Priorities for Morrowind

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

@Nomadic: Nothing yet (but my private hope, which is now public I suppose, is that when the time comes you'll make them).

Ok, I've posted version 0.20 (in members downloads).

Here is a list of things that need a second look, and consideration from Lud (and Gez for some of the TR_data.ESM problems:
  • 1. There are reports of serious lag at the Orelu Plantation due to all the flora.
  • 2. The west coast of Map 1 covers some ocean floor Bethesda built and populated with sea creatures. These creatures now spawn on the land (the creatures spawn points are significantly below the land in the editor if you are trying to find them). I've removed some of these, but there are likely moor.
  • 3. This report-->My laptop freezes when I try to enter the alchemist (Drolan Omothan) shop in Gah Sadrith (tried it twice). DROLAN OMOTHAN'S SHOP IS IN GO, NOT GS. CAN ANYONE CONFIRM THIS ERROR, I'VE NEVER HAD THIS HAPPEN IN ANY INTERIOR IN BOTH CITIES, BUT SINCE IT IS A CRASH WE SHOULD INVESTIGATE.
  • 4. The Bandit script causes wonky behavior when mutltiple bandits are in the same room; some attack the PC while other's stand there. There is no simple way to fix this but to revert back to using Fight instead of the script.
  • 5. Morden has requested we add some non-soldiers to FW exteriors.
  • 6. All miners on Map 1 have Kwama related topics; this has to do with the way Beth filters the topic (NoLore cannot help us here, and neither can anything but a new class for non-egg miners in TR; there are a few other ways but they would require adding scripts to beth NPC's and redesigning the filters).
  • 7. The "animal products" topic in TR_data.ESM is causing a CTD due to it's results box (I'd guess one of the added topics doesn't exist). This must be fixed.
  • 8. Topic "Someone in particular" needs to be written for Port Telvannis.
  • Some AI fixes still need to be made, I'll look into that, but only after all the quests for the next public release are merged.
Back to questing tomorrow night.

-Starcrunch
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

AD 3) There is no door leading to interior of Drolan Omothan in Gah Sadrith. I am absolutely sure!
AD 4) I vote for removal of bandit script as well, but I have two more reasons:
The bandits and outlaws usually have no other possibility of meaningful interaction with the player, but to attack him. I am of the opinion each NPC should offer some non-trivial conversation/information or interaction so that you had reason to speak with it, or it should be hostile, or it should be quest related otherwise it just takes space for no reason. Consistency with Vvardenfel, where all outlaws were hostile is also an argument.
If you want some non-hostile encounters in the wilderness, there is the Ludovic's thread of map 1 NPC (non-quest) ideas, which has a lot of ideas in it waiting for implementation.
AD 6) We definitely need more classes for TR. Not only miners, but perhaps some specialized merchants like tailor or jeweler and also adventure class would add some spice (manhunter, slavedriver and more mage classes like: Illusionist, Summoner would be nice for Telvanni lands)
THEO
aro101
Developer Emeritus

Post by aro101 »

IMO, the cities look still too empty, it makes the player feel like there's no one except the Gaurds...
Oh, and one more thing. I may be wrong, but there are no Temple and Divine Markers in TR... And in the Imperial chapel in Firewatch there is a static instead of an activator. So the player can heal etc. My question is, is it supposed to be so? If it is, why? I reported this, but I didn't note any reply.
PoHa: how can we best this trio of trouble? who will save us from this menace of sub-par models? what will we do?
PoHa: I know! we'll shoot an Aro at them
Aro: you have only one Aro missile!
PoHa: yes, but its heat seeking and quite possibly indestructible

How to do not become a modeller - by Stryker:
[00:13:]Stryker: no tutorial, no no no
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

Drolan Omothan, isn't in Gah Sadrith. The error reporter got confused; he is in Gah Ouadaruhn (and I don't crash when I go there; so if anyone can reproduce this error please speak up).

I agree that FW needs more civilians, but most of the other cities have a reasonable number of folks in the exterior as best I can tell (maybe a few more in GS, GO, and TO would be called for). The imperial chapel in FW has an activator altar on the entry floor. There is a static altar in the basement. There is no need for two activator altars (and the one on the first floor is directly in front of the player when they enter the chapel). Temple and divine markers now exist, as I state in the beta test threads, I have added divine markers to Firewatch and Bal Oyra (and a cult shrine to BO). The only temple that I am aware of on Map 1 is in Ranyon Ruhn, it certainly has a marker. [Actually there is one at Tel Ouada, but that should be removed in my opinion, and there probably should be one somewhere small and out of the way in Port Telvannis.] These changes will be in the next beta release (and are in the v0.20 quest release available for TR modders for internal testing that I uploaded yesterday).

-Starcrunch
blackbird
Reviewer

Post by blackbird »

I've reported point 7 a long time ago.
I think it has to do with the fact that every subject (marked in blue) doesn't have an appropiate text.
CleverClothe
Developer

Post by CleverClothe »

I think much of the Necrom catacombs should be in the normal tomb style. Maybe something more cave like for the older stuff.
_________ E I
Claimed:.0 0
Review:...0 0
Finished:.2 5
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

A mix of cave and velothi would look ideal, yes. Maybe some older dunmer architecture unless its not lore friendly.
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"How dare you question the colonnade!" - one of the Glorious Leaders

"Nemon + IKEA = creationism" - some guy

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

Actually some of the old ideas here are worth attention:
[url]http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=7349&highlight=necrom+catacombs[/url]

The Necrom is main burial site, so its tombs should be the largest, best and most sophisticated Morrowind has to offer. Lets make this worth being on same map as Kemel-Ze and Dun-Akafel.
THEO
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

Can we continue the discussion on what should be in the Necrom burial sites in the lore forum?

-Starcrunch
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

Well lets see... detailing on Map2 and interior merging is what I'm on now.

After this is finished whats the outlook on Map3 detailing?
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"How dare you question the colonnade!" - one of the Glorious Leaders

"Nemon + IKEA = creationism" - some guy

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
Lud
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lud »

Well, there's still plenty of map2 detailing to be done.
However, map3 detailing should be quite a smallish job. Most of it is quite well detailed. However, some settlements need rebuilding, IMO.
"It’s all been such a mistake. We were once little shrew-like animals. That would be so much better."
-Ophelia Benson
CleverClothe
Developer

Post by CleverClothe »

Map 3 will need blending though. Lots of breaks between claims.
_________ E I
Claimed:.0 0
Review:...0 0
Finished:.2 5
Xui'al
Developer Emeritus

Post by Xui'al »

I believe that the title dds file for the two "Maps of the Molagreahd" volumes still need to be replaced.
'What if man is not really a scoundrel - man in general, I mean, the whole race of mankind - then all the rest is prejudice, simply artificial terrors and there are no barriers and it's all as it should be.'
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

That reminds me... we need map books for the rest of the maps, preferably with one for map 2 being done soon.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

I can make a map of map1 just like i did with map2. Should I go ahead?
Interiors: 25
Reviews: more then 250!
Quest Reviews: 3
NPC claims: 2

Currently looking for quest designers.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

we already have one do we not?
Reviewing Administrator

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

yes, yes we do. however, it may need a bit of updating since it was made way back when
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Re: Priorities for Morrowind

Post by Gez »

Okay, so I have archived my whole Morrowind directory (it was starting to be really a mess inside) somewhere on my external hard drive, and installed Morrowind anew cleanly. Gosh, I had forgotten how ugly the vanilla bodies were. And I downloaded all the latest TR stuff I found and played!

One of the things I noticed when I went to the test cell was that the Daedric Septis was as it was before.

Gez wrote:
Ludovic wrote:-A proper icon needs to be made for the book "daedric Septis" as I use that model as a quest item in the MQ, and its icon doesn't currently match.
Done:
[url=http://img101.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot49hd4.png][img]http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/3526/screenshot49hd4.th.png[/img][/url]
Notice that I've also fixed a few icons that had a slight whitish outline.
[url=http://img101.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot50nv3.png][img]http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/2851/screenshot50nv3.th.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://img101.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot51ul3.png][img]http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/1526/screenshot51ul3.th.png[/img][/url]
Notice that I've taken the liberty of filling it with the new bookart pictures. And made a bookart title. Looks cool enough? Is it the proper order for the pages? What about the text? (I've put a dumb placeholder under each image. It's some sort of lame but subtle pun.)
Wasn't this in my last update? Was it removed for some reason? Neither the icon nor the bookarts are in the Data... Here's an archive with the relevant files: icons, bookart, and an esp which can be merged with Data to fix the book.
Attachments
TR_DaedricSeptis.rar
(217.89 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I'll merge it with the next TR_Data update
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Aeven
Lead Developer

Priorities for Morrowind

Post by Aeven »

New Priorities for Morrowind (as analysed/assumed by me)

Map 1: MowSkwoz's fixage.

Map 2: Quests! Quest ideas are being developed very slowly. We need more quests designed before they can be put up as claims to actually be implemented. I am unsure as to whether we want a main quest for Map 2, but I don't think this is necessary, considering it's mostly an extension of Map 1.

Map 3: Detailing needs to be completed. Also, some sort of plan probably needs to be made for the NPCing of Almalexia, which is sure to be a hellish task. There was some talk of adding a theatre and possibly some illegal underground arena to Almalexia. Almalexia lacks entertainment and culture, which is odd, especially considering it's the capital. One of the plaza's could probably be turned into a theatre.

Maybe it's also time to really start defining House Indoril, with them being the main feature of the map and all. The ranks still need to be named, or some of them at least. I recall Sload saying Temple ranks are a good inspiration for the currently unnamed ranks. Don't just copy them, that'd be bad I think.

Necrom will hopefully be finished next month, and hopefully the meshes will be fixed then as well. The city has the potential to be one of the most unique in all Morrowind, and needs some hell-awesome quests. Have the remaining catacombs been completed?

Map 4: Merge in the recently completed exteriors. Do the remaining interiors. Start detailing? Old Ebonheart Castle needs to be finished. I'm guessing that'll be taking its time. It also is unclear to me if it's Kragenmar or Kragenmoor.

Establishing the situation of both Hlaalu and Redoran in the region seems to be a good thing to do now. Would joining the Mainland branches of these be able, considering neither house has their capital in this map? (Maybe add western Map 6, what with Narsis, Hlaalu cities and Redoran settlements?)

The other maps are a bit too far off to be worrying about right now.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

you wanted comments:
map 1: More like finishing what needs to be finished and generic fixage.
map 2: we are done with map by map main quests. As far as quest lines, yeah we need some.
map 3: NPC detailing plan is that we make someone do it
no arena, no underground theater
I think we have ranks somewhere
The catacombs have not been started, and we have no real plans for them. Plans will be made though, and they will be good.
map 4: Kragenmoor
also, no shit sherlock
OE castle is going fairly quickly now
we are not adding map 6 parts to map 4

map 5 is the map we need to worry about most, but is not something you all need to think about
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I don't know what TF is talking about with no theater or arena, because we are definitely adding a little theater space somewhere.

EDIT, lol I just noticed TF has it backwards... its theater and underground arena, not arena and underground theater. The underground arena is kind of lame tbh.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined