Pilgrimages for Almalexia and Sotha Sil

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Whev, this is why I don't do anything.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

Of Jale's, I like: the Virtue of Mercy, the Virtue of Bravery, the Virtue of Power, the Merit of Reliability and the Merit of Ingenuity.

Some of the other ones are, as I'm kinda agreeing with Sload, too dull or too every day. Even on Vivec's 7 Graces he was catching moons and was naked plowing fields like a guar.

We need to come up with a little back story of Sotha Sil and Almalexia to do this right. Whether or not anyone here writes sermons by either of these gods is an unimportant point, but the books about the pilgrimages can be written by almost anybody who can think like a Temple worshipper. I don't think Vivec wrote the Pilgrim's Path.
<insert witty signature here. i might spend time trying to come up with something, but its not like anybody reads these anyway>
Hemitheon
Reviewer

Post by Hemitheon »

Here's a nutty one for Seht. How bout the people of a nearby village was starving so he sawed off his own two legs and fed them. That'll explain why Seht has two metal legs.
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

:lol: I actually burst out laughing when I read that! I love it! :]
<insert witty signature here. i might spend time trying to come up with something, but its not like anybody reads these anyway>
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Jale wrote:The only problem with 'Foresight' is that it implies prophesy, which invariably is Sotha Sil's domain. I would rather it be called prudence or something.
Well, here's the quote from the shrine when it talks about foresight (this is when you make a succesful donation, rather than just leave it, whereupon you're given the history lesson: see start of this thread for that bit)

"The Shrine of Foresight: Through her foresight, Almalexia knew to be merciful to the Underking, who would prove useful in the future. In our own lives we should not act in haste against our enemies, but instead judge what use a humbled foe might have."

If you want to tinker with that to get it less Sehty, do it ASAP, so that I can make the fix in my Tribunal questline.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Jale
Developer

Post by Jale »

Just change to wisdom, prudence or intuition. Far less prophetic, which even Ayem admits is Seht's game.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Changed to 'Wisdom'.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Macar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Macar »

Shrine of Inviguration: Here marks the spot where Seht sat down once to catch his breath after he had got swimming. Legend says that he ate a penutbutter and jelly sandwitch.
NEW MEMBERS: I'm not with TR anymore, so please stop PMing me. Just post your sample work in the showcase.
[url=http://www.realmsofrenth.com][img]http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/3020/banner3er0.jpg[/img][/url]
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

To keep this thread going so hopefully we get some great ideas for pilgrimages, I'll create my own list based off Jale's. :]

Merit of Learning
Donation: Kwama Egg
Story: As a child, Sotha Sil was orphaned when his parents were killed in fighting with the Dwemer/Nords (I don't know if his parents were dead or not, I'm assuming so). Rather than risk Sotha Sil being killed with him, the house elders of House Sotha sent him to some village to be raised safely. There he quickly learned everything from the village wise people, healers and elders. He took to wandering through the wilderness and there learned what few ever learned from the creatures and plants around the village.
(No, I don't really like this one)

Merit of Understanding
Donation: not Scrap Metal
Story: Sotha Sil's reputation as a learned mer had spread far, and word had reached the ear of the Dwemer Clan chief of the Daedric ruin in which the shrine is. The chief decided to put the Chimer in their place as intellectual lessers of the Dwemer and devised a plan to humiliate Sotha Sil. He invited Sotha Sil to the ruin with the offer of teaching him their tonal craft if Sotha Sil could pass the standard Dwemer test: the Test of Pattern, the Test of Disorder, the Test of Evasion. However he withheld the crucial piece of information required to pass the test. Sotha Sil came and appeared stumped, but he read the face of the chief and saw the missing clue, and so passed the three tests. The chief was angry that he passed and refused to keep his word so Sotha Sil confronted and argued with him until the chief submitted, and so passed the final Test of Confrontation.

Merit of Ingenuity
Donation: Scrap Metal
Story: Sotha Sil released the mechanical Dreugh on the Dwemer

Merit of Acceptance (?)
Donation: Gold Kanet flower
Story: Following the Battle of Red Mountain, the Chimer were cursed into the Dunmer by Azura. Sotha Sil descended from Red Mountain and at Old Ebonheart a crowd of Dunmer had assembled, angry and afraid of what had become of them. Sotha Sil comforted the crowd and taught them it was a rebirth into greatness. Then his skin changed colour to ash and his eyes to red, and the Dunmer were comforted and so came to accept and pride their new appearance.
(IMO if Sotha Sil has a shrine, this would be it. This event was pretty the pinacle of his godliness and his importance with the common folk)

Merit of Reliability
Donation: Potion of Bargain Restore Health
Story: After Mehrunes Dagon razed Mournhold-Almalexia, Sotha Sil tended to Lexie's wounds
Harke the Apostle
Developer

Post by Harke the Apostle »

Merit of Tears

One day Sotha Sil went pearl-diving with a friend. Sotha Sil saw a particularly large clam and swam towards it. While Sotha was distracted, the Dreugh who carried a grudge toward him lethally wounded his consort. Sotha chased them off and brought his friend to the shore, but it was too late as the friend had already died. He burried the body, and the pearl that had the shape of a tear with it.
At the place where he did this a shrine was built by the temple (prefarably with the tear-like pearl on display).
The pc has to dive for a pearl in Dreugh infested water and offer it to the shrine. (Or he can just offer one he bought elsewhere if he's a spoil-sport).

Merit of Swiftness

One day a child was cut off on a little island in a stream of lava. Sotha ran over the molten rock as fast as he could, then he carried the child back to safety. On the island is a shrine where you have to offer a standard potion of fortify speed.
Jale
Developer

Post by Jale »

Harke the Apostle wrote:Merit of Tears

Merit of Swiftness

One day a child was cut off on a little island in a stream of lava. Sotha ran over the molten rock as fast as he could, then he carried the child back to safety. On the island is a shrine where you have to offer a standard potion of fortify speed.
Are there even volcanos on the mainland? I didn't think there were. Sure, when he was a child the whole thing was one big area rather than an island and bay, but i think it would be a bit obtuse to get everyone to remember that.

Unless it is underground?
Hemitheon
Reviewer

Post by Hemitheon »

Merit of Acceptance:
"Sotha Sil comforted the crowd and taught them it was a rebirth into greatness. Then his skin changed colour to ash and his eyes to red, and the Dunmer were comforted and so came to accept and pride their new appearance. "

I don't thing Azura's curse affected Sotha Sil or Almalexia. Remember that in Tribunal Almalexia retained the skin color of the Chimer. I would assume that Sotha Sil also retained his. If anything Vivec was affected on only half of his body and I don't even think his skin color is attributed to the curse.

EDIT: Mind you, you could say that they were cursed, but by bathing in the power of the Heart of Lorkhan, they were healed.

Also, wouldn't the Shrine of Reliability connote weakness or mortality on the part of Almalexia? How can a god be wounded? I would also assume that Almalexia would turn to the Heart of Lorkhan for healing and not Sotha Sil. Why not instead say all the survivors fled somewhere and Almalexia and Sotha Sil healed them and revealed to them the rebuilt city as a gift of faith. :)
Jale
Developer

Post by Jale »

This was after fighting a daedric prince, and its well documented that Sotha Sil had to tend her.

That is, its in the 36 lessons of vivec a few times. I guess that bit would be glossed over in almalexia literature, though.

I would say they can control their own appearance - they are gods :D
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

Jale, that is indeed what I mean. The Tribunal, being now gods, got to chose their appearance. Almalexia in her pride remained the golden Chimer of old. Sotha Sil took the ashen appearance of the Dunmer with them to help them accept their new appearance. Vivec, the hermaphrodite, became half-gold half-ash.
Hemitheon
Reviewer

Post by Hemitheon »

True, maybe there can be another shrine where Almalexia and Sotha Sil were able to break the curse and restore their original looks.

Seht as a super pale Chimer:
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k315/Hemitheon/SothaSil.jpg
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

The curse never affected the Tribunal, since they were already gods when Azura cast it. (To punish the three of them she cursed the entire Chimer race instead. Yeah, a real bitch.)
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Hemitheon wrote:True, maybe there can be another shrine where Almalexia and Sotha Sil were able to break the curse and restore their original looks.

Seht as a super pale Chimer:
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k315/Hemitheon/SothaSil.jpg
I thought that's what a dead (i.e pale) Dunmer looked like.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Jale
Developer

Post by Jale »

Also he hasn't been out in the sun in a long time.

Maybe he liked being pale anyway?
Hemitheon
Reviewer

Post by Hemitheon »

Well in the end, their skin color doesn't make much difference. We can chock it up to their divinity. Just cut out the part about Sotha doing the chameleon and there you go. He simply consoled them. Or maybe to intensify that, people were so fearful of this change that many assumed the gods had abandoned or cursed them so they were gonna kill themselves and Sotha came just in time and revealed to them that this "curse" was in truth a blessing. I mean it's only a curse if you agree that Almsivi murdered Nerevar and the Tribunal Temple denies this.
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

Hemitheon wrote:Or maybe to intensify that, people were so fearful of this change that many assumed the gods had abandoned or cursed them so they were gonna kill themselves and Sotha came just in time and revealed to them that this "curse" was in truth a blessing.
You just got it. :] That is pretty much what he did.

Azura punished the Chimer/Dunmer because the Tribunal used the heart to make themselves gods, not because they killed Nerevar. Who exactly killed Nerevar is up in the air, although Vekh and Vekh said that Vekh did it and Vekh did not.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

Hemitheon wrote:True, maybe there can be another shrine where Almalexia and Sotha Sil were able to break the curse and restore their original looks.
I could see this working for Almelexia, (except that I'd imagine that she never changed her skin colour in the first place), but Sotha Sil changed his original skin colour to comfort the dunmer and say that it is a blessing, a sign of change. How would the dunmer react if Sotha Sil changed right back to the nice, shiney chimer skin right afterwords? Even if they took it without losing some faith in the Tribunal, the dunmer wouldn't build a shrine to glorify it.
Nomadic1 wrote:Who exactly killed Nerevar is up in the air, although Vekh and Vekh said that Vekh did it and Vekh did not.
I thought that Almelexia, Sotha Sil and Vivec poisoned him by various means. Was this claim really contested? (Other than by Vivec, who probably had is own obscure reason for denying it, if he didn't just lie completely).
Harke the Apostle
Developer

Jale wrote: Are there even volcanos on the mainland? I didn't think there were. Sure, when he was a child the whole thing was one big area rather than an island and bay, but i think it would be a bit obtuse to get everyone to remember that.

Unless it is underground?
I just think we should have a Merit with lava, or even one with the boiling quicksilver(?) like there is in Clockwork City.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

There are valcanoes on the mainland, though I think that they're just supposed to be vents of Red Mountain. Actually there's one fairly well-known valcanoe: St. Somethings (Veloth's?).
Harke the Apostle
Developer

@ Gnomey: That does sound like the 'disaster-area' I had in mind.
Hemitheon
Reviewer

Post by Hemitheon »

I get it now!!! :D

Edit 1: You could put that lava shrine underground as silt and stuff has piled unto the original landscape possibly creating a cave. I can see the ruins of a very old Velothi town with a shrine on a small island amid the lava. Heck you could add that MB or MD turned a river into lava to punish the townsmen for destroying his temple or kill his murderous cult.
Jale
Developer

Post by Jale »

Fair enough, but personally I would save that for a later Mount-Kand parallel quest, rather than an initiation run.

Heck a whole indiana-jones style holy grail assault cause would be awesome :D
TheARRGH

Post by TheARRGH »

heys...new here. please pull no punches, even still...

maybe there should be a couple more shrine quests for Ayem and seht...for instance:

Virtue of loyalty
Location: some mountain, or in a place where ayem fought a brutal enemy
task: fight a horde of enemies with an ally who posesses an artifact that in your hands would win you the battle. Die, like in the puzzle canal. wake up.
Quote: "here ayem fought against evil, and stood by comrades, though as an immortal she could have used them as tools and claimed her own victory...Never forget the bond of loyalty"

Merit of Control
task: somehow keeping yourself under control...maybe an "auto-run" spell or something, with crushing machinery all around so you have to have fine control to avoid it? who knows...
Quote: "Control. Calm. balance. understanding of your own weaknesses. with these tools can you dance on the fires of oblivion and not recieve a burn."

sound good? i needs teh feedbacks....
There is more in heaven and earth, Horatio, than is dream't of in your philosophy.-The Bard

The fault lies not in our stars, but in ourselves, that we are underlings...-Julius Caesar, dialogue by The Bard
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

Ok, I think this has made good progress while I've been away. I like Nomadic's ideas for the most part (though I don't really find Jale's boring, the way some people have). I tend to really like small marginal details, however, and so may not be a good judge. Nomadic, do you have any suggestions for Ayem?

-Starcrunch
Razorwing

Post by Razorwing »

Lady Nerevar wrote:personaly, i love the sperm fighting thing :P how about having the player go into some dark cave and fight of the servants of Bal? and then place a nice note explaining the symbolism at the end :P

[stupid, but i just had to post it]
Umm. You realize people can now accurately quote you as saying "I love the sperm"?

j/k :P
Silgrad Tower
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

i could be quoted as saying worse things :D

(i love the way you show up on these forums to plant some sexual comemnt about me :P)
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
Razorwing

Post by Razorwing »

Lady Nerevar wrote:i could be quoted as saying worse things :D

(i love the way you show up on these forums to plant some sexual comemnt about me :P)
Dang, am I that obvious? Well you got me, it's the truth. Making lewd comments IS the sole reason I come here. Well, that and running forum searches for bikini shots of ya which I heard a rumor exist somewhere in this place. Summer's coming up so it's surely proper attire for the season *strokes his chin*

(all in good fun of course, I'm not being serious)
Silgrad Tower
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

The bikini pictures have been removed because Noir was to ashamed to loose to my amazing sexiness. However, I hear Haplo uploaded them some place else... and they do exist ;)

sometimes I wonder how I get myself into these awkward situations to begin with. but I suppose thats part of my enduring mod legacy.

At any rate, back to lore-ish-ness. I made a high monastery up in claim 3-36 (north eastern map3), mayhap it can be the setting for something special? I want to call it Valaam (or something similar to it) and shove a real world reference in there.
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
Infinitium

Post by Infinitium »

Shrine/Merit of tenderness (in a village close to the source of a river)

"In her travels Almalexia came across a village beset by a terrible drought brought upon them by [Daedric villain, possibly Molag Bal or Mehrunes Dagon]. Upon seeing the suffering of her people and hearing their pleas, Ayem drove her spear into the ground, creating a mighty well. The Daedra Lord, seeing this, called upon the burning blood of the land, boiling the water and bringing fire and destruction upon the Dunmer/Chimer (whichever fits).

Almalexia then formed a great cloud out of the resin of a Shalk, but the wicked Prince sent an ashstorm to befoul it, instead raining blight and suffering upon the Dunmer. Seeing this, Almalexia wept. At her feet a spring formed, pure as Her Lady's tenderness, growing into a mighty river that cooled the hot blood of the land and purged it of the blighted Ash, consuming the Daedra and banishing him from the land of Resdayn, thus giving solace to her people."

Offering: A bottle of water from the spring (Bought from Temple or gathered at the source with an empty bottle (script needed). It should put a long-term restore fatigue/health effect or simular on the player.

"Blessed be the tender heart, for it shall always lend me the strenght I need after my mind and arms fail me to do so."

Shrine/Merit of Unity (Need a better name for it, placed in the plains of southern morrowind?)

"On the great plains Almalexia found a group of Pilgrims being attacked by a pack of voracious Alit. As the mighty beasts decended upon the holy mer; Ayem instead offered her own flesh to the creatures, who sated their hunger on her holy flesh. The Pilgrims, offering thanks for her noble sacrifice, tried to tend her wounds, but Almalexia rose from the ground, no blood or wounds to be found, and spoke to them. This is what was said. "Let it be known that ALMSIVI is the essence and flesh of the Chimer, and the essence and flesh of the Chimer are ALMSIVI. Thus as long as one is, so shall the other. Be strong in your faith in our radiant light, and we shall stand watch for eternity. This has been spoken, and so it shall be." And the pilgrims rejoiced, as they knew as long as their faith were strong, no evil force would ever conquer the might that was Resdayn."

Offering: A piece of meat. Upon activation the shrine puts a mild damage health effect on the player whilst granting him a strong shield effect, reflecting the shared suffering of Almalexia and the divine protection granted.

"Blessed be our people, venerated the temple of the tribunal and praised be ALMSIVI, each one of us vulnerable, together no power in the world shall tear us apart, as we are one."

The Birthplace of the first Council (Location should be within the lore)

Here Saint Nerevar, guided by ALMSIVI, unified the Chimer and Dwemer into glorious Resdayn under the benevolent rule of the tribunal.

Offering: None, really. Maybe symbols of all the great houses and the Dwemer to symbolize unity; this could be a later temple pilgrimage in that case.

"Blessed be the memory of Saint Nerevar; may Resdayn last forever" (Or somesuch)
Last edited by Infinitium on Fri May 11, 2007 12:26 pm, edited 7 times in total.
blackbird
Reviewer

Post by blackbird »

Should we include chastity as a value for a shrine of the tribunal?
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

No, Dunmer are a little horny. Scrap that; extremely horny.
Jedak
Developer

Post by Jedak »

[quote="Nomadic1"]
Merit of Acceptance (?)
Donation: Gold Kanet flower
Story: Following the Battle of Red Mountain, the Chimer were cursed into the Dunmer by Azura. Sotha Sil descended from Red Mountain and at Old Ebonheart a crowd of Dunmer had assembled, angry and afraid of what had become of them. Sotha Sil comforted the crowd and taught them it was a rebirth into greatness. Then his skin changed colour to ash and his eyes to red, and the Dunmer were comforted and so came to accept and pride their new appearance.
(IMO if Sotha Sil has a shrine, this would be it. This event was pretty the pinacle of his godliness and his importance with the common folk)

Lore Problem here.

Most dunmer not know that Azura changed them from the chimer to dunmer. Only the Tribunal and thier highest ranking and most trusted members know that. If the normal dunmer know anything its that they changed in the past, but not why or how they changed.

This is were (supposedly) seht comforted the now Dunmer by telling them it was for their great victory and that it was a sign that the nation was powerful (ruled by gods). Baisically seht told them it was a good thing, not a curse.

Of course, after the main character finished the main quest, people would start to know these things; but I'm assuming that the shrine was built long before that.

:|
Macar: At last, I have a coleague to work with.

Lady N: Jedak-of-all-trades
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

What you said is pretty much what I said :lol: What I didn't say was what the Dunmer think and don't know, so that as we try coming up with possible pilgrimages we modders know the story, and the quest people can take it from there.
Jedak
Developer

Post by Jedak »

I get it.

Just trying to be helpful before I join! (or try, at least).

:tongue:
Macar: At last, I have a coleague to work with.

Lady N: Jedak-of-all-trades
RedoranMan
Location: New Mexico, USA (believe it or not it is part of the U.S.)

Dreugh Wax

Post by RedoranMan »

One Problem the Virtue of Faith shrine and the Seht's
Shrine of Vision is the offering is dreugh wax. But in Koal Cave, Dreugh Wax is also required for an offering.

Maybe druegh armour and weapons could be used instead, just for varity. Or for other waterside shrines, pearls or scales.
Username

Post by Username »

Umm. Dunno if thats the right place to post this, but i have a few questions about the Tribunal.

You have a city Almalexia on map 3 - is it connected to the official "Tribunal" addon city by a door of some sort?

Also i havent found Sotha Sil on your map 6 claim map, although it should be there near Narsis, where you have the Argon jungle.

It really would be great to have pilgrimages of Almalexia, but i hardly can imagine that Sotha would have something like that. I mean, he'd rather send his followers on some scientific/magic research than worship.