Rant of the Moment: Topic - Currency

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Haplo
Lead Developer

Rant of the Moment: Topic - Currency

Post by Haplo »

I am somewhat puzzled why there are different terms to the gold in TES III, as there are three (3), and maybe even more terms for the currency here;

there's GOLD, (referred to as gold because of the color) which is just a loose term, and the most common when there is not a number before or after it.

there's DRAKES, which is a term used when talking about any number of money inparticular, i.e. "lose a few drakes", or "100 drakes would keep 'im quiet, I think". (not sure, but I think this term was derived from the earlier term used by the greeks; drachma; plural - drachmas. pronounced drokma(s))

and

there's SEPTIMS, which is a term used when referring to specific amounts of money for official transactions. i.e. "here is your reward of 2000 Septims, or "I will pay 500 Septims for the capture of so&so."
(Septims is referred to as such because it is the emperor's gold, and the emperor at the time was Tiber SEPTIM. It is capitalized because Septim is the emperor's last name.)

Here ends my rant of the moment. TOPIC - Currency
---
please list any other terms, lore, or history about the currency of the empire here.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

also, would the beast races or maybe the wild elves use differing currency? Maybe the Argonian & Khajiit use minerals or something similar when gold is not available( as in Star Wars, republic credits are used for inner galaxy worlds, and for outer, Dennubian credits, or if none is available, crystalline vertex is accepted in both the inner and outer worlds.)

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

sterio

Post by sterio »

Possibly in some obscure places people might also use certain goods (such as minerals) but I don't think we should make that available for the player to use. I'd guess that drakes are an older term for money, which is therefore seldom used when talking about a special amount of money but is still there in sayings and such, and gold is probably an informal word used only because of the color of the coins. The only places that might not be using them would probably be in Elsweyr and Black Marsh, but Septims would be generally used in those provinces also...
Cep

Post by Cep »

I don't really see the reason to be confused.

Gold describes the coin, Septims are the official name of the currency and drakes are the nickname.

Like the British Pound, we call em nuggets because they are gold, the offical name is Pound Sterling and there are so many nicknames I can't list them all here.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

im just not sure which name came first, the drake or the Septim

sterio

Post by sterio »

I'm fairly certain it's Drake.
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

Historically, the 'drake' (alos Drachme) was the greek currency; in TES, I think, it is the general term of the money the imperials use. "Septims" refer to the current royal line; it was comon usage for the emperors of old to imprint their face on the currency as soon as they came to power (it would have to be "Uriels" then, but maybe in TES, it's the royal family whose coat of arms is imprinted into coins). As for gold, it's just a more sloppy term for money.

Most currencies that have been around for some time have developed a lot of names. Take the dollar, the pound (one of the oldest still circulating currencies), even the Euro has some nicknames already.

I don't think it's strange that TES 'people' refer to their currency by more than one name. In fact, it's all the more realistic, and IMO adds to the game's richness.
Elder Mod.

For now, I'm sleeping in my lightless city beneath the waves.

But someday ... I will be back.

Fthagn.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

that was very nice hermit, and also interesting to read stuff I already knew, but please, that still doesnt tell me which one came first, definitely.
Last edited by Haplo on Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Septim (being the official name of the currency) came first, Drake (no relation to the drachma) is a term derived from Tiber Septim's (as well as the empire's) ties to dragon-kind.
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

Hunh. You sure about that, Magnus? Is there an image of a dragon on the coin? That would connect the currency with the dragon. Otherwise, that would seem a tad bit far fetched for my taste.

It'd be interesting to know what money was called in the first era - Cyrodiilis?

And, haplo, err ... what?! :look:
Last edited by Hermit on Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elder Mod.

Fthagn.
sterio

Post by sterio »

That's an interesting idea Magnus, one that I've never seen before. It could well be like that, after all, why would the currency on Tamriel be nicknamed after a Greek currency in the real world. Or, what is also possible, Bethesda didn't give that word as much thought as we do :P
Sniper4
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sniper4 »

Septim= More official term, much like the "dollar" is to the U.S.

Drake= Nickname. Kind of like "bucks" to the U.S. Now where drakes came from, I don't know. But where did bucks come from :P?

<edit> Now that I think about. Hermit could probably find something to answer that. :P
Last edited by Sniper4 on Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Blast if I can't find anything official to substantiate my previous statement about the reasoning for the term drake. I'm beyond certain I've heard an explanation at least close to the one I gave in some authoritative context, but now I can't think of where (figures, memory has more holes than a good swiss cheese). I know as much that the only real interpretation of drake is either derived from drachma; which just doesn't make that much sense to me, but I've been wrong before, a type of duck; absolutely no sense to that, is there? Or something relating to dragons, which given the history of the empire and the principal deity Akatosh, just seems the logical source of the term.
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

Now that you say that, it DOES make sense. One coin side shows the holy first emperor (god Tiber SEPTIM), the other shows Akatosh (in his Dragon form). I'm sure I've read that somewhere.

Mmmmh - well, I might have a look at the money's textures, that would explain it, wouldn't it?
Elder Mod.

Fthagn.
Lord_Gallant
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lord_Gallant »

The word "drake" is synonymous to "dragon" in Tamriel. The "drake" is a symbol of the Empire, the same as the dragon. Why a dragon? Mostly because of Akatosh, God of Time. Have you ever heard the Imperials in game say something like "All hail to the Drake, citizen"? They are basically saying, "All hail to the Empire/Emperor".

Therefore, a "drake" describes a coin minted by the Empire, because of the symbolism.

I am not really a fan of historical references or words applied to Tamirel. Especially when it is not the exact word and it just sounds like it. I just don't think that is what the developers had in mind when making these games.
Last edited by Lord_Gallant on Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trudging through the relentless Skyrim snowstorms, the lone Paladin looks on in sorrow as the land of Tamriel evolves without him; his mind occupied with other matters.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I was jumpy because I spent a day finalizing a project my friends and I made, and I was looking forward to going to the bathroom and taking my time in doing it, and I could only spend 5 minutes in the bathroom.

So now that i've spent four and a half leisurely hours in the bathroom, my mood is calmed much now
Last edited by Haplo on Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lord_Gallant
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lord_Gallant »

That was the most unappetizing post I think I've read yet. To think I just got back from Subway and was eating my sandwich when I was unfortunate enough to stumble into a post about Haplo12345 "taking his time" in the bathroom.

I seriously don't think I can finish this sandwich, lol.
Trudging through the relentless Skyrim snowstorms, the lone Paladin looks on in sorrow as the land of Tamriel evolves without him; his mind occupied with other matters.
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

Please just say you were just busy next time, we really don't need to know that:sick:
"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact, it's all dark."
Sniper4
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sniper4 »

Don't worry Haplo. I spent like 1.5 hours in the bathroom once. Man did that hurt.
Earl
Developer Emeritus

Post by Earl »

I once spent. . . hmm. . . I suppose it doesn't count when you're passed out drunk. . .

*cough*

And that's my input on monetary terms :)
I have kleptomania, but when it gets really bad, I take something for it.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Alright, I'll keep quiet about my diabolical plans to script plants that are made into comodes and eat you up if your not a nord...just for Eraser and LordGallant

Class Creator

Post by Class Creator »

I will try to answer the original question also:

Questions:

Septim= More official term, much like the "dollar" is to the U.S.

Nickname. Kind of like "bucks" to the U.S. Now where drakes came from, I don't know. But where did bucks come from ?

1) Septim= More official term, much like the "dollar" is to the U.S.

2) Drake= Nickname. Kind of like "bucks" to the U.S. Now where drakes came from, I don't know.

3) But where did bucks come from?
----
Answers:

1) Septim: When referring to coinage, refers to the face on the "Top" of the coin. (ie someone saying, "can I borrow a few Franklins" if he wanted to borrow a few hundred dollars.

2) Drake= As L_G said, referring to Tiber Septim's dragon form. (see Norse: Drakken, dragon ship. From Drakken Drake derives, hence the term when referring to the coin)

3) Bucks came from the early American paper currency when, on the back, there would be a buck on back of the paper bills.
===

The top two are speculation based on the texture shown on gold coins, as in the game.

The third is found by looking at several early American paper bills during school.
"Let the sword yield to the toga."
~Cicero

TR will be completed before the Greek Kalends...I shall see to it myself.