n8-43-Mis

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

aro101
Developer Emeritus

Post by aro101 »

We have two ways (heh, in fact 3) to go with this.

1. Retexturing the vanilla one.
+Almost a guarantee of a high quality set that is easy to make, and won't propably need too much testing. It just can't cause errors that appear while making something new.
-This one's big... 123 files(only 4MB though).
How to make it? Take all the textures used by this set. Check how they work, make new ones, of the same size. Retexture the meshes with nifskope(you can first just replace the vanilla textures for easier result testing).

2. Making a new set. A small set. It wouldn't even include all parts drawn on the concept, only some of these(something about 10 seperate nifs). It should be made out of tubes, with a stone texture thrown on it. Plus some slime on the bottom. Shouldn't be that hard. But it's still a modular set with all its difficulties.
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x139/aruncio101/TR/CA/Geage.png

3. Don't make any sewers or use vanilla ones.
PoHa: how can we best this trio of trouble? who will save us from this menace of sub-par models? what will we do?
PoHa: I know! we'll shoot an Aro at them
Aro: you have only one Aro missile!
PoHa: yes, but its heat seeking and quite possibly indestructible

How to do not become a modeller - by Stryker:
[00:13:]Stryker: no tutorial, no no no
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Note:

For option 2, that's using 1, 4-6, 9-15, and a drain. I strongly recommend using this set.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Elfane
Developer

Post by Elfane »

I'll start sketching!
So 2.
Thrignar-Fraxix - elfane, is a CA machine

Elfane's need list - camel & tortoise...
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Why is sketching necessary? This thing's pretty simple, I don't think it needs any further concept and should be in unclaimed.
aro101
Developer Emeritus

Post by aro101 »

It's not necessary, but it's nice. If Elfane wants to be productive, let him do it. I'm sure it will be a good reference for the modeller and it might prevent him from getting stuck with the design(even though it is already a very simple and precisely described design).
PoHa: how can we best this trio of trouble? who will save us from this menace of sub-par models? what will we do?

Elfane
Developer

Post by Elfane »

On the pic it is only the shape of the sewer, it doesnt show how it is built is it circular, rectangular, triangular?? Not what colour the stones are, not how the drains look like etc. So there is alot of things that should be drawn out. Though one pic with a sewer scene would be more than enough.

Sload, sure a sewer set could be done with only that pic. But the brainfreeze would set in several times for the one who would make the meshes. "Eeeh, how should the sidewalk on the sewers look like." Then the mesher will spend hours testing our different stuff, instead of just looking at a pic and make something like that.

It is not needed perhaps, but it would make things easier and probably better.

*edit - BTW dont we all know what a farmhouse looks like, almost anyway, or a watergate, or a watermill. Should we dont have concepts for those either.

Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Post says clearly its round. Like a big stone pipe.

I guess textures are something that need to be worked on, but the model shape itself is pretty clear.

The reason we need concepts of the farmhouse is that either the specific idea of where things go, or because they're planars which modellers use as a base.
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

Architectural details need to be sketched for this set. The current image is only suitable for the base shape. A full model will require much more detailing. Pillars, supports, bricks, ladders, hatches, grates, are all features which need to be explored.

Will this set mimic the LC architecture? Or will it take on an older yuko design... seeing as how the sewers are probably the oldest part of the city.
aro101
Developer Emeritus

Post by aro101 »

I would prefer to keep it as simple as it can be, if we're going with 2. For example, if we want pillars somewhere, let them be in a place which won't complicate putting pieces together. So I say it should be mimic to the LC, only more round and maybe with some visible older influences here and there.

PoHa!
Developer Emeritus

Post by PoHa! »

Thoughts?

[url=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/PoHaEiFor/3dModels/DownTheTubes.jpg]Tunnel Shot[/url]
[url=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/PoHaEiFor/3dModels/SizeComparison.jpg]Comparison to Vanilla Tunnel01[/url]
"When you find out someone's sleeping with your wife, you want to kill the f***er"
~Prof. Gardner

"You wiki'd my girlfriend?"
~Dexter
aro101
Developer Emeritus

Post by aro101 »

replace the brick texture on the round parts. It looks crappy with such tiling.

Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

I like the tunnel design. Its a nice contrast from the square sewers made by bethesda.
PoHa!
Developer Emeritus

Post by PoHa! »

[url=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/PoHaEiFor/NewTunnel.jpg]Slight change,[/url] because a slight mesh misalignment caused me to redo the base anyways.

I also have a couple of ideas that could make this set more interesting; things that make me go all "ZOMG! I hope I can pull that off"-tingly. Note the hope though, so I won't say anything more.

Edit: oh, yes, ignore the textures; they're stolen from OB's set and slapped on for a general idea.
"When you find out someone's sleeping with your wife, you want to kill the f***er"
~Prof. Gardner

~Dexter
aro101
Developer Emeritus

Post by aro101 »

And you still use google sketch up for this? Pretty impressive to me.

PoHa!
Developer Emeritus

Post by PoHa! »

Actually, Sketchup is pretty good for this type of thing, IMO.

Process for making a curve:

1. Position the edges from an end of the sewer base (most time consuming part, yet easy because of the way Sketchup snaps things to points of your choosing.)

2. Draw an arc, representative of how you'd like the curve to... curve.

3. Tell the face within the edges to "Follow" the arc

4. Delete the faces on the ends of the curve, add texture (texture isn't handled well IMO, so fine tuning I'll do in Blender)

[url=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/PoHaEiFor/3dModels/ModularTest.jpg]Latest test pic, with no bright lights turned on because then all I'd hear about is how the textures don't look good, or how they don't match up, or how the BigAss Curve doesn't have vertex shading yet while some of the others do... blah blah blah.[/url]

In that pic:

- Two 1's
- Two 5's
- Two 7's
- Two 6's
- Two beta versions of 1 that were created to test whether or not I could pull off creating modular meshes; 1/3 the length of 1's

Also, about the idea, which I think might work:

Imagine splitting the straight tunnel pieces down the middle, lengthwise; now you have a half tunnel piece, a half tunnel piece with a drain, a half three way piece, etc.

Put two half three way pieces together, and you have a four way. Put a drain on a three way. A straight one with a bowl shaped one. A manhole nook one with a drain.

I haven't figure out how all the pieces would work out together yet, but I think I could pull it off. If it'd be preferred that I didn't put that much work into doing all that and making sure they all work, etc. then no problem, I'll continue just making them as they are planned.

Also, I noticed there's no ramps, no stair pieces, nothing as far as changing the height goes. Is that intentional? Just wondering.

[Edit]Oh, and I just realized that this is actually claimed by Elfane; Sorry, didn't mean to jump on your toes... I would still love to see any concepts that have been drawn up, and be happy to incorporate them as well (If I need to redo something, that's my punishment for not following protocol, now isn't it?).
~Prof. Gardner

~Dexter
PoHa!
Developer Emeritus

Post by PoHa! »

Hey der. I'd love it if some suggestions for textures were made, or at least people started thinking about it.

Also, for those who didn't know, I've convinced my adviser to accept this modular set of models as my senior project. (Huzzah for one less thing to worry about, since I was doing this anyways!)

That also means that I have a schedule that I need to keep to. Next benchmark being all the meshes complete by the 15th (no collision or textures finished though). By that time, I hope to have the textures ready to be applied to them, so I can do that as quickly as possible. If I don't, I'll find my own textures and use them, seeing as I have to keep on schedule for a grade this time. If you don't like the textures I pick, you'll need to go back and change each one later. So... yea. Input requested, if you know what's good for you. :P
~Prof. Gardner

~Dexter
Elfane
Developer

Post by Elfane »

I think that the sewer stone texture should be made out of the same brownish type of colour of the GM tors, perhaps a bit lighter since the stone is cut. Though it should have the characteristic sewer look. You know what I am talking about greenish slime, rustmarks around where metal have is places (the sewers should have iron ladders in bedded in the wall) and various fungoids.

As for the shape of the stones I would say simple rectangles with the dimensions 1*2,5.

Yeah, something like that.

aro101
Developer Emeritus

Post by aro101 »

You should consider adding variety in a way simillar to the one that Lady Nerevar and me did on the walls of GM LC houses.

PoHa!
Developer Emeritus

Post by PoHa! »

Uploading for keepsakingness, because my computer scared me and made me think it was about to jump out my window and crash on the ground 3 floors down. I talked it down, but I'm still watching it pretty closely. (In the end, it appears a noisy fan and some sorta bios setting made him do it, but I'm still suspicious)

Anyways, note that all the meshes from the above [url=http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x139/aruncio101/TR/CA/Geage.png]pic[/url] are there, except 2, 3, 8, 15, 18, 19, and 20. 2 and 3 are unnecessary because there's a modular drain that can be placed on any of the other pieces, 8 was discontinued in some IM discussion that I wasn't privy too, and the other 4 seemed really dumb to me (ie I couldn't imagine them being at all useful except in very specific situations).

Furthermore, I also made a Column, a doorway, and a "flat plane" that's meant to cover the center trench. Please suggest any other such doodads you'd like to see.

If anyone feels like looking at what I have thusfar, I've also included my specially made test .esp, which doesn't rely upon Oblivion.esm and will bitch and moan at you because you don't have all the various test meshes/trees that I've tested out in it.

If you DO look at them, though, you should realize that some have no textures, some have textures, some have textures and vertex shading, some have vertex shading but no textures, and all textures that were used were slapped on vanilla ones. (Therefor, if you have a looksee, please tell me about any issues you see besides those, even if they seem obvious because I may or may not notice them :P)

Also, some of my texture thoughts:

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o97/solobeck/Stone/sone_cobble/?action=view&current=cobbl03.jpg
http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o97/solobeck/Stone/stone_castle/?action=view&current=mapshi.193.jpg
http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o97/solobeck/Stone/stone_castle/?action=view&current=rock040.jpg
http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o97/solobeck/Stone/stone_castle/?action=view&current=mapshi.207.jpg
Attachments
SewerNifs.rar
(841.12 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
~Prof. Gardner

~Dexter
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

I could've sworn I posted a reply to this upload last night. Do you have another thread by chance?
Elfane
Developer

Post by Elfane »

The third texture is the best in my oppinion, though making it brownish with some PS work. But the dirtyness of tex nr.4 is what we should have.

PoHa!
Developer Emeritus

Post by PoHa! »

Yes, of course, I plan on doing some color reworking when I edit them to make sure they're the right size and are tileable.

And no, Morden no other sewer thread that I know of...
~Prof. Gardner

~Dexter
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Texture 1 doesn't work; this is for a road or a terrace, not for a wall. On a wall, it would far too fanciful for a sewer. Texture 2 could maybe work if the bricks were horizontal. But this one looks like it's a ground texture too. Textures 3 and 4 work, I agree that 3 looks like the best, the red bricks of 4 make it look like a 19th century factory wall in England.
PoHa!
Developer Emeritus

Post by PoHa! »

Elfane wrote:The third texture is the best in my oppinion, though making it brownish with some PS work. But the dirtyness of tex nr.4 is what we should have.
Gez wrote:Texture 1 doesn't work; this is for a road or a terrace, not for a wall. On a wall, it would far too fanciful for a sewer. Texture 2 could maybe work if the bricks were horizontal. But this one looks like it's a ground texture too. Textures 3 and 4 work, I agree that 3 looks like the best, the red bricks of 4 make it look like a 19th century factory wall in England.
Agreed. I was originally going to try and use 1 for the trench floor, but I've decided against even that. Cut 2 as well. 3 and 4 I've done some color tweaking (they could still use some more, probably) and I think they'll work. Actually, 3 might need a lot more spit shine, cause right now I keep thinking its wood shaft tile things, which is bad.

I've got a couple more textures (actually, I've had them all along, I just can't find their URLs to link to them) that I think will do the trick.

Also, I'd appreciate any suggestions for the texture of the trench floor. I really don't like what I'm using now (a large cobblestone sorta thing).

Thanks for the input guys.
~Prof. Gardner

~Dexter
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

It's very anachronistic but maybe [url=http://www.sewerhistory.org/images/w/wef/wefb2/wefb2San02-3.jpg]this picture could help[/url] -- not as a base for a texture, though, just as a guide to how the dirt on the walls would like.

[url=http://www.sewerhistory.org/images/w/wef/wefb2/wefb2po05.jpg]Still not[/url] [url=http://bullbunky.blogspot.com/2007_02_01_archive.html]very helpful[/url]...