Quest Plot: Bal Oyra Quest

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Inferno_str1ke

Quest Plot: Bal Oyra Quest

Post by Inferno_str1ke »

Alot of talk has surrounded this quest, and I am proud to call it the first major new town story of Tamriel, as it was made up almost a year ago! The time has come to detail the quest now, if you wish to see the story then visit the Bal Oyra thread in the Group Map 1 forum.

Quest Title: Bal Oyra

Questmaker Name(s): Inferno_str1ke, Geowulf, Greybeard

Story: see Bal Oyra thread

NPC's Involved: Gillan Llarethi, Mistress Rathra, Meritius Vinnius, unnamed Blades member, Firewatch governor, others

Locations Involved: Bal Oyra, Tel Ouada, cave, Firewatch garrison

Dialouges: unwritten

Additional Information: This is how the quest functions

So, the scene is set. When the player arrives in the imperial census town of Bal Oyra he will be told by local Dunmer upon greeting, that there are rumours that Gillan Llarethi is still plotting. This will mean little to the player, but if he asks further he will hear the story of how the town was taken over by Imperials, but then taken back by blackmailing Meritius into selling his people as slaves. When the name Rathra is mentioned, the player will be told of how Master Rathra declined to help the rebels, but how his daughter Novryna fell in love with Gillan and taught him magic. Only if the player talks to one of Novryna's household will he find out exactly how this love came about. The player will be informed by the Dunmer of Oyra (whether or not the player asks about Llarethi) that Gillan appears to have been absent from his lighthouse for some time. From imperial citizens, the player will hear that the captain of the guard is looking for outside help in a small 'matter.' And from the latest rumours dialogue, players will hear of suspicions about a new clotier in town.

Now is where the player makes a small choice - will they visit the imperials, the lighthouse, or check out this suspicious clothier.

The player chooses the imperials and is led to the captain of the guard, who will give the player a small quest to test his honesty - it will involve a standard smuggler hunt, some smugglers have not given thier payment for Meritius' blind eye on thier last shipment, and he wants it. You can kill, steal or intimidate to get it. After this comes a real choice, will the player speak with Meritius? Once he has heard the plan, he cannot choose to go back, lest he be killed by the guards, so this is where they can make the irreversible choice to fight for meritius.

The player choose the lighthouse, and when there finds Gillan not there, but a map showing the location of the rebel cave. En route the player will be acosted by a 'hermit' who tells him to gai their trust by springing a member of the rebels from the Oyra jail. After this the player will meet Gillan in the (now unlocked -script) cave (where Gillan and his rebels make their plans), and will have to make a choice here. If he decides to join he cannot go back, or Rathra will have the Morag Tong execute him.

The player visits the stranger. He finds out that the stranger is a Blade, trained by Caius Cosades. The player must show the Blade Caius' ring, or get proof of identity from another Blade back on Vvardenfell. Once the Blade trusts the player, he will tell about the Blades' interest in smuglers (the player cannot find out the real plan yet). He sends the player to gather information from the fort. After this has been attained, the player must make a choice, does he want in on the Blades mission? If he chooses so, he will be told the real reason that the Blades are there (they want Meritius out, and need proof). If the player does choose to hear this, he cannot go back, so now is working for the Blades.

So, the player by now has 'joined' one faction.

Next stage is to figure out all the dialogues, scripts and quest items that will be used for this first stage. Once all the first stage is complete, we can get three separate teams working on each of the three routes through the quest.
Last edited by Inferno_str1ke on Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
M1ke
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

I_S, are you planning on scripting the quest yourself, or will you hand that over to Katse, Kevaar and company?
sterio

Post by sterio »

How is it, if you have joined house Telvanni, can you then side AGAINST the rebels who want to make the town Telvanni, or are you then forced to side with them. And likewise, if you are, say, a member of the imperial-liking house Hlaalu, or the Imperial Legion, must you then side with the Empire? Or can you just choose whatever side you want, no matter where your allegiance normally lies... ?
RaJevir

Post by RaJevir »

Who says you can't betray your allies? As long as they never find out... :D

Rathra??? She's mistress of Tel Ouada.....
"Scrib specimen number two escaped from its pen today. Again. I shall have to find some other way to limit its mobility, as building higher walls seems to have little effect" -Mistress Rathra
Inferno_str1ke

Post by Inferno_str1ke »

yep, thats correct Raj. read the Bal Oyra thread.

and of course im not scripting it myself - my good griends geowulf and greybeard of the Bal Oyra commnity will help me! :D
M1ke
Anonymous

Sorry but,

Post by Anonymous »

I took the liberty to chance this quest into something I think is much cooler. Your story is pretty cool though :P Tell me you lif you like it.

Quest: The secret of Bal oyra

Questmaker Name(s): Inferno_str1ke, Geowulf, Greybeard , Bladmand

Story: Bal Oyra is an imperial town. But it harbours a strange secret! Many years before the empire came to morowind it was a simple dunmer fishing village controlled by Telvanni, with only minor links between it and the nearby tower of Tel Ouada. But when the imperials came they realised that the small jutting out of land would be the perfect place to guard entrance into the shipping heavy waters around firewatch. In 3E416 they razed almost the entire dunmer settlement and established a C&E ofice like in seyda neen. An overseer of the town, Maritius Vinnius was put in place. However those those sons of the dunmer that used to live there had not forgotten this betrayal and have now grouped together to take this city back. Fearing that the imperials in firewatch my interfer they have taken the help of a local telvanni [will be continued]

I dont think the whole blade quest is a good idea. But rather those Legion vs Sons of Bal oyra Dunmer war (we need a fancy name. What about Tho'rak?)The Tho'rak campaign would be quests as preparing the assault on Bal oyra and preparing the ancient magic that will make the city Telvanni.
The legion campaign would be to detroy Tho'rak
Geowulf

Post by Geowulf »

Hmmm, your idea is kinda already included in the quest :) . The Tho'rak you are talking about are actually those rebbels from the original quest. Also, the history is slightly changed: the original fishing town wasn't controlled by Telvanni but by local fishermen (tribesmen...). When the Imperials took the town the rebelleader asked help from the Telvanni from Tel Ouada but he didn't get it right away. Only when the father of Rathra died and she became in love with Gilan, he received help to take the town back. Meanwhile, Gilan studied to become a Telvanni and soon will build his own mushroom in BAl Oyra (that's what's the quest is all about). If you choose Telvanni side you will lead a small group (army) of mercenaries from Tel Ouada to whipe out the Imperial legion...

The Blade quest just adds another way to complete the quest for those people who don't want to choose between corrupt Imperials and snobbish Telvanni.
Last edited by Geowulf on Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Read the Books of Tamriel @ http://geowulf.tamriel-rebuilt.org

Currently doing:
- Bal Oyra interiors fix
- Bosmora, warehouse and indoor market
OOT status:
BoT (v1.4.)
CoT (v1.0.)
Inferno_str1ke

Post by Inferno_str1ke »

yeh Blad, you just basically gave us a shortened version of our quest, with a few slight changes. im sorry but what we already have is the product of much much discussion over a few months, so the story has been 'finalized' what this here is for is for doing dialogue, scripting events and setting out step by step guides to each of the three paths. if you wish to help, feel free but make sure you read the Bal Oyra story first. anyone who wirtes dialogue or does anything like that will be credited, whether it is used or not.

and yes, the Blades is for people who cant choose, who want to follow their roots. and there will be a battle at the end, no matter which side you choose.
M1ke
Inferno_str1ke

Post by Inferno_str1ke »

ok, so with the full and utterly cool new BO exterior, we are ready to begin the quest writing. As map1 is finished we can prepare for this now, so ill need people who know the story to volounteer to write dialogue, and design storyboards for what exactly will be able to happen, for each of the three options.
M1ke
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

you want us to draw a storyboard 8)
Inferno_str1ke

Post by Inferno_str1ke »

well not draw, think up:

player goes to (insert interior) and talks to (insert NPC) gets two choices, join rebels or bluff and go report to imperials
- player choses choice one - x outcome
- player choses choice two - y outcome

we have a story, but exactly how the quest will go is not fully established. once we have a full thing like above, each encounter can have dialogue and journal entries written for it.
M1ke
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

I just read your story and i think its a good place to start. It'll probably be the first real quest that gets implemented.

One thing:

"The player must show the Blade Caius' ring, or get proof of identity from another Blade back on Vvardenfell."

You may want to put this Blade agent on the morrowind mainland to avoid altering Vvardenfel. Maybe he could be an undercover blade in Firewatch who has contacts with Cauis. But then i guess you'd have to figure out a way for the PC to know that this agent is a blade.. after all he's undercover. Hehehe.
C-GenX

Post by C-GenX »

I can write a storyboard for the BO quest. If you want me to, I just need to download the newest version of BO and Tel Ouada and take a look around. I know I haven't been the most active TR member (4 Advanced Placement Classes and being editor of the school newspaper does that to you), but I now have a crap load of free time and guaruntee that I am reliable.

I don't know... its all up to you guys...
Inferno_str1ke

Post by Inferno_str1ke »

well, maybe we'll just do the caius ring thing, it could end up quite complicated if were sending the player all the way to Firewatch and cant alter vvardenfell. well add something to the house to indicate to the player that maybe it would be a good idea to wear the ring.

well C-GenX, Oyra was built around people contributing here there and everywhere - out of that Geowulf and Greybeard became as much a part of Oyra as myself - so youre welcome to do a storyboard. i ask first that you read all of the Bal Oyra thread, and make sure you know which story is the most recent and Official one. then check the quest synopsis above.
M1ke
C-GenX

Post by C-GenX »

I'll get started.
Inferno_str1ke

Post by Inferno_str1ke »

you'd better :twisted:

jk
M1ke
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

As I recall, there was also a tie-in with Tel Ouada. Something about a love triangle and betraying someone's dad? Is that part of this same quest, or is that a separate one - or am I just playing with my mental blocks? :?
Inferno_str1ke

Post by Inferno_str1ke »

yeh ur right grey, but no love triangle, this is TR not EastEnders. Its basically just Gillan (you know, town leader in exile in that cave) in love with Mistress Rathra (lady-wizard of Ouada). The love thing was in the past, but naturally we'll let the player know why a bug-obsessed telvani woman is in love with a scruffy light house/cave dwelling former town owner (he lives in the lighthouse, but him n his rebels do all their plotting in the cave outside of town).

and ive made a change to the top quest synopsis, the rebel paragraph. so check it.
M1ke
Inferno_str1ke

Post by Inferno_str1ke »

ok, ive made more changes to the begining story, and set out a plan for how we will do this. The begining is now the final version of how the quest will begin, and relates perfectly to the information ive given in the map1 synopsis. So what we need now is outlined in the last paragraph of the first post. Once we have all this start stuff done, ill give the next stages for each of the three routes.
M1ke
Inferno_str1ke

Post by Inferno_str1ke »

C-Gen, have you made any progress?
M1ke
C-GenX

Post by C-GenX »

sorry, I've been in Europe without access to a computer. I have a quick question before I continue. Will the smuggler quest at the beginning be able to be bypassed if one pays the fee one's self instead of stealing it?
C-GenX

Post by C-GenX »

finishing up dialogue and location references. I'm preparing to travel again on Sunday, so I probably won't be done until next week. :-( Sorry again guys for the immense delay.
Inferno_str1ke

Post by Inferno_str1ke »

well there is no fee, the smuggler hunt is to prove your loyalty to meritius. so you have to do it. and no problem for the delay, when map1 is released we will have to get down to work properly, but until then...
M1ke
Inferno_str1ke

Post by Inferno_str1ke »

well I have just claimed the first lot of NPCs and dialogue for the quest. I have to wait until they update the available NPC thread before claiming anyone else in town.
M1ke
Inferno_str1ke

Post by Inferno_str1ke »

Oyra is coming. In one week I will have submitted 6-31, and will then finish off the quest specific Oyra interiors (or get other people to make some). The quest will then be claimed and and seen through to completion.
M1ke
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

Ah, found it. Theo, please review this when you get a chance.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

You REALLY don't want me to come back.
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

Where is it? This is only the opening act...

-Starcrunch
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

Well this is all that I can find, so I guess that this is all they have so far. If Inferno_Strike has more, this is the place to post it.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

Bal Oyra quest seems to be sort of phantom of TR. Everybody speaks of it, it is omnipresent, yet I cannot find it anywhere... :P
Inferno, please make sure all NPC's used in BO quest are up to the criteria mentioned in map 1 NPC remake thread.
I guess this was quite useless comment...
THEO
Inferno_str1ke

Post by Inferno_str1ke »

Fair nuff, here's what the player's going to be doing. Back story remains the same as always, and the player will learn of this before and during the quest. A few changes have been made to the thing above. Ill simply do each route through to near the end (not figured out the ends for two of the lines yet).

Imperial
This quest involves helping the corrupt governor of Oyra.

Player visits Imp informant in tavern.
Is told to visit guard captain.
Is given mission to visit ship docked in town.
Whilst in ship is spoken to by slave, given hint of smuggling, sugest visit CE office.
If visits CE office, sees head of office, Navu, is not surprised by smuggling claims.
Goes back to guard captain, is thanked if didnt visit CE, is reprimanded if did visit CE
Is told to go to tavern in 1 day.
Goes to tavern, meets informant, given task to visit smugglers on island to west.
Can choose to kill smugglers or listen to them and visit Rocconius (leads to Blades story).
If killed smugglers, returns to guard captain, takes oath to governor, closes off other 2 story lines.

Dunmer
This quest involves helping the dunmer/telvanni to reclaim the town from the imperials. Will result in town transforming into telvanni town.

Player visits Gillan in lighthouse.
Is told to fetch ring from top of tower, is shown the Bal Oyra tale of the Dunmer on pickup.
Has to steal manifest from CE office.
Can ask Navu about an item Gillan mentions.
If asks about item, is led to basement by Cadach, asked if wants to buy.
Player must decline, is warned and threatend by smugglers Zeryl and Lish.
Player visits Gillan, reports, is told to return in a day.
Returns, is note on door, must look for hermit outside of town.
Player meets hermit, Trir, is told of prisoner, rebel member, must be freed from fort.
Can sneak in, is chased when freeing prisoner. If escapes Trir activates enchantment on ring.
Is talked to by Guard Captain on way out, tells of rebels killing innocents (leads to Imperial story)
Player led to Llarethi Ancestral Tomb.
Guard lets player in if he has ring and swears a vow of secrecy, closes off other 2 story lines.

Blades
This quest involves helping the Blades bring the governor to justice and appease the population, without loosing the city to corruption or Telvanni. May involve partial transformation to telvanni, not sure yet.

Player visits Rocconius.
Is asked to do him a favour, collect clothes to be repaired from fort.
Is slipped a crumpled note by a guard there.
Rocconius asks for the note.
Tells the player about the Blades' interest in the governor.
Tells player to meet him at night outside the town.
Player and Rocconius track Meritius as he visits the boat at night. Goes into the CE office, emerges through the traders with bag of money.
On way back, meets rebel, also watching Meritius. Is told about planned rebellion (leads to Dunmer story)
Next day player visits Rocconius. Is told the plan for next stage once has assured him of commitment, closes off other 2 story lines.

The player can, if they wish, complete every single aspect of each of the above quests, except for the parts of taking oaths to different factions. Once the player has chosen a faction there will be a different final stage for each faction:

Imperial

Dunmer
The player is told to talk to each of the rebels, who all handle a different area of the rebellion, then to talk once more to Gillan.
Player must visit tavern, and ask barkeep to spread word amongst Dunmer about rebellion. Is attacked by Imp Informant once has left tavern.
Player must visit armourer about shipment of weapons.
Player must visit Hrongal Wave-Breaker about use of a boat to transport weapons to staging area.
Player must visit Elfmaid, talk to slaves about preventing ship leaving for Firewatch.
Is told by slaves that ships mistress must be warned.
Player warns mistress of ship, she asks for money, player can choose.
Returns to tomb, is told to meet outside town in two nights.
Meets, is told to attack a guard, battle starts.
large battle, guards v dunmer. If player payed money, fight ends when guards are dead. If player didnt pay, Elfmaid has gone when attack starts, arrives with more soldiers when guards are dead.
If fight is over, player must go into fort to kill Meritius.
If fight continues, Meritius hides in CE, player must go through Traders, under basement, kill smugglers, Cadach and Meritius.
Once meritius dead, player talks to Gillan. Is told that growing town will take a fortnight.
Returns in a week, tower is standing - keep gone, a few roots here and there.
Returns in fortnight, many telvanni buildings, all Imp buildings have roots through them.
Quest ends.

Blades
M1ke
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

I can't get into it. I see no real "plot" to the whole thing, and it doesn't look very interesting. It seems very random. The opening Imperial line has one actual quest. Also, you still haven't posted the full thing.

(There is the chance that some of this criticism is only caused by the way you wrote the outline.)
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

It is written in a way that makes it hard to get into. When my mind isn't dulled by the scorching heat (I'm sweating my balls off), I will read it as closely as I can and see if I can re-word it into a way that summarizes the plot well.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

Inferno_str1ke

Post by Inferno_str1ke »

It is likely caused by the way I wrote it, because I couldnt be bothered to take time over wording it well and having to explain things. Its there as a storyboard. And in the end I dont give a s**t if you think its boring, so thats really an irellevant comment.
M1ke
Vernon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vernon »

What do you give a shit about? We already know you don't give a shit about getting this done in a reasonable timespan.
welp
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

I know you may not care what Sload thinks, but you probably should care what Theo thinks.
Just a suggestion...
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Inferno_str1ke wrote:It is likely caused by the way I wrote it, because I couldnt be bothered to take time over wording it well and having to explain things. Its there as a storyboard. And in the end I dont give a s**t if you think its boring, so thats really an irellevant comment.
I find this absolutely hillarious.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

What do I think? I think that the whole quest possibly makes sense, but Inferno is very mean with information on who is who and what is exactly going on.

And I also think he should take care to submit whole plot. Take a look at guild proposals to see what is required and what not. (Fighters guild is perhaps much too detailed. Temple and Imperial Cult will do - just add some more explanation for uninitated...)
You may think this is useless commanding and that you can make whatever quests you wish without taking care on informing us...
Yes, but this is a project and without communication with others yours work might not be included to it, so please behave!

On the other note. The questline seems on first sight very long and very complicated, something like bunch of three guildlines. This will not be easy to make and making a proper plot is a good way to start and not to get lost in it later. If I had to do things described here I would say it would take me 50 of pure working hours at least, so keep that in mind.
THEO
Inferno_str1ke

Post by Inferno_str1ke »

Sload wrote:I find this absolutely hillarious.
What can I say, Im a comic genius.

and to the nice people: I communicate and get told its basically rubbish by one person. If I put it in more detail and someone says the same, I cant even use 'lack of detail' as a get out. Maybe if someone could say something constructive I wouldnt be so cynical.[/quote]
M1ke
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

Try submiting more detailed plotline with some explanations on who is who, what is his motivation and why he asks yo to do, what he does.
Then we can submit this under constructive critique of logical and lore consistency and gameplay features.
Once the questline is in this stage, everybody can possibly claim it and make appropriate dialogue and scripts of his head.
This will prove very usefull as others will be able to give you helping hand in making this quest if you find it to be over your head, or if you simply will not have enough time.
If you keep everything just in your head, you risk that it will stay there and never get into game.
THEO
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

How is it going, Inferno?
THEO