Deleted thread

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

kingfish
Developer Emeritus

Post by kingfish »

just want to ask: is anyone working/planning to work on orchard trees?
i'd love to have an apple [or so] orchard in my claim, so should i wait or forget about it?
i found an apple tree in ST, but it looks weird and needs retexturing, that's the only one :[
by posting useless junk on these forums you WON'T become a modder, only a spammer...
Zarkis

Post by Zarkis »

@Quentin

Isn't it that we still don't know what to do with the big underground warehouse in ST (the one which oiginaly was meant to be the home of some kind of labour union)? We could put a manufacturing center in it run by the Traders Guild. Many of those poor guys from the slums could work there.

Btw: There are even candlemakers and ropemakers in ST.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Great thinking, Every thing the clothiers gets must come from some sort of place :) I like the silk mine idea :D
Kothloth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Kothloth »

Since it seems as if silk comes from spiders, I'd say developing some kind of system for harvesting spiders is needed. I mean, one wouldn't really want to send people into dark mines, getting silk from huge, poisionous spiders. Perhaps they're collecting the spiderweb?
Quentin Fortune

Post by Quentin Fortune »

I found at least two resources for silk:

1. as mentioned before spider silk (which would bring MW in a line with games like Ultima)

2. silk from various kind of moths (I found mentionings of the gypsy moth and the blight moth); the way how the moth silk is gathered is quite interesting:
The Cult of the Ancestor-Moth
For long the Cyro-Nordics had exported ancestor-silks to other regions, simple yet exotic shawls woven from the silks of an indigenous gypsy moth and inscribed with the requisite genealogy of its buyer. Under the Cult, however, ancestor and moth became synonymous: the singing and hymnal spirits of one's forebears are caught in a special silk-gathering ritual, the resource of which is used to create any manner of vestment or costume. The swishing of this material during normal movement reproduces the resplendent ancestral chorus contained therein-it quickly became a sacred custom among the early Nibenese, which has persisted to the present day. Monks of the higher orders of the Cult of the Ancestor-Moth are able to forego the magical ritual needed to enchant this fabric, and, indeed, prefer instead to wear the moths about the neck and face. They are able to attract the ancestor-moths through the application of finely ground bark-dust gathered from the gypsy moth's favorite tree, and through the sub-vocalization of certain mantras. They must chant the mantras constantly to maintain skin contact with the ancestor-moths, a discipline that they endure for the sake of some cosmic balance. When a monk interrupts these mantras, in conversation for example, the moths burst from him in glorious fashion every time he speaks, only to light back upon his skin when he resumes the inaudible chant.

It seems that the moths could open up fine new possibilities, while the silk from spider could be considered a do-or-die-harvest. ;)

I hope I could add a bit spice to the discussion.

Greetings

Quentin
vorrheis

Post by vorrheis »

Sericulture (the production of silk garments) deals primarily with moth silk. Spiders don't make effective sources as they are territorial, aggresive, and cannabalistic. Moth larvae, can be crammed together and fed leaves.
If we want to do spider silk production (which we should only do in a special case), it would be cool to have a Telvanni wizard overseeing the operation with calm creature area effect spells. The garments would be amazing (most spider silk has a tensile strength 5 times that of steel), and would be veeeeeeeery expensive. This could be part of a high level thieves quest.
For a moth silk farm, we would only need to use one of lady E's moths and have someone make a small squirmy kwama-looking worm.
For a spider farm we could use the new spider made by Proudfoot (is that who made it Hermit?)
An apple orchard would just entail getting permission to use one of the many apple meshes on the web and either manually putting them in a tree or having a moddeler add them to a tree mesh.
kingfish
Developer Emeritus

Post by kingfish »

i think for apple tree it's enough if someone retexture leaves of the one that is part of OOT.
so, modellers, please, could someone do it?
by posting useless junk on these forums you WON'T become a modder, only a spammer...
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Are apples documented in the lore?
Also I'm in for the silk mine idea! :D There id silk shield on the net. SHould be neat if we can make a silk weapon :)
Katse

Post by Katse »

There are items called gorapples in lore. I don't know if there is much of a description of them, but I'm going to guess they're not too different from ours.

As for sericulture, mulberry trees are used, and have been used for millennia, by the Chinese. They get two harvests a year, which is really good. Spider farms should definitely make use of venomous spiders, as they tend to produce the largest amount of silk (check out funnel web spiders). Moth farms would have to operate at night, with the use of magic lights. I think it would be very ethereal to visit a moth farm at night, especially if you used lightning bugs for the source of light. :)

But I think orchards are a must. I mean, all ancient civilizations cooked with oil, so there has to be something like olives there. Oranges are also very old, cultivation-wise. So are cherry trees, nut trees (walnuts, not peanuts, they grow underground), peaches, and especially tea orchards. Tamriel needs tea!!!

Katse
kingfish
Developer Emeritus

Post by kingfish »

and don't forget vine orchards! that is a must for hilly farm lands.