G_D question: Hammerfell Military

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

grumble_dog12

G_D question: Hammerfell Military

Post by grumble_dog12 »

This will now be where I post all of my questions (once in a while there will probably be a lot of them). I am doing this to follow advice given to me

Questions #1 Answered

Questions #2
For the first response to my Sealed Letter: http://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=18496
I have written the response from Commander Traeho of Rihad. It is a work in progress in the writing section, if you want to read it.

My question is:
Where can I find information on Hammerfell's military, specifically the knightly orders (besides on TIL) that I can include within this letter?
Last edited by grumble_dog12 on Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noirgrim
Developer Emeritus

Post by Noirgrim »

Before you get too far into it, download map 9 (Border Crossing), and check out the forts themselves and the NPC's that reside there. The first one is found on the Brena River (follow the road west from Anvil). The other is west of Chorral (follow the the road west from there).

[url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=17714]Map 9 Download[/url] and all of the downloadable content is in the 'Internal Download and Testing' forum.
"Noirgrim, (who is accused of working too hard) is the worst kind of modder this project can get." -Ender
Jale
Developer

Post by Jale »

[okay i wrote this while Noir was replying, and didnt know he meant that...but imagine this as a response to the question 'if we were having two biggish imperial forts somewhere, where would they be']

I would imagine that the outposts would be 'twinned' with Redguard cities, as in Morrowind. If you think about it, the forts were all twinned to a nearby town...

Fort Moonmoth - Balmora - Hlaalu Capital on Vvardenfel
Fort Buckmoth - Ald'Rhun - Redoran Capital on Vvardenfel
Wolverine Hall - Telvani Capital on Vvardenfel
Ebonheart - Vivec - Capital city of all Vvardenfel
Gnisis fort - Gnisis - Tactically the only decent town in the north west

As you can see, typically they like to have at least one outpost near the largest town of each faction. Since the factions are so disjointed anyway, this would be redundant, but I think one fort for the north coast, and one for the south would be a sound idea.

If you think about it, a fort twinned with Rihad would be redundant, owing to its proximity to Imperial lands anyway. In my opinion a fort twinned to Gilane would be an eminently logical idea, on the coast, with some provision for being able to dock a ship there. From here a force could respond to problems in Gilane, Hegathe, Sentinel or Stros M'kai, as well as acting as a logical lay-over point for a naval ship. I would put a smallish outpost on the western edge of that strip of land, on the opposite side to Gilane.

The second place would probably be Skaven. Dragonstar is pretty much miltiarised anyway, and I doubt the Imperials want to get their hands dirty there. Elinhir, though probably more important, is pretty close to Chorrol as it is. Skaven would be my choice for a second 'twinned fort'.

So, how big? Probably just a single tower, a watchtower-size garrison, and a jetty for the one near Gilane.
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

That's not the case in Hammerfell. Morrowind was a self-goverened province, for the most part, so the Empire built the forts there for insurance purposes. Hammerfell regained it's political freedom by force (and so odds are any Imperial forts would have been destroyed or taken over), and became part of the Empire again through politics.
The forts would be close to the Cyrodiil border. Before the Redguards came to Hammerfell and taught them a lesson in badassery, the Imperials were unable to survive in the harsh climate. They'd be even less able to build forts way out by Skaven, halfway across the province.
But, as Noir pointed out, both forts are already built anyways.
So, looking at those will alter facts 1 and 2, and fact 3 is altered by the name I had already chosen for the leader of Rihad, Traeho (spelling may change if I think of something cooler, but that's the jist of it).
Keep in mind the different Forebear mindsets towards Imperial trade when writing this. In essence, the Taneth Forebears are super Imperial fanboys and want everything to do with them (the ones in power, anyways), and the Rihad Forebears view Imperial trade as a means to an end, and are accepting of it so long as it is beneficial to them. The Rihad Forebears hold no special love for the Empire, and only want their stuff.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

You REALLY don't want me to come back.
grumble_dog12

Post by grumble_dog12 »

So if I changed the name of the fort from Fort Harstenn to Fort Brena or Stone Gate, it would fit in better with what TR has already decided upon, but what of the names of the captains, commander of Rihad, etc?

for example
I wrote:Sealed Report
by Captain Rinison Mirel of Fort Brena

This report is to be delivered to, and read ONLY by Commander Merius of Rihad, Queen Clavilla of Taneth, and Akil Florius: Forebear representative on the Elder Council.

This is the formal request for increased support to be sent for Fort Brena. To benefit Forebear and Imperial interests, I request the following concessions:

I: Increased funding
II: An increased garrison
would these names be contradicting any other lore on the subject, and are they within the bounds of my creative liscense?
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

[Edit: see below]
Last edited by grumble_dog12 on Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nanu
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nanu »

"Creative License"? If the lore isn't already made up and what you're saying has some validity/makes some sense, then feel free to say it.
"You can remove spells from your list in Morrowind. I think it was shift-click, don't quote me on that though." - Cathartis
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mnbsqv]Forum Rules[/url]
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mj594z]Moratorium[/url]
| [url=http://tinyurl.com/6msxag]Writing for TR[/url]
grumble_dog12

Post by grumble_dog12 »

the name Traeho sounds much better than Commander Merius, but he IS a commandeer right?

Also, since Fort Brena is so close to Rihad, it would have close ties to the city even though it is in Cyrodil.

Therefore, an appeal for Imperial and Taneth support would be taken well if it promised profit to the empire. To appeal to Rihad, it would be presented in a military manner so that Traeho may feel a professional conection to the captain of Fort Brena. There is also the point that the two are close together, meaning that a simple request would be well recieved in Rihad

So, I assume that I should write something in direct language that is meant to ask for support from Rihad. Also, to gain support from Taneth and Cyrodil, it would have to make the potential benefits to the Empire apparent.
AnAdoringFan

Post by AnAdoringFan »

Before one gets carried away, we must remember that Hemmerfell still is an imperial province, meaning that the largest military presence, NOT guard presence, but military presence, will have to be that of the legions. Although there may be a certain amount of Individual battalions of Redguard/Lhutonic soldiers, they are not the governing military or naval presence . I was thinking several military groups affiliated with the Legions, though under the governance of the hammerfell crown, therefore being semi-independent military forces. The barren wastelands of hammerfell could have their own self-proclaimed military force, as I imagine there would be minimal legion presence out there.
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Re: G_D question: Hammerfell Military

Post by Gez »

grumble_dog12 wrote:Questions #1 Answered

<emptyness>

Questions #2
I'm going to ask you not to delete the answered questions, for two reasons. The first is that the thread won't make sense if readers don't know what the first replies are talking about; the second is that if people ask the same question it'll be easier to find this thread back and direct them to the replies already given. :)
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

About a year and a half too late Gez.

AnAdoringFan before one gets carried away, we must please make sure that we do not needlessly reply to threads that have not recieved attention since Grindhouse was in theatres. However, we must also recall the very important fact that a treaty devolving power to the province's native powers was signed in 2E 896 thus allowing for the presence of militias within Hammerfell, though that is not to say that the legion does not have some forces in their valuable province, in fact they are based out of Taneth. The point is that, as you came to realize in your own ramblings, both a native and an Imperial legion presence exists in Tamriel, and therefore our two posts amount to zero new insight, which is not surprising because bumping a positively ancient thread with a rambling single paragraph post rarely brings new information to the table. Anyway one ought to try to be thoughtful in post structuring our posts and deciding when our post will actually contribute to a thread, or even when a thread is contributable to.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]