Spellbooks

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Pyroid

Post by Pyroid »

Still no reply, and I am getting slightly angry. I asked for the claim on these books, and you guys ignore me. Now I put up a poem, and nobody responds. It sort of rubbed off on this book. Take a look, this is the first in a number of volumes (most likely 2) for the drain skill spell...

(Untitled) v.1
Written by (Dunmer name, couldn't find a good one)

Meltin sat quietly in a meditative posture, shins touching the floor, elbows resting on his thighs, and his head lolling loosely backward on his neck. His eyes rolled back in their sockets as he sunk into his trance, desperately seeking a solution to this chaotic dilemma.

What had he been thinking? Why had he accepted Jared’s challenge? Was it the headstrong brashness of his people, the Dunmer? Or was it something more? Something deeper?

Yes, it was definitely something more. It was the envy, the jealously he had felt toward his older brother Jared. Since childhood these feelings had only intensified, and turned into… what? Rage? Anger? Even hate?

Whatever it was he felt, it was no mystery to anyone, mostly because Meltin did not bother to hide it. So why had his bull headed brother come to challenge him? Because he had found a new confidence in his younger sibling? Somehow Meltin doubted that.

Was it because he knew he was going to win? Because he was trying to mock Meltin, bringing him out again to the competitions just so he could show he was superior? A brief, searing flood of fury boiled up within him, but Meltin quickly subdued it, stashing it away as he always had.

Things like that had happened before, he knew. He remembered his first competition. Just thinking about it brought a surge of blood to his cheeks.

He sank deeper into his trance, reliving the moment. It was almost noon. Five wooden targets glared at him from across the vast field. He looked to his left, and saw the other four archers lined up, looking at Jared’s target with something like love. He had hit the target directly in the center, not once, but twice, and the second arrow had split the first in half. The other targets, belonging to the other three competitors, had two arrows somewhere in the middle area, but none on the bulls-eye. Meltin’s target had one arrow on the bulls-eye, and it was time for his final shot.

The smell of sweat was heavy on the air. The tension was everywhere, an obtrusive thing, engulfing everything, pervading the minds of every onlooker. Meltin sighted down his drawn bowstring, looking carefully down the length of the arrow. Oh, how much there was that depended on this shot. His dignity. His honor. His pride.

But more important than all of those, the respect of his father. The attention that Meltin had longed for all of his life, the approval he had always sought after. Jealousy snaked up within him, a powerful serpent that tightened its grip around his heart. He would make this shot, and bring honor to himself, and to his family.

For my ancestors, he thought, secretly hoping for their assistance, and fired. Then everything seemed to go in slow motion. There was a twang as the bowstring flicked forward, then smacked into the arm guard that Meltin wore. Everyone suddenly tensed as the smack reverberated across the field, the small sound somehow amplified to the slamming of a vault door. The whiz of the arrow as it flew, slicing through the heated noontime air.

As the arrow approached the target, Meltin’s blood suddenly went cold with horror. The arrow had missed completely. Instantly there was a surge of laughter, blatant and unmerciful laughter, mixed with cheers and congratulation for Jared. Meltin had turned towards his brother, and that idiot had been laughing as well, sneering at his younger brother, holding his bow over his head in triumph as Dunmer surged out of the stands to pick him up over their heads.

That was when Meltin’s darker thoughts had begun. His black little fantasies of revenge. That was when he had started considering the offer that the Dark Man had given him after the contest. And in the end, he had accepted. Rather happily in fact.

The Dark Man had sensed the hate within Meltin, and he had liked it. It was a tool he said, that could be used to accomplish great things… terrible, yes, but great. He had taken Meltin under his wing, given him his undivided attention and approval. He was very pleased with Meltin’s progress in the Dark Arts.

“You are intelligent my child,â€Â￾ the Dark Man had said. “You will be great if you set your mind to it. You will be greater than any of us can foretell. But do not use this gift to settle petty disputes. You must use the hate, then release it, for if not, it will destroy you, and those around you.â€Â￾ Meltin had listened silently, nodding his head at the appropriate times and the Dark Man’s brief advice turned into one of his hour long lectures. But when the Dark Man spoke of this, Meltin’s brain seemed to turn off. He simply refused to listen. Even if he wanted to, he didn’t think he could. The hate didn’t allow him to.

He came slowly out of his trance, rubbing his temples as it faded. Now he knew why he had accepted Jared’s challenge. There was no use denying it any further, denying his purpose all along. His brother would pay. He would lose, as Meltin had lost years ago. He would be laughed at, and scorned, and rejected.

Meltin smiled darkly within his study, coming to his feet. He lit the candles silently and patiently, slowly finding the peace of mind that he would need to make his plans. As he finished, he sat down on his desk, mopping his brow with a small rag and reaching for his pen and ink. He drifted off for a moment, reaching into the recesses of his mind.

The plan had really been there all along. It was there since he was an apprentice, and now he would carry it out. He dipped his pen lightly in the ink well, and began to write very neatly, in large, ominous runes. Daedric runes...
Last edited by Pyroid on Sun Sep 07, 2003 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arcadea
Developer Emeritus

Post by Arcadea »

I lik it. Not everyn one is on every day or even in a week so time and patience become virtu7es
I said I would return and I may have been right. The past must stay in the past as agreed. If the core needs me or has a job for me just ask for now I watch and write.

Former Moderator of the Core.
Was once called the Sotha Sil of the core.
Earl
Developer Emeritus

Post by Earl »

"He had taken Meltin under his wind"

Spellchecker wouldn't catch that one.
Cool to see someone do a Summon spell. I've been banging my head against a wall trying to think of ways to do those and the other "group" type spells (like the Bound Anything set, Resist Anything, Weakness to Anything, et al.)
Lord_Gallant is a busy guy these days. Real life stuff.

By the way, what spells (if any) are added in Tribunal / Bloodmoon?
Isn't there a Summon Fabricant spell?

Anyway . . . A short little thing:

(Bound Gloves)
Hands Off
By Farglos

"Those little things?" the thief laughed, "I know what the old legends say, but surely they were
not serious about that. Look at them!"

His fellow thief studied the Bal Molagmer gloves, and shrugged. "Maybe they're magical. Maybe
the Bal Molagmer really used something else. Maybe it was all just made up. I don't know. All I
do know is that I'm not going to put my hands in these, and stick them in the lava. I just don't
want to find out that badly, I suppose."

The first thief shook his head in agreement. "Now these, I would trust." He waved his hands
about as he summoned a pair of bound gloves. The two thieves admired the dark design of the
gloves, tinted red by the glow of the lava. As the first thief reached toward the burning blood of
mountains, his fellow offered a word of warning:

"Those things, they have daedra in them. I don't know if they feel anything, but it doesn't strike
me as a good idea to go out of your way to . . ." He trailed off, as the first thief plunged his hands
into the inferno. He pulled them out, seconds later, laughing.

"See? My hands feel fine. No dark tricks from bound daedra." He reached into the pool of lava,
and scooped out a handful. "See? Do you hear my gloves scream in protest? I do not. Could those
Bal Molagmer gloves do this? I think not." He laughed a few moments more before his mirth
gave way to agony.

The first thief had forgotten the duration of his spell; when the bound gloves were called back to
Oblivion, the lava he held simply fell onto his bare hands.

And my next big round of claims:

Blind - will be pretty light-hearted and kidsy
Burden - should be combat-heavy
Cure Paralyzation - should come off pretty humorous
Night Eye - will probably be bland; can't think of any unconventional use
Sanctuary - light-hearted
Water Breathing - this will be the darker and more serious
Last edited by Earl on Sun Sep 07, 2003 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have kleptomania, but when it gets really bad, I take something for it.
Inferno_str1ke

Post by Inferno_str1ke »

i really hope that pepl choose to actually read these, rather than just open, learn and close. they seem too fantastic to go to waste. have u any method of making pepl have the book open for a certain time, meaning they will read it?
Last edited by Inferno_str1ke on Sun Sep 07, 2003 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
M1ke
Pyroid

Post by Pyroid »

It is definitely possible to delay the effect, but it is not possible to make them have the book open to get the effect... It would just happen anyways. And even though these books are excellent, I think that it should be up to the player as to whether or not (s)he wants to enrich his or her gaming experience, and read some high quality short stories...
Pyroid

Post by Pyroid »

Now I would like to claim Silence, Poison and Charm.

I am still finishing up the Drain Skill one (completing volume 2, and I still need a good Dunemr author name for it, as well as a title for the book, help people? I'm not familiar with proper Dunmer names...) , and I have completed the Summon Skeletal Minion spell...
Last edited by Pyroid on Sun Sep 07, 2003 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord_Gallant
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lord_Gallant »

Please accept my deepest apologies, Pyroid! I didn't have Internet access all of Sunday, so I am very sorry about not responding immediately. You may certainly have Poison, Silence, and charm. Summ Skel I will marked as finished (nice job, by the way, I like poems) and Drain Skill as claimed.

Earl, I will put your claims down as well and mark Bound gloves as complete. As for your question, Tribunal and Bloodmoon added a Summon Fabricant, Summon Bear, Summon Wolf, and Summon Bonewolf spells. These spells I wasn't intending to include, but if you want to add them I don't see why not. The only one I have a real problem adding is the Summon Fabricant, since it seems like only Sotha Sil could have the info to make those. Plus it would make Barlizar's Ring less useful.

Inferno, I don't think that there will be any mechanism to *force* the player to read these. As Pyroid said, what the player gets out of this is their own affair. Many of the skill books are also very entertaining to read, but most people just open and close those too. It is a shame, but for the ones who learn to stop powergaming Morrowind and enjoy it are going to appreciate the effort that was put into these stories.

Arcadea, thank you for your Lock and Open contribution!
Last edited by Lord_Gallant on Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trudging through the relentless Skyrim snowstorms, the lone Paladin looks on in sorrow as the land of Tamriel evolves without him; his mind occupied with other matters.
Earl
Developer Emeritus

Post by Earl »

(Blind)
A Mother's Diary
By Gancietia Ergalla

[excerpt]

In days past, when our family lived in Cyrodiil, we enjoyed and took for granted simple Imperial
traditions. Upon arrival in Morrowind, I often found myself disappointed at the stern and dour
nature of the local Dark Elves; they lacked many of our familiar customs, and when exposed to
them, the Dunmer would dismiss them as frivolous. So sad, to live a life so long, and devoid of
fun.

Rather than give in to their impassiveness, I stayed the course, and tried to adapt the customs of
our homeland to something our new neighbors could relate to. Some of these attempts fared
better than others, but I think one in particular did very well.

It would soon be Heart's Day (16th Sun's Dawn, as anyone in Tamriel could tell you), which just
so happened to be the birthday of my neighbor's son. I took Craelia, his mother and a fellow
Imperial, into my confidence in planning the celebration. She was delighted with the idea.
Because Cyrodiilic pack animals are virtually unknown in Morrowind, I improvised on the old
game, making it "Pin the tail on the Guar".

As my children and Craelia's played, Dunmer youngsters looked on in incomprehension. After a
few minutes, one of the Dark Elven children inquired politely if he could play as well. Once one
of them joined, a small group of others tentatively came over. I knew full well that they had
probably been instructed by their parents to do so - the children were all of House Hlaalu, and
were likely just trying to curry favor by appearing closer to the Empire. But as my idea had been
a success, I didn't think too much of it.

An hour or two had passed, when one child complained that another was cheating. The bickering
grew in volume, and was finally enough to attract one of the older Dunmer. He stood silently,
listening as one Dunmer child accused another of peeking from under the blindfold. He sighed,
and without a word placed a hand across the offending child's eyes.

"It will be fair now, if this is how you want to spend your time." He said, "If only to practice my
own skill, I will cast blind on whichever of you asks."

The children smiled, to have the odds evened. I smiled myself; I had thought that the Hlaalu
would either permit or demand their children play, but I never expected an adult among them to
be obviously supportive of it, even in a backhanded fashion.

I was thinking, if m0use.net ever comes back up, and the old thread is still intact. . . what would be done about the old Lock book? Would it still be part of the spellbooks, and just have a higher/lower magnitude than Arcadea's? Or would it be added to Books of Tamriel, without the spellbook script? Because if it can be retrieved, it really is too good not to use somehow.

I was also thinking. . . a lot of these books will have Morrowind as a setting. Which is all well and good while TR is still building Morrowind. But in a few years, how much sense would it make to find a Vvardenfell-based book in Valenwood? Especially things like notes and journal pages shouldn't be too far from the home province of the author. It would seem weird if all of the spellbooks are found in or around Morrowind, or are even based mostly in or around it. In that vein, Arcadea's Lock book would be a good bet to place in any province, while Zombie's, IIRC, would be better placed in a more specific area.

So while writing material for stories already covered wouldn't be a priority (especially at this stage), they shouldn't be too discouraged either, if they could be placed in provinces other than the first story of that effect.

"I don't think that there will be any mechanism to *force* the player to read these."

Could the spell-learning script be set to trigger only at a certain page? That would be cool, just because it would be unexpected. Of course, some of these are going to be one-pagers. . . Then again, adding an Intelligence requirement would cut down on open-and-closes too. . .
Arcadea
Developer Emeritus

Post by Arcadea »

I'll see if thier are nay other that I can do thanks for looking at my work and the auther's name is Silver wing. Trust me.
I said I would return and I may have been right. The past must stay in the past as agreed. If the core needs me or has a job for me just ask for now I watch and write.

Pyroid

Post by Pyroid »

About what you said Earl, do you think it would be interesting to write a different set of spellbooks for each province, or would that be too much work? I enjoy it, as I'm one of those really wierd people who sort of enjoys modding more than playing :D...

I don't think that you could put a page trigger though.
Lord_Gallant
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lord_Gallant »

The idea of making another 700 books frightens me, for some reason:D. I mean, I am sure that there are some folks out there that would like to see this plugin completed *before* we finish all of Tamriel;). Considering that we have only about a fifth of the books finished, it would still be a well-varied selection if no one did anymore Morrowind-themed stories (except for things which obviously must be Morrowind based, like weakness to blight and cure corprus.)

Arcadea, do you mean that the author of those "open" and "lock" poems is Silver Wing?
Trudging through the relentless Skyrim snowstorms, the lone Paladin looks on in sorrow as the land of Tamriel evolves without him; his mind occupied with other matters.
Arcadea
Developer Emeritus

Post by Arcadea »

Yes he is a charicter for a pluggin for TR I'm working on. Maybe some quests involved but's that's up to Rodan.

Lord_Gallant
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lord_Gallant »

I wanted to add some clarifications and a suggestion.

First, looking at the posts on page one, I saw some confusion over the way Intelligence requirements would work. Basically, the spells will require somewhere between 30 and 150 Intelligence to learn from a book, depending on their power. This Intelligence requirement can be met using temporary Fortify Inteligence effects, and these will be (obviously) required for some of the effects. Things like Restore Fatigue and Light will require only a 30 or 40, whereas Cure Corprus and Summon Golden Saint effects could require a 140 or 150 Intelligence.

Also, there may be some people who are unclear as to the exact mechanics of how this will be done. So, I am going to post a sample script, which will be placed on the spellbook for Absorb Fatigue:

Begin bookspellabsorbfat

if ( player->getspell "absorb fatigue" == 1 )
Return
endif

if ( OnActivate == 1 )
if ( player->GetIntelligence >= 60 )
Player->AddSpell "absorb fatigue"
MessageBox "You have learned a spell effect from this book."
Activate
else
MessageBox "You cannot understand how this spell works."
Activate
endif
endif

End

Next, what would you say to this:
I like the idea of daedric font in these spell books. What if we put a 5-10 line section of daedric font either at the end (or possibly in the middle) of each story. It seems to me that learning an actual spell effect would require certain information that you couldn't get from a mere story. This could come in the form of a completely unreadable daedric set of "instructions" in somewhere in each book.
Last edited by Lord_Gallant on Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pyroid

Post by Pyroid »

That sounds like a good idea to me. Or maybe at the end of each book that you can understand, it will say in parenthesis: You find a set of Daedric Runes behind the book cover. Then it will determine whether you can understand it or not. This way all of OUR books will be distinguished from all of BETHESDAS books...
Earl
Developer Emeritus

Post by Earl »

I dunno.

Sticking in Daedric would be out of context in the stories. The author would either already know the spell, or not know it (having merely observed it). So there would either be no point for them to add a spell to learn (since they already know it), or they wouldn't know how to do it. And some effects, if included in a book so blatantly as to add a Daedric how-to, would probably get them banned (would YOU want a Weakness to Corprus spellbook to be commonly distributed?).

Considering that Morrowind locals, at least, would be familiar with Daedric, it wouldn't be like adding a secret message. And based on the Daedric on scrolls, it's not there to tell you anything about anything, rather it just looks cool.

Besides which, the skill books, as far as I remember, aren't really how-tos either. They're just someone doing something related to the skill, not "Okay apprentice, grip the sword like this, and swing from your hips, arcing the blade down and to your left". They're anecdotal, not informative.

And lastly, "Secrets of Dwemer Animunculi". It contained no Daedric, just schematics. And how in the hell does knowing how a Centurion Sphere works help you summon one from thin air?

I think adding Daedric would look artificial, and is unnecessary.
Lord_Gallant
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lord_Gallant »

All good points. Keep in mind that I don't actually suggest that you plant them in the body of the text. Merely that they could be found by the player somewhere (like, as Pyroid said, on the book cover). I do agree with you that this would be sort of out of context with several of the stories, however.

Two points I must argue: one, the spellbooks that do things like weakness to corprus disease would be exceptionally rare anyway (not commonly distributed). Secondly, daedric runes are merely a way for use to hide the fact that we have no idea how to cast a magic spell! It could certainly be read by the "character" in the game, but the actual player will be in the dark as to the steps his/her character reads in the runes.

Maybe we should make a poll? Or is this not a possibility in the new forum?
Earl
Developer Emeritus

Post by Earl »

Actually, the book could be quite common. In fact, many of the more powerful or potentially unbalancing books could be made fairly common without worries. The main factors in commonality should be:
1) how useful the spell would be
2) how powerful the spell learned is
3) how high the Intelligence requirement is

Using Weakness to Corprus as an example. . .
It is not a useful spell, even when it's powerful through the roof. If the book gives you the spell at 100% for a long duration, it's not unbalancing, and it would justify a higher INT requirement. A non-useful spell like that, with a high INT requirement could be distributed fairly widely. Especially if you take out the
MessageBox "You cannot understand how this spell works."
part. Maybe it would play better to have different levels of INT requirement; one to learn the spell, one to even realize that there's something to learn, and the last for the whole idea to be over the player's head.

Basically. . .
50 INT - "You have learned a spell effect from this book."
40 INT - "You cannot understand how this spell works."
30 & Below - No message at all

If the INT requirement for Weakness to Corprus is set to something like 60 or 70, it could be reasonably expected that the publishers or general population would never know there was anything more than a sad story, so the book could be fairly common.

Summon Golden Saint, on the other hand, would be unbalancing even if the book had a high INT requirement, so it should be very rare.

I understand what you're getting at, using the Daedric covering what we don't know. . . but the fact that Daedric can be translated and understood, and that there are people who look that stuff up undermines it. Making it mostly pointless.

You can't make a pool in this forum [just checked].
Maybe in the Tavern. . . ?
Lord_Gallant
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lord_Gallant »

Ah, but the daedric *language* is entirely different from the daedric *alphabet*. Lots of people have access to the translation of the daedric alphabet, but the daedric language has never been released. Therefore, if we assumed that the instructions were in the daedric language, it would still make sense. Besides, if you look at the scrolls, the vast majority of them say "Woe to you".

I do like that Intelligenge idea though.
Inferno_str1ke

Post by Inferno_str1ke »

sicne they are spell books y not out the symbol of that magic strand on the front (u know, the symbols in the magic section of the game manual) thatd be good. and i suppose the daedric would be good, i mean the daedra are the gods and surely all magic comes from the gods
M1ke
Lord_Gallant
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lord_Gallant »

Magic is all derived from "strands from Oblivian", as you will learn if you read that report you get from the mage guild mission to escort a high elf to Pelagiad.
Pyroid

Post by Pyroid »

Just to update, I'm almost done with the second book of the Drain Skill series. It's actually going to be three books, now that I really look at it.

Poison, charm, and silence are still in the process of brainstorming. I am planning something twisted for silence, and charm, but I am unsure of poison...
Lord_Gallant
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lord_Gallant »

Maybe a good assassination story for poison! I've always liked those!
Pyroid

Post by Pyroid »

Thats very convenient, because I have a very sinister mind for story writing, and I have laways been good at assassination stories! (or so I have been told... you will soon judge for yourself)

Just give me a good plot or incident to write on, becuase I usually take very long on these, trying to make them very complicated.

Or, if you don't mind the time delay, I could just write up the plot myself... :brew:
Last edited by Pyroid on Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arcadea
Developer Emeritus

Post by Arcadea »

It was a dark and drier night in the castle of Ebonheart. Treacher was afoot and A noble was out to get Duke Dren for he was to reape bounty.

Rember in morrowind when Drens brother wanted him murdered. That would make a good plut but have it be written years before in a different place with different people and I think it would be good. just a thought.

Lord_Gallant
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lord_Gallant »

Another possibility would be something sort of funny, yet grim. Like the guy in Mudan Grotto who accidentally drank his bottle of deadly poison instead of his restore health potion! Something like that would be good, too. Just remember that it must have something to do with spell-created poison and not just normal poison.
Assassinace
Developer

Post by Assassinace »

I am not the one to ask for a good story however could I request that when someone gets the chance they make the summon scamp book as that one I would like to use in my claim.
Earl
Developer Emeritus

Post by Earl »

(Cure Paralyzation)
Still Image
By Murgok-gro-Gurzong

Never distant ventured from my lord
Loyal servant was I
Questioned him not, always adored
I was my own why

Struck low was he
Paralyzed forever it appeared
My skill was great, so how could it be
I cast spells to cure, but no recovery neared

I wept myself to sleep every night
How could my failure be so deep? How to resolve my plight?
I asked my lord to guide my hand
To give me a remedy he had planned

Silence was the response, of course
Being paralyzed, my lord's voice had no force
And the question remained:
With my ability, why was the cure so hard to obtain?

One night, at the brink of exhaust
I gave my lord closer inspection, and all was lost
Finally I noticed what had stymied
The fault was not my skill, not my deed

For after seeing my lord so close I saw
That my lord was not paralyzed at all!
My embarrassment grew, and I left my lord alone
For my lord had not been a man at all, but finely crafted stone!

I tried it in non-poem form, but it just didn't sound right.
Arcadea
Developer Emeritus

Post by Arcadea »

I didn't see if any one claimed this. If they did all add it to books of Tamriel.

Telekenesis
Silver Wing

It is close,
Yet so away,
I must get the most,
Let it be none to nay.

My mind I will use,
For the task at hand,
Yet for my magic I hope not to lose,
I will be away from this land.

I’m gone from that place were I need my magic,
Stealing things from not close to me,
I hope not to be tragic,
I hope now to flee.

Here.
Last edited by Arcadea on Fri Sep 12, 2003 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord_Gallant
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lord_Gallant »

Arcadea, you gotta do things in order! Claim telekinesis beforehand and it will ensure that no one else does. As it happens, Telekinesis was not claimed. I only have one problem with your poem, and that is the line "I hope to not to be tragic".

Assuming that line is altered, Telekinesis and Cure Paralyzation are considered complete and will be put on the list!

You know what is funny about cure paralyzation? There is only one use for the spell effect, and that is curing someone else of paralyzation!
Last edited by Lord_Gallant on Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arcadea
Developer Emeritus

Post by Arcadea »

I would like to claim these. Absorb Atribute, Absorb Health, Absorbe magic, absorb skill Almsi Intervention Calm Creature, Calm Humaniod.

Lord_Gallant
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lord_Gallant »

Consider it done! But I must ask you to wait on that Absorb Magicka. I'm not sure if it will be added yet. It is a potentially highly unbalancing spell. Just do the others first and if it is ever decided that Absorb Magicka will make it into the SpellBooks, you will be called on to do it!

Oh, I will not be able to access these forums until Monday, so if I am not able to respond to anyone, please do not be angry with me.

You hearin' me, Pyroid!?:)
Last edited by Lord_Gallant on Fri Sep 12, 2003 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arcadea
Developer Emeritus

Post by Arcadea »

can I claim other once I'm done or do you want me to claim them now. I'm almost done with the ones I claimed.

Lord_Gallant
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lord_Gallant »

You can claim more spell effects if you want to, but I won't be able to post them until Monday when I get back, since I am leaving now. Just remember not to claim any of the effects marked with an "*", as these are special cases. Or, if you do claim one of these, do NOT work on it until I give you the go-ahead, since your work could be wasted if it isn't included.

So, just claim your effects here and I will post claims on Monday in the order in which I see them on the forum.

See-ya!
Arcadea
Developer Emeritus

Post by Arcadea »

also these. Fire damage, Resit fire, shield, Levitate.

Inferno_str1ke

Post by Inferno_str1ke »

are there currntly any books for summoning weapons? if there is one going i would like to claim it
Last edited by Inferno_str1ke on Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
M1ke
Earl
Developer Emeritus

Post by Earl »

None of the Bound Weapons are claimed, so that field is wide open.

Lord_Gallant has a post on page 2 with the status of each spell.
Lord_Gallant
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lord_Gallant »

Alright, I'm back!

Arcadea gets Fire Damage, Resist Fire, Shield, and Levitate.

Inferno, you say you want bound weapons, do you want to be specific or did you mean that you wanted all of the bound weapons series?

From what it looks like, the Weakness effects, Resist effects, Summon Creature effects, and the Bound Item effects seem to be the least claimed. Anyone willing to take a crack at one of these categories would be much appreciated!
Last edited by Lord_Gallant on Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dakkan

Post by Dakkan »

Well, Since I got lots of spare time in school, I've decided to claim Summon Flame Atronrachs if I can.(I definatly missplelled that.....)
Last edited by Dakkan on Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
(Day-kin)
Lord_Gallant
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lord_Gallant »

Sure thing. Just make sure you spell "Atronach" correctly in your story!;)
Arcadea
Developer Emeritus

Post by Arcadea »

Here's a present from the old forums.

Hey, sounds good to me, jon! OK, here are the claimed (unavailable) spell effects for story making:

Lock (Zombie).........................................Completed
Almsivi Intervention (jon)........................Claimed
Weakness to Shock (jon)..........................Claimed
Command Humanoid (jon).....................Claimed
Drain Attribute (jon)................................Claimed
Light (jon)...............................................Claimed
Shock damage (jon)................................Claimed
Fortify Attribute (Earl)..............................Completed
Detect Key (Earl).....................................Completed
Chameleon (Earl)....................................Completed
Feather (Earl)...........................................Completed
Charm (Earl).............................................Claimed
Demoralize Creature (Earl).......................Completed
Restore Health (Earl)................................Completed
Paralyze (Earl).........................................Completed
Turn Undead (Earl)..................................Completed
Absorb Fatigue (Earl)...............................Completed
Drain Fatigue (Earl).................................Completed
Weakness to Corprus Disease (Earl)..........Claimed
Slowfall (Earl)..........................................Completed
Disintegrate Armor (Earl)..........................Completed
Swift Swim (Earl)......................................Completed

Olgol gro-Muk's Private Notes

[There are various entries in a hardly legible scrawl. You can only make out a few.]

16, Last Seed
Olgol hate damn Furnius. Proud Orc Leginarre serving great Emperor not meant to polish blades! Maybe he just making me mad, so I more better when I needed to smash bandits.

20, Last Seed
No smashing, but now I scrub floors? It not proper! If I had rank, I make Furnius scrub floor with head! But making floor pretty not going to help me do that. . .

1 Hearthfire
Some people think Orcs idiots and savages. But they are fools. Maybe I not as smart as Telvanni wizard, but I can write and read. Smarty Legionarre like Furnius should know better. I fix his wagon. Just need Plan. Like drop something heavy on his head when he make me change candles on shandoleer. If Furnius dead, I think I go up in rank.

5 Hearthfire
Plan not work. Miss Furnius, and make him angry. Now I have to fix floor stones I broke too. Damn! Need better Plan. . . I know I need Plan, but I need better one than I made. Can't ask for help. That treason. . . Maybe a spell. . .
17 Hearthfire
After much practice, I believe I have produced a reasonably effective spell to make myself more intelligent. Though after my experimentation, I realize that the effect will eventually wear off. And so I am left with a small puzzle: While I can undoubtedly come up with a foolproof plan, how do I go about making the plan simple enough for me to understand once I become invetiably duller? I cannot escape the feeling that, even if I were to cast the spell just prior to rereading the plan, it would not last long enough for me to see the plan through. And so I would probably, after much quiet brilliance, simply draw my axe in confused enthusiasm and try to kill smug Furnius. And be executed.
I no understand plan. At least, I think that plan I wrote when smart. It end with "executed". That not good plan. I try again tomorrow.

18 Hearthfire
I think I have arrived at a solution. Killing Furnius is now out of the question, as is apparent from yesterday's entry. More important is keeping myself alive. I fear that if I do not formulate a satisfactory plan soon, I will have to rely on myself not becoming frustrated enough to kill Furnius outright. And I cannot rely on that. And thus my solution: To keep myself alive, I must turn myself in to the guards. I have plotted murder, but failing to fulfill those plans, I might escape the gallows. Rolling the dice in that way is surely better than depending on my own limited intellect. The contents of these notes should be enough to have me jailed. So, keeping it simple. . .

The Plan:
- Give guard book. He help.
- Keep axe home. Guard do all work.
- Do what guard say. He help you follow good plan.

[This was the last entry. Apparently, Olgol's plan worked]

If that is satisfactory, I've got an idea for Detect Key (which isn't the simple "guy lost his keys" sort).

Nice Earl "TYPE=PICT;ALT=:)"Jon like, jon like. hehe... I'm done now.

My Tentative plans are to take as mutch time as I like, (letting the creative juices flow, you know) and create the following set at least for the spark related effects:
- The Adventures of Tathas v. I
- The Adventures of Tathas v.II
- The Adventures of Tathas v.III (Possibly)
- The Adventures of Tathas Avius Lustrum
- 2-5 Assorted letter concerning his life
- 1-10 Manuscripts relating to his life.
The Avius Lustrum is to be completed when you compile a certain combination of the manuscripts and letters then deliver them to the author of the original three Ciprus Baefal. It will have the most powerful spell by far. The original Adventure series will have weaker spark and/or weakness to spark spells. The Letters and manuscripts will have spells depending on their content. I may throw one of my other effects in there if it fits well enough.

Here's a peek at The adventures of Tathas son of Thalion Master of Spark and Lightening. Ciprus later reveals that some of the events he portrays are drawn largely from local myths as mutch as from primary source, so a few things are exagerated for stories sake. He mostly takes what bits and peices of information he can find about the adventurer and binds them into his stories. So in the end you end up with a book based in reality, with the obvious and inevitable educational value "TYPE=PICT;ALT=:)"