Models needed for Morrowind

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Jale wrote:Moving away from the stairs/shafts debate for a moment, I think that each town should have a pit of 'public slaves', owned by the lord of the town (also each town should have a lord...) that can be rented by the townfolk. This would enforce the slave theme without us having to make every little house geared up to holding slaves.
I like this idea a lot, but I'm with Nalin on the use of shafts.

For this idea, how does the player go about aquiring a slave? Papers, or something else?
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Jale
Developer

Post by Jale »

Pay the slavekeeper. Simple as. And I guess after a certain time of day, all of those slaves would return to the pit.

Or face their DOOM

I'm still gunning for shafts in manors. I would like to see the Dres houses as pretty close to the Redoran style: twisty, expansive underground manors, but built around a central atrium that has platforms you can levitate around. I'm talking more wide, tall halls with areas of barrier missing, and not really Telvanni tubes.

The reasons for underground construction are pretty simple: I'm pretty sure this is the traditional Dunmer way of life. Look at the strongholds: about 80% of those are underground. Velothi stuff...also a lot of construction underground. Then look at Redoran...very underground. Its like they got their ideas from the insects they revere, making hive-like housing. And nothing would be more hive-like than building around a big atrium.

Other reasons why underground buildings are appropriate for dres manors:
-Its colder undground, so the heat is avoided
-You only have to clear trees in a small area, and once you are below root level, its fine
-Buildings can be more unique: no need to build them all to the same exterior like with overground manors
-We can use a retextured redoran set for manors, so its not all Velothi rextexture.
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

Do you know how hard it gets to mix Velothi and Redoran pieces? We would be better off making a new, expansive, Dres tileset than retexing both and then editing the meshes so the columns, ceilings and walls are uniform.
<insert witty signature here. i might spend time trying to come up with something, but its not like anybody reads these anyway>
El Scumbago
Developer Emeritus

Post by El Scumbago »

Besides, Redoran set already includes velothi elements in it, more than a few. It's 50% velothi and 50% crab shell.
Nalin
Developer

Post by Nalin »

Nomadic1 wrote:Do you know how hard it gets to mix Velothi and Redoran pieces? We would be better off making a new, expansive, Dres tileset than retexing both and then editing the meshes so the columns, ceilings and walls are uniform.
I know there's been a lot of work done already for the dres and some modders here will doubtless want to lynch me for this - but I really think we need a new expansive Dres set. I really liked the old Dres look - do we still have the meshes? I know some people complained about the "futuristic look" of them - but I thought they looked fine - surely we could use them as a base if they're still around.

After much thought, I'm just not sold on using the velothi.
xeth-ban
Developer

Post by xeth-ban »

I agree with Nalin, like i often do with this....But the problem with a new Dres set now is the frustration of having to redo the Dres cities AGAIN.

Personally i would settle with a retextured Velothi set for Dres, using the colour schemes from the discared Dres set, possibly with some editing to the meshes to make the more unique....Like we have been discussing through the thread
Jale
Developer

Post by Jale »

Nomadic: Umm not hard actually, assuming you aren't trying to mix them in the same building. It would only require a couple of new bits for entrance halls

I too am pretty happy with retextured velothi, as long as the retexture is interesting. Personally I would replace the current domes with mottled glass ones, like this but a bit more like an insect eye:

[img]http://www.ragoarts.com/onlinecats/01.03AC/134.jpg[/img]

If we were to consider a new set, all we have to do is make sure it stays within the 'footprint' of the Velothi set and we wouldn't have too many problems with changes in city design.
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

I love that dome! :]

It seems like that it is kind of heading toward the ideal solution to the Dres tileset is either a Velothi retex or a new Dres tileset in the footprint of the Velothi. I still reckon the latter option is the better way.
<insert witty signature here. i might spend time trying to come up with something, but its not like anybody reads these anyway>
Nalin
Developer

Post by Nalin »

Nomadic1 wrote:I love that dome!
I really like it too - the semi translucent looking "bug eye" roof is a very good idea.

Still kind of feels like were settling for second best though - which in a way we have to - but still.
Jale
Developer

Post by Jale »

Which is why the manors should be really interesting to compensate :D
Harke the Apostle
Developer

Post by Harke the Apostle »

I really like this idea of the rich living below the poor in opulent underground manses. I could also see the odd vampire raising her living relatives there.

As for the domes, why not go for the complete Barbarellesque?
Jale
Developer

Post by Jale »

Harke the Apostle wrote: As for the domes, why not go for the complete Barbarellesque?
Because we don't know what the word means. Well done you. This definitely makes you honorificabilitudinitatibus.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

Harke the Apostle wrote:Barbarellesque
[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/ThrignarFraxix/barbarella.jpg[/img]?
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
CleverClothe
Developer

Post by CleverClothe »

It isn't that much work to replace the buildings in the Dres cities since there are no interiors done yet. Besides, we probably have a couple years before Map 6 gets to beta stage.

The hard part would be creating the models. If we have enough volunteers for that, I think we should go for it.
_________ E I
Claimed:.0 0
Review:...0 0
Finished:.2 5
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

Amen.
If new Dres tileset is to be used to replace current Velothi replacement I would welcome if it was:

A) Absolutely cool, lorewise, distinguishable from other houses yet, consistent in style, bringing new elements and fit to the environment.
B) Totally error-free and with an interior tileset of equal quality.
C) FPS friendly, modular, complex (not just few new highlight buildings to complement current meshes) and done in reasonable amount of time.

If you believe there are enough skilled modelers to fulfill these requirements then go for it and forget about Corkarah Rhun or whatever, but if not, all this talk is just a waste of time IMO.

I would feel silly if I had to scrap Corkarah Rhun just because somebody took Velothi meshes, stretched them here, flattened there, retextured them and added few addons.

And I also believe Necrom meshes have priority over this if we do not agree to rebuild Necrom in say Indoril style, which would be bigger shame IMHO than not having any unique Dres architecture at all.
THEO
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

I think making an entirely new architecture set for House Dres is out of the question. The amount of work required isn't worth it when we're stretched so thin as it is.
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

Speaking of Necrom, does anyone know how that's going?
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"How dare you question the colonnade!" - one of the Glorious Leaders

"Nemon + IKEA = creationism" - some guy

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
kebra
Developer

Post by kebra »

That makes four pages of blabla...

Ok, to answer the title of the thried, i need a mesh to replace the one used on the corner of the canal(Imp stone) and another is a retexturing work, the Int meshes i used as a column look to rich like, i would like something darker, not so flashy that this quite-ivory.
Attachments
BL_need2.jpg
BL_need1.jpg
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

What are the names of the meshes which need to be retextured, Kebra?
Nalin
Developer

Post by Nalin »

kebra wrote:That makes four pages of blabla
Isn't it all "blabla"? This is equally as relevant as any other thread here - it's brainstorming, it's problem solving, It's fun. That is the main reason we're here after all - because we enjoy this.
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

Is it too much to ask for a velothi chimney?
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
Lud
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lud »

I agree with Morden that an entire of Dres architecture is an unrealistic proposition. However, I'd like to see some concepts of what we can do.....

Jale, I think that some of your ideas are good, but you're making things far too complicated. Slaves who love their madsters are a must however :)
"It’s all been such a mistake. We were once little shrew-like animals. That would be so much better."
-Ophelia Benson
kebra
Developer

Post by kebra »

To Morden:

.furn_imp_stoneblock_01
.in_v_l_bridge_02

Some others are to come, i just restored my old Oot, i can reopen those esp, i will make a list of, maybee, ten meshes.

To Nalin,

I was half serious, and, like Morden, i like some of the Jale propositions, just it's offtopic for me.

I have to confess that i'm bored to see the Oot reopen when BL finished. And after some Map6 cities restaured in the way of there autors.

We have to fixe on something definitively, for technical reasons, but also to respect the work done before us.
For exemple, i wouldn't like that TR kill one of my claims in some years, just because it could be more beautifull with the new one meshe.
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

I'd like to see something done with the architecture set, if for no other reason than to make it stand out from regular old velothi and give the Dres settlements a unique feel.

blackbird
Reviewer

Post by blackbird »

Does anyone has TES1 arena? So the person can take some screenshots of tear if possible?
I thought also that the old Mournhold style could help us.
Jale
Developer

Post by Jale »

All buildings, towns and so forth in Arena pretty much look identical. Its all just boxes.
kebra
Developer

Post by kebra »

Some others need:

.A meshe close to the Ex_vivec_w_e_01, a pillar of the same size, but with right walls, not lean and a littler basis.

.Right walls plain on all faces and a little set of plain meshes of all size and form could be welcome, things like floor or square or simple column forms...

.Rework the In_v_l_stairs_01 especially the vacuum part of the top.
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

Tyrion wrote:I'd like to see something done with the architecture set, if for no other reason than to make it stand out from regular old velothi and give the Dres settlements a unique feel.
I believe this can be done through using the Velothi meshes creatively and through unique urbanism, taking in account Dres culture and environment.
For examples you can have a look what Kingfish made of Redoran pieces in Kathor Dale or on Kebra's Blacklight, which is totally unique on sight using all Velothi pieces only. I will try to post screenies of my suggestions for some Velothi solutions as well.
Attachments
I do not remember towns in morrowinds with courtyard or enclosed gardens. Vivec walls and houses are perfect for this purpouse
I do not remember towns in morrowinds with courtyard or enclosed gardens. Vivec walls and houses are perfect for this purpouse
Velothi pit meshes can be used to blend interiors to exteriors smoothly, thus creating pits, atriums, archways, bridges, connections and cantons of several height levels. Whole city could be done in this style and look unique.
Velothi pit meshes can be used to blend interiors to exteriors smoothly, thus creating pits, atriums, archways, bridges, connections and cantons of several height levels. Whole city could be done in this style and look unique.
Here are some elements that can be used - living on the roofs, openair public places like markets, bridges, narrow and dark streets for slums and pits for slaves.
Here are some elements that can be used - living on the roofs, openair public places like markets, bridges, narrow and dark streets for slums and pits for slaves.
THEO
kebra
Developer

Post by kebra »

Really love the second one, that's a good idea for slaves, but also for a cover market, all a city could be build around this, with streets opening down to a half subsystem.

The Ex_v_foundation_01 used on pic1 could be retextured
too,to look like the other meshes of this set.

The only non Velothi meshe used in BL is the Ex_hlaalu_steps_04, that remember me that we need some Ext steps, long and thin.

I add Balsan Mar to the exemples, the Poha's slave pit is a master piece.(claim 6-26)
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

[url=http://img124.imageshack.us/my.php?image=balsanmar1lj5.jpg][img]http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/5274/balsanmar1lj5.th.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://img53.imageshack.us/my.php?image=balsanmar2hr1.jpg][img]http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/7646/balsanmar2hr1.th.jpg[/img][/url]

Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

Absolutely. I think there need to be no worries that Dres cities will not be memorable. I believe PoHa's slavepits are made from pits interior pieces as well.
I may put perhaps list of few another velothi interior pit meshes required (just variations on existing pieces already, like the corner pillar to make full circle atriums) that would complete fully modular town set and with those true miracles could be created.
THEO
kebra
Developer

Post by kebra »

Tyrion,about the chimney,i just find that in a Nemon claim, Bal Oroynyon, Map6. You can use the same in Velothi.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/9135/nemonchimneypr6.jpg
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

Wait, you mean they have the same peice for velothi?

And why does that house have five chimneys?

Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

good lord that chimney looks bad, even beyond the fact that is illogically shaped (chimneys shouldn't be )( shaped as that would create a bottleneck)
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

Yeah it sorta looks sketchy... how old is the claim?

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Probably not that old. But I'll fix any of that mess when we get to map 6, don't you worry :-) That's still a long time in coming, though. (Maps 4 and 5 are first after I finish Map 3!)
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Any word on the possibility of a "just Almalexia" (or just Sotha) triolith?

Also, looking at the temple of Almalexia in the new Map 3, we could also do with Tribunal Trioliths with each of the different Triunes on front (the other two still on the other two sides), so that we can use the 'Almalexia biased' triolith in her chapel, rather than having Vivec in pride of place, and the same goes for any further 'Almalexia biased' or 'Sotha based' sites.

Also, any hope of those other things I pointed out at the start of this thread, prior to this whole Dres architecture discussion?
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

The trioliths for new Temple styled "The Pilgrim's Path" quests if we dont already have them.

Jelle
Reviewer

Post by Jelle »

I was wondering if I can model & texture some of the objects you are discussing here, but I dont think I can realy participate in the discussion becouse I dont have very much knowledge about Morrowind lore. I dont know how many guys are already working on this but I would realy like to do some Morrowind-modelling like this.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Well, a nice easy introduction would be those Trioliths of mine. ;)

Not even really more than a retex. You know you want to! :D
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals