Ok People, I need some books

Place where in-game literature is written and developed.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Ok People, I need some books

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

As you may or may not know, I am making OE castle. This castle keeps records for the entire province. (at least the imperial shit.) At the top of the tower is a place where classified documents are kept. I can't write them because I don't know enough. I would very much appreciate having a book, or a few books written following these criteria:

Author is a high level imperial agent. Think about what a high level imperial agent would logically know.
These books are written up until the day the player steps off the boat, so while they can mention the player, they should say nothing of his/her accomplishments in MW.
They can not suck (I reserve the right to refuse any work submitted for this purpose)
There has to be a reason for them to be classified.

Post the books in this thread. Discussion can take place here too.

edit: Don't mention the blades. If the player is mentioned it can only be as a prisoner passing through the castle. (And I find it hard to believe that this could be done and still warrant classification, or without sucking) Also: Damn, I lost my discussion tag!
Last edited by Thrignar Fraxix on Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Hemitheon
Reviewer

Post by Hemitheon »

Can I do a couple of Legal Transcripts of court hearings?
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

sure, not sure why they would be classified though. I guess if they aren't worthy of classification they could be put in the unclassified section.
Reviewing Administrator

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Hemitheon
Reviewer

Post by Hemitheon »

Or how bout an old journal which details the hidden sections of the OE sewers?
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

that would work too
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Harke the Apostle
Developer

Post by Harke the Apostle »

I'd be happy to write a text.

A high level agent might keep a report on a certain affair that is interesting to the Empire. I think a spy-report on King Helseth would fit the bill. (Unless we have something like that in BoT already).

It would be a rather dryly written official report that consists of an introduction, a synopsis of rumors, an account of several intelligence operations (mostly unsuccessful), an analysis of current affairs and a conclusion.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

We don't have anything like that. Everything that I am looking for is dryer than (insert inappropriate dry thing here). Remember these are not meant to be read for fun, although they can (and should be) interesting. bonus points if it gives me a headache. (unless it is due to suck and not wordiness)
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Jacurutu
Developer Emeritus

Post by Jacurutu »

I would be happy to write some manuscripts involving the dialogue between Caius Cosades, the OE Blades director, and some representative from the Imperial Province. Only thing is we need to have an NPC there in OE Castle (or in the town) who would have written these documents. Do we have a name for that person or should I make it up?
Only the prospect of death makes life worth living.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

The Blades act independent of both the civil government and the legion, their service is directly to the Emperor. The folks in OE wouldn't know who Caius was. Or if anyone did, his identity and actions are even too classified for the classified section of the provincial government.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Jacurutu
Developer Emeritus

Post by Jacurutu »

Blades agents are not entirely autonomous. When Caius left Morrowind, he did so saying that his subordinates could handle themselves in his absence, not that they always did. Under normal conditions, they would have reported to him regularly; Caius would have done the same to his commanding officer on the mainland (who was probably in OE). Furthermore, the PC was delivered from an Imperial prison, likely being taken across the border and delivered to OE before finally being sent by boat into the Seyda Neen, the location of an Imperial Census & Excise office. The PC went through Imperial channels, and a few people had to be in the know to do this. The master Blade in Morrowind would have known about it.

The other reason other people had to know was in case Caius got killed during the mission so that someone could step in and help -- this would be achieved through some sort of documentation. Very few people would have known what the Nerevarine was doing, but there would be some.
Jacurutu
Developer Emeritus

Post by Jacurutu »

Sorry about the double-posting, but the two things have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Here's something that could be in the classified vaults; if people don't like it, I'll take out the direct Sixth House reference.

Classified Report: Smuggling Operations
-3E 398, 14th of Rain’s Hand

There currently exists in the Imperial Province of Morrowind a vast market of untapped resources, a market which could simultaneously offer considerable untraceable revenue directly to his majesty, the Emperor, as well as cutting directly into the economic bases of the Great Houses. The division of power within Morrowind has undercut the ability of the Dunmer to effectively moderate both their domestic and inter-provincial trade, thereby leaving vast tracts of land unmonitored, providing an ideal setting for unregulated and untaxed trade; the potential utilization of these areas is enormous.

Field research has observed a considerable demand for the contraband skooma, both within the native populace and the slaves imported from Argonia and Elsweyr; the possession, transport, commercialization and consumption of this substance are illegal under current Imperial statutes (code: C.T.3.023 a-d); however, the Emperor and his predecessors have made evident a desire to undermine the control of the Great Houses without inciting the local population to open warfare. Numerous production and distribution centers exist throughout the province, and when approached with the option of acquiescing to some classified taxation, the majority of the operators of these facilities have expressed a willingness to cooperate. This sort of operation would therefore yield considerable benefits: an influx of money to the Imperial vaults and the degeneration of the Dunmer labor force, which would in turn increase Morrowind’s dependence on foreign importation.

Furthermore, the Empire could benefit directly from smuggling operations in resources traditionally controlled by the Great Houses. These activities have the effect of artificially suppressing the price of native exports to Cyrodiil and other provinces. Again, considerable interest has been expressed by some native agencies, most notably a cell calling itself the Sixth House – it’s name a referential relic to local history. In exchange for a flat rate fee, the Imperial presence could avoid confrontation and benefit from price suppression and supplementary tax revenue.

As a result of the recent unrest throughout Tamriel, the Empire must take certain precautionary measures to control potential threats from provincial powers. The implicit support of some preexisting criminal agencies could provide unwitting support to this agenda.

Respectfully submitted,
[The name is blotted out]
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

I didn't say the agents were autonomous, obviously they are not. I said the organization was atonomous. It would not be under the oversight of anyone keeping official records in Old Ebonheart. I doubt records would even be kept. I wouldn't be surprised if the OE government doesn't even know who the head of the Blades in Morrowind was. Even the Blades don't know who all of them are, as Caius says when he leaves, "That makes you the ranking Blades agent here in Vvardenfell district. As far as I know. There may be other Blades agents here I don't know about. It wouldn't surprise me."

As the Skeleton Man interview says, "[The Blades] don't really take orders from anybody but themselves." There is definitely a chain of command above Caius, but the Governor of Morrowind and the Imperial Proconsul and the Knight of the Red Diamond don't know shit about what they're up to.
Jacurutu
Developer Emeritus

Post by Jacurutu »

Caius is still reporting to some higher authority, another Morrowind Blade. But you're right, not to someone who'd keep the data in OE Castle. Off-topic as it is now, I still think that there is some high ranking Blades agent on the mainland in big city (Narsis or OE -- some place where an Imperial can blend in).
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Yes, definitely. How to incorporate this into the mod is a bit of an issue, though.

Anyways, back to classified documents.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Jacurutu wrote:Book
I like it, seems like the sort of thing that would be proposed, then hushed up, then secretly stored for possible later use because it could be useful in dire circumstances.
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

i dig it
Xui'al
Developer Emeritus

Post by Xui'al »

Would you be interested in something like Procopius' 'Anecdota'?
'What if man is not really a scoundrel - man in general, I mean, the whole race of mankind - then all the rest is prejudice, simply artificial terrors and there are no barriers and it's all as it should be.'
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

That would be awesome, just don't make it too dirty
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Jacurutu
Developer Emeritus

Post by Jacurutu »

Are these supposed to be just official documents or can they be about anything (e.g. something like Boethiah's Pillow Book that you steal in Ald'Ruhn)?

Also, another proposal, which would probably need some associated quest. The document would describe a murder investigation regarding the death of a noble (could be any Great House, but probably Indoril), whose body was found brutally beaten. After an Imperial investigation, a commoner is arrested for the murder and placed in prison; entrance to his cell is prohibited. The quest-giver would be his wife or a close relative who believes he is being framed. The document itself, hidden in the classified documents of the castle, actually reveals that the noble was murdered by several soldiers who had been out drinking and got into a verbal confrontation with the guy. The document was sealed in the archives because of the threat it represented of destabilizing the relations between Indoril and the Empire further.
Last edited by Jacurutu on Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

There has to be a valid reason for them to exist, in the case of Xui's book it is because it is valuable dirt on the governor's predecessor.
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Tast
Developer

Post by Tast »

My first submission to TR after being promoted for literature. Here is a text (still rough around the edges) about guerrilla troops in the East of Morrowind who are being funded by the Imperial government. It is kept secret because the heavy implication is that these "auxiliaries" are being helped by the Imperials to combat slavery.

Report on Marine Auxiliary Units Operating On the Eastern Coast
3E 390 15th of Rain’s Hand

The performance of the unofficial auxiliaries operating off and near the coasts of eastern Morrowind has recently been assessed by a Legion officer. His conclusions, adapted into this report, should be of the utmost interest to those in the provincial Imperial bureaucracy who hold views not in keeping with certain practices protected by the armistice.

First, it should be noted that the discreet governmental aid sent to these auxiliaries is being well spent on weapons, armor, ships, and other equipment deemed necessary for the activities in which these individuals participate. Thus, the fear that Imperial coin would be poorly used has been proven to be unfounded; the twelve thousand septims a month distributed are managed in an efficient manner. In addition, one unit leader, an individual by the name of Grows In Shade, has been able to fund his activities almost completely through the sell of excess plunder obtained from the victories of his comrades.

The overall achievement of these combatants has proved to be spectacular. The auxiliaries have made huge inroads in harming that peculiar institution which is held in so low esteem by Imperial society. An average of ten thousand septims worth of cargo is liberated per month through their actions, in addition to the fifteen thousand septims worth of property damage inflicted upon their targets. Five hundred refugees are aided by these auxiliaries each month as well, adding to the efforts of other organizations operating within Morrowind. Losses are low among the combatants, totaling fifteen a month, with virtually no casualties due to disease.

It is the belief of this agent that funding should be diverted from anti-smuggling operations in the Bitter Coast region of Vvardenfell to the efforts of our irregulars serving on the eastern seaboard. In total, eight thousand additional septims each month should be sent, if we wish to maintain the success of this endeavor.
Jacurutu
Developer Emeritus

Post by Jacurutu »

The document I talked about in the previous post. I left the specifics vague so that the report could be adapted to whatever town this murder takes place in.

Report of Investigation

Name: [ ]
Date of Birth: [ ] Date of Death: [ ]
Place of death: [ ]
Manner of death: Homicide
Immediate cause of death: Multiple sharp force injuries of the head, torso and arms.

This man has been identified as a noble serving in Great House Indoril, with hereditary claim to the Indoril council as the eldest son of [ ]. Despite his placement among the nobility of the Temple abiding House Indoril, he was hardly considered a pious, respectable individual – his penchant for drinking was infamous around town, and his home’s cellar was found well-stocked with locally-produced alcoholic beverages.

The decedent reportedly had been drinking at [tavern]. The tavern-keep, [name], stated that on the night of his death at approximately 1:30 a.m., the decedent became engaged in an argument with a group of three off-duty Imperial Legion guards. These three guards were identified as [names] by the tavern-keep, who stated that they had been in his tavern a few times before the night in question. The tavern-keep states that as the argument escalated, he intervened and asked the Imperial guards to leave the premises. The confrontation continued until the three guards exited the tavern (1:40 a.m.). At approximately 2:15 a.m., the decedent stated that he was returning to his home, and he exited the tavern unaccompanied.

The decedent’s body was discovered at approximately 6:50 a.m. in an alley behind the home of [commoner]. The body had been stuffed into an empty crate. Multiple penetrating and perforating stab wounds were observed on the head, torso and arms, as well as superficial evidence of blunt force trauma to the aforementioned areas. No weapons were found at the scene of the death.

When questioned about the body found behind his home, [commoner] stated that he had been awoken in the middle of the night to the sound of a scream and Imperial voices. He states that he did not exit his home because he feared for his safety, nor did he look outside for the same reason. On the night of the murder, the occupants of the house in the across from the commoner’s house were visiting family and were not present. No other potential witnesses acknowledge hearing the scream or the Imperials. No physical evidence was found inside the commoner’s residence or in the surrounding residences.

When questioned, the three Imperial guards all stated that they had returned to the barracks directly after leaving the tavern and had gone to sleep. This statement, however, was not corroborated by any other witnesses, as all Imperial guards in the barracks state that they did not wake up when the others entered. No physical evidence was found at the barracks, although quartermaster stated that he had found a small amount of blood on one of the Imperial short-swords located in storage, which had dried (making the sample difficult to date).

Documentation of Wounds:
1. Penetrating stab wound of the right temple, with exposure of the brain.
2. Penetrating stab wound of the right eye, with collapse of the right lobe.
3. Incised wound of the left temple.
4. Incised wound of the left scalp above the ear.
5. Penetrating stab wound of the left side of the nose with a wound tract into the roof of the mouth.
6. Perforating wound of the left central abdomen, with extrusion of the bowel.
7. Incising wound of the posterior left shoulder.
8. Penetrating stab wound of the right back, with penetration into the right chest cavity and the right lung.
9. Incised wound of the left lateral back.
10. Perforating stab wound of the right forearm.
11. Incised wound of the right anterior forearm.
12. Incised wound of the back of the left wrist.
13. Superficial blunt force injuries – abrasion of the right elbow and multiple abrasions of dorsal aspects of the right and left hands.

Injuries indicate that the decedent was attacked with a broadsword of indeterminate classification. The injuries suggest that he defended himself with his hands and arms (unsuccessfully).

Signed,
[ ]
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Tast wrote:Book
ATM the empire isn't currently funding smugglers, that was just a suggestion archived in the top of the tower for potential later use should dire circumstances warrant it.
Jacurutu wrote:Book
Nice, although this would have to be a fairly high level quest to require breaking into the hidden archives. Care to write something like this regarding the death of [imperial noble name here] after his death falling from an upper level walkway was ruled a suicide (even though the head of the navy pushed him)
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Nanu
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nanu »

Good ideas, all of you. Exactly how may of these did you want, Thrig?
"You can remove spells from your list in Morrowind. I think it was shift-click, don't quote me on that though." - Cathartis
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mnbsqv]Forum Rules[/url]
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mj594z]Moratorium[/url]
| [url=http://tinyurl.com/6msxag]Writing for TR[/url]
Tast
Developer

Post by Tast »

Thrignar Fraxix wrote: ATM the empire isn't currently funding smugglers, that was just a suggestion archived in the top of the tower for potential later use should dire circumstances warrant it.
him)
Not smugglers. The document is about groups of abolitionist and ex slave guerrillas who who are fighting Dunmer slavers on the eastern coast of Morrowind. Members of the Imperial bureaucracy who are strongly against slavery are secretly sending them funds.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Tast wrote:Not smugglers. The document is about groups of abolitionist and ex slave guerrillas who who are fighting Dunmer slavers on the eastern coast of Morrowind. Members of the Imperial bureaucracy who are strongly against slavery are secretly sending them funds.
Oh, I misread your thing for some reason. (mixed up east and west as well) An anti-slavery mission in eastern morrowind wouldn't be anywhere near as successful as your note says. The telvanni would not take kindly to interferences with their slaves and business, and would, due to the general lack of imperial presence in the area, be rather successful in thwarting any attempts to do so.
Nanu Ra wrote:Good ideas, all of you. Exactly how may of these did you want, Thrig?
I'm not sure yet. The secret archives only take up a 2x2 room, (figuring in the ladder to get in really only gives you 3 squares of space) so I can't put too many things in, but I do think it should have a fair quantity of literature in it. (Basically I will tell you all when to stop)
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Tast
Developer

Post by Tast »

So is that text all together unsuitable? Or did you want me to edit it? Or, better yet: Instead of being an actual report of actions that are taking place, would it be better if it was edited into a suggestion from a legion officer or other official?

I've come up with a few topics for some other possible books. If it's convenient for you, specify which you find interesting, and I'll work on them.

-Imperial archaeologist's report on an uncovered Dwemer siege weapon.
-Genealogy of a high ranked Indoril/Redoran family that reveals that many of their holdings were originally granted to them by the emperor, in return for cooperation.
-Secret report from a team of several Imperial spys (not Blades) who were involved in a smear campaign against an Indoril noble, which ultimately resulted in his disgrace and suicide. One of the agents has since defected to house Hlaalu,and the report is kept in case they need to blackmail him.
-Complex military plan detailing how the legions could utterly suppress the natives in Morrowind, in an extreme situation. Not likely to be used, and is somewhat unrealistic, but it is the last ditch plan to subdue Morrowind should it ever rebel and become a threat to the Empire.
-A boring list of magical research projects being subsidized by the Empire in Morrowind. However, amid all the tedious notes is an entry which implies that a cabal of necromancers are being paid to loot Dunmer ancestral tombs and conduct experiments on the corpses. Could possibly be altered to be a report from said necromancers, detailing their discoveries, and how they could be used against the Dunmer if they ever rebelled.
-Document assessing the possible advantage that could be gained from funding ashlanders who are attacking the trade caravans of a great house.
Jacurutu
Developer Emeritus

Post by Jacurutu »

Forensically, proving that someone was pushed vs. intentionally falling is difficult without eye-witness testimony -- otherwise, I think it would be beyond what people would be capable of figuring out. Identification of wounds from a preceeding struggle would be difficult to do, unless they were made by some weapon.

Also, I think that this would be classified because of the political ramifications of the event. An Imperial guard killing an Indoril noble (even one without the best reputation) would almost certainly provoke open conflict between the two factions. If I were in charge for the Imperials, I would definitely have classified this report and made sure to peg someone else for the crime. However, if you would prefer the murder vs. suicide type of investigation, I can certainly do that. Your call ;)
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

I by no means meant to suggest I didn't like or intend to use what you wrote already, I just thought you might like to do another. (I actually like it quite a bit, hence me asking for another)

I see your point about the falling thing, I guess never mind about that. (as I see it the guy was walking and the head of the navy pushed him over and disappeared)
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Jacurutu
Developer Emeritus

Post by Jacurutu »

Ah, I could certainly do another murder-mystery type of document. If you specifically want to have something implicating the Imperial Navy's commander, I think that it would most likely be a piracy case. He could have been financing pirates to take down merchant ships and then taking some cut of the profits.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

[url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=19395&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=40]see, I actually have this nice big list of NPCs in the i3-500 claim thread...[/url]
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Xui'al
Developer Emeritus

Post by Xui'al »

Tast wrote: -Complex military plan detailing how the legions could utterly suppress the natives in Morrowind, in an extreme situation. Not likely to be used, and is somewhat unrealistic, but it is the last ditch plan to subdue Morrowind should it ever rebel and become a threat to the Empire.
This is what I've always wanted to write. If only there weren't so many exams...
'What if man is not really a scoundrel - man in general, I mean, the whole race of mankind - then all the rest is prejudice, simply artificial terrors and there are no barriers and it's all as it should be.'
Jacurutu
Developer Emeritus

Post by Jacurutu »

I've already written something like that, "Military Tactics for the New Era, The Dunmer." Discusses Imperial tactics for dealing with the Dunmer (as well as local rebellions and heretical leaders).
Lud
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lud »

Please note that the Imperials are helping anti-slavery elements in the Telvannis region. This is part of the Duchess of Firewatch's plans to destabilise the local Telvanni lords and to try to extend imperial power by doing so. They're not really violent or anything, though. Read the q1-56 thread for more details. An acknowledgement that such an operation is ongoing and plans to step it up with military aid could work.
"It’s all been such a mistake. We were once little shrew-like animals. That would be so much better."
-Ophelia Benson
Tast
Developer

Post by Tast »

Well this was fun to write. Hopefully I'm not stealing Jacurutu's thunder. I'm not sure about all the lore, so feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Offensive War in Morrowind Assessed: The Constrictor Policy

Offensive War in Morrowind Assessed: The Constrictor Policy

Nearly four centuries of occupation have done little to dull the belligerent attitude held by many natives living in the province of Morrowind. At the behest of (insert legion commander name), a team of veteran legion and navy officers have compiled this report, intended to serve as the master battle plan should the peoples of Morrowind ever rebel against his Imperial Majesty the Emperor and threaten the peace and security of all Tamriel. The measures in this document are meant as a last contingency plan, should a scenario arise in which every other conceivable effort has failed to prevent a threat to the Empire from manifesting itself.

The name given to this plan by (insert navy commander name) is the “Constrictor Policy,â€Â￾ after the great snakes of the Black Marsh who slowly crush prey with their coils. A war against Morrowind would not be won quickly or easily, as the Dunmer possess countless skilled warriors, master wizards, and stalwart leaders. Thus the campaign would concentrate on three primary areas, covered in detail over the course of the following pages. Though progress under this strategy would be tedious, success would be assured as the Imperial noose tightened around the wayward province until its peoples were unquestionably subdued.

I. Sapping the Economic Strength of Morrowind

Prior to the Imperial domination of Morrowind, its economy was largely self-sufficient. Most trade goods remained within the province and each region maintained its own industries. Today, however, Morrowind is a vibrant center of transcontinental trade, generating huge profits for those involved. Ebony, volcanic glass, saltrice, kwama eggs, diamonds, leather, and rare alchemical ingredients form the bulk of Morrowind’s exports. Most trade involves unworked or raw materials, as Morrowind has no massive industrial centers. It is thus a province concerned primarily with mining and agriculture, with its economic vitality yoked to foreign markets.

That isn’t to say that Morrowind would be crippled in the case of complete isolation. Much of the populace consists of peasants and slaves involved in the raising of foodstuffs. In addition, the vast base of cheap labor and plentiful reserves of natural mineral resources mean that Morrowind has the capacity to supply most of the materials required to wage a prolonged war. However, without foreign money, there would exist little capital to invest in large scale production facilities for the manufacture of armaments, supplies, ships, and other items necessary for war. In addition, the lack of the massive profits generated by trade would not be conducive towards waging a full-scale conflict over the course of many years. Finally, the capture of these resources would result in huge profits which could be used to fund our own efforts.

With this in mind, Imperial policy concerning the economy of Morrowind during a war should pursue three goals. First, control of the waterways and coasts of Morrowind should be made a priority. A complete naval blockade would severely compromise trade. It would prevent the importation of slaves by the Telvanni and Dres as well, damaging their economies. Second, great efforts should be made to seize production centers, particularly the mines of Vvardenfell and the huge saltrice plantations of House Dres in the south. If these areas could not be held, they should be rendered unusable. This could be achieved by devastating the land and destroying equipment, and by liberating the slaves upon whose labor Morrowind depends. After control of the waterways has been achieved, Legion troopers can be marched quickly marched across swathes of territory, burning and destroying all they see, before rendezvousing with ships on the coast or a river and escaping unscathed. It is the belief of this committee that the city of Tear should be burned to the ground as soon as possible. It is a vulnerable city on the coast, within easy reach of a blitz attack by navy marines, and its destruction would serve as a huge blow to rebel prosperity and morale.

Finally, efforts should be made to court the smugglers, numerous throughout Morrowind. The operations of these free agents would undercut the profits of the Great Houses, especially in areas where they are particularly influential, such as the south-east coast of Vvardenfell. Even more critical would be the preservation of friendly relations with the Hlaalu. It is entirely possible that the merchant lords of House Hlaalu would remain loyal to the Empire if the right economic incentives were offered, thus providing Imperial forces in Morrowind with a lifeline of supplies, all the while further damaging the economy of the rebellion.

II. Troops Movements

It is almost certain that a first strike against Imperial forces would completely wipe out isolated garrisons; for example, Fort Buckmoth near Ald-Ruhn in the ash-wastes of Vvardenfell. Still, certain isolated fortifications, such as the mighty bastion of Firewatch would most likely hold out against all but the most dedicated of sieges.

With this in mind, the following two actions should be taken in the case of a large scale rebellion. First, the withdrawal of all Legion forces from areas that cannot be held, especially those in areas controlled by the Telvanni and Dres. These forces would instead be garrisoned in areas with a strong Imperial presence, especially Firewatch, the south of Vvardenfell, the area surrounding Old Ebonheart, and key regions within the Hlaalu district.

Second, new fortifications should be constructed in coastal areas unoccupied by the Great Houses. Of particular interest are the small islands between Morrowind and Black Marsh, the Sheogarad Islands, and the frozen island of Solstheim. These forts would aid in the blockade around Morrowind and provide staging grounds for raids into rebel territory.

Under no circumstances would prolonged marches be made across hostile territory. Our control of the waterways should be exploited to the fullest extent, allowing Legionnaires to spend no more than a week on foot. Otherwise division after division of troopers will be swallowed by the dark countryside of Morrowind.

The Imperial advantage in numbers should be pressed from the very outset of the war. Dedicated generals who are willing to throw their own troops into the teeth of the Dunmer defenses will be needed in a campaign against Morrowind. Loss of two, three, or even four Imperial soldiers for every Dunmer casualty is more than acceptable. Morrowind lacks a large body of well-trained civilian soldiers, relying instead on a dedicated warrior aristocracy. Although these individuals are unsurpassed in the martial arts, they are few in number. The Dunmer should be constantly put on the defensive. Our generals should confront them in battles in which they are forced to constantly thwart Imperial efforts to achieve a strategic advantage, without allowing the rebels any chance to pursue their own objectives.

The fanatical devotion of the Dunmer to the living Gods of the Tribunal can easily be used against them. Threats and sieges on Dunmer holy sites can be employed to pull their forces away from more strategic targets. Note that certain sites should not be the target of direct assaults, including the holy city of Vivec, Port Telvannis, and any city located within the dangerous Ashlands.

III. Destroying Enemy Moral

The Dunmer have a penchant for making martyrs out of individuals who die defending traditional values. Thus, it is not clear what effect the assassination of important generals, lords, and priests would have. Some have suggested that because the Dunmer objection to the Empire is based primarily on their deeply ingrained traditions instead of the rhetoric of any contemporary leader, killing off political or religious figures would only further agitate a rebellion. Others believe that killing as much of the insurgent leadership as possible would foment a rebellion within the rebellion, as the lower ranks struggle to gain control.

Most interesting is the possibility of slaying the God-kings themselves. The works of our scholars suggest that these individuals could prove to be quite vulnerable. A cabal of powerful mages working in collusion with skilled assassins could achieve more than a hundred thousand legion troopers. It should be noted, however, that the Tribunal- especially Lord Vivec-may not necessarily support an armed rebellion against the Empire. Vivec would certainly be aware of the massive loss of Dunmer life that would most likely result, and work hard to maintain stable, peaceful relations between the West and Morrowind. The actions of the enigmatic Sotha-Sil are hard to predict, and we cannot count on him to act as either an enemy or an ally. Ever the patriot, Almalexia would likely be at the forefront of any armed rebellion against the Empire. She should be quickly neutralized, before her influence turns the other aspects of the Tribunal against us.

In terms of propaganda, we should concentrate on reminding the commoners of the prosperity brought to Morrowind by the Empire. We should point out the archaic feudal system dominating many regions, forcing most Dunmer to live a life of servitude. Most of all we should emphasize the indifference exhibited by many Great House nobles, especially those of the Telvanni and Dres. Convincing the unwashed masses of Morrowind that it is not worth dying for a country that does not care about them would certainly help win the war.

As previously mentioned, the Dres capital of Tear would be a prime target for a propaganda victory early in a war. A risky yet potentially devastating move would be to march a large army quickly through the south of Morrowind, burning crops, freeing slaves, and plundering everything of value in its path. This destructive “march to the seaâ€Â￾ would culminate in the destruction of Tear. However, as noted before, a lightning fast marine attack could prove more effective, should rebel defenses be well entrenched.

IV. Notes and Additional Advice

The existence of slavery in Morrowind presents an interesting possibility. Our forces would liberate vast numbers of slaves in their raids, and these refugees could provide cheap or free labor for the war effort. They could even be used as expendable shock troops. It is easy to believe that an ex-slave would be braver than the most hardened legionnaire in the effort to defeat the system that abused him for years. Thus, this committee recommends that two actions be taken should a war arise. First, at the outset of the conflict, a proclamation of abolition should be made. This proclamation would free slaves who reside in regions rebelling against the Empire of Tamriel. We should be careful to only support the emancipation of slaves in insurgent areas, lest we alienate potential slave-holding allies in House Hlaalu. Second, a system for dealing with escaped or freed slaves should be formed. Included in it would be a provision for creating volunteer regiments composed entirely of ex-slaves. These troops would be a vicious force, especially when unleashed upon the hated Telvanni or Dres.

Dissident elements within Dunmer society itself could also serve as allies. Heretical religious groups might be used as spies and saboteurs. The disenfranchised Ashlander tribes could serve as guides and advance scouts. Dignitaries should be sent to these groups in advance, to secure their good will in case their aid is ever needed. In addition, the possibility of funding a guerilla war waged by these two factions against the Great Houses should be explored.

The importance of maintaining good relations with the Hlaalu cannot be stressed enough. In continuing our alliance Great House Hlaalu we would maintain supply routes between the Imperial province and Morrowind. In addition, we could draw on vast reserves of native troops to supplement our own legions, benefit from the use of the friendly Dunmer strongholds and cities, and claim a propaganda victory by backing a loyal Hlaalu noble as the “legitimateâ€Â￾ king of Morrowind. It should not be hard to prevent the Hlaalu from rebelling. They have essentially cast their lot in with the Imperials, and any successful rebellion against the Empire would seriously compromise the huge economic and political gains made by the house since the armistice. Indeed, the threat of being persecuted by the Redoran and Indoril should itself be enough to insure the continued loyalty of House Hlaalu.

Some of the stiffest resistance to Imperial offensives would most likely be found in the Redoran dominated north-west of Morrowind. This could be overcome by making concessions to the Nords of Skyrim. In return for grants of land and gold, Nordic warriors could be convinced to pour into regions under Redoran control, forcing them to fight a defensive war instead of coming to the aid of their allies in the south and east. House Indoril will likely fight to the last man in any rebellion against the Empire. However, a prolonged war of attrition with those zealots could be prevented by neutralizing the Tribunal, by diplomacy or assassination, as previously discussed in this report. House Telvanni could pose a major threat to the Empire in Morrowind. The isles of the mad wizard lords would easily repel all but the most concerted of attacks, and the magicks of Telvanni mages could turn the tide of many battles. However, the decentralized Telvanni power structure is vulnerable to divide and conquer tactics. With luck, we would be able to pick off isolated Telvanni lords one by one. In addition, the anarchic nature of Telvanni politics could be used against them during a war. By exploiting rivalries within the power structure, and eliminating a few key figures, the glue of Telvanni society would disapper, reducing their armies to squabbling demi-factions.

It is hoped by this committee that the plan laid down in this document will never be needed. A war between the West and Morrowind would result in massive loss of life on both sides, as well as the utter economic ruin of Morrowind, in addition to incurring massive costs for the Empire. A successful rebellion in Morrowind would encourage malcontents in other provinces to take action. Such a war must be prevented at all costs. Still, the need for a plan is undeniable, and the individuals in the Legions and Imperial Navy remain dedicated to preserving the sanctity of Imperial law throughout Tamriel, whatever it may take.
Last edited by Tast on Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jacurutu
Developer Emeritus

Post by Jacurutu »

Argh, my thunder!

One thing I would include is the possibility of retaining an alliance with Great House Hlaalu. They have tied their fate to the fate of the Empire, and assuming that the Imperials ever were kicked out, the other Great Houses would probably seize many of their holdings as punishment (particularly a bitter and vengeful House Indoril).

Most of the lore looks pretty good, but I did a scan as opposed to a thorough reading. One thing: Vivec actually negotiated the surrender of Morrowind directly with Tiber Septim when the Empire came in. If anything, the Tribunal is working to maintain that stability.
presh
Developer

Post by presh »

I like it a lot. I would also emphasize the importance of the Hlaalu remaining Imperial allies, as this would help keep the mountainous border passes open.

Also, if it came to war, one way to undercut the rebellion's economy would be to announce the abolition of slavery in Morrowind - this would make it difficult to maintain a slave based economy.

Possibly overtures could be made to Nord leaders in Skyrim, perhaps to threaten the North-west of Morrowind. House Redoran has the best warriors, and if they were worried about a possible Nord incursion, they would be less willing to provide troops for other actions away from their core areas.

The border of Blackmarsh could take care of itself - and I would not be willing to station Imperial troops there, due to the risk of disease. Like you say, the best plan would likely involve an amphibious attack on Tear, and maintaining control along the River Thirr. That way Ebonheart is linked to the Hlaalu bases and House Redoran is split off from the likely core of the rebellion, in Indoril and Dres lands.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence."
-- M. Ghandi
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Tast book 1 wrote:Slavery sabotaouge in NE MW
In light of Lud's comments I guess it would work. Needs to be more wordy though.
Tast book 2 wrote:Plan for MW smacking
Once again I think it needs to be more wordy. Perhaps when the concerns of the other posters are taken care of this could be fixed.
Jacurutu wrote:Argh, my thunder!
If you seriously already wrote something like this, please post it. (or is it in BoT... I can't remember...)
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Jacurutu
Developer Emeritus

Post by Jacurutu »

Both texts appear in BoT: "Military Tactics for the New Era" and "The Process of Colonization in Morrowind." The first is dated to the beginning of the 3rd era, and the second is written by a non-Imperial author -- they do cover several of the same topics though. The first text covers the Dunmer relatively briefly, and the length of their section is a little more than 1 page single-spaced in MS Word. The second text talks about how the Empire has colonized Morrowind and ultimately suppressed the will to rebellion.
Tast
Developer

Post by Tast »

New, improved, and longer text has been added.

Currently working on retooling my first submission. I also have a question about another possible text. Would an intercepted message fit? It could describe the crazy scheme of some Telvanni lord to get rid of the Imperials by devastating them with a magickal plague. The imps keep it around in case he ever tries it.
Last edited by Tast on Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.