4-8-Hla

After an exterior claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Haplo
Lead Developer

4-8-Hla

Post by Haplo »

Claim type: Exterior
Claim ID: TR_4-8-Hla (#145)
Faction: Hlaalu
Claimed by: Nemon
Location: (-19,-27):(-12,-29) (-18:-17,-30) (-16,-30):(-12,-31), Size: 36
Files: TR_4-8-Hla_Haplo_1.esp

---

Kragenmoor and Shadowgate Pass
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Revoked. Cut out the claim from the current Map 4 if you want to use the WIP, but if you do, make sure to take out the city and all the settlements (Dwemer, Daedric Ruins, Ashlander Camp, Fort, etc.)

This includes Kragenmoore; also, if you can, please keep the fountain thing in Kragenmoore, it's really cool.
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

Claiming.

I'll keep the fountain thing.

EDIT: Talk about empty. I'll rework the mountains to make them really tall like they are in Oblivion. The fortress will kind of sit in the mountain pass somehow. I'll try and salvage what I can but a lot will probably end up going.

My real question is if this should stay Redoran or be converted to Hlaalu like it is in lore. If it is Hlaalu then be it, but if it is Redoran I'll have to cut some stuff. I suspect the city isn't the most playable.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Make it Halaylew please!
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

Uploaded as 1 is the original claim with all NPCs, dialogue, activators and whatever other crap removed. Uploaded as 2 is the claim with everything but the fountain thing removed.

EDIT: Attached screenie of my idea for the striderport. Instead of the single ramp up, I decided to try something a little bigger.
Attachments
Striderport.jpg
<insert witty signature here. i might spend time trying to come up with something, but its not like anybody reads these anyway>
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

Attached screenies of one cell containing 25 buildings. Being undetailed, changes are easy to make so suggest some.
Attachments
Kragenmoor3.jpg
Kragenmoor2.jpg
Kragenmoor1.jpg
<insert witty signature here. i might spend time trying to come up with something, but its not like anybody reads these anyway>
kebra
Developer

Post by kebra »

great, just great.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Very nice. One thing I'm keen to have in Kragenmoore (not sure if you need worry about it, or if it's down to the NPC-ers and Int-ers) is a house/dwelling/office/whatever for the Athram family of Flin traders, who are referenced in Oblivion by Ules Athram "of the Kragenmoore Athram's. I made my money in the flin trade, and now I'm living the life of ease in the City". It would be cool to build on that reference, if that's doable (at whatever stage)
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

I planned to put a largish Athram Manor near the fountain thing. I figure they aren't the absolute most influential and rich family in Kragenmoor, but they are probably very much up there.

EDIT: More screenies. I've added 40 buildings now. Since this city is comparable in size to Firewatch, Ebonheart, Narsis, Tear and Blacklight, I reckon I've got about another 40 buildings to add.

EDIT 2: Placed exactly 80 buildings. Have uploaded a birds-eye view of the city and a backup of the claim.

EDIT 3: Screens removed
Last edited by Nomadic1 on Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

It looks great so far!

I assume the southwestern corner is an area you still have to place buildings in, right?

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

looks great :)
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

Thanks for the kind words :]

I've placed 80 buildings in the city now. Unless you specifically tell me to, I won't be adding any more. The southwestern cell, it is hard to tell from the picture, has a large difference in height between the roadside on the eastern edge and the district in the northwestern corner. My intention was to extend the mountain into the empty portion.
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

Nice one!
THEO
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

I've now started re-landscaping the mountains.

I have a question about the Pryai River. Should it still continue into Cyrodiil?

From TESIV, did they have snow at this point southwards in the Velothi Mountains? I know for fact they didn't lower, howver I never explored the mountains this close to Cheydinhal.

Lastly, here's a rough idea for the Shadowgate Pass. I wasn't really too sure of what to add to a border fortress. The cornered building would be the Census and Excise, possibly being the most used pass into Morrowind I would expect there to be one. TBH I just wanted to play around with that mesh so I could easily replace it. For the small building, the idea is to have a small shop for people to buy Morrowind-ia travelling items (eg: helmets with goggles, licquors, travelling clothes, etc.). That was more to fill up space.
Attachments
Shadowgate.jpg
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Sounds cool. Though, it raises the question of how are we dealing with the borders in this?

Perhaps the easiest thing to do would be have an Oblivion-esque invisible wall, made of the 'thou shalt not levitate' squares from Mournhold, forming a border at some point? Though having enough of them to make a seamless border might cause problems/lag?
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

all border fortresses need to have a gate over the road, and have that road continue on past the fort long enough to suggest that there is something over there. (shouldn't be more than a cell or two if you make the road turn)
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

I made the fotress so that the gate is one which cannot be opened, much like that door in Dagon Fel which can't be opened because there are crates in the way on the inside (I used that script, just replaced the message). If the layout and the buildings I've used seem alright, I'll move the fortress to the corner of the cell it is in.

Should it be in the cell it is in (-18, -29)? At the moment it would require me to make an additional cell (-19, -30) just so one can see into the distance from the walls.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

you need to make the extra cell(s) if it is required for the player to look into "Cyrodiil" (make sure the road curves so that those with extended view distances can't see the edge. Good idea with the gate.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

In Oblivion, the snow on the Velothi Mountains is fairly thick going southwards until you get about level with Cheydinhal, after which the snow quickly gets confined to the very tops of the mountains. Comparing the location of Kragenmoor with Cheydinhal with maps at the Imperial Library, it is about this claim that the Velothi Mountains start losing a lot of the snow. With this in mind I attach the following screenies. I can easily redo this and keep snow only on the peaks.

I also attached the script for the gate (yes, somebody please come up with a better message)

Code: Select all

Begin TR_M4-8_GateCyrodiil

if (MenuMode == 1)
return
endif

if ( OnActivate == 1 )

MessageBox, "Beyond the gate lies the Imperial Province. However you feel your destiny lies in Morrowind and so do not pass through."

return

endif

End TR_M4-8_GateCyrodiil
Attachments
ShadowmothFort3.jpg
ShadowmothFort2.jpg
ShadowmothFort1.jpg
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Nomadic1 wrote: I have a question about the Pryai River. Should it still continue into Cyrodiil?
Yes.

Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Kragenmoor
Kragen Mar
but Kragen already means something
as I said at TESF (but it was deleted because OH MY GOD HES BANNED!) this is just bullshit because of Arena's use of name generators
so something with a K Mar.

Map 4 needs an Imperial presence somewhere, by the way.

God Nomadic. I think I came.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Needs to remain Kragenmoor, due to references in books, and in Oblivion dialogue.

BTW: [url=http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Avrus_Adas]this guy[/url] needs to make a cameo appearance in the Temple here,if you ask me.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Kragen Mar then, Wolf101 just made up a good reason its got kragen in its name.

Kragenmoor is the Imperial name.
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

Thanks for the kind words Sload. :]

For the name, I'll keep it as Kragenmoor if only because this is how it appears in Arena and in dialogue. I think a change like that would also have to be approved by the core and they can do it later if they see reason to.

It is funny that thread was made, completely unprompted and at the perfect time for me.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

[img]http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/thumb/8/80/Declaration.jpg/600px-Declaration.jpg[/img]

I AM THE CORE!

yeah whatever. Kragenmoor's just Colovian at best.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Kickass macro thing.

Well, the sources for "Kragenmoor" are Arena; King Edward (I think) mentions a ruler of Kragenmoor: do a TIL search for actual book; ex-Kragenmoor citizen Ulen Athram mentions it; ex-Kragenmoor citizen Avrus Adas mentions it.

The first two leave room for a 'Dunmer version', but the fact that two ex-natives call it that suggests that's its actual name.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

blackbird
Reviewer

Post by blackbird »

Is the city of Kragenmoor (or whatever) going to be 4 cells?
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

It looks like it, yes.

Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Bloodthirsty Crustacean wrote:The first two leave room for a 'Dunmer version', but the fact that two ex-natives call it that suggests that's its actual name.
Using a the name the Champion of Cyrodiil (what a shit thing to call the player btw) is more likely to know than Kragenmar?
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

This is starting to sound like a conspiracy theory...
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"How dare you question the colonnade!" - one of the Glorious Leaders

"Nemon + IKEA = creationism" - some guy

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

Update. I went through and playtested what I've modded so far just to see how the ground texturing, landscaping of the mountains and the layout of Kragenmoor, Shadowgate and a Dwemer ruin look like. Found a couple of errors which I'll fix shortly.

I'm going to go through and place the major statics first, and then go detailing over the lot. Kragenmoor will be finished last.

As it stands this claim is going to be a mix of RM for the mountains and AI/WG for the rest. BM textures are also used for where I want snow. I've decided I don't want the lower areas to be forested like most people do, so there will be lots of rocks and grass instead. This might, incidently, keep FPS fairly good given the size of the city.
Last edited by Nomadic1 on Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

1 month checkup! (I know I just ragged on you about your i3-13-Ind claim... sorry for the pressure if you feel any)

Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

I've placed some rocks and shit, and have done some landscape texturing around the west of the claim. I've also mapped out some of the road in the north of the claim and placed a few caves around.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Progrizzle Updateroo materoo?

Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

I've done a little more of this. Nothing update-worthy though.

I put this off to get i3-13 done, and now I've gone and claimed i1-70 :lol:
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Sload wrote:Kragen Mar then, Wolf101 just made up a good reason its got kragen in its name.

Kragenmoor is the Imperial name.
That's quite very old, but anybody remembers what was Wolf101's reason?
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

We're not changing this name, please, for the love of all that's good.

IIRC, Sload was covertly reading BGSF, where some guy had theorised that a link between Kragenmoor and some other place in Arena was that the devs were using a name gen, and that's how they got Kragenmoor, and this somehow invalidated its use in Daggerfall, Morrowind and Oblivion, as well as Arena.

I'm pretty sure you were in that thread. Do a search for Kragen or Moor at the BGSF.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Hemitheon
Reviewer

Post by Hemitheon »

Maybe there's a Dwemer ruin underneath the city and that's how the name originated. Maybe Clan Kragen originated from that area.
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

I always imagined a Dwemer link to the city, somehow. It does fit and the name-generator theory is shit (though probably true). There were two places which historically had more Dwemer ruins than anywhere else: Vvardenfell and the Velothi Mountains. But I'm not adding anything Dwemer-y to the city - its been done in Mournhold. But I have added a ruin to the northwest.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Bloodthirsty Crustacean wrote:We're not changing this name, please, for the love of all that's good.
Oh yes we are. Kragenmoor is the Imperial name for the place. I can live with Kragenmar.