Going to New York, any suggestions?

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Going to New York, any suggestions?

Post by Nemon »

Next Sunday my wife and I'll be going to the Big Apple, my first visit to the U, S and A, plus a chance to take advantage of the brilliant $ vs NOK-situation.

But, what the heck is there to do in NY? Any suggestions?
Plus, if anyone knows the name of any great stores (data, cameras, electronics and so on), please name it :)
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Re: Going to New York, any suggestions?

Post by Gez »

Nemon wrote:Next Sunday my wife and I'll be going to the Big Apple
My suggestion? Don't call it the Big Apple. They'd know you're a tourist. Call it the Moon instead.
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

most of the really cool shit in NY needs to be planed ahead. the Met Opera is really amazing (if youre into that...) but its not for opera newbies and is costly (and requires reservations afair). I recomend just wandering around the city, theres a lot of stuff too see. Times Square at 3 in the morning is breathtaking. dont plan on going up the empire state, the lines are huge.
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
PoHa!
Developer Emeritus

Post by PoHa! »

You should buy a bagel. :D
"When you find out someone's sleeping with your wife, you want to kill the f***er"
~Prof. Gardner

"You wiki'd my girlfriend?"
~Dexter
Harke the Apostle
Developer

Re: Going to New York, any suggestions?

Post by Harke the Apostle »

Nemon wrote:Next Sunday my wife and I'll be going to the Big Apple, my first visit to the U, S and A, plus a chance to take advantage of the brilliant $ vs NOK-situation.

But, what the heck is there to do in NY? Any suggestions?
Plus, if anyone knows the name of any great stores (data, cameras, electronics and so on), please name it :)
What do you want to do?

(I'm guessing you and your wife are not going to visit any gay bars). I wasn't impressed by the stores in NY. Sure they were bigger, but most had more or less the same stuff they have in Europe.

What I liked most of all riding the subway and taking a look at different places in the city.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

have you considered finding eraser?
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Macar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Macar »

Cool, there's a lot of cool stuff in NYC. Met would be cool (as LN says, "if you're into that") but I'd say that almost anyone would enjoy a Broadway musical (dont forget to ask about student rush).

Dont wory about seeming like a tourist- they'll probably know anyway. I've never heard NYC called the moon before... Most people who live there just call it the city.

If I had more money I could come down and meet ya, I only live 3 hours away (bus= 15 dollars)
NEW MEMBERS: I'm not with TR anymore, so please stop PMing me. Just post your sample work in the showcase.
[url=http://www.realmsofrenth.com][img]http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/3020/banner3er0.jpg[/img][/url]
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

we should have a nice little TR con :D im about 3 hours away too
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
Harke the Apostle
Developer

We tasted wine in Soho. They had interesting wines from NY and the States around it. (AFAIK they don't sell those in Europe. The wines included raspberry which was terrible, and strawberry that tasted like syrup).
We had clam chowder in the Oyster Bar in Grand Central Station.
We went to look at African Americans in the Bronx (I bought a publication there from some black muslim organization).
We went to Jones Beach too.
We went to Flushing to see the Korean stores etc.

The Empire State was a bit of a disappointment.
Nearby Jersey City was dirty but interesting.
gafgarion97

Post by gafgarion97 »

Lady Nerevar wrote:we should have a nice little TR con :D im about 3 hours away too
I live 24 hours away and can't drive (legally):(

My parents grew up in new york, but when I went all we did was the statue of liberty (thats alot of damn stairs!) and the empire state building.
For those who loved this world and knew friendly company therein;
This Reunion is for you.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Well I would suggest you fly into Newark and stay at the Hilton there just across the river from NYC. Much cheaper, and probably nicer too. All it takes is a 5 minute drive over the bridge to get into the city. I would suggest going to Times Square at night and visit all the shops around the entire square. Which means give a full day for it. But definitely see it at night. And go to the Trump Tower, go up to the top of it, and you can have a grand time on the viewing deck (it's walled in with glass, but with slits so cameras can flash but not create a glare (although flash is useless when you're taking a picture of buildings halfway across the city, come to think of it...), but yeah it's really freakin' tall. And when I was there, we saw a guy propose to his girl at the top floor/giftshop. Needless to say she said yes and everyone clapped and cheered and whooped.

Go see a play, if not a broadway, then an off-broadway, or off-off broadway.

Um... go see the museum of natural history, and the met (metropolitan museum). Go travel through Harlem if you can. It's awesome. And uh...I guess go see the WTC site if you want to. Travel on the ferries... they're kinda cool. You can go to Liberty Island and Ellis Island too. Pack for under 10 degree (celcius) weather or below 0.

Go visit the Apple store. srsly it's so cool. And 5th Avenue. That's where all the shops and stuff are. Oh and carry your wallet in your front pocket or somewhere besides back pocket because it's ridiculous how well some of those people pick pockets. Tell your wifey to be mindful of her purse too. And those guys on the street corners, who want you to buy their CDs or whatever, or even just listen, the easiest way to avoid them is to not make eye contact.

Go visit the library if you can... and Juilliard. If you're lucky you'll be able to catch some people outside practicing for a performance if its not too cold.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Well, tomorrow we're off! Hopefully the snowy weather clears up at Norway's main airport Gardermoen, since we have to fly there first, before we're off to Reykjavik and then to JFK.

Probably no sleep tonight...
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

ill warn ya ahead of time, expect LONG wait times at JFK. i waited 4+ hours in the plane for liftoff this summer...and thats not counting check in and security and all that. its the most congested airport in the nation (fact)
In hoc signo vinces

-PoHa!
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

why would you do any of that shit? be like the kid in hair, only without getting drafted.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
lb003g0676
Developer

Post by lb003g0676 »

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/timessquare/index.php?cam=fridays

go outside TGI fridays at a certain time, and we will all wave. TGI's at Times Square or soemthing, what do I know, I lvie across the pond. Well be more useful if you wave, and indicate somehow that you are who you say you are.

When my friends Mum went to NYC she waved on this,a nd I ahve a photo of it. Awesome.
"Only perfection is acceptable. I expect something beyond the acceptable." - Sload

"Orix bows down to £'s leet spelling skills" - Oriks
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

JFK sucks, but at least its runways are long enough. La Guardia (*cough*) has the shortest runways of a major airport. The landing gear dips into the water on takeoff!

You've also got to get lost in grand central, go to the UN, the met, museum of natural history and the bronx zoo. Those are the biggest, there's a million other places like the south street seaport, the intrepid if its there(might be being restored) the cloisters.

Don't forget, you have to have the world's best pizza and bagels. And the world's shittiest hot dogs and pretzels, which taste like car exhaust.

When crossing streets be aware of red+5 on all stoplights and any notion of traffic laws beyond alternate side of the street parking are utterly ignored. And feel free to just wander out into the street with wanton disregard for anything coming strait at you, everyone else does it and you'll really look like a tourist if you actually obey the crosswalk signs (or even use a crosswalk altogether).

And don't get all excited about stuff, point or take pictures, dead giveaways. Walk fast, don't give a shit about anything and never make eye contact.

And when someone says "Fuck You!" just say "Fuck You Too!"

It's just a new yorker's way of saying hello.
"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact, it's all dark."
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Heh, Eraser, fuck you too! :) (meaning "hello")

Right now I'm at the 48th floor of some apartement building ith a vie of the Hudson River, typing on a laptop ith some issues regarding the letter w (had to hit it hard).

Took a train from Penn to Merrick, bought a Music Man John Petrucci guitar at Royal Music NY, Bill was the guy who served me there. Great fellow, brilliant service and a good price as well! Back on Manhattan me and my wife went to Macy's, where I almost died of boredom. I don't know how many floors there are there with women's clothes, but it's enough. I still suffer from jet lag, since NY lags 6 hours compared to Bergen, Norway, and after a couple of self brewed coffees we're off to eat dinner! I watched the last bit of the Superbowl game last night, exiting ending although this version of football (foot my ass) sucks. Why don't they just call this soccer instead of a misleading reference to a ball being used by feets? One hour watching this stuff (45 minutes of commercials) and twice or thrice did they ever kick the ball :) Come on!

JFK was awkward. White narrow hallways, and then boom you're outside! Back in Norway we make glass hallways all around the airport, just to show off our architecture, before you're let out. Even Keflavik int airport on Iceland seemed bigger!

Anyway, we're having a great time here, kudos to my ancestors for leaving Europe and building this city.

PS! The Statue of Liberty is partly created with copper from Norway, dug out partly by my great grandfather, on the island Karmøy, a few hours south of my hometown!
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Sounds good so far; let us know how the rest of the trip goes!
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Morgoth
Developer Emeritus
Location: That big place next to the smaller place with the tree.

Post by Morgoth »

Sounds like you're having an awesome time. You got to see one of the better Superbowls, too. (Commercials were aweful this year.) Visit Greenbay next year, maybe they'll win it. :P I'm not too far from NY either, it would be cool to get a bunch of people together. (Everyone always talks about it, but we never end up doing it.)

How long are you staying for?
Founder of the Realms of Renth. Please give us a visit!

[img]http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/4640/sigbannerap7.jpg[/img]

www.realmsofrenth.com
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

So another day of shopping comes to a close, my wife discovering 14th and Union Square leaving my VISA still smoking hot. So much to see, so little time... One nice thing was something I discovered Guitar Center, a guitar effect pedal board, Line 6 X3 Pro at $ 499 here in US and A, while it cost over twice as much at home... Maybe I'll buy two of them?

Anywhooo... Yesterday we went to the Rockefeller and checked out the view from the top, great thing! I'll post a thorough review of New York when I get home.
Harke the Apostle
Developer

I always like to buy historic posters & school charts etc. They make for good souvenirs. I bought a poster with all the Indian tribes in the US.
Hillbilly Man
Developer

Where

Post by Hillbilly Man »

Did you get a chance to see ground 0. That would be something to get to see that piece of modern history. :)
No, I'm not really a hillbilly

"truly special 10's are to be saved for truly special occasions (like the night you try to get in her pants)" - Lady Nerevar
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Re: Where

Post by Nemon »

Harke the Apostle wrote:I always like to buy historic posters & school charts etc. They make for good souvenirs. I bought a poster with all the Indian tribes in the US.
The thing about souvenirs is that they tend to take up space in my home. I bought alot of stuff from Egypt, papyrus and glass artifacts, but when I met the one I ended up marrying (to Sload and Majra's dislikings) she calmly said forgettaboudit in response to my idea of having them (the papyrus) on our walls :) Instead we take alot of pictures. My wife considers clothes the perfect souvenirs...
Hillbilly Man wrote:Did you get a chance to see ground 0. That would be something to get to see that piece of modern history. :)
We did the south tip of Manhattan the same day as the Giants' victory parade, including the Financial District, Battery Park and Ground Zero. Alot of work being done there, preparing for the Freedom Tower.