

Update as of 10/26/06:

Only advancement made is some of the path of reporting domestic abuse.
Things to do:
-Fix a quest path for curing Iallus.
-Fix a quest path for reporting he's crazy.
-Fixing and Testing.

Post Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:49 pm Send private message       Send e-mail       Reply with quote                   up  
Haplo
Lead Developer
30 Aug 2003

Progress?

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Post Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:21 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus
06 Dec 2004

Revoked due to absence. Use WIP, or don't JUST CLAIM THIS AND MAKE IT!
Post Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:07 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
groza528
Developer Emeritus
24 May 2004

After literally being begged to learn OB questing, I've decided to use this quest as a learning experience, to ultimately showcase. I don't know whether you consider that a claim or not; if someone else makes it I'll probably still use it as an example, but if others would rather work on, say, modeling, I just wanted you to know that this is being worked on.

I'll be starting from scratch. That's not to say commonsnat did a poor job. I haven't even looked at his work. I just think that since it's meant as a tutorial quest for me, I'll get a lot more out of it if I don't use a work-in-progress.

Post Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:36 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Noirgrim
Developer Emeritus
21 Aug 2003

If you don't want to quest for OB, please don't. But if you do... hit the claim button.

Hammerfell and Stirk aren't going to be built by people who were forced to learn how to mod for OB, but by those who want to mod for OB, who are motivated by the vision of seeing a whole new province made in the OB engine.

Post Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:00 pm Send private message       Send e-mail       Reply with quote                   up  
groza528
Developer Emeritus
24 May 2004

I want to give it a try at least. I just needed a little more prodding because I didn't want to take the time to adapt to the new CS. I'm not going to give up Morrowind questing, but I'll give Hammerfell a try as well.
Post Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:09 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
groza528
Developer Emeritus
24 May 2004

Haven't got a whole lot done yet. Running into a few problems that may just be n00bishness, but Sload couldn't figure out what was wrong either (from screenshots) so I don't feel quite so dumb about it.
And it's not that I didn't have it loaded; I checked.

So the trouble I'm having is that nothing I've added seems to be doing anything for me. To be more specific, "Iallus Basilla" isn't showing up in the cell I put him in, and Julia Basilla is not using the unique greeting I gave her (in the cell she's supposed to say it in.) I would appreciate it if someone would take a look at my WIP and help me figure out where my mistakes are. Thanks in advance!

Q7_05.esp
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Q7_05.esp
 Filesize:  7.75 KB
 Downloaded:  51 Time(s)

Post Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:28 am Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
groza528
Developer Emeritus
24 May 2004

Noirgrim took a look and evidently my .esp had duplicated Iallus and the lighthouse cell for some reason; not entirely certain what the dialogue issue is. He figured something was screwy with my .esp so I'm going to restart from scratch. Hadn't done too much yet anyway.
Post Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:52 am Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
groza528
Developer Emeritus
24 May 2004

Same issue three times in a row. Lady_N told me to try it with Stirk as the active mod, and that seemed to work, which is progress, I guess but it doesn't really help me because I can't just edit Stirk for every misc quest. Anyone?
Post Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:14 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Noirgrim
Developer Emeritus
21 Aug 2003

... are you using the public release? You should be using the internal release, which should be an ESM file, not an ESP file.

Whoever uploaded the newest version of stirk didn't make it an esm... I will fix this in a couple hours.

Post Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:23 pm Send private message       Send e-mail       Reply with quote                   up  
groza528
Developer Emeritus
24 May 2004

I was using an .esp version of Stirk; Noirgrim helped me to figure that out.
Have just finished, but I haven't tested the quest yet. I'll probably test/clean it this evening when I get home.
Edit: I'm having trouble removing the dependency on Stirk.esm because of my reference to Julia Basilla. As such I have been unable to clean and test. I'm posting the dependent version now; any chance I can get a hand from someone?

Q7_05.esp
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Q7_05.esp
 Filesize:  19.56 KB
 Downloaded:  52 Time(s)

Post Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:46 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
groza528
Developer Emeritus
24 May 2004

OK, as per Noirgrim's advice I merged this with the Stirk esm and then turned that into an esp. As far as I can tell, that was the best way to handle the problems I was having. So run this in lieu of any other versions of Stirk. Use top file for review.
Post Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:42 am Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus
06 Dec 2004

No further errors relating to this quest found, approving use top file for all later internal Stirk work.
Post Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:42 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  

The content of this site is © by the Tamriel Rebuilt community. Morrowind, its expansions, and its content is © Bethesda Softworks.
Forums powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group