Mesh reviewing scheme

Where hooms take a shit and we clean it up.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

aro101
Developer Emeritus

Mesh reviewing scheme

Post by aro101 »

This is what I came up with after our latest experience with meshes merged into the OoT. See OoT Hammerfell Error Reporting for some details: http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?p=225958

The problem is we didn't had a review system for the OoT before(at last by the time I was promoted). That's the reason why there is no reviewing scheme for this. And to get us, the mesh reviewers, reviewing like it should be done, we need to clarify one. The meshes didn't have been reviewed properly and new we get error reports because of this. It was like "aro had a look at this, so it should be ok". Well, the effects are not satisfying. Just by taking a look at something you can't catch out everything. That's why I suggest to make it more official. The reviewer should check out all aspects of the uploaded work.

The mesh itself. Does it have any weird smoothing? Is it detailed enough for our quality level? Can the mesh be poly reduced without loss on quality? Doesn't it have to many polies?

Uvw mapping and vertex paint. Is the uvw mapping good? Aren't there any visible unnatural stretching? Does it use vertex paint? Can we get it look even more better with that technique?

Havok, collision meshes. Is the collision mesh too much or too less detailed? Does it fit the mesh? Does the item act natural ingame?

Textures. Are they good enough? Do they fit what we have now? If a new texture is added, don't we have already something very similar that we could use instead of a new one? Are they tiled properly? Is the size and file format proper? Is the size of the texture respective for the mesh size?

Additional maps and other mesh properties. Does a lamp glow? Isn't the texture too flat? Is the normal map generated properly? Aren't the stones too shiny or the glass too mat?

Texture paths and filenames. Doesn't need additional explaining.

The reviewer should comment each one of these aspects even if it's going to be an okay for each six of these. That will make him aware that he's responsible for the quality of this work and what's best make him think about all of this stuff.

Discuss or die :P
Last edited by aro101 on Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PoHa: how can we best this trio of trouble? who will save us from this menace of sub-par models? what will we do?
PoHa: I know! we'll shoot an Aro at them
Aro: you have only one Aro missile!
PoHa: yes, but its heat seeking and quite possibly indestructible

How to do not become a modeller - by Stryker:
[00:13:]Stryker: no tutorial, no no no
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

Really, the problem is that we lack model reviewers as all of those things would be standard practice for them. Anyone else interested in joining the model reviewer ranks?
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

i agree with insituting some kind of official mesh reviewers. its not too hard to check all of the above things, so step up people!

heh, reminds me on the Good Old Days with Stalker and Vernon :) memories...
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
aro101
Developer Emeritus

Post by aro101 »

Yeah, that's what I mean! It isn't that hard to review a mesh as soon as you know what you have to check, and that's why I created such a list. It's a must IMHO. We definitely have peoples that are able to do this but they just didn't knew what to look for.
Jellew also was interested in mesh reviewing, and that won't be no problem for him with his knowledge and hints what to look for.

And I have no memories from the Good Old Days :(
PoHa: how can we best this trio of trouble? who will save us from this menace of sub-par models? what will we do?

Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

dont worry mang. prety soon you will be refering back to today with "good old days" :)
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
Jelle
Reviewer

Post by Jelle »

great hints aro! cant wait to use them.
aro101
Developer Emeritus

Post by aro101 »

Lady Nerevar wrote:dont worry mang. prety soon you will be refering back to today with "good old days" :)
Kewl :D I also wanted to add that if someone wants to review a mesh, but isn't sure how to check some of these aspects, I can always clear his doubts.

El Scumbago
Developer Emeritus

Post by El Scumbago »

Lady Nerevar wrote:dont worry mang. prety soon you will be refering back to today with "good old days" :)
Does this mean we're going for the worse?
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

it means one's childhood always seems better. hell, look back at my n00b days. those were hardly the best, though a lot of good stuff did happen. its those positive memories that stick around and make the by-gone times seem so good.
In hoc signo vinces

-PoHa!
aro101
Developer Emeritus

Post by aro101 »

Make a use of this, reviewers, whereever you are. Lady Nerevar, if you want to add something to the list, go ahead. You're the best.

theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

Can we make all kinds of divisions of the reviewers panel? For example, can it be made for models what aro posted above? Or would that mess up the interiors reviewing panel?
Interiors: 25
Reviews: more then 250!
Quest Reviews: 3
NPC claims: 2

Currently looking for quest designers.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

That would require about half a dozen new pages of code, including reworking the existing code inside the claims browser code that deals with reviewing panels. As we don't have anyone who fills such a capacity, I don't think that'll happen any time soon.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
bamman62
Developer

Post by bamman62 »

If only I could code, had the patience to code, or was remotely willing to devote the time to learning it...

Anyway, if I get magical coding abilities one day, I will be more than happy to help.

I'll try to do my part in reviewing though.